Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' 21:44 - Oct 24 with 3314 viewsthomasJack

-John Hartson apologised for comments following Stoke's penalty on Sunday
-Victor Moses was said to have 'cheated' in order to win the spot-kick
-Stoke chairman Peter Coates said Hartson's comments were 'disgraceful'
-Coates also said he'd never heard such a one-sided view from a pundit
-Garry Monk has called for the introduction of retrospective action to stop players diving

John Hartson has apologised to Victor Moses after he said the Stoke City forward 'cheated' to win a penalty in their 2-1 win over Swansea.

The Potters were furious with Hartson's choice of language which was broadcast on the BBC's Match of the Day 2 on Sunday evening.

Peter Coates, the Stoke chairman, took particular offence to the comments, branding them 'disgraceful' and insisted Moses's fall following contact from Angel Rangel warranted a spot-kick.

'I've spoken With Victor Moses and apologised for my comments last week using the word cheat,' said Hartson on Friday.

'Victor has accepted my apology and we move on. I will endeavour to choose my words more carefully in the future. My stance on players diving remains the same, but understand it's part of the game.'

Coates accused former Wales international Hartson of bias punditry.

'For John Hartson and Garry Monk to call Moses a cheat is disgraceful,' said Coates. 'He didn't cheat, he's not a cheat and we firmly believe those comments crossed the line.

'I thought Mark Hughes dealt with the matter well after the game but when Hartson made his comments on the Sunday night we couldn't let it go.
'I've never heard such a more one-sided view from a pundit and there was a total lack of objectivity. Hartson is a big fan of Swansea and their manager and it showed
'We've made a complaint and we'll have to see if we get any feedback from them. We've also asked the FA to keep us informed. There comes a time when you have to take a stand.'

Garry Monk meanwhile has called for the introduction of retrospective action to stop players diving after being ordered by the FA to explain his criticisms of Moses and referee Michael Oliver.
Monk has been given until Monday by the FA to explain the scathing comments he made following Swansea's defeat.

'I've spoken to all our players. I'm not saying a Swansea player will never do it but the rules are there, the players know about it and they know how I feel,' said Monk.

'I'd like to see retrospective punishment in these situations - a fine and a ban. It's something we need to consider.

'I don't think the majority of football likes to see it. That's the only way I can see it would make players think twice about doing it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2806834/John-Hartson-watch-wor

[Post edited 24 Oct 2014 21:45]

Poll: Next signing

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 21:50 - Oct 24 with 2742 viewsjackharris

I hate Stoke!

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 21:54 - Oct 24 with 2711 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

I would only say he's apologised because he lost it .

If he had calmly called him a cheat there would be nothing to apologise for .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 21:56 - Oct 24 with 2692 viewsLohengrin

Like my old Grandpa used to say, there's no point in apologising if you don't mean it.

What a pointless charade.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 22:00 - Oct 24 with 2670 viewsjackportis

He should resign and go and join botham on some charity walks.

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 22:17 - Oct 24 with 2606 viewsKingsJack

I do find it funny that Moses has come out of this looking like the victim. Hartson has more than likely been forced to apologise by the BBC and I think there was a lot of media pressure on Monk to apologise for what was deemed "heat of the moment" comments.

Where is the apology from Moses? It's pathetic.
John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 22:42 - Oct 24 with 2534 views1jack

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 22:17 - Oct 24 by KingsJack

I do find it funny that Moses has come out of this looking like the victim. Hartson has more than likely been forced to apologise by the BBC and I think there was a lot of media pressure on Monk to apologise for what was deemed "heat of the moment" comments.

Where is the apology from Moses? It's pathetic.

It is pathetic, oooh let's not upset viccy wiccy, poor little thing, diddums, etc, etc. What a pile of horse manure.
If any stoke vvankers are reading this, Victor Moses is a fcuking CHEAT, and I will not apologise or retract my words so shove that in your pots and stuff them up your arse.
John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 22:52 - Oct 24 with 2503 viewsEdmundo

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 21:56 - Oct 24 by Lohengrin

Like my old Grandpa used to say, there's no point in apologising if you don't mean it.

