Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Very odd reading the board 08:22 - Oct 21 with 7397 viewsParlay

This is the most positive I've felt, probably ever, as a Swans fan.

Our team is great, the best we have ever had id say. We have a young and hungry manager who knows and understands what we are all about, top half of the Premier League and playing really well (if not getting the rewards as of late). Yet the forum once again is doom and gloom, i honestly cant put my finger on why.

Ive always maintained that the feeling on a forum never represents the true feeling of the masses and I hope this is the case once again as its shocking to read at times. The amount of eye rolls and disbelieving sighs I've done in the last 30 mins reading this beggars belief.

I for one am loving things at the moment, a very refreshing change from the one dimensional, heartless, lack lustre performances of the last 12 months of the Laudrup era.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Very odd reading the board on 11:13 - Oct 21 with 971 views_

Very odd reading the board on 10:35 - Oct 21 by monmouth

Do we? Not sure about that mate. We CAN play better, but if we played to top form every game we would be champions league contenders. We are not....and because we are inconsistent. These first 8 games overall have shown an overachievement (we would have been fourth had we beaten 'a team like stoke' - away) and anyone that doesn't think that we will intersperse splashes of brilliance amongst patches of dirge is living in cloud cuckoo land. We will have some great results, some terrible results and some run of the mill results and I reckon, wash up around 9-12 with a potential high of 7 with a spectacular following wind (which we aren't getting recently). An adverse wind might take us down to 14-15, but I think no lower.

So yes, some of the hysteria for us not 'meeting our potential' is, in my view at least, simply based on wholly unrealistic 'ambitions' that take no account of the environment we are in.

2 points out of 15 is a little worrying, though, Mon?

And I think, personally, is not meeting our potential.

And for me, that's all that's going on here. Discussion and debate around our slide and the evident pressure our rookie manager is feeling.

Ignore posters from afar talking shite. Everyone on here wants the success for the Swans and personal kudos means fack all if that were to be achieved no matter who was in charge. It's embarrassing to even mention or think it.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Very odd reading the board on 11:18 - Oct 21 with 960 viewsSpratty

Very odd reading the board on 10:50 - Oct 21 by monmouth

I think we can all agree that the 3 points on saturday are pretty big, in points, confidence and momentum terms.

Points can be gained or lost on such small things

Losing to Stoke (whilst disappointing with a stronger team) is no big deal in itself. It is certainly nothing new. What is more so is to have games by the balls and let them go, not take our strong chances (the latter again nothing new). The way we lost our cohesion and trail off. The important thing is to address this whilst there is still lots of time. We have so much talent, possibly more than ever before and we need to make it count.

I agree 3 points on Sat are important for confidence and considering the schedule ahead. But in itself no one game should define us at this stage. More important the way we play and our resilience.
Very odd reading the board on 11:22 - Oct 21 with 956 viewsjackonicko

Very odd reading the board on 08:51 - Oct 21 by Brynmill_Jack

Ah yes the "beats being in the lower leagues" line that quite often gets trotted out when performances are poor and we're not picking up points..........

Of course it's the best time to be a Swans fan, beats going to Aldershot in 86 or 87 and seeing us get walloped 4-1 but what's that got to do with us not strengthening where we really needed to and looking generally rudderless in the past four or five games?

If we had approached things differently both in the transfer market and tactically we could very likely be second or third. Where's your ambition for the team you love?

Just an aside, but that 4-1 defeat away to Aldershot in '87 was my very first Swans game!

David d'Auria with the consolation, if I recall correctly. Tommy Hutch marauding down the wing - in his 40s but the best player on the pitch.

Unfortunately, the other 10 were not as good as Aldershot. Those were the days!
Very odd reading the board on 11:24 - Oct 21 with 955 viewsPrivate_Partz

Very odd reading the board on 09:05 - Oct 21 by perchrockjack

its quite simple and really things are being masked on here.
Some didn't see Monk s appointment as smart and stated so on here.
THEY want him to fail to be proven right which is why they are hammering Monk NOW ,hence the fish full of shirt stuff.

