Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John Moores 13:58 - Oct 30 with 24820 viewsblaine_scfc

Anyone know anything about this guy? American businessman who wants to invest in us named on SSN.
John Moores on 17:37 - Oct 30 with 1831 viewsbermudajack

Yes... John Moores...

Had an affair which ultimately ended his marriage, although he did go on to marry her (a Gynaecologist) 😎

He Donated $30 million to grass roots sports in San Diego and also donated $30 million to build a cancer treatment centre attached to the local university

During his time in charge of the Padres they won 5 divisional Championships and lost a World Series final (to the Yankees) he fought for better/ fairer pay for smaller teams with the MLB and secured a $ 1.2 billion TV franchise.

He also oversaw the new stadium build which is largely recognised as the best most modern stadium in the MLB. He bought them for $80 million and sold them for $800 😳

Mixed feelings from fans...some say he pocketed too much from the sale that he didn't deserve... Others say he was responsible for the best period of the Padres history...

Ultimately he seems to cover his dodgy dealings in the business world with incredibly generous gestures, which in my experience, is quite common with American businessmen experienced in the art of making lots of money either legally or not quite so... 😱😱😱

Poll: Priority for new manager?

John Moores on 17:41 - Oct 30 with 1815 viewsLeonisGod

John Moores on 16:47 - Oct 30 by blaine_scfc

As much as it would be great to see us with some investment to update our facilities, strengthen our playing staff, too much could go wrong. Keep us how we are.... Does look like some directors want to cash in though which is disappointing, but understandable.

Maybe. But there's no guarantee that we'll necessarily strengthen our playing staff. This is another interesting rant from a disgruntled fan of his baseball team (although not knowing the situation, I'd take this with a pinch of salt).

http://www.blueheronblast.com/2012/04/john-moores.html

"They jettisoned all of their talent, people like Gonzalez, Peavy and Bell. They started operating as an ostensible farm club for the Cubs and Red Sox.

The woeful team once again this year has the lowest payroll in baseball, about $55 million. "
[Post edited 30 Oct 2014 17:41]
John Moores on 17:51 - Oct 30 with 1764 views_

John Moores on 17:04 - Oct 30 by MoscowJack

Isn't it extremely obvious that the Yanks aren't in it for the 30% that they're rumoured to be buying? That makes zero sense and doesn't tie into their previous and existing businesses either.

If strong rumours are true, it's part 1 of a 2 part "lock, stock and barrel" sale and even the part 2 price is set in stone.

That's not "investment" but selling....slowly?

Why so slowly? Why not just sell 100% now? Maybe so that we fall for the "we need external investment to make sure you all have a 35k stadium and free seats" blurb??

Also, what debt will be attached to the deal? With TV money due to increase even more over the next couple of years, do we need debt NOW?

I'm sorry but this stinks of a few people cashing in but not on the right deal. I'm really not against anyone cashing in on their shares, but leave the Trust 100% safe and pick a decent new owner please!

So why do you say 30% now and the rest later as that seems to contradict what Jenkins has said?

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

John Moores on 17:54 - Oct 30 with 1752 viewsperchrockjack

Best for our club would be an investment from Valley Boys who`ve done well in life and are willing to put their business acumen to good use.

Surely we should be courting Matthews. We re a good brand; he doesn't have to like us.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

John Moores on 17:56 - Oct 30 with 1746 viewsClinton

I think this is what a lot of us fear:
Yanks come in and buy the club and load us up with debt. They earn the interest from our Premier league earnings and do very nicely thankyou.
Club services the debt initially, but overpays for hollywood signings and chases 'the next level'. The new money is quickly wasted by successive 'name' managers Fabio Cappello his replacement Sven.
After a bad season we get relegated. We cant service the debt when parachute payments run out. The Yanks seem reluctant to commit any capital because they have lost interest. We go into admin, losing points we go down to League 1. The Trusts 20% is worth 20% of sod all. .
The Trust still has the Dividends from the last couple of years, so buys the club from the administrator and we start all over again.
Fans seen rattling buckets outside the Liberty to pay the wages of 40 year old Leon Britton who returns after being discarded by Sven. Wilf sends his best regards from Madrid as he remembers the good times at Swansea before he was flogged for a big profit.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

John Moores on 18:08 - Oct 30 with 1711 viewsMoscowJack

John Moores on 17:51 - Oct 30 by _

So why do you say 30% now and the rest later as that seems to contradict what Jenkins has said?

It does. But I'm not wrong. Why would HJ say, at the Port Talbot Trust event, that we're certainly not looking at selling?

