Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? 23:19 - Oct 30 with 3816 viewsJJJack

I'd urge that people try to look at the reality of the situation here rather than base it the odd great goal or crap sub performance......is this bloke underused?
The cumalative total of his time at Swansea (inc. 2011)
Apps: 8 (+11 as sub) Goals: 5
2014:
Apps 5 (+10 as sub) Goals: 3

Many of his sub appearances have been, really, decidedly short and he's hardly ever completed 90 mins. His goal ratio therefore, is pretty good and he seems to have a knack of making things happening .....assists etc when he is on whilst admittedly , not exactly convincing at times.
My suggestion would be to use him more as a winger more often....either as a starter or coming off the bench. My verdict thus far, is that a bit like Lamah, this guy has that unpredictability and directness that goes against our normal style and that we should look to incorporate that into a "Plan B" scenario a bit more often as I feel that as well as we're playing we are starting to get a little too predictable again. Emnes is very much NOT predictable......we could utilise this to surprise opposition teams a bit more IMO.
Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 23:27 - Oct 30 with 2952 viewsMrSwan

prepare to get absolutely torn apart.

Poll: Do you rate Shelvey?

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 23:36 - Oct 30 with 2928 viewsSwansNZ

supersub

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 23:44 - Oct 30 with 2906 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Great finisher, but absolutely nothing else about him impresses me.

No way does he deserve more playing time at this point.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 06:21 - Oct 31 with 2797 viewsdgt73

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 23:44 - Oct 30 by Tummer_from_Texas

You obviously never saw Gary Lineker play then did you. Englands second highest goal scorer in international football.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 07:25 - Oct 31 with 2755 viewsjack_in_exile

He is what he is - a decent addition from the bench. Shouldn't be a regular starter, should only be used as someone to come on and make something happen. That's where he's effective
Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 07:46 - Oct 31 with 2737 viewsbuilthjack

He would be vilified if he started regularly as he just would not be good enough.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 08:10 - Oct 31 with 2704 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Think he's being used just about right at the moment which probably reflects in the stats you have used - with more gametime there is no way he could keep that ratio up.

In reality he's not a striker
AM - Definately not to start ahead of Gylfi
Wing - probably not his best position but with Jeff only just breaking into first 11 he would have a bit to do to shift him

Think Marv knows his role with us and is more than happy to do it - doesn't seem the type to throw his toys out of the pram

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 09:05 - Oct 31 with 2643 viewsperchrockjack

Seems a good pro and a very effective one who seems to hit the target more often than not.
Hard to dislike

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Login to get fewer ads

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 09:54 - Oct 31 with 2620 viewsJackSomething

He's one of those relatively rare players (for us anyway) who can make something happen coming off the bench. He also covers a number of positions adequately.

As others have said, he's not better than the other players in the positions he covers, so doesn't deserve to start regularly, but very useful for cover/rotation. For £1m, I'd say he has to go down as a bargain.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 09:56 - Oct 31 with 2612 viewsperchrockjack

I watched his movement in Tuesday JS and he s always looking for space and to do something. I was right in front of him when he got his goal which was taken so well

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 11:51 - Oct 31 with 2553 viewsStarsky

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 23:44 - Oct 30 by Tummer_from_Texas

Great finisher is not too shabby.
The only difference I would make is give him more than a ten minute stint.
At least give him twenty minute cameos.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2014 12:09]

It's just the internet, init.

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 12:21 - Oct 31 with 2514 viewsLeonisGod

Direct, causes problems with his movement, scores goals, can deliver on the big occasions. What's not to like? Gylfi suits us better with Wilf at the moment, but Emnes is one of the better options from the bench we've had for a while.
Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 12:26 - Oct 31 with 2503 viewsmax936

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 09:54 - Oct 31 by JackSomething

He's one of those relatively rare players (for us anyway) who can make something happen coming off the bench. He also covers a number of positions adequately.

As others have said, he's not better than the other players in the positions he covers, so doesn't deserve to start regularly, but very useful for cover/rotation. For £1m, I'd say he has to go down as a bargain.

This 100%

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 12:49 - Oct 31 with 2478 viewsStarsky

He's made a much bigger impact than Gomis but I don't see him getting any pelters whatsoever.
The goal he scored at Liverpool was sublime. EVEN IF HE DIDNT LOOK UP.