WHEN he is sacked eventually they will glory in being proven correct.
It is that what this board is about right now.
It is why the open abuse is now more subtle.

It stinks ... I d suggest also that those who didn't like Monks appointment are the ones who ve been the most abusive,insulting and the ones least likely to show any respect at all to fellow fans.

THIS post is on topic and does not contain personal insults. Its aimed to whomsoever the cap fits.

Don't agree with that at all. You have your personal battles with a couple on here and I would certainly not get involved with any of that.
I was concerned about Monk' s appointment and whilst I am doing my best to support him I still have some worries.
Please don't tar us all with the same brush as there are many on here who express the same views as me and do it in a polite manner.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2014 13:15]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Very odd reading the board on 11:26 - Oct 21 with 949 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Very odd reading the board on 11:01 - Oct 21 by Parlay

Well at times in the first half it was breathtaking for me, superb football by our front 4 and solid in defence. For me the pen changed it all, the timing was horrific just before half time and being the away side the second half was always going to be a different story from there on in.

The penalty brought them level but the real game changer was putting Cameron to nullify Bony, which he did superbly. No outlet left us defending for most of the second half. That's our main line of disagreement and while the penalty shouldn't have been given we've ALL seen them given. Geoff Cameron coming on and our resultant inability to change tack was the reason we lost the game, not the penalty.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Very odd reading the board on 11:28 - Oct 21 with 943 viewsParlay

Very odd reading the board on 11:26 - Oct 21 by Brynmill_Jack

The penalty brought them level but the real game changer was putting Cameron to nullify Bony, which he did superbly. No outlet left us defending for most of the second half. That's our main line of disagreement and while the penalty shouldn't have been given we've ALL seen them given. Geoff Cameron coming on and our resultant inability to change tack was the reason we lost the game, not the penalty.

Geoff Cameron coming in nullified Bony but we still would have been 1-0 up at half time. They would have then had to make changes to counter that. The game changer was the penalty, the reason we couldn't get back into it maybe was down to Cameron's job on Bony. We were already winning.

Forum celebrity

Very odd reading the board on 11:45 - Oct 21 with 923 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Very odd reading the board on 11:24 - Oct 21 by Private_Partz

Don't agree with that at all. You have your personal battles with a couple on here and I would certainly not get involved with any of that.
I was concerned about Monk' s appointment and whilst I am doing my best to support him I still have some worries.
Please don't tar us all with the same brush as there are many on here who express the same views as me and do it in a polite manner.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2014 13:15]

Spot on PP.

I had serious doubts about Garry Monk when he was appointed but he's done an excellent job overall considering his lack of experience and I have supported him all the way as I have done with all our managers.

There are concerns at the moment and they should be expressed on here as people see fit provided those concerns are expressed without abuse. Ignoring the immediate aftermath of a disappointing defeat when it's like a circus on here, about 36 hours later you get sensible discussion of what's wrong and how it could be put right. That's what this board should be about and at it's best it is.

Here's some interesting tables (well they are to me, anyway)

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/PR/fsthalf.html

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/PR/sndhalf.html

They show that in the first half we are the 4th best team in the league and are unbeaten up to half time.

In the second half we are 18th.

Why is that?
Are we not fit enough?
Are we being out-managed by the opposition in terms of substitutions and tactics as the game unfolds?
Is it just coincidence?

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Very odd reading the board on 11:47 - Oct 21 with 919 views_

Very odd reading the board on 11:28 - Oct 21 by Parlay

Geoff Cameron coming in nullified Bony but we still would have been 1-0 up at half time. They would have then had to make changes to counter that. The game changer was the penalty, the reason we couldn't get back into it maybe was down to Cameron's job on Bony. We were already winning.

Ok, so the game was even at half time.

Bear in mind mate, that we had a very "fortuitous" penalty. Regardless of whether the whole football world thought it should be given, you simply just don't see that.