From what I've read and the rumours going around, the deal is 30% now and the rest based on today's valuation at some given (specific) point in the future. OK, we could get relegated, but then that why it's an OPTION to buy the 2nd part. The most likely scenario is that we stay up for a couple of years, expand the stadium, see a another huge increase in TV money, take up the option and spin us on to the next "owners".

Selling 30% now with an option to buy the rest isn't investment - that's SELLING THE CLUB. I don't know why it's being dressed this way, unless it's to deceive us all, which wouldn't be a good idea.

As I keep repeating, we're on Lewis away from a Petty or one Risdale away from a Tan.

The good news is that we've got the Trust to help but the Trust will be unable to do anything now, or in the future, if we're sold and they retain just 21%. The Trust needs the fans behind them. To do that I think they should communicate better than they have in the past (although what was there to say in the past, compared to this??) and make sure that they can do EVERYTHING to make sure that we are only sold IF it benefits SCFC, not just certain shareholders.

The "funny" thing is that I would have been jumping hoops if someone had told me years ago that we were being sold to a billionaire. Thankfully we've seen what some billionaires do to clubs - Pompey, Leeds, Villa, Blackburn, QPR and Card**f are just a few who've suffered as toys of rich men. Sometimes it's better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

John Moores on 18:14 - Oct 30 with 1688 viewsItchySphincter

John Moores on 14:52 - Oct 30 by londonlisa2001

The Western Mail are also naming Charles Noell (although they have got his name wrong and have spelled it Charles Nowell) who's another billionaire based in Baltimore.

The pair of them are race horse owners together and also owned the Padres together.

Hmm.

Btw - I have to admit finding it quite funny that as soon as the word 'billionaire' is mentioned, people start to try and make out these people to be virtual saints. As I predicted last week, our 'fans' are going to be creaming themselves at the amount of money these guys have - all the 'fan based' club stuff will soon disappear !

Why do you think that?

I wouldn't discount anything but I admit I find this worrying. As someone who supports the current board, has no problem with dividends, etc I hope they don't feel that they've reached the end of the road.

Maybe I'm still small time but as long as the club strives to compete well in which ever league we are in and endevours to continue playing attractive football I'l be happy.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

John Moores on 18:19 - Oct 30 with 1665 viewsreddythered

John Moores on 18:08 - Oct 30 by MoscowJack

It does. But I'm not wrong. Why would HJ say, at the Port Talbot Trust event, that we're certainly not looking at selling?

From what I've read and the rumours going around, the deal is 30% now and the rest based on today's valuation at some given (specific) point in the future. OK, we could get relegated, but then that why it's an OPTION to buy the 2nd part. The most likely scenario is that we stay up for a couple of years, expand the stadium, see a another huge increase in TV money, take up the option and spin us on to the next "owners".

Selling 30% now with an option to buy the rest isn't investment - that's SELLING THE CLUB. I don't know why it's being dressed this way, unless it's to deceive us all, which wouldn't be a good idea.

As I keep repeating, we're on Lewis away from a Petty or one Risdale away from a Tan.

The good news is that we've got the Trust to help but the Trust will be unable to do anything now, or in the future, if we're sold and they retain just 21%. The Trust needs the fans behind them. To do that I think they should communicate better than they have in the past (although what was there to say in the past, compared to this??) and make sure that they can do EVERYTHING to make sure that we are only sold IF it benefits SCFC, not just certain shareholders.

The "funny" thing is that I would have been jumping hoops if someone had told me years ago that we were being sold to a billionaire. Thankfully we've seen what some billionaires do to clubs - Pompey, Leeds, Villa, Blackburn, QPR and Card**f are just a few who've suffered as toys of rich men. Sometimes it's better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

Out of interest, why would Moores be interested in minority control?

What would be in it for him persuing that route?

Poll: 94th minute; Medel does Charlie Adam, causing a career ending injury. Do you..

Login to get fewer ads

John Moores on 18:26 - Oct 30 with 1642 viewsMoscowJack

Moores would absolutely not be interested in just 30%. He would want 100%, or 79% if they couldn't force the Trust to sell.

Why isn't he going full hog now?

MAYBE because he wants us to get planning permission for the stadium first?

Maybe because he wants the stadium expanded and THEN see what division we're in?

Maybe because it would be an easier PR exercise to buy 30% now (did Huw Jenkins say "a small amount"?) ?

Maybe because they would prefer to wait to see what the new PL TV deal is?

I really don't know the answer, but that's the proposal, according to rumours and what I've read.

Personally, if that's the deal and the Trust think it's good, then it's 30% now at today's valuation and 70% at the valuation at the time.

