Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Orders column: How can Mark Hughes offer Garry Monk any advice given his ow 11:31 - Oct 22 with 1286 viewsthomasJack

MEMORIES are strange things. This column can remember exactly where it was when it first heard Eric Clapton's guitar riff in Layla but cannot recall a single thing from hours of technical drawing lessons at school.

Chemistry, physics and maths – years of being stuck in various classrooms may as well not have happened.

Woodwork is a complete blank aside from being hit squarely on the chest with a mallet after displeasing the chap in charge, while the only thing remotely memorable about metalwork was plucking a white-hot poker from a forge – not clever.

Such is life.

The certainty is others draw the occasional blank as well, among them, on the evidence of this week, one Mark Hughes, who was moved to rebuke Garry Monk for daring to take the referee and Victor Moses to task after Sunday's diving controversy at the Britannia Stadium.

Hughes said: "It's a little bit emotional after games, especially when you've lost a game you were winning.

"There's a 20-minute window. Sky cameras want some flesh and sometimes you just have to bite your lip and be careful what you say because you can get yourself into trouble.

"There was no need for that from my point of view. He's disappointed, obviously, but the longer you're in this game, the more experience you get and sometimes you have to curb what you really feel. It's a situation that he needs to learn from."

What is to be said?

In the interest of clarity, we must ask the Stoke City manager: "Are you the same Leslie Mark Hughes who, in 2005, accused referee Steve Bennett of making a 'diabolical decision' and said of El-Hadji Diouf: 'He has a reputation for diving and he has enhanced it tonight'"?

Did you further say: "The referee was in exactly the right position to make the decision but he didn't – the lad dived. We have lost a point to a very poor refereeing decision. I blame them both, the referee and the player"?

Let's try another one.

"Are you the same Leslie Mark Hughes who, in 2006, accused the then England captain John Terry of deciding to 'collapse his knees' and fall in a heap to win a penalty for Chelsea against Blackburn"?

Did you say later: "Simulation is creeping into the game"?

Still unsure? Well, let's consider a more recent example. Could you be the same Leslie Mark Hughes who, in 2014, suggested England striker Raheem Sterling had gone down easily in the box against Stoke, the referee had 'bought it' and made a 'poor decision'"?

Thought so.

Really, you wonder how Hughes can seriously offer Monk advice given his own past candour in these matters.

Sometimes, speaking out after a questionable decision or action is admirable.

On Sunday, Monk's frustration was borne out of a poor refereeing decision and his reaction was understandable, if likely to land him in trouble, because the football authorities tend to celebrate straight talking as the Noise Abatement Society tend to applaud all-night raves.

He has in the past had issues with Chico Flores, underlining that individual managers can do only so much: simulation will be rooted out only if the game's rulers provide a clear lead and crack down harder on those who tumble too easily.

As for Stoke chairman Peter Coates's supposed intention to complain to the BBC about John Hartson's Match of the Day punditry – "Hartson was a disgrace. He's a big fan of Swansea and their manager … and it showed," opined Coates – if Big John were so inclined he might think of seeking legal recompense for having his professional integrity called so harshly and publicly into question.

But he is bigger than that.

Victor Moses?

The question is how he managed to stay on his feet when he walked to his car yesterday, given all that wind that was about.
http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Mark-Orders-column-Mark-Hughes-offer-Gar

Poll: Next signing

Mark Orders column: How can Mark Hughes offer Garry Monk any advice given his ow on 11:40 - Oct 22 with 1265 viewsscottishjack

No, no. That can't be right?

Mark Hughes and Stoke are a shining beacon to us all, showing us all what can be achieved when football is played properly.
Mark Orders column: How can Mark Hughes offer Garry Monk any advice given his ow on 11:51 - Oct 22 with 1233 viewsperchrockjack

Of course he can offer advice especially with regard to having he balls to remain the unmitigated hypocrite he s always been, one who s doom laden gob was the legacy of our frittering away THAT Wales Campaign which would have seen us qualify for something.

Another very good player but not and never will be a great manager.

Football ,as a whole, needs to take and use Monk as an example of honesty but it comes with a price . Its not easy but we can still be street wise- which we re not-. We still seem to be shafted by most teams.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Mark Orders column: How can Mark Hughes offer Garry Monk any advice given his ow on 17:54 - Oct 22 with 1050 viewsNeiltheTaylor

A cracking skewering of Hughes there.

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Mark Orders column: How can Mark Hughes offer Garry Monk any advice given his ow on 20:44 - Oct 22 with 943 viewsjackal

I remember Hughes playing in Europe for Man U. He went down clutching his face and rolling around in agony. Subsequent replays showed that he hadn't been touched. No wonder his players cheat.
Mark Orders column: How can Mark Hughes offer Garry Monk any advice given his ow on 23:08 - Oct 22 with 850 viewsLord_Bony

Spent a lot of time with mark as a kid.

Lovely fellah great to see him doin well....