So no, the game changer wasn't the pen and if you argue that point you'd have to include ours as their game changer.

Whilst at 1-1 and the game very much in the balance we run out of ideas and were losing any sort of grip on the game. We ran out of ideas to the extent that Monk made the fatal mistake of going a 4-4-2 of sorts and we lost our shape, Bony looked lost, lost possession over and over again and lost all cohesion - losing the game.

We had 45 minutes with no injuries to exert our obvious better talent over them.

Why didn't we do that? Are we that fragile we can't deal with soft decisions against us and instead of masking the frailties above we go bleating to the media how hard done we've been, or do we stand up and fight and show an ability to read games, get grips on them and keep our levels up for 95 minutes?!

This Leicester game should never have been the must win it is now becoming, simple as that.

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Login to get fewer ads

Very odd reading the board on 11:47 - Oct 21 with 919 viewsParlay

Very odd reading the board on 11:45 - Oct 21 by Joe_bradshaw

Spot on PP.

I had serious doubts about Garry Monk when he was appointed but he's done an excellent job overall considering his lack of experience and I have supported him all the way as I have done with all our managers.

There are concerns at the moment and they should be expressed on here as people see fit provided those concerns are expressed without abuse. Ignoring the immediate aftermath of a disappointing defeat when it's like a circus on here, about 36 hours later you get sensible discussion of what's wrong and how it could be put right. That's what this board should be about and at it's best it is.

They show that in the first half we are the 4th best team in the league and are unbeaten up to half time.

Why is that?
Are we not fit enough?
Are we being out-managed by the opposition in terms of substitutions and tactics as the game unfolds?
Is it just coincidence?

That is interesting I must say.

Forum celebrity

Very odd reading the board on 11:51 - Oct 21 with 910 viewsDr_Winston

Spot on PP.

Why is that?
Are we not fit enough?
Is it just coincidence?

The second half issue has been an ongoing theme since last season.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Very odd reading the board on 12:09 - Oct 21 with 879 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Very odd reading the board on 11:51 - Oct 21 by Dr_Winston

The second half issue has been an ongoing theme since last season.

Indeed
teams press us & we start to panic .
Our injury list isn't helping & Lady Luck is avoiding us at all costs.
We will be in the usual relegation battle all season with all the other usual suspects in the bottom 10 .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Very odd reading the board on 12:12 - Oct 21 with 874 views_

Spot on PP.

Why is that?
Are we not fit enough?
Is it just coincidence?

No coincidence now Joe.... Not with 6 months worth of example.

The line Monk trots out, "we're asking them to take on a lot of information.... "

Really, what do you think that's all about?

The Swans are becoming a soft touch and once we've shot our load we seem more vulnerable than most. I think it's fair to say that about flair teams, of which I would describe us. Teams are thinking if we can contain Swansea when they're all fired up and fresh and stay in the game, we know we can start to disrupt them as the game will go on. Stop them playing, spoil the game and take advantage when their heads go down, cos they will....

You don't need a sports psychologist to work that out, you need a manager to pick payers capable of dealing with such tactics, a bench with options, genuine options, not just change one winger and one attacker, and you need players to not let soft decisions affect their objective.

Keeping shape at all times is also important and if what was working so well in the first half isn't working so well in the second, stop facking doing it and skin the cat a different way.

Refereeing decisions my arse.

Very odd reading the board on 12:33 - Oct 21 with 856 viewsMrSwan

We won three games against a much poorer united team then than they are now we scraped a win at home against newly promote Burnley and we beat West Brom and that's what we should be doing we then lost understandably to Chelsea however that was an embarrassing core line and the only half decent result after that was the Sunderland draw away which was a dreadful performance also and all we are saying is 'At the moment we are not in the bottom 3 so its ok lets just hope we can finish at least 17th or above and we can all be happy' The attitudes shown by Swansea City fans right now are all wrong and we should be looking at why that is

Poll: Do you rate Shelvey?