We haven't even talked about debt yet ;)

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

John Moores on 18:35 - Oct 30 with 1605 viewslondonlisa2001

John Moores on 18:14 - Oct 30 by ItchySphincter

Why do you think that?

I wouldn't discount anything but I admit I find this worrying. As someone who supports the current board, has no problem with dividends, etc I hope they don't feel that they've reached the end of the road.

Maybe I'm still small time but as long as the club strives to compete well in which ever league we are in and endevours to continue playing attractive football I'l be happy.

Because within The first few posts he was being described as a supporter of the poor etc and we're already seeing comments that the trust are blocking progress.
I agree with you that I'd prefer it not to change but I'm afraid that ship has sailed.

The only thing I would say is that I wouldn't worry too much about how he made money or Chapter 11s etc. Anyone worth that sort of money will have things that look bad. I'd be more inclined to think his actions as an owner of a sports team are relevant and I don't know much about that.
John Moores on 18:40 - Oct 30 with 1587 viewsblaine_scfc

John Moores on 18:35 - Oct 30 by londonlisa2001

Because within The first few posts he was being described as a supporter of the poor etc and we're already seeing comments that the trust are blocking progress.
I agree with you that I'd prefer it not to change but I'm afraid that ship has sailed.

The only thing I would say is that I wouldn't worry too much about how he made money or Chapter 11s etc. Anyone worth that sort of money will have things that look bad. I'd be more inclined to think his actions as an owner of a sports team are relevant and I don't know much about that.

Agree with that completely Lisa. Businessmen don't get rich being nice in their respective industries, it's dog eat dog world, and they'll happily fleece anyone/anything to get where they want.

We are fine as we are, but unfortunately certain directors want to cash in, looks as if we are relying in on the trust for the time being.
John Moores on 18:43 - Oct 30 with 1572 viewsItchySphincter

I think, hopefully, that we have a decent set of fans that are comfortable with what we are. Yes we can always improve but we have enough about us to resist the allure of the dollar signs. Judgement is reserved but if there is a hint of a circus ala Cardiff City or Pompey the conversation should be over.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

John Moores on 18:44 - Oct 30 with 1560 viewsScoobyWho

Its good that he see's us as a sound investment, gypo's always worth a punt.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

John Moores on 18:46 - Oct 30 with 1551 viewsbermudajack

Written below is a San Diego Padres opinion of Moores...

"I don't understand what makes guys like Moores tick. He fell out of love with his wife, he fell out of love with his team, he fell out of love with the city, who knows? Rich people are phlegmatic. What I do know is that San Diego fans are holding the bag, their love for their miserable team once again sorely tested and with an absentee owner who appears to no longer give a shit, nothing looks like it will change in the near future. It is a shame that the man who got everything he asked for could treat his play toy with such neglect and our region with such contempt"

This has to be the most worrying quote regarding Moores IMO... Reminds me of Petty 😡

A fans view of him as an owner of a sports franchise... 😳😳😳

Poll: Priority for new manager?

John Moores on 18:53 - Oct 30 with 1521 viewslondonlisa2001

John Moores on 18:46 - Oct 30 by bermudajack

"I don't understand what makes guys like Moores tick. He fell out of love with his wife, he fell out of love with his team, he fell out of love with the city, who knows? Rich people are phlegmatic. What I do know is that San Diego fans are holding the bag, their love for their miserable team once again sorely tested and with an absentee owner who appears to no longer give a shit, nothing looks like it will change in the near future. It is a shame that the man who got everything he asked for could treat his play toy with such neglect and our region with such contempt"

This has to be the most worrying quote regarding Moores IMO... Reminds me of Petty 😡

I find that an awful lot more damning in our position than the Chapter 11.
John Moores on 18:53 - Oct 30 with 1516 viewsdgt73

John Moores on 18:19 - Oct 30 by reddythered

Out of interest, why would Moores be interested in minority control?

What would be in it for him persuing that route?

Who knows, he may just want some fun and be prepared to spend some cash to get that fun.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

John Moores on 18:55 - Oct 30 with 1509 viewslonglostjack

Isn't it extremely obvious that the Yanks aren't in it for the 30% that they're rumoured to be buying? That makes zero sense and doesn't tie into their previous and existing businesses either.

If strong rumours are true, it's part 1 of a 2 part "lock, stock and barrel" sale and even the part 2 price is set in stone.

Why so slowly? Why not just sell 100% now? Maybe so that we fall for the "we need external investment to make sure you all have a 35k stadium and free seats" blurb??

