Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Monk s mistakes 11:37 - Oct 22 with 1843 viewsperchrockjack

Seems he s made several as highlighted on here .
Question is , what do we do now and

where do we go from here..

and

how long do we /board give him..

Lets not beat about the bush here.. it really is a matter of him being found wanting at this level

INNIT

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Monk s mistakes on 11:42 - Oct 22 with 1305 viewsscottishjack

Monk s mistakes on 11:46 - Oct 22 with 1290 viewsperchrockjack

lol.

but seems like he s getting rather a loot of stick. Would that be fair comment ,with respect..

Monk s mistakes on 11:56 - Oct 22 with 1266 viewsscottishjack

Monk s mistakes on 11:46 - Oct 22 by perchrockjack

lol.

but seems like he s getting rather a loot of stick. Would that be fair comment ,with respect..

He does seem to be getting a bit of criticism, with regards what he said in his post match interview, good! It needed to be said, and now I'm waiting on Man City putting the boot into the ref they had yesterday to further highlight that diving is making a mockery of the game.

Criticism of Monk I have no problem with, that 2nd half against Stoke was very poor. I can cope with losing at the Brittania, no problem there, but we were getting overrun at times and we just didn't seem to know what to do to even try and make things better.

Garry is learning, and he will have to address this "performing for 45 minutes" issue that I think we have at the moment. But no need for anyone to hit the panic button just yet.
Monk s mistakes on 12:06 - Oct 22 with 1223 viewsJackFish

It might be just me, but I really don't think we were anywhere near as bad in the second half as is being made out here.

Stoke basically had two chances after the break, the one they scored with, and the one Crouch headed over after a free kick. It's true that we didn't really create much of anything either, with the exception of Ki's chances and Bony's shot wide from the edge of the area. We certainly weren't being overrun at any point.
Monk s mistakes on 12:10 - Oct 22 with 1213 viewsPegojack

Monk s mistakes on 11:56 - Oct 22 by scottishjack

He does seem to be getting a bit of criticism, with regards what he said in his post match interview, good! It needed to be said, and now I'm waiting on Man City putting the boot into the ref they had yesterday to further highlight that diving is making a mockery of the game.

Criticism of Monk I have no problem with, that 2nd half against Stoke was very poor. I can cope with losing at the Brittania, no problem there, but we were getting overrun at times and we just didn't seem to know what to do to even try and make things better.

Garry is learning, and he will have to address this "performing for 45 minutes" issue that I think we have at the moment. But no need for anyone to hit the panic button just yet.

Yes, I tend to agree with that.

I said it to everyone who cared to listen before the match that our midfield would not be up to the job with Shelvey missing and being replaced by Carroll. In fairness, he wasn't a complete disaster as I'd feared, but he didn't do a great deal either, rather than keep the ball moving quite well in the first half.

In the second half, Carroll ran out of steam and needed to be replaced. Siggy was also flagging, and we had no obvious class replacements on the bench, almost forcing Monkey to go 4-4-1-1, but in reality that was always going shape up on the field as 4-4-2. So it proved. We were overrun in midfield, Fernandez hit too many poor passes to lose possession, Bony couldn;t hold the ball up to save his life, and our defence as a whole also started looking shakey, leading to Rangel giving the ball away with a speculative thiry yard pass from a deep position, then no centre backs marking the 'striker' if you can call Walters that, when the cross came in.

On a personal note, I can't remember the last time I came away from an away game feeling so depressed with a Swans performance. Fortunately, I didn't go to West Ham last season. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. It was made much worse by having to get the supporters shuttle bus back to town, sitting in silence whilst the Stokeys all around me celebrated their victory.
Monk s mistakes on 12:11 - Oct 22 with 1212 viewsscottishjack

Monk s mistakes on 12:06 - Oct 22 by JackFish

It might be just me, but I really don't think we were anywhere near as bad in the second half as is being made out here.

Stoke basically had two chances after the break, the one they scored with, and the one Crouch headed over after a free kick. It's true that we didn't really create much of anything either, with the exception of Ki's chances and Bony's shot wide from the edge of the area. We certainly weren't being overrun at any point.

