Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore 17:26 - Oct 30 with 7862 viewsthomasJack

GARRY Monk reckons Swansea City must look to outside investors if they are to continue to thrive at the top end of the Premier League.

It emerged today that US billionaire John Moores is one of the American businessman who is in talks with Swansea over the possibility of putting money into the club.

Moores' friend, Charles Nowell, has also been named as a potential investor as Swansea seek extra cash to help them compete at the top level.

Swansea's board of directors have so far refused to comment on the names, although they have admitted they are on the lookout for new sources of revenue as they bid to increase their financial muscle.

Chairman Huw Jenkins had originally claimed Swansea were only looking at sponsorhsip and commercial deals, but it is now clear they could be prepared to sell some shares in the club.

And Monk admits Swansea do need extra money if they are to keep pace with the top-flight's heavyweight clubs.

"I just think it's important that we look to push forward as a club," said the Swansea manager.

"One way of doing that is attracting investment and we need to be proactive.

"You need investment to make that step to being an established top-ten club.

"The big clubs will keep getting money in, and it's important for a club like ourselves to make sure we get enough money in to stay on their heels."

Swansea fans have taken pride in the fact that their club has been run primarily by local people since Tony Petty was ousted in 2002.

There are bound to be concerns over what direction Swansea may go in should their ownership change in any way, but Monk has faith in Jenkins and Co.

"For the last 10 or 12 years, the chairman and the board have always made decisions in the best interests of the club," he added.

"I am sure they will keep doing the same. It's not about someone coming in to take over the running of the club, so we just have to trust Huw and the board to make the right decisions.

"They have been very shrewd over the years and that will not change."

Read more: http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Garry-Monk-welcomes-prospect-outside-inv
Follow us: @SWEveningPost on Twitter | SWEveningPost on Facebook

Poll: Next signing

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 09:59 - Nov 1 with 1031 viewsShaky

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 09:56 - Nov 1 by longlostjack

If the investor is looking to buy shares of the club and his intentions are honorouble what better way to prove that than transferring 4% of the shares to the Trust?

The 75% number is largely irrelevant.

What matters is what the company statutes say you can do at various voting thresholds.

See what I mean?

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:04 - Nov 1 with 1020 viewslonglostjack

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 09:59 - Nov 1 by Shaky

The 75% number is largely irrelevant.

What matters is what the company statutes say you can do at various voting thresholds.

See what I mean?

Yes the shareholders agreement.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:05 - Nov 1 with 1017 viewslonglostjack

For example

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:09 - Nov 1 with 1011 viewsShaky

By statutes I mean the memorandum and articles of association under UK law, but it is such a mouthful ;-)
[Post edited 1 Nov 2014 10:09]

Misology -- It's a bitch

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:14 - Nov 1 with 1001 viewsMoscowJack

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 09:49 - Nov 1 by Shaky

So unless the Trust is given 4% of the club for free, you want a no holds barred fist fight over the potential investment proposal, of which you have no details whatsoever?

Hokaaaaaay!

Shaky, haven't you checked for "potential investment proposal" on Google yet? It's all there. ;)

Jokes aside, I do know a bit about the proposal so your presumption is very, very wrong.

And yes...if the Trust is not 100% protected (in a sell off of shares) then I can not understand ANYONE wanting a deal to be done....and that includes, me, you, ALL the fans, the Trust and those made famous on Jack to a King.

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:17 - Nov 1 with 993 viewsShaky

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:14 - Nov 1 by MoscowJack

Shaky, haven't you checked for "potential investment proposal" on Google yet? It's all there. ;)

Jokes aside, I do know a bit about the proposal so your presumption is very, very wrong.

And yes...if the Trust is not 100% protected (in a sell off of shares) then I can not understand ANYONE wanting a deal to be done....and that includes, me, you, ALL the fans, the Trust and those made famous on Jack to a King.

Maybe you will surprise me in this case, but based on the evidence I have so far you know jack-shit.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:24 - Nov 1 with 981 viewsMoscowJack

That would seemingly make us equals then, but in this case you're wrong. Again.

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:29 - Nov 1 with 968 viewsShaky

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:24 - Nov 1 by MoscowJack

That would seemingly make us equals then, but in this case you're wrong. Again.

So ignoring your primary school level gainsaying for a moment, why not deliver on your claim to be privy to details of this proposed investment?

