Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
City centre investment 22:12 - Oct 30 with 3467 viewsyogibear_412

more investment into cardiff again....any coming our way? Scandalous how Swansea City centre is allowed to rot when all this is happening down the road.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-29830919
City centre investment on 21:37 - Oct 31 with 1109 viewsTNT

City centre investment on 23:17 - Oct 30 by MrSwan

The only reason they are the capital is because the people of BBC England Couldn't be arsed driving further into wales and coming to Swansea and decided to set up there thus becoming capital.

Yeah, the driver said to the passenger, 'I need a dump ... this place will do.' They call it serendipity in cardiff.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

City centre investment on 22:23 - Oct 31 with 1063 viewsRevJames

The Council needs to ask itself why did it let all the decent shops go to Fforestfach. Is it any wonder people don't go into the City Centre anymore?

You can park for free and all the shops are practically next to each other. The City Centre doesn't stand a chance

I've recently been to Cambridge - a small 'City' but loads of variety in terms of shops, quality shopping - John Lewis etc so plenty to attract visitors. Suggest Councillors go and have a look at The Grand Arcade and take some notes.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2014 22:27]
City centre investment on 22:40 - Oct 31 with 1028 viewsTNT

City centre investment on 22:23 - Oct 31 by RevJames

The Council needs to ask itself why did it let all the decent shops go to Fforestfach. Is it any wonder people don't go into the City Centre anymore?

You can park for free and all the shops are practically next to each other. The City Centre doesn't stand a chance

I've recently been to Cambridge - a small 'City' but loads of variety in terms of shops, quality shopping - John Lewis etc so plenty to attract visitors. Suggest Councillors go and have a look at The Grand Arcade and take some notes.

Agree Rev.

I grew up, making the short journey to Swansea City Centre every week. Watching The Swans at The Vetch meant I, and many others, spent our money there before and after games. I live further away nowadays, and since we moved to The Liberty I don't go in to the City Centre at all. So, for all our success as a football club, whilst we attract visitors, many home supporters have no reason to enter the city centre these days.

City centre investment on 22:47 - Oct 31 with 1007 viewsfuzz

Evening all, just joined the world of Planet Swans,so this is my first post.
Ive lived and worked in Swansea all my life, and its sad to see, all the work being done, but we seem to be going backwards, lets hope WAG injects more investment into Swansea.....very very soon before its too late.
City centre investment on 23:00 - Oct 31 with 990 viewsairedale

Does anyone Welsh actually own anything in Cardiff?
City centre investment on 23:17 - Oct 31 with 969 viewsDr_Winston

Only Swansea Council could encourage out of town strip malls, make it hugely difficult to take your car into town to do some shopping and then wonder why the city centre is dying on its arse.

You voted for these people.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2014 23:18]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

City centre investment on 23:28 - Oct 31 with 961 viewsTNT

City centre investment on 23:17 - Oct 31 by Dr_Winston

Only Swansea Council could encourage out of town strip malls, make it hugely difficult to take your car into town to do some shopping and then wonder why the city centre is dying on its arse.

Out of town malls?

This is replicated all over the country.

City centre investment on 08:28 - Nov 1 with 886 viewswaynekerr55

City centre investment on 23:17 - Oct 31 by Dr_Winston

but we had european funding so we had to do it guv!!!

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Login to get fewer ads

City centre investment on 08:36 - Nov 1 with 878 viewsquiff

Sorry but comparing Cambridge to Swansea is just daft, total opposites in terms of history and prosperity.

Poll: Is now the time for a Coordinated Fan protest?

City centre investment on 09:22 - Nov 1 with 858 viewsStarsky

City centre investment on 09:03 - Oct 31 by perchrockjack

Im with Dr win on this.
I ve commented in the past how profoundly depressing Swansea is and all the beauty of GOWER beaches cannot make up for it.
There is, as a Leicester fan pointed out, nothing to do /see in the city .

The city has been declining for decades and is clearly under all the radars .

For a former powerhouse of an industrial centre, its disgusting and shameful

"I ve commented in the past how profoundly depressing Swansea is and all the beauty of GOWER beaches cannot make up for it. "

You can say that as many timeS as you like and i vehemently disagree with that.