It might just be me, but I spent most of the 2nd half just waiting for Stoke to take the lead... I even found myself looking over to the other screen to see how the Whites were getting on. Once Stoke scored it was all over.
Monk s mistakes on 13:30 - Oct 22 with 1121 viewsSpratty

Monk s mistakes on 12:06 - Oct 22 by JackFish

Think that might be a rather optimistic viewpoint

As much as we played some nice stuff in the first half, if we certainly weren't being overrun at any point - we certainly were doing a good impression of it.

I also felt a bit subdued after the match, of course it was disappointing to lose to Stoke but not a new experience for us. It was the nature of the defeat, our lack of resilience, it almost feels like we have lost the plot a bit and don't really know what to do about it.

Of course Shelvey was missed and hopefully we can keep our shape better on Sat

I think the Liverpool cup game will bequite important as a positive result will raise us all and give us something to look ahead to.
Monk s mistakes on 13:35 - Oct 22 with 1109 viewsNaughty71

Monk s mistakes on 12:11 - Oct 22 by scottishjack

It might just be me, but I spent most of the 2nd half just waiting for Stoke to take the lead... I even found myself looking over to the other screen to see how the Whites were getting on. Once Stoke scored it was all over.

That's exactly how I felt too. As a matter of fact I predicted the goalscorer when there was a shot of him waiting to come on. I told my father in law at the time that it was only a matter of time before the winning goal was scored by Stoke and as soon as I saw Walters waiting to come on I told him that he would score.

If only I had put some money on it.

Let's hope for a much better performance when Leicester are down this week. I did feel as if there was echoes of the West Ham game in that second half.

"Who scored that Naughty?", "I don't know, I've forgotten my bl**dy glasses again!".

Login to get fewer ads

Monk s mistakes on 13:45 - Oct 22 with 1089 viewsperchrockjack

Excellent responses gents and something in all posts to reflect on.

Im a little rattle right now and it good be this site and the veiled bile Monk is getting. Im grateful for him saving us last season so he cant be that bad.

I think Fernandez has also some some ludicrous criticism .

Main bone of contention for me is us having CARROLL is simply a boy in a mans world ;one for the future but that would be at Spurs so Im not interested in him per se.
We needed an enforcer,a dog in midfield on the lines of Adam but without the thuggery element. Walters too is the type we could do with but for now ,we re stuck with what we have so any energies we have should surely be directed at the team and club putting our own preferences aside. Monk has made his choices and we /our club is in his hands. I would suggest we need to close ranks as fans/tea/club after last Sunday and show the premier league our metaphorical arses and get into clubs and teams .

We ve come a long way and really we should be the last club to be in awe of anyone or anything..
so fook em all

Monk s mistakes on 13:59 - Oct 22 with 1063 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Monk s mistakes on 13:45 - Oct 22 by perchrockjack

Excellent responses gents and something in all posts to reflect on.

Im a little rattle right now and it good be this site and the veiled bile Monk is getting. Im grateful for him saving us last season so he cant be that bad.

I think Fernandez has also some some ludicrous criticism .

Main bone of contention for me is us having CARROLL is simply a boy in a mans world ;one for the future but that would be at Spurs so Im not interested in him per se.
We needed an enforcer,a dog in midfield on the lines of Adam but without the thuggery element. Walters too is the type we could do with but for now ,we re stuck with what we have so any energies we have should surely be directed at the team and club putting our own preferences aside. Monk has made his choices and we /our club is in his hands. I would suggest we need to close ranks as fans/tea/club after last Sunday and show the premier league our metaphorical arses and get into clubs and teams .

We ve come a long way and really we should be the last club to be in awe of anyone or anything..
so fook em all

Carroll again looked like a child in that midfield. Completley out of his depth.

I don't see why we are putting ourself at a disadvantage to try and develop him when if he does prove to be any good he will be back at Tottenham very quickly when we have our own promising midfielders who we should be developing instead, such as Fulton.