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 12:52 - Oct 31 with 2468 viewsStarsky

Sorry... Forgot... FACT!

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 13:06 - Oct 31 with 2445 viewsSwanaldinho

Emnes is a very underrated player. Somebody compared him to Lamah that is a joke our Marv is much better than that.

I have been saying it for ages when Marv comes on things happen whether it be a goal or he wins us set pieces etc he is a very intelligent and dangerous player.

Unfortunately for Marv, his best position is already taken by Gylfi and he does not really fit in to our system any other way but what a great option from the bench.
Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 15:21 - Oct 31 with 2357 viewsDrizzy

Talented player. The hysteria surrounding his signing was laughable. A lot of egg on WarwickHunt's face now.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 15:57 - Oct 31 with 2323 viewsWarwickHunt

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 15:21 - Oct 31 by Drizzy

Talented player. The hysteria surrounding his signing was laughable. A lot of egg on WarwickHunt's face now.

Superb finish but was utter f*cking gash for the rest of the match.
Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 16:01 - Oct 31 with 2317 viewsswancity

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 15:21 - Oct 31 by Drizzy

Warwicks got so much egg on his face that he turned around quickly last night and it made an omelette for 6.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 16:04 - Oct 31 with 2311 viewsWarwickHunt

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 16:01 - Oct 31 by swancity

Warwicks got so much egg on his face that he turned around quickly last night and it made an omelette for 6.

Aye aye - Lexy's had a Babycham.
Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 16:28 - Oct 31 with 2274 viewsDavillin

Perhaps the "received truths" on this thread about Emnes are because his game time -- especially with a full "first team" -- is so limited that all he can do is score.

A famous U.S. football coach once described a wide receiver by saying, "All he does is score touchdowns." WTF?

All Emnes has a chance to do is to score goals. I do admit that at present, he's effectively blocked out of his best position(s) by probably better, certainly more favoured, players.

That happens more often than I'd like to see.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 17:22 - Oct 31 with 2230 viewsQuakerJack

I feel more confident seeing him come off the bench than Gomis

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 07:16 - Nov 1 with 2071 viewsLord_Bony

I like his style...tons of energy.

Should be given more playtime at least 30 min stint.

Could develop into something really good in future.

Let's not forget last season he saved our ass on more than one occasion when he came on.

Good addition to the squad.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 19:05 - Jan 6 with 1838 viewsJJJack

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 12:21 - Oct 31 by LeonisGod

Direct, causes problems with his movement, scores goals, can deliver on the big occasions. What's not to like? Gylfi suits us better with Wilf at the moment, but Emnes is one of the better options from the bench we've had for a while.

ok, I'm gonna resurrect this thread and point to this post by LeonisGod and throw it back out there. In my opinion, assuming Gomis will be the regular CF for us going forward, will we/should we see Emnes on the pitch more now??
I've enjoyed the way Emnes has linked with Bony and Gomis of late.....with Montero out injured I hope/expect Marvellous to play a far more prominent role now, mainly on the wing but as a 2nd striker on occasion (as he was used v Tranmere and against Sunderland in May). This could be the way forward for the rest of the season....or at least til Jeff is back.
I can even, maybe see Siggy playing deeper with Ki away....he does this for Iceland at times, leaving Emnes to play behind Bafe..
[Post edited 6 Jan 2015 19:07]
Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 19:22 - Jan 6 with 1797 viewsLeonisGod

Marvellous Marvin - Is he under-used by us? on 16:28 - Oct 31 by Davillin

Perhaps the "received truths" on this thread about Emnes are because his game time -- especially with a full "first team" -- is so limited that all he can do is score.

A famous U.S. football coach once described a wide receiver by saying, "All he does is score touchdowns." WTF?

All Emnes has a chance to do is to score goals. I do admit that at present, he's effectively blocked out of his best position(s) by probably better, certainly more favoured, players.

That happens more often than I'd like to see.

That makes no sense. By that logic all Schecter and Vasquez had the time to do was score goals, except they didn't. Your US football analogy would be better suited to a player like Lineaker mentioned above, who only came alive in the box. Or whatshisname, the big fella for Milwall amongst others who now commentates on the Football League show.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024