Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' 21:44 - Oct 24 with 3241 viewsthomasJack

-John Hartson apologised for comments following Stoke's penalty on Sunday
-Victor Moses was said to have 'cheated' in order to win the spot-kick
-Stoke chairman Peter Coates said Hartson's comments were 'disgraceful'
-Coates also said he'd never heard such a one-sided view from a pundit
-Garry Monk has called for the introduction of retrospective action to stop players diving

John Hartson has apologised to Victor Moses after he said the Stoke City forward 'cheated' to win a penalty in their 2-1 win over Swansea.

The Potters were furious with Hartson's choice of language which was broadcast on the BBC's Match of the Day 2 on Sunday evening.

Peter Coates, the Stoke chairman, took particular offence to the comments, branding them 'disgraceful' and insisted Moses's fall following contact from Angel Rangel warranted a spot-kick.

'I've spoken With Victor Moses and apologised for my comments last week using the word cheat,' said Hartson on Friday.

'Victor has accepted my apology and we move on. I will endeavour to choose my words more carefully in the future. My stance on players diving remains the same, but understand it's part of the game.'

Coates accused former Wales international Hartson of bias punditry.

'For John Hartson and Garry Monk to call Moses a cheat is disgraceful,' said Coates. 'He didn't cheat, he's not a cheat and we firmly believe those comments crossed the line.

'I thought Mark Hughes dealt with the matter well after the game but when Hartson made his comments on the Sunday night we couldn't let it go.
'I've never heard such a more one-sided view from a pundit and there was a total lack of objectivity. Hartson is a big fan of Swansea and their manager and it showed
'We've made a complaint and we'll have to see if we get any feedback from them. We've also asked the FA to keep us informed. There comes a time when you have to take a stand.'

Garry Monk meanwhile has called for the introduction of retrospective action to stop players diving after being ordered by the FA to explain his criticisms of Moses and referee Michael Oliver.
Monk has been given until Monday by the FA to explain the scathing comments he made following Swansea's defeat.

'I've spoken to all our players. I'm not saying a Swansea player will never do it but the rules are there, the players know about it and they know how I feel,' said Monk.

'I'd like to see retrospective punishment in these situations - a fine and a ban. It's something we need to consider.

'I don't think the majority of football likes to see it. That's the only way I can see it would make players think twice about doing it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2806834/John-Hartson-watch-wor

[Post edited 24 Oct 2014 21:45]

Poll: Next signing

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 16:54 - Oct 25 with 534 viewsunion_jack

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 16:50 - Oct 25 by Rancid

It's the word 'cheat' thats the issue.As a pundit you can't say things like that.If he'd said Moses went down deliberately looking for a pen then the same point would have been made and he'd not have had to backtrack and now make Moses look the victim.As fans we can say he cheated but John slipped into fan mode and has now had to make an unnecessarily apology which he no doubt made behind gritted teeth.

I still love the bloke though and glad he said what he said but it could have harmed his career as a pundit and a good one at that.It was hardly Ron Atkinson or Andy Gray standard though.

I'd agree if he'd said cheating b@stard but it is a FACT that he CHEATED. therefore, needed to be said and no apology should have been made.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 17:01 - Oct 25 with 531 viewsRancid

John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 16:54 - Oct 25 by union_jack

I'd agree if he'd said cheating b@stard but it is a FACT that he CHEATED. therefore, needed to be said and no apology should have been made.

I'm dying to completely agree with you and almost do but the fact he's apologized says it was wrong to say as a pundit, even though Moses is a cheating bastard.
John Hartson will watch his words in future after apologising for 'disgraceful' on 17:49 - Oct 25 with 518 viewsMrSwerve

Maybe if pundits were allowed to brand cheats as such then players would be more reluctant to dive.

Hate all this tippy toeing around divers...people say it's part of the game, well its not. Players are making it part of the game and it is wrong.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024