If Monk deems Fulton not good enough it again raises the question why we entered the season with such an appallingly weak midfield, arguably our key area of the team considering how we have five on the field at the beginning of each match.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Monk s mistakes on 14:01 - Oct 22 with 1061 viewsperchrockjack

agree with that Dwight. Madness to me but as I say , just hope it works out

Monk s mistakes on 14:06 - Oct 22 with 1050 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Monk s mistakes on 14:01 - Oct 22 by perchrockjack

agree with that Dwight. Madness to me but as I say , just hope it works out

It clearly hasn't and so it won't.

We'll likely end up purchasing / loaning a more experienced midfielder or two in January and Carroll will find his appropriate position in the squad which will be similar to what Josh McEchran had a couple of years ago while here.

People like to accuse me of bragging and such, if I had more time I would find each of the numerous messages from early September where I questioned our transfer business and constant replies were thrown at me questioning my loyalty, my belief in Garry and so on.

Many thought we had an excellent transfer window. The truth is we have sold a frightening amount of first team players and it is a fair argument to say the only one we have replaced and improved on is Vorm. The rest are all up for debate. Even Gylfi.

Monk s mistakes on 14:14 - Oct 22 with 1038 viewsLeonisGod

We missed Carroll's busyness when he went off though didn't we? People only see the 1-on-1s and draw their opinions from that ignoring all the good stuff he does. He'll not win any rough stuff, but he was more effective in that role than Gylfi. If he can bulk up a bit, there'll be a good player there.
Monk s mistakes on 14:16 - Oct 22 with 1022 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Monk s mistakes on 14:14 - Oct 22 by LeonisGod

We missed Carroll's busyness when he went off though didn't we? People only see the 1-on-1s and draw their opinions from that ignoring all the good stuff he does. He'll not win any rough stuff, but he was more effective in that role than Gylfi. If he can bulk up a bit, there'll be a good player there.

His job was Jonjo's role.

He did terribly. He barely broke forward, he barely won the ball back and he was very rarely seen collecting the ball and driving forward. He was just hanging around in the centre of midfield sort of in the way.

It's changed my stance on Jonjo slightly as he clearly contributes significantly more than what Carroll managed.

Monk s mistakes on 14:37 - Oct 22 with 998 viewsperchrockjack

Dwight.
Alternatively,we had factions in the camp that needed to be sorted out. MONK HAS.

Cant see how any of the departed players would have helped us .

Its amusing to see Canas getting plaudits now when he clearly didnt earn many as a player with us..

Gomis I believe will come good when he s given a chance and Jonjo will develop into a very very good player.

Monk s mistakes on 14:47 - Oct 22 with 966 viewsLeonisGod

Monk s mistakes on 14:16 - Oct 22 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

His job was Jonjo's role.

He did terribly. He barely broke forward, he barely won the ball back and he was very rarely seen collecting the ball and driving forward. He was just hanging around in the centre of midfield sort of in the way.

It's changed my stance on Jonjo slightly as he clearly contributes significantly more than what Carroll managed.

an expert on how the team was briefed now as well eh?

You didn't notice Ki getting forward a bit more often then and being more direct? Carroll and Ki worked fine together and we did a lot better with them in there than after the subs. Carroll was far from terrible. Comparison to Shelvey is just a straw man that had nothing to do with the discussion.
Monk s mistakes on 14:49 - Oct 22 with 961 viewsMrSwan

It is important that he improves the team performances i don't think he has done anything else wrong

Poll: Do you rate Shelvey?

Monk s mistakes on 14:57 - Oct 22 with 944 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Monk s mistakes on 14:47 - Oct 22 by LeonisGod

an expert on how the team was briefed now as well eh?

You didn't notice Ki getting forward a bit more often then and being more direct? Carroll and Ki worked fine together and we did a lot better with them in there than after the subs. Carroll was far from terrible. Comparison to Shelvey is just a straw man that had nothing to do with the discussion.

I agree.

I thought Ki was playing Shelvey's normal role and Carroll was playing Ki's normal role.

In fact, I thought that was obvious from the start.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Monk s mistakes on 14:58 - Oct 22 with 935 views_

Posters suggesting we have a need to be looking at players like Charlie Adam and Jon Walters basically have no comprehension - whatsoever - about us as a club, our philosophy and what we have been about the last 8 years or so.