Very odd reading the board on 12:40 - Oct 21 with 853 views_

Very odd reading the board on 12:33 - Oct 21 by MrSwan

We won three games against a much poorer united team then than they are now we scraped a win at home against newly promote Burnley and we beat West Brom and that's what we should be doing we then lost understandably to Chelsea however that was an embarrassing core line and the only half decent result after that was the Sunderland draw away which was a dreadful performance also and all we are saying is 'At the moment we are not in the bottom 3 so its ok lets just hope we can finish at least 17th or above and we can all be happy' The attitudes shown by Swansea City fans right now are all wrong and we should be looking at why that is

You could argue we have had only 2 solid performances - Man U away and West Brom home. The rest have big question marks over them, particularly our awful win against Burnley.

When you strip our season down to the bones there's much to talk about and prepare for. Not just we're as good as we've ever been and we'll finish comfortably mid table, that's a bit too half soaked and potentially naive for me.

Very odd reading the board on 13:01 - Oct 21 with 825 viewsicecoldjack

Very odd reading the board on 12:09 - Oct 21 by oh_tommy_tommy

Indeed
teams press us & we start to panic .
Our injury list isn't helping & Lady Luck is avoiding us at all costs.
We will be in the usual relegation battle all season with all the other usual suspects in the bottom 10 .

Not to open a can of worms but this was one ofnthe things laudrup was trying to evolve ,that was to move it faster through the middle and not play across teams so much,allowing time to set defensive lines, making them think about what we were going to do, we have reverted to a more rodgers ball system at times imo, and teams are alot happier playing against this perhaps more comtrolled approach.

Whennwe move it faster through the middle mlike the first half against chelsea and again first half against stoke its blinding to watch, and causes problems, but once that is nulified we seem to be a bit lost.

Leicster will be interestimg as they will sit deep,frustrate us and play on the break, got my ticket sorted so will be looking forward to seeing how we go about it.

As for injuries i feel we arnt so worse off, if we lose rangel,taylor,siggy or bony that will be a bigger problem imo.

Leon is certainly being missed though.

Of course,there were varying results with both systems
Very odd reading the board on 13:17 - Oct 21 with 802 viewsmonmouth

Very odd reading the board on 11:13 - Oct 21 by _

2 points out of 15 is a little worrying, though, Mon?

And I think, personally, is not meeting our potential.

And for me, that's all that's going on here. Discussion and debate around our slide and the evident pressure our rookie manager is feeling.

Ignore posters from afar talking shite. Everyone on here wants the success for the Swans and personal kudos means fack all if that were to be achieved no matter who was in charge. It's embarrassing to even mention or think it.

Yes of course, and maybe I'm just trying to submerge a growing anxiety? (I'd need some Shaky Shonky Psyche advice on that one), but I think Parlay is right that the overall tone is overly negative and it feeds off itself too much. Truth is that all games except WBA and the second half against Soton could have gone either way, and that's generally the case for a team like us in the PL. Hell, it's generally the case for Arsenal, Man U and Everton at the moment too.

So it just depends if you want to see that uncertainty in a positive light (we could now have 16 points with a bit more luck), or a negative light (we can't play second half, we can't defend, we were lucky to beat Burnley etc). Personally, in my guts, I'm still feeling rather positive about the way we are shaping up (we won't always be without JJS or Leon, and some players won't always have a mare). So I post in that light.

If we can't impose ourselves on Saturday and concede the second half again (those stats were sobering, but undoubtedly a genuine reflection....can we handle going a goal up....?) then I might feel differently, but I think we are pretty much where we deserve to be overall.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Very odd reading the board on 13:18 - Oct 21 with 801 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Very odd reading the board on 12:12 - Oct 21 by _

No coincidence now Joe.... Not with 6 months worth of example.

The line Monk trots out, "we're asking them to take on a lot of information.... "

Really, what do you think that's all about?

The Swans are becoming a soft touch and once we've shot our load we seem more vulnerable than most. I think it's fair to say that about flair teams, of which I would describe us. Teams are thinking if we can contain Swansea when they're all fired up and fresh and stay in the game, we know we can start to disrupt them as the game will go on. Stop them playing, spoil the game and take advantage when their heads go down, cos they will....