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Mark Orders column: How can Mark Hughes offer Garry Monk any advice given his ow on 01:38 - Oct 23 with 800 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Where was this honesty of Monk's when he was club captain and we'd have players like Jordi Gomez, Chico and even Ben last season diving all over the place?

Or has he only developed this persona in the pas few months?

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Mark Orders column: How can Mark Hughes offer Garry Monk any advice given his ow on 06:28 - Oct 23 with 768 viewsjackal

Mark Orders column: How can Mark Hughes offer Garry Monk any advice given his ow on 01:38 - Oct 23 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Where was this honesty of Monk's when he was club captain and we'd have players like Jordi Gomez, Chico and even Ben last season diving all over the place?

At least now that he's manager he's doing something about it. I doubt that Hughes and the rest will, especially if refs keep getting conned by cheating b*stards and they keep winning games because of it.
Mark Orders column: How can Mark Hughes offer Garry Monk any advice given his ow on 11:32 - Oct 23 with 676 views1jack

Mark Orders column: How can Mark Hughes offer Garry Monk any advice given his ow on 01:38 - Oct 23 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Oh the past, let's all keep harking on about the past. Can we not look to the future? Are people not allowed to change, are people not allowed to think maybe what has happened before shouldn't happen again, are people not allowed to say, Hmm, I've seen something happen before I didn't like but there was little I could do about it then, but now I can so I will at least try.

I think they can, but some have an agenda and will always harp on about the past, bit like crapdiff fans really.
Login to get fewer ads

Mark Orders column: How can Mark Hughes offer Garry Monk any advice given his ow on 12:05 - Oct 23 with 653 viewsCatullus

Aren't we all used to managers being complete hypocrites and even liars? Be it Hughes and this incident or Wengers constant claims that "I didn't see it" Or maybe we should look to SAF, Mourinho or other "great" managers as shining beacons of honesty and integrity.........maybe not!
Truth is, they are all at it, they all do it and then complain when others do the same. Monks opinion was honest and valid, there was no foul and it was an awful decision. Maybe Monk is more honest, and we as a club are also more honest many other teams. But it does us no real favours. We continue to get shafted.
Until the powers that be, including referees, actually do something about it, it will continue.
I have always been against introducing technology, but times have changed. A quick replay with the benefit of Sky's different angles would have resulted in a free kick to us, a yellow card for Moses and a different outcome entirely. maybe we would still have lost. But at least it would have been fair.
It's also fair to say that the referees need to find consistency, they need to be strong enough to stand up to bullying players (remember Terry harassing the ref last season and winning) and aggressive crowds.
In turn they need to be backed up by the FA and Premier league bosses. We need to have panels that judge incidents in the game (raised by a citing procedure, like rugby has) and cheating, whatever or whenever it happens, needs to be punished. An escalating scale that will be extremely harsh on those who cannot mend their ways.
But the powers that be aren't interested in justice for all. All they want is the big clubs doing well and for the money to keep rolling in.
Football has become tainted. We either do something about it, or give up and join in. Most of us have already given up though. The big clubs wield too much power, they behave like an old boys network forcing through things that suit them the most, ably assisted by Premier league bosses and an inept FA, though admittedly not as inept as the FAW!!
I find myself not as in love with football as I was 20 years ago. I happily miss games now. Is that because I am more in love with other things, or because football is spoiling? I think it's the latter. Too much money, too much power with the minority and a complicit organisation that happily screws over lower leagues for it's own gain.
Unless some honesty and integrity is reintroduced into football, alongside a realisation that no sportsman is really worth £100,000 a week or more, I will continue to drift away from the game.
Maybe I should have blogged this?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Mark Orders column: How can Mark Hughes offer Garry Monk any advice given his ow on 12:38 - Oct 23 with 616 views1jack

I find myself not as in love with football as I was 20 years ago. I happily miss games now. Is that because I am more in love with other things, or because football is spoiling? I think it's the latter. Too much money, too much power with the minority and a complicit organisation that happily screws over lower leagues for it's own gain.
Unless some honesty and integrity is reintroduced into football, alongside a realisation that no sportsman is really worth £100,000 a week or more, I will continue to drift away from the game.

Cannot disagree with anything there and I feel much the same. I tried to watch man city v spurs on tv last week, I made it to 28 minutes and then went to mow the lawn.
I remember a good few years back, there was a triple header on a sunday, a load of us went to a friends house and spent the day watching and enjoying the football. Now I would just get bored.
The worst thing is though, I don't think I want to renew my season ticket next year, and that's sad.
Mark Orders column: How can Mark Hughes offer Garry Monk any advice given his ow on 13:47 - Oct 23 with 572 viewsDewi1jack

Mark Orders column: How can Mark Hughes offer Garry Monk any advice given his ow on 11:40 - Oct 22 by scottishjack

No, no. That can't be right?

Mark Hughes and Stoke are a shining beacon to us all, showing us all what can be achieved when football is played properly.

This is where Brenda has gone wrong, with us and Liverpool.
HJ and the board are equally as guilty.
Should have followed the blueprint of Stoke RFC, not BR's 180 page dossier on football.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024