None whatsoever....

Haha!! Only on Planet Swans

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Monk s mistakes on 15:00 - Oct 22 with 931 viewsLeonisGod

Monk s mistakes on 14:57 - Oct 22 by Joe_bradshaw

I agree.

I thought Ki was playing Shelvey's normal role and Carroll was playing Ki's normal role.

In fact, I thought that was obvious from the start.

Yep, very. It wasn't particularly set as they did mix it up a bit, but Ki was certainly given more free licence. He's starting to look for the direct option more regularly now, which is great to see. When he picks up the ball and drives between the lines it open up all sorts of options for us. He's one of our players I enjoy watching the most tbh.
Monk s mistakes on 15:10 - Oct 22 with 912 viewsJackFish

Monk s mistakes on 13:30 - Oct 22 by Spratty

Think that might be a rather optimistic viewpoint

As much as we played some nice stuff in the first half, if we certainly weren't being overrun at any point - we certainly were doing a good impression of it.

I also felt a bit subdued after the match, of course it was disappointing to lose to Stoke but not a new experience for us. It was the nature of the defeat, our lack of resilience, it almost feels like we have lost the plot a bit and don't really know what to do about it.

Of course Shelvey was missed and hopefully we can keep our shape better on Sat

I think the Liverpool cup game will bequite important as a positive result will raise us all and give us something to look ahead to.

Well if we were being overrun I would have expected Fabianski to have to had to make a few saves at some point, but I can't remember any that weren't routine.

We certainly weren't as good in the second half and I don't think the changed helped us, but being overrun, nah.
Monk s mistakes on 16:05 - Oct 22 with 870 viewsSwanseajill

Monk s mistakes on 13:59 - Oct 22 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Carroll again looked like a child in that midfield. Completley out of his depth.

I don't see why we are putting ourself at a disadvantage to try and develop him when if he does prove to be any good he will be back at Tottenham very quickly when we have our own promising midfielders who we should be developing instead, such as Fulton.

If Monk deems Fulton not good enough it again raises the question why we entered the season with such an appallingly weak midfield, arguably our key area of the team considering how we have five on the field at the beginning of each match.

I hope with time that you realise that life and football isn't all black and white, and put into compartments.
Having all you want...instantly, is what many youngsters feel they deserve.

Leon , let go by West Ham was viewed by many fans as a "child" on the vetch field pitch. Some of those fans watching didn't agree, and put their hands in their pockets to help pay towards the wages of this child footballer.
Patience has it's rewards.
Monk s mistakes on 16:46 - Oct 22 with 831 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Monk s mistakes on 16:05 - Oct 22 by Swanseajill

I hope with time that you realise that life and football isn't all black and white, and put into compartments.
Having all you want...instantly, is what many youngsters feel they deserve.

Leon , let go by West Ham was viewed by many fans as a "child" on the vetch field pitch. Some of those fans watching didn't agree, and put their hands in their pockets to help pay towards the wages of this child footballer.
Patience has it's rewards.

It took Leon 10 years or however long it was to be good enough for this league.

We've loaned Carroll who isn't ready for this league and come May he won't even be our player.

There's a difference between being patient with your own players and with those you've loaned for a season. Any reward will be Tottenham's.

Monk s mistakes on 16:50 - Oct 22 with 820 viewsLeonisGod

Monk s mistakes on 16:46 - Oct 22 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

It took Leon 10 years or however long it was to be good enough for this league.

We've loaned Carroll who isn't ready for this league and come May he won't even be our player.

There's a difference between being patient with your own players and with those you've loaned for a season. Any reward will be Tottenham's.

Er Dwight, Leon started out on loan
Monk s mistakes on 16:52 - Oct 22 with 816 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Monk s mistakes on 16:50 - Oct 22 by LeonisGod

Er Dwight, Leon started out on loan

Yes he dropped down from the top league to the bottom league because he wasn't good enough.

Tom Carroll hasn't dropped any leagues. He's still in the same league his parent club deemed him not good enough for currently.

Leon improved our squad back then, Tom does not currently.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024