The City centre maybe depressing but there is much more to the city than the Kingsway.

You don't live here anymore so you haven't got the vibe for our fine city.

I've been to Leicester many times and that is so much worse... With no Gower either.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2014 9:26]

It's just the internet, init.

City centre investment on 09:50 - Nov 1 with 829 viewsDr_Winston

City centre investment on 09:22 - Nov 1 by Starsky

"I ve commented in the past how profoundly depressing Swansea is and all the beauty of GOWER beaches cannot make up for it. "

You can say that as many timeS as you like and i vehemently disagree with that.

The City centre maybe depressing but there is much more to the city than the Kingsway.

You don't live here anymore so you haven't got the vibe for our fine city.

I've been to Leicester many times and that is so much worse... With no Gower either.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2014 9:26]

Slagging off a city he no longer lives in is one of his favourite things to do.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

City centre investment on 09:54 - Nov 1 with 821 viewsperchrockjack

Wrong.

My mum says she hasn't been to Swansea in years for the same reasons Iv e stated. YOU forget what a fie place it really was, vibrant, pleasant and feck me decent city centre shops. Sorry , but if its pisseing down as it often is, having beautiful beaches is no compensation, people wont go to get soaked to the skin.
These day ,people want a thriving ,vibrant centre ,not pretty beaches. They can go abroad and lie on them in the sun, if they want that.

Large out of town units can kill but not all,Liverpool ,Manchester and Leeds do just fine, whereas Birkenhead and Ellesmere Port and examples where it has killed towns.

My problem is I knew Swansea was it was a confident metropolis where people went into to work eat and play. It kills me to see it as it is-if you don't mind me saying that. Im back soon for me ol fellas 90th birthday and he s seen the decline too.

It hurts starsks, it hurts ;it hurts like hell..
IM A PROUD MAN AND PROUD OF MY ROOTS;iF I wasn't then I really wouldn't be arsed would I.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

City centre investment on 11:14 - Nov 1 with 802 viewsjack_lord

My wife took the daughter shopping in Cardiff for the day yesterday properly for the first time. She came back from the outing and said to me in jest "can we move to Cardiff". I repeated the words of the Pontiff when Cardiff went to Rome.

The sad thing is for many, a vibrant shopping centre is important and ours is blinking poor in comparison. I remember being massively proud of the Quadrant when it opened. I thought as a kid that the centre was great but it hasn't moved on. Cardiff centre was rubbish back then and changes began when they opened St Davids and then the Capitol. Then devolution absolutely accelerated the massive changes up the road. Cardiff also has out of town Malls but they do not affect the centre. They have them in Culverhouse, the bay, Cardiff city stadium and Ty Glas as well as what Newport Road is.

I was talking to a couple over Cardiff way who regularly shopped in Swansea years ago saying it was great back then but haven't been for years. The changes have worsened as our infrastructure has not changed/improved in all that time. The City council haven't help but I blame the Assembly for directing all transport towards Cardiff at the expense of Swansea and it will get worse.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

City centre investment on 11:55 - Nov 1 with 775 viewsBrynmill_Jack

City centre investment on 11:14 - Nov 1 by jack_lord

My wife took the daughter shopping in Cardiff for the day yesterday properly for the first time. She came back from the outing and said to me in jest "can we move to Cardiff". I repeated the words of the Pontiff when Cardiff went to Rome.

The sad thing is for many, a vibrant shopping centre is important and ours is blinking poor in comparison. I remember being massively proud of the Quadrant when it opened. I thought as a kid that the centre was great but it hasn't moved on. Cardiff centre was rubbish back then and changes began when they opened St Davids and then the Capitol. Then devolution absolutely accelerated the massive changes up the road. Cardiff also has out of town Malls but they do not affect the centre. They have them in Culverhouse, the bay, Cardiff city stadium and Ty Glas as well as what Newport Road is.

I was talking to a couple over Cardiff way who regularly shopped in Swansea years ago saying it was great back then but haven't been for years. The changes have worsened as our infrastructure has not changed/improved in all that time. The City council haven't help but I blame the Assembly for directing all transport towards Cardiff at the expense of Swansea and it will get worse.