What a pointless charade.

All to save his job as a commentator/guest on such shows!!

Monk is not at risk of losing his job, his employers are ok with it all.

Most neutral commentators have come out in support of Monk.

What we need tomorrow is:-

Good performance with no dodgy referring decisions

And the crowd well behind the team and Monk

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 23:13 - Oct 24 with 2443 viewswestside

is coates going apologise for his team of thugs
Login to get fewer ads

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 23:22 - Oct 24 with 2416 viewsLeonisGod

" My stance on players diving remains the same, but understand it's part of the game.'

He's bottled it big time. Yes, cheating is part of the game and good for the likes of Garry and Tony Pulis for speaking out against it. The powers that be felt uncomfortable so they sanitise it by calling it simulation. There, that's better. We don't need to use the nasty D or C words any more and they can all convince themselves they've addressed the problem. Moses deliberately cheated the ref = cheat. Same as Chico at times with his am dram. Coates should be embarrassed with his comments.
John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 00:12 - Oct 25 with 2336 viewsLord_Bony

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 23:22 - Oct 24 by LeonisGod

" My stance on players diving remains the same, but understand it's part of the game.'

He's bottled it big time. Yes, cheating is part of the game and good for the likes of Garry and Tony Pulis for speaking out against it. The powers that be felt uncomfortable so they sanitise it by calling it simulation. There, that's better. We don't need to use the nasty D or C words any more and they can all convince themselves they've addressed the problem. Moses deliberately cheated the ref = cheat. Same as Chico at times with his am dram. Coates should be embarrassed with his comments.

Fair play to Hartson..he was seething with rage on that programme and rightly predicted there would be another penalty soon after it was given against us to even things out.

You could tell he could hardly contain himself...well done John.

I fkn hate Stoke with a passion...always have done I don t know why....

We was definitely robbed by that ref who bottled it last week....should have video replay on the day like in rugby...

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 01:06 - Oct 25 with 2268 viewsScoobyWho

Cant wait for the return game at the liberty. Don't give then an inch. Let them feel like Cardiff.
I'm serious. In every aspect.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 07:00 - Oct 25 with 2186 viewsAnotherJohn

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 01:06 - Oct 25 by ScoobyWho

Cant wait for the return game at the liberty. Don't give then an inch. Let them feel like Cardiff.
I'm serious. In every aspect.

It will be interesting to see what kind of reception Stoke get at Southampton this weekend. The press has been happy to play down the cheating, but I sense that most fans outside Stoke know what happened.
John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 07:21 - Oct 25 with 2163 viewsEdmundo

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 07:00 - Oct 25 by AnotherJohn

It will be interesting to see what kind of reception Stoke get at Southampton this weekend. The press has been happy to play down the cheating, but I sense that most fans outside Stoke know what happened.

On the Southampton forums they are saying as much, that they have to be mentally and physically ready for this bunch of bullies and cheating barst*wards

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 08:21 - Oct 25 with 2101 viewsjack247

At the end of the day, he cheated. He is not the first player to do it, he won't be the last. I can't see why pundits and managers aren't allowed to say so though.
John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 08:31 - Oct 25 with 2088 viewsMattG

The worst thing (for me) about all of this is how cheating by diving, despite all the FIFA BS about "simulation" and the all too occasional yellow card still appears to be accepted as "part of the game". It shouldn't be and there's no reason why it should - it's a disease and we need to be rid of it.

I'm not a fan of Tony Pulis generally but he did at least try to make a stance and if GM does the same then I'd be right behind him.
John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 09:06 - Oct 25 with 2026 viewstomdickharry

Hartson bottled it,he meant what he said originally why apologise possibly somebody from the BBC rang him and asked him to be politically correct by apologising. Poor show Hartson the player cheated full stop.
John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 09:19 - Oct 25 with 1998 viewsSpratty

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 08:21 - Oct 25 by jack247

At the end of the day, he cheated. He is not the first player to do it, he won't be the last. I can't see why pundits and managers aren't allowed to say so though.