Let's have it.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Login to get fewer ads

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:32 - Nov 1 with 963 viewsMoscowJack

I don't need to, for you, Shaky. If you'd followed other threads, you would understand. I don't want to get into a childish argument with you, so you either believe me, or don't. I've already written enough about this specific topic on other threads to prove I'm not just googling my information.

Let's just leave it at that please.

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:33 - Nov 1 with 956 viewsShaky

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:32 - Nov 1 by MoscowJack

I don't need to, for you, Shaky. If you'd followed other threads, you would understand. I don't want to get into a childish argument with you, so you either believe me, or don't. I've already written enough about this specific topic on other threads to prove I'm not just googling my information.

Let's just leave it at that please.

So all sizzle and no steak as the Americans say.

Hardly news to me.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:42 - Nov 1 with 938 viewsMoscowJack

Whatever, Shaky. I really don't have to prove anything to you, especially as it's usually YOU who pretends to be the all-knowing genius of this forum.

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 11:05 - Nov 1 with 910 viewsAngelRangelQS

100% agree that Monk should be staying out of this
Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 11:58 - Nov 1 with 874 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 18:18 - Oct 30 by Dr_Winston

Why do we need more investment?

We've found millions to pay for two separate training facilities whilst still investing in the squad. Now the facilities are paid for and with an extra £20m in tv revenue available expanding the stadium should be affordable.

Commercial income is poor, but it's likely to be with one of the other directors running the commercial dept on a part time basis instead of hiring a proper professional to do the job.

We don't need investment. That's a bullshit story being spun to make the eventual sale of the club palatable to supporters. I take great joy from the fact that the response to this from many people has been to immediately treat it with suspicion and start digging.

Now one sees the logic in selecting a fans favourite as manager - he's sugarcoating the inevitable nasty pill

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:01 - Nov 1 with 873 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 18:21 - Oct 30 by _

Don't even try and reason with Dick, he's not got a facking clue what day it is, never mind construct a reasonable post in this matter.

It's time for the real fans to collectively stick together or we'll be back in the doldrums again. He wouldn't know about those days as the club wasn't on his agenda back then.

Yeah but he would have us dissenters banned if he had his way. He is a very dangerous man in that context because after the Swans cease to exist or are back bouncing around the bottom leagues he won't bother watching them. He hardly ever does now!
Funny , it seems that he and his acolytes are the REAL agenda boys

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:06 - Nov 1 with 867 views_

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:01 - Nov 1 by Brynmill_Jack

Yeah but he would have us dissenters banned if he had his way. He is a very dangerous man in that context because after the Swans cease to exist or are back bouncing around the bottom leagues he won't bother watching them. He hardly ever does now!
Funny , it seems that he and his acolytes are the REAL agenda boys

I know for a fact he was nowhere near SCFC for a very, very long time. 20/30 years plus... So I'm going to do my best and ignore his crazy obsession with us.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:24 - Nov 1 with 840 viewsicecoldjack

Well i have to say that reading the comments from posters who know a bit about this kind of thing its not looking too good a situation!

I don't like the fact Trundle and Monk are getting involved with this either, i think they should keep out of it.

IMO this is a long term bad idea, nobody wants to buy into us because of a love of football, its a cold buisness move that has money at the heart of it.

Its quite sad to see us go down this road, we have taken massive pride in doing things a bit differently, people now want to cash out and its all a bit dissapointing for me.

Im still trying to work out the sudden shift in policy at the club, all of a sudden £70m a season isnt enough for the club to survive, i personally think thats a load of b$llocks myself and i think a bit of honesty from top to bottom wouldn't go amiss in this current situation.

Using the likes of Monk and Trundle to tell us why its a good thing is a nonsense, lets have the cards on the table for once, its our club too .
Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:28 - Nov 1 with 835 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:24 - Nov 1 by icecoldjack

Well i have to say that reading the comments from posters who know a bit about this kind of thing its not looking too good a situation!

I don't like the fact Trundle and Monk are getting involved with this either, i think they should keep out of it.

IMO this is a long term bad idea, nobody wants to buy into us because of a love of football, its a cold buisness move that has money at the heart of it.

Its quite sad to see us go down this road, we have taken massive pride in doing things a bit differently, people now want to cash out and its all a bit dissapointing for me.

Im still trying to work out the sudden shift in policy at the club, all of a sudden £70m a season isnt enough for the club to survive, i personally think thats a load of b$llocks myself and i think a bit of honesty from top to bottom wouldn't go amiss in this current situation.

Using the likes of Monk and Trundle to tell us why its a good thing is a nonsense, lets have the cards on the table for once, its our club too .