Slow death by strangulation and a million cuts.
The murder of the great City of Swansea - carried out by the Welsh assembly "government".

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

City centre investment on 12:17 - Nov 1 with 765 viewsStarsky

City centre investment on 09:54 - Nov 1 by perchrockjack

Wrong.

My mum says she hasn't been to Swansea in years for the same reasons Iv e stated. YOU forget what a fie place it really was, vibrant, pleasant and feck me decent city centre shops. Sorry , but if its pisseing down as it often is, having beautiful beaches is no compensation, people wont go to get soaked to the skin.
These day ,people want a thriving ,vibrant centre ,not pretty beaches. They can go abroad and lie on them in the sun, if they want that.

Large out of town units can kill but not all,Liverpool ,Manchester and Leeds do just fine, whereas Birkenhead and Ellesmere Port and examples where it has killed towns.

My problem is I knew Swansea was it was a confident metropolis where people went into to work eat and play. It kills me to see it as it is-if you don't mind me saying that. Im back soon for me ol fellas 90th birthday and he s seen the decline too.

It hurts starsks, it hurts ;it hurts like hell..
IM A PROUD MAN AND PROUD OF MY ROOTS;iF I wasn't then I really wouldn't be arsed would I.

You keep talking about the shopping centre. I agree with you. However there is more to our city than the kingsway. The Kingsway had been decimated by the council with their ridiculous bendy busses. there needs to be major investment in the City Centre but it ain't depressing for those living here. Otherwise we wouldn't live here would we?
With the greatest of respect. The opinion of your parents in their late 80s are not a broadminded review of our city's current facilities I'm going to go by.
I've had some time off this week...
I went to Fortes for breakfast. A quirky little shed, Looking out over Bracelet Bay. Magnificent.
We've got parks...
Victoria, Singleton, Brynmill, Cwmdonkin, Morriston, Llewellyn...
We have castles, Swansea, Oystermouth, Oxwich, Weobley...
we have some fantastic museums and a decent recently refurbished leisure centre.
I love eating at Chaplins, Patti Raj, Patrick's, SA1 restaurants...
... And all those beaches and open unspoilt common land.

rainfall? Are you serious? Doesn't it rain up North then? there's plenty to do in Swansea when it rains.
I was in town last week when it rained and I had a lovely Welsh breakfast in The Kardoma Cafe before I nipped into Swansea market to load up on lavabread and my locally produced vegetables.
All is not lost and it isn't depressing.

Oh and back to the gower... You can't take the Gower out of the equation.

It's like you saying "without Bony, our strikeforce is depressing" Well we do have Bony as we do have the Gower.

I haven't abused you or been discourteous to you but you really offend me when you deride my City as you do.

City centre investment on 13:54 - Nov 1 with 737 views3swan

City centre investment on 12:17 - Nov 1 by Starsky

You keep talking about the shopping centre. I agree with you. However there is more to our city than the kingsway. The Kingsway had been decimated by the council with their ridiculous bendy busses. there needs to be major investment in the City Centre but it ain't depressing for those living here. Otherwise we wouldn't live here would we?
With the greatest of respect. The opinion of your parents in their late 80s are not a broadminded review of our city's current facilities I'm going to go by.
I've had some time off this week...
I went to Fortes for breakfast. A quirky little shed, Looking out over Bracelet Bay. Magnificent.
We've got parks...
Victoria, Singleton, Brynmill, Cwmdonkin, Morriston, Llewellyn...
We have castles, Swansea, Oystermouth, Oxwich, Weobley...
we have some fantastic museums and a decent recently refurbished leisure centre.
I love eating at Chaplins, Patti Raj, Patrick's, SA1 restaurants...
... And all those beaches and open unspoilt common land.

rainfall? Are you serious? Doesn't it rain up North then? there's plenty to do in Swansea when it rains.
I was in town last week when it rained and I had a lovely Welsh breakfast in The Kardoma Cafe before I nipped into Swansea market to load up on lavabread and my locally produced vegetables.
All is not lost and it isn't depressing.

Oh and back to the gower... You can't take the Gower out of the equation.

It's like you saying "without Bony, our strikeforce is depressing" Well we do have Bony as we do have the Gower.

