Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Lionous Monk 21:14 - Oct 21 with 965 viewsNeiltheTaylor

This weekend, Monk went up in my estimation. His comments for me were Cloughesque.

As a club rebuilt on values regarding giving supporters what they would like, rather than what a disconnected board demands, his appeal to values really spoke to me. Then today I read:

Monk revealed: "We fine players for simulation, for surrounding refs, for questioning decisions given in training.

"So when we follow those rules, but get punished on a weekend, it is hard for me to convince the players to keep following those rules.

"But I have said to them if we are going to win, we will win properly because you will get more satisfaction out of it.

"I don't believe in players going to ground if they have not been touched. If that were to happen I would deal with it afterwards.

"It is the way I want to do it, winning a game purely gives you more satisfaction then cheating to get a result."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/cheat-row-swansea-boss-garry-monk-44

I guess the indications were there with his falling out with Chico, but maybe, just maybe, we have a manager to bring a broader set of values beyond style of play into the modern, cynical game.

Maybe we have found our Clough? I hope that, if he does look for inspiration to great recent managers, he prefers Clough to those influenced by the snide cheating and gamesmanship shown by others - driven by fear to make the sport a little less than it should be.

As an aside; reading back through some old Clough articles I found this:

Clough might have become manager of England but the faint-hearts at the FA did not fancy the cut of his jib, and he was on the point of becoming Welsh coach in 1988 when the Forest directors vetoed the move. Typically, Clough's interview at the Welsh FA was not the standard question-and-answer routine. "I can't promise to give the team talk in Welsh," he told them, "but from now on I shall be taking my holidays in Porthcawl and I've bought a complete set of Harry Secombe albums."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2295033/Brian-Cloughs-words-and-deeds-

Didn't realise that.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2014 21:15]

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

The Lionous Monk on 21:52 - Oct 21 with 864 viewsDewi1jack

Good read.

Forgot how forthright Mr Clough could be

"Their 3-1 defeat by Juventus was shrouded in controversy after it subsequently emerged that the West German referee had accepted 'gifts' from the Turin club before the tie; Clough - at his diplomatic best - not only accused Juventus of being "cheating bastards" but questioned Italian courage in the Second World War."

If Garry had made comments like that, there's plenty of prats on here would have crucified him long before the FA had got hold of him

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

The Lionous Monk on 21:56 - Oct 21 with 850 viewsSpratty

Good post

Don't think he fell out with Chico whilst he was manager in fact at the end of the season Garry described him as magnificent for him and had wanted Chico to stay.

All this work seems to be paying off ......
https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/4CB68597511125237934207979520_26dbecf7cfe.5.1.693
The Lionous Monk on 21:58 - Oct 21 with 839 viewsSpratty

The Lionous Monk on 21:52 - Oct 21 by Dewi1jack

Good read.

"Their 3-1 defeat by Juventus was shrouded in controversy after it subsequently emerged that the West German referee had accepted 'gifts' from the Turin club before the tie; Clough - at his diplomatic best - not only accused Juventus of being "cheating bastards" but questioned Italian courage in the Second World War."

If Garry had made comments like that, there's plenty of prats on here would have crucified him long before the FA had got hold of him

Yeah because racism is so cool
The Lionous Monk on 22:01 - Oct 21 with 821 views_

The Lionous Monk on 21:52 - Oct 21 by Dewi1jack

Good read.

Come on now Dewi kid, quite a lot has changed since Clough was a manager and Alf Garnett was in the ICF

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

The Lionous Monk on 22:19 - Oct 21 with 767 viewslonglostjack

Thinking about this in the cold light of day I think Gary is on to a winner. In the heat of the moment during a game I've often thought about how "naiive" we are and my primitive instincts take over, that's what being a fan is all about. But maybe we should step back and think long term. Let's build on the Swansea way and be one step ahead. Large corporations ie potential sponsors will want to be associated with a "brand" that has a good public image. I would love to see us set an alternative agenda and challenge the FA and conventional thinking.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

The Lionous Monk on 23:29 - Oct 21 with 678 viewsRancid

The Lionous Monk on 22:01 - Oct 21 by _

Come on now Dewi kid, quite a lot has changed since Clough was a manager and Alf Garnett was in the ICF

Beat me to it.
The Lionous Monk on 15:55 - Oct 22 with 457 viewsNeiltheTaylor

The Lionous Monk on 22:01 - Oct 21 by _

Some values are eternal and we would all do well to remember.

The Lionous Monk on 16:10 - Oct 22 with 450 views_

The Lionous Monk on 15:55 - Oct 22 by NeiltheTaylor

Some values are eternal and we would all do well to remember.

Labelling a whole country as cowards and using the "cheat" word again aren't eternal values to be respected are they?

I mean, don't get me wrong, we can afford a wry smile at that bygone - no holds barred - world - but can't afford to apply a similar way of thinking today.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Login to get fewer ads

The Lionous Monk on 16:17 - Oct 22 with 443 viewsNeiltheTaylor

The Lionous Monk on 16:10 - Oct 22 by _

Labelling a whole country as cowards and using the "cheat" word again aren't eternal values to be respected are they?

I mean, don't get me wrong, we can afford a wry smile at that bygone - no holds barred - world - but can't afford to apply a similar way of thinking today.

I imagine if I was a war child that I would consider Italian cowardice in the second world war.

By the by, I don't think his appeal to honesty by his team is antiquated. People were probably saying the same crap about him then (naive etc.). I want a team to be proud of and if what Monk has said in adversity is true I think he's on the right path.

The real test will be seeing what he does when one of ours misbehaves. Will he sub a player for simulation or hounding a ref?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024