You don't need a sports psychologist to work that out, you need a manager to pick payers capable of dealing with such tactics, a bench with options, genuine options, not just change one winger and one attacker, and you need players to not let soft decisions affect their objective.

Keeping shape at all times is also important and if what was working so well in the first half isn't working so well in the second, stop facking doing it and skin the cat a different way.

Refereeing decisions my arse.

"we're asking them to take on a lot of information.... "

That's worrying to be honest.

It suggests that the players are struggling to absorb lots of "insight" from the management.

Self-aggrandisement would be unfortunate from a manager with so little experience.

Garry's overall results are good for a rookie which we shouldn't ignore. He needs to learn fast though because there are clear indications that he is being out-managed during the second half of games when substitutions and tactical nous are so important.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Very odd reading the board on 13:46 - Oct 21 with 780 viewsLeonisGod

It the way roundedness of our performances. It would be a completely different atmosphere if we were shoite first half and then finished off on a stormer. Everyone would be saying how how unlucky we were if we went in 2-0 down at the break and then came back to 2-1 (or 2-2) and only narrowly missed out on a draw (or win), whilst playing the other team off the park for large chunks of the match.
Very odd reading the board on 13:52 - Oct 21 with 772 views_

Very odd reading the board on 13:17 - Oct 21 by monmouth

Yes of course, and maybe I'm just trying to submerge a growing anxiety? (I'd need some Shaky Shonky Psyche advice on that one), but I think Parlay is right that the overall tone is overly negative and it feeds off itself too much. Truth is that all games except WBA and the second half against Soton could have gone either way, and that's generally the case for a team like us in the PL. Hell, it's generally the case for Arsenal, Man U and Everton at the moment too.

So it just depends if you want to see that uncertainty in a positive light (we could now have 16 points with a bit more luck), or a negative light (we can't play second half, we can't defend, we were lucky to beat Burnley etc). Personally, in my guts, I'm still feeling rather positive about the way we are shaping up (we won't always be without JJS or Leon, and some players won't always have a mare). So I post in that light.

If we can't impose ourselves on Saturday and concede the second half again (those stats were sobering, but undoubtedly a genuine reflection....can we handle going a goal up....?) then I might feel differently, but I think we are pretty much where we deserve to be overall.

What worries me reading your post there Mon, is how many points we could have been on.

It's not inconceivable we could have been on 7 points with 2 draws against Burnley and Man U. You could certainly make a strong argument we were lucky to just hold on against them. Monk said at the time, thinking about it that we showed grit in seeing a game out - perhaps a tactic - one that's deserted us of late, that's for sure.

7 points would be bottom 3.

That's all that's in these type of discussions and margins.

Very odd reading the board on 15:51 - Oct 21 with 716 viewsperchrockjack

pp.
Not at all, I dont.
Don't be misled

THE FANS from far away our our real fans.. Take a bow all of yous.

We re picking the bones of a bad day at Stoke, one where we had one of our players virtually hauled to the ground by Shawcross who s been doing that all his career and has taken no heed of any warning. No body in media land thp0ught it contentious.

Hughes being a proven bullshitter saw it differently

Stoke were awarded a penalty when Rangel had a "fistful " of shirt around Moses. There must be a Biblical analogy there somewhere.

It changed the game, but some of our own fans thought it didn't , so there we have it..
btw,,, could second coming and brynmill jack agree as has been spouted that all fans opinions are welcomed on here.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Very odd reading the board on 16:43 - Oct 21 with 692 viewsskippyjack

Very odd reading the board on 08:55 - Oct 21 by Parlay

By approached things differently do you mean generally bought everyone we needed? Not as simple as that is it. It was the best transfer window in memory.

As for the tactics. That can be blamed every single time we don't win, we are playing as well as we ever have in the Premier League for my money.