Trundle and Monk, both massive figures at this club and will always be idolized by it's supporters must realise that some of us have been at the club many more years than them and will continue to be long after they have gone. That is an inevitable fact. So don't sully your reputations and standings with those same fans who have been through the really bad times, some more than once stretching back over decades

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:36 - Nov 1 with 822 viewsmonmouth

Still at least if we are so cash strapped we won't be paying any dividends eh....

I think the propaganda machine might be cranking along here and there on this thread....we have to get external 'investment' to even survive at all will be the next claim I'd guess.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:43 - Nov 1 with 812 viewsAngelRangelQS

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:28 - Nov 1 by Brynmill_Jack

Trundle and Monk, both massive figures at this club and will always be idolized by it's supporters must realise that some of us have been at the club many more years than them and will continue to be long after they have gone. That is an inevitable fact. So don't sully your reputations and standings with those same fans who have been through the really bad times, some more than once stretching back over decades

Exactly. They shouldn't be touching it. Club legends they may be but imo it doesn't really concern them.

I was watching the Swans before either of them began their careers, when Trundle f*cked off to Bristol City, when he came back cap in hand and will still be watching them when they leave the club.

As much as I love the pair of them, they should not be seeking to influence people one way or another and the club should not be encouraging it either
Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:44 - Nov 1 with 810 views_

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 08:01 - Nov 1 by cl81227

Trouble is boys as I see it we are currently at the crossroads. My understanding now is that the wage bill for the whole club and support staff is pretty much all our TV revenue money. Given that we can generate very little income from other sources we are stuck in a rut. Despite what people say the stadium development will not happen whilst we do not own the stadium, and that is a real issue. I have noticed on my recent visits to Fairwood that the new extension to the main block has not moved on since the summer, probably reflecting the fact that we have run out of money. I would imagine the first thing the new owners would do is buy the stadium off the council. The board in its current format cannot take the swans any further.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2014 8:04]

And you are who exactly? And more importantly what do you have to gain?

Coming on here with threats of the stadium won't get expanded... Who do you think you are trying to kid, eh?

And I don't mean about whether the stadium gets expanded or not, that's clearly being used as leverage in all this, I mean what's in it for you??

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:47 - Nov 1 with 804 viewsDarran

Seriously though there seems to be a lot of mystic megs on here when nobody really knows what the future holds.
After all this might be the best thing to ever happen no?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:48 - Nov 1 with 803 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:36 - Nov 1 by monmouth

Still at least if we are so cash strapped we won't be paying any dividends eh....

I think the propaganda machine might be cranking along here and there on this thread....we have to get external 'investment' to even survive at all will be the next claim I'd guess.

Which we all know is boll*cks if we maintain our policy of picking up rough diamonds, polishing them and selling them on for a big profit, keep raking in the sky money , expand slowly but surely getting more match day revenue and get the youth pipeline fully flowing too.

Maximize commercial revenue with good campaigns around the world like the overseas tours and the recent GWFX campaign in Hong Kong. The clubs change of badge was a brilliant idea, it is simple and synonymous with us and we haven't made the most of it! We don't realise in quite how many ways we are unique!!!

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:50 - Nov 1 with 802 viewsAngelRangelQS

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:47 - Nov 1 by Darran

Seriously though there seems to be a lot of mystic megs on here when nobody really knows what the future holds.
After all this might be the best thing to ever happen no?

It depends on what your preference is. As good as it is for Chelsea and City, who else has benefited from this sort of thing? Also what will happen to Chelsea and City if/when their owners leave?

Imo the odds are stacked against this working out
Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:52 - Nov 1 with 799 viewsDarran

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:50 - Nov 1 by AngelRangelQS

It depends on what your preference is. As good as it is for Chelsea and City, who else has benefited from this sort of thing? Also what will happen to Chelsea and City if/when their owners leave?

Imo the odds are stacked against this working out

No idea but we still don't know if it'll work and to dismiss it completely untill we as fans know exactly what it is is madness.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:57 - Nov 1 with 778 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:52 - Nov 1 by Darran

No idea but we still don't know if it'll work and to dismiss it completely untill we as fans know exactly what it is is madness.

I think after reading the threads and seeing those named and digging up the dirt I think we all have a pretty good idea, if not 100% of the information. Jeez, you want to go back to your posts aimed at Cardiff fans over their "investment" boasts on here and :-

A. Have a good read.
B. Look at the state Cardiff are in, debt/colour change/fans helpless

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024