I haven't abused you or been discourteous to you but you really offend me when you deride my City as you do.

There is some truth in what Perch says but that can be said of most towns and cities across Britain apart from the big few.

Yes things need to change and imo the council gets the priorities wrong and are slow to react.

Swansea is still a great place to visit but a lot more could be done to make it the city by the sea
City centre investment on 14:03 - Nov 1 with 725 viewsStarsky

City centre investment on 13:54 - Nov 1 by 3swan

There is some truth in what Perch says but that can be said of most towns and cities across Britain apart from the big few.

Yes things need to change and imo the council gets the priorities wrong and are slow to react.

Swansea is still a great place to visit but a lot more could be done to make it the city by the sea

I totally agree with what you've written Clive.
All I was asking for is a touch of balance.
Perch might find visiting depressing but I live here and I don't find it depressing and as I live here, I'm pulling rank.
How's Coventry?

City centre investment on 14:10 - Nov 1 with 720 views3swan

City centre investment on 14:03 - Nov 1 by Starsky

I totally agree with what you've written Clive.
All I was asking for is a touch of balance.
Perch might find visiting depressing but I live here and I don't find it depressing and as I live here, I'm pulling rank.
How's Coventry?

Much the same .................... a dump or a place that could be better.

There is a huge difference in visiting a place and seeing run down areas etc.

The proof is living there.

Never lived in Swansea, being a Swansea Valley boy but still class it as my city. If only the council would have a joined up plan instead of a bit here and there then Swansea could really take off.

Comparing against other cities doesn't work as the limited space available in the centre to improve traffic flow. Move the hills inland by about a mile and watch the centre grow

City centre investment on 14:14 - Nov 1 with 710 viewsStarsky

Newport is a bit of a dump but I loved living there back in the early 80s.
Certainly wasn't depressing.

City centre investment on 14:16 - Nov 1 with 708 views3swan

City centre investment on 14:14 - Nov 1 by Starsky

Newport is a bit of a dump but I loved living there back in the early 80s.
Certainly wasn't depressing.

Exactly, you have to live somewhere to know the best places and the places to avoid.

Swansea has much to offer. A mate of mine took a holiday on the Gower a couple of years back and came back singing the praises of Swansea.

The sun was out though
City centre investment on 14:27 - Nov 1 with 690 viewsStarsky

City centre investment on 14:16 - Nov 1 by 3swan

Exactly, you have to live somewhere to know the best places and the places to avoid.

Swansea has much to offer. A mate of mine took a holiday on the Gower a couple of years back and came back singing the praises of Swansea.

The sun was out though

I remember that week. The umbrella shop went out of business.

City centre investment on 14:55 - Nov 1 with 660 viewsjack_lord

City centre investment on 11:55 - Nov 1 by Brynmill_Jack

Slow death by strangulation and a million cuts.
The murder of the great City of Swansea - carried out by the Welsh assembly "government".

That could be made in to a banner and should be printed out on the city entrance so everyone could see.

Devolution should be monitored by the real Government.

Cardiff should be made to give the money back.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

City centre investment on 19:06 - Nov 1 with 593 viewsCatullus

I voted against devolution. I saw no need for another layer of politicians. As it turns out I was right, but for a lot more reasons that I'd never considered.
Swansea has suffered because of the WAG, but also because our councils have been poor, unimaginative and plagued by political ideology.
Selling the cuvuc centre and koving everyone to the Kingsway will be a good start but still so much to do.
Also, I have to largely disagree with perch and bryn, in many respects Swansea is no worse than a lot of places, but in some we are much better. But many parts of the UK have scenery/countryside like ours. Try travelling around Scotland, Cornwall, Devon, Norfolk/Suffolk and the much derided north of England.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

City centre investment on 19:10 - Nov 1 with 588 viewsBrynmill_Jack

City centre investment on 14:55 - Nov 1 by jack_lord

That could be made in to a banner and should be printed out on the city entrance so everyone could see.

Devolution should be monitored by the real Government.

Cardiff should be made to give the money back.

I was hoping some brave soul would spray it on the pavement outside WAG towers. Or hold the banner suggested every time those ****** have a nice photo opportunity out there.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024