I suppose because rightly or wrongly - going down in the box with contact is an accepted part of the game and pundits even say they should have gone down.

To change that to going down without contact - which is quite clearly seen as cheating - when your own player has "cheated" by pulling on his shirt in the box then denied that is not a fair thing to do; and seems hypocritical when your own player is open to accusations of cheating and lying for their part in the incident.

To call someone a cheat is quite an immotive thing to do and not considered very professional especially if done with obvious anger and lack of control (as witnessed by the swearing). Much better to describe the action and the reason it was wrong and make sure you have all the facts and represent them accurately.

Going down with contact is viewed as a way to bring the fact that you are being impeded to the attention of the ref.

The thing to do is to address it properly and make it clear it is not acceptable, then pull up every case. Difficult though if there is contact of any significance to prove it did not unbalance the player as they charged forward even if it seems very obvious they went down deliberately.

That still leaves the issue of how to stop players impeding in the box.
John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 09:58 - Oct 25 with 1937 viewsOldjack

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 22:42 - Oct 24 by 1jack

It is pathetic, oooh let's not upset viccy wiccy, poor little thing, diddums, etc, etc. What a pile of horse manure.
If any stoke vvankers are reading this, Victor Moses is a fcuking CHEAT, and I will not apologise or retract my words so shove that in your pots and stuff them up your arse.

this

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 10:06 - Oct 25 with 1925 viewsmax936

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 21:50 - Oct 24 by jackharris

I hate Stoke!

Can I add Mark Hughes and Mark Bowen onto that list.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 10:16 - Oct 25 with 1899 viewsperchrockjack

It might be me but I feel let down by a Swansea man clearly backing down just to save his tv punditry job. It would have given him huge gravitas to state he stands by his words as they were true as he saw them and he is paid to give is views- its part of his job. Nobody was defamed as Moses was caught out. Pity he didnt rip into the sullen liar that is Mark Hughes

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 10:39 - Oct 25 with 1840 viewsCatullus

How many of us have said things we believe, but apologised anyway to save our jobs? Quite a few I'd bet.
I once made a very pointed apology, "I'm sorry for the way I spoke to you" but couldn't apologise for what I actually said, which is possibly what Hartson should have done.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 12:43 - Oct 25 with 1726 viewsQuakerJack

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 22:42 - Oct 24 by 1jack

This.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 16:23 - Oct 25 with 1588 viewssnork44

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 23:22 - Oct 24 by LeonisGod

Victor Moses is a CHEAT end of. As for Coates he is as scummy as his thug football team and as vile as that sweatie Charlie 'feckin' Adam . So Peter, there ain't no apology coming from this quarter!
[Post edited 25 Oct 2014 16:27]

Premier Snork now watching from the USA
Poll: What do you prefer on Planet Swans after a game?

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 16:35 - Oct 25 with 1576 viewsunion_jack

Will people please STOP saying "yes, but Rangel had his shirt, he's a chest". That, with the greatest respect is a load of b0ll0cks. That had nothing at all to do with his legs going and ending up in a heap on the floor. Repeat nothing!

Apologists for Moses, Coates, Hughes or Stoke should not post.

I was incensed at that decision as I was of the decision at home to them last season.

Hope Monk's words have a positive effect.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 16:50 - Oct 25 with 1563 viewsRancid

It's the word 'cheat' thats the issue.As a pundit you can't say things like that.If he'd said Moses went down deliberately looking for a pen then the same point would have been made and he'd not have had to backtrack and now make Moses look the victim.As fans we can say he cheated but John slipped into fan mode and has now had to make an unnecessarily apology which he no doubt made behind gritted teeth.

I still love the bloke though and glad he said what he said but it could have harmed his career as a pundit and a good one at that.It was hardly Ron Atkinson or Andy Gray standard though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024