Im sure everyone is ambitious but with ambition you need realism otherwise it becomes corrosive. We could be 2nd and people could then be angry we are not top and put it at "ambition's" door.

As i see it, creating a negative atmosphere when we are doing well (8th in Premier League) whether it be in the name of misplaced ambition or not, is doing more harm for the club we love than looking at it for what it is and naturally beaming with pride.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2014 9:00]

It's not his approach.. he's just missing a few simple things that win matches.. his experience as a manager is being questioned these last 5 games.. a few experienced managers would've noticed his rookie mistakes.. I know what he's got to do for the 2nd half collapses.. but he's got to learn.. he should ask Alex Ferguson for advice to tackle this problem.. we're a model club that plays by the rules.. he'll happily help him..

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Very odd reading the board on 17:07 - Oct 21 with 676 views_

Very odd reading the board on 16:43 - Oct 21 by skippyjack

It's not his approach.. he's just missing a few simple things that win matches.. his experience as a manager is being questioned these last 5 games.. a few experienced managers would've noticed his rookie mistakes.. I know what he's got to do for the 2nd half collapses.. but he's got to learn.. he should ask Alex Ferguson for advice to tackle this problem.. we're a model club that plays by the rules.. he'll happily help him..

Monk countered Cameron coming on by putting Gomis on as well - I guess to have another outlet through the middle and freshening up one wide option.

It was such a bold move when, ok, we weren't playing at the same level as we did in the first half, but the game was also very finely in the balance. He gave it 3 minutes to check out their 2 changes and what we were left with was a tiring, frustrated Bony operating in the same zones as Gomis. Monetero tried his best to push us forward and get behind but he was too isolated as we didn't have a proper CM or ACM linking up with our flanks, we were just left with 2 forwards who we know can't play together and we lost all pattern and shape and the game just slowly edged away from us as they were able to get more time on the ball or push up more effectively as we couldnt keep the ball in their final third very effectively at all.

A sloppy pass, Bony in no mans land with the tamest of weak challenges, Fede getting pulled up to cover DM's position and leaving the line, a good cross and header and bang... we were never getting back into it after that.

That's just basic analysis of a second half slipping away and how the 2 team's changes affected the game. Monk knew his changes had backfired completely. It must have brought back nightmares of the Villareal pre season game and he got frustrated knowing this was the 5th game without a win - this is the true source of his outburst and anger....

Also there are many, many posters from afar with a great insight and knowledge and passion for our club, from London to Australia to Carlisle and wherever Icecoldjack is flying from (where is that by the way?) - But sadly there is one or two that offer very little in terms of any sort of insight or knowledge and more often than not spout the most ridiculous nonsense. Knowing to take such contributions with the contempt they deserve is key. Avoid at all costs.

Very odd reading the board on 17:11 - Oct 21 with 673 viewsDrizzy

Very odd reading the board on 13:52 - Oct 21 by _

What worries me reading your post there Mon, is how many points we could have been on.

It's not inconceivable we could have been on 7 points with 2 draws against Burnley and Man U. You could certainly make a strong argument we were lucky to just hold on against them. Monk said at the time, thinking about it that we showed grit in seeing a game out - perhaps a tactic - one that's deserted us of late, that's for sure.

7 points would be bottom 3.

That's all that's in these type of discussions and margins.

So you mean if we had 4 points less at this very early stage of the season, we'd be significantly lower than we are now?

Never.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2014 17:11]

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Very odd reading the board on 17:48 - Oct 21 with 639 views_

Very odd reading the board on 17:11 - Oct 21 by Drizzy

So you mean if we had 4 points less at this very early stage of the season, we'd be significantly lower than we are now?

Never.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2014 17:11]

Didn't you start a thread last night about the Football Board... I didn't read it like everyone else it seems... Ever wondered why, kid?

Very odd reading the board on 18:13 - Oct 21 with 999 views_

I'll show you how to make a post worth reading while I'm at it shall I? Stick to raving or happy house or whatever else you may have a knack for cos you know Jack about football. Off you go now....ok.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024