Also, what debt will be attached to the deal? With TV money due to increase even more over the next couple of years, do we need debt NOW?

I'm sorry but this stinks of a few people cashing in but not on the right deal. I'm really not against anyone cashing in on their shares, but leave the Trust 100% safe and pick a decent new owner please!

Well said ! If the selling directors are serious about the long term future of the club they would make that sale conditional on safeguards being included for the Trust.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

John Moores on 19:02 - Oct 30 with 1470 viewsreddythered

John Moores on 18:46 - Oct 30 by bermudajack

Bermuda,

That scenario relies upon him getting overall control. I've no doubt that's the aim because what else could he get holding 30%?

What would be the issue for me would be that should directors sell en masse, then everything good you guys have done would have been a lie. Run the club by the fans for the fans? Claim to run the club by the fans for the fans until such a time people could profiteer, oh and undermine your Trust in a single move. THAT would be the worst scenario.

If he turns out to be bad for your club, with overall control, how do you then get rid of him? Trust wouldn't have the money to do so. You'd have to then rely upon either someone benevolent buying you out or waiting for everything to fail again until fans can then pick up the pieces.

The former would be hope based, the latter hoping for disaster.

I genuinely hope that enough directors have the courage of their convictions to reject any sale.

Poll: 94th minute; Medel does Charlie Adam, causing a career ending injury. Do you..

John Moores on 19:05 - Oct 30 with 1456 views3swan

Thompson, Silvershield, and Petty — they were all small businessmen hoping to make money out of the Swans
We are now in the big time and any business man interested now will be way out of their league and have a lot more streetwise business knowhow
We need to be extra careful
John Moores on 19:12 - Oct 30 with 1418 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

30% !

A slot on the board ,a bit of fun for him to be involved in soccer ,nice long weekends down the gower .

There's way to much OTT speculation going on here .

We will only do what's in the best intrest for the supporters & club say's Hubert .

I'll take his word on it.

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

John Moores on 19:15 - Oct 30 with 1408 viewsDr_Winston

John Moores on 19:12 - Oct 30 by oh_tommy_tommy

30% !

A slot on the board ,a bit of fun for him to be involved in soccer ,nice long weekends down the gower .

We will only do what's in the best intrest for the supporters & club say's Hubert .

"We're not looking to sell" says Hubert.

"We're looking for commercial partners" says Hubert.

"We're only looking to sell a small stake" says Hubert.

What will Hubert say next?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

John Moores on 19:19 - Oct 30 with 1393 viewsDewi1jack

John Moores on 14:55 - Oct 30 by Swanzay

Sad but true, remember everyone back in the day thinking Silversheild were going to be our saviors with a 5 year plan and money to spend........

There's some truly unimpressive reading about this bloke and his associates.
Thank you to everyone who's been having a root around.
Think those of us around during the overcast/ dark/ tropical sh1testorm days, are worried that the same could be happening again, in a reverse sort of way.
PL tv money seems to be ever increasing, makes anyone who looks like they can stay in the division a quite tasty proposition. Parachute payments don't help- sell as many good players as poss, employ L2 players on next to no wages, pocket the diff.
Think some fans will be rubbing their hands with glee, at the thoughts of Billionaires taking over and investing.
Just like QPR and our inbred cousin fans were. All happy when it happened, in fact were going out of their way to tell us.
Different story now isn't it.
No such thing as free investment, so please be careful what you wish for. It may come true and fuk the club in future years.
On the other hand, everything may work out well- eg Man. City/ Chelsea etc.
Have to believe the Trust and our board will do what's right.
If it's wrong for the club, I believe the Trust will tell it's members, who in turn can tell others, as most Trust members aren't going to sign NDA's.
May make some unhappy we're doing business out in the public arena.
Better a bit of embarrassment now than a total clusterfuk (again) in a few years time.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

John Moores on 19:19 - Oct 30 with 1391 views3swan

John Moores on 19:12 - Oct 30 by oh_tommy_tommy

30% !

Today or sometime in the future board members will want to sell, that's life.

The big problem is who locally will have the money to buy the shares to keep it in local hands?

Limited knowledge but no name comes to mind. You then have to question what any 'outsider' would want from involvement.
John Moores on 19:20 - Oct 30 with 1375 viewsDavillin

I believe Huw Jenkins was quoted at 3%, not 30%, which makes it the more suspicious and unappealing.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

John Moores on 19:22 - Oct 30 with 1365 viewsDavillin

John Moores on 17:35 - Oct 30 by Sweyns_Eye

So if he invests, what's in it for him exactly???

One invests first for a return [money], and second for power [and more money is the goal of that].

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024