Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 01:00 - Oct 31 with 3450 views_

Talking about the infamous letter Mrs Monk received i mentioned one I'd sent the legend Frankie Burrows 21 years ago next month.

This was his reply that got my total respect and to shut up a mad, young Swans fan ;-)

Dear Mr T2C

Thank you for your letter, and if I can answer your questions I will try.

You talk about the playing system of one central striker with two wide strikers, when this is working well all three strikers should have plenty of movement and goal chances.

This club is losing £5,000 a week and part of my job is to raise money to help Mr Sharpe keep Swans in a financially stable position. This means I have to develop the youth policy and also try and sell at a profit so that you can have a football club to support.

In Mr Sharpe's case, he must have put hundreds of thousands of pounds of his money to keep the Swans going.

So I find your criticism about Mr Sharpe and myself lacking the ambition to get out of Division 1 totally wrong and you are out of order in saying so.

This week I have had talks with Ron Donovan, Peter Storer, Craig Marshall and Ian Brogie. At this moment in time I don't have any money to bring players in unless I sell another player and I don't really want to sell anymore young players at this stage.

So I will be trying to bring loan players in like Warren Aspinall, but the wage that Warren gets is so way out of our league money wise.

I don't answer all my letters because I have no short hand typist here at the club and as you can see i have to write it myself and as my writing is not that good anyway you will spend the rest of the week trying to read it.

This is private information so I hope as a supporter you respect this. Thank you for your support.

Yours

Frankie Burrows

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 01:19 - Oct 31 with 2305 views_

And here it is... I guessed the players names he mentioned cos his writing was indeed that bad ;-)

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 01:21 - Oct 31 with 2301 views_

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 01:19 - Oct 31 by _

And here it is... I guessed the players names he mentioned cos his writing was indeed that bad ;-)

No wonder we were losing 5 grand a week, check out that posh paper we were using...

Hmm, I wonder if Huw C was involved in printing that? ;-)

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 02:27 - Oct 31 with 2270 viewsSwansNZ

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 01:21 - Oct 31 by _

No wonder we were losing 5 grand a week, check out that posh paper we were using...

he likes to space his words

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 08:32 - Oct 31 with 2117 viewsDarran

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 01:21 - Oct 31 by _

It's quite weird to think you've alwsys been the same throughout your Swans following years.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 08:35 - Oct 31 with 2097 viewsUxbridge

And yet you couldn't respect his request for privacy. Poor show. Still, not the first time a manager has defended his chairman either

Good stuff. I loved Frankie.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 08:52 - Oct 31 with 2067 viewsFrank_Lazarus

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 02:27 - Oct 31 by SwansNZ

he likes to space his words

Exactly.

Pretty profligate, that. He could have got all that down on a single sheet, the flash get.
Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:18 - Oct 31 with 2026 views_

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 08:35 - Oct 31 by Uxbridge

And yet you couldn't respect his request for privacy. Poor show. Still, not the first time a manager has defended his chairman either

Good stuff. I loved Frankie.

We agreed on a 20 year confidentiality clause ;-)

We used to go down and pester him in training in Fairwood or wherever else they might be, they used to move around back then. We'd help him to gather the cones back in. He was a top bloke, a proper man's man and as we all know one hell of a character.

I was complaining in my letter about playing the 451 system and fed up of seeing Torpey win countless flick ons only to see the keeper gather them up easily (remember those days) ;-) and also I said Jason Bowen would never make a winger, he falls over as soon as he's touched. I was asking for Bowen to play off Stevey Torps haha... Also said there was only 3100 there last Saturday and if we're not careful that figure will get lower..

So who was around back then? Darran and Dick, what were you doing with your Saturdays back then??

Once a Jack always a Jack. Man and Boy.

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:23 - Oct 31 with 2014 viewsUxbridge

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:18 - Oct 31 by _

We used to go down and pester him in training in Fairwood or wherever else they might be, they used to move around back then. We'd help him to gather the cones back in. He was a top bloke, a proper man's man and as we all know one hell of a character.

I was complaining in my letter about playing the 451 system and fed up of seeing Torpey win countless flick ons only to see the keeper gather them up easily (remember those days) ;-) and also I said Jason Bowen would never make a winger, he falls over as soon as he's touched. I was asking for Bowen to play off Stevey Torps haha... Also said there was only 3100 there last Saturday and if we're not careful that figure will get lower..

So who was around back then? Darran and Dick, what were you doing with your Saturdays back then??

Heh. I used to think exactly the same.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Login to get fewer ads

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:29 - Oct 31 with 1998 views_

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:23 - Oct 31 by Uxbridge

Heh. I used to think exactly the same.

Also gave Torpey a lift home from Neptunes one night. It must have been my turn to drive, everyone else was pissed and he jumped in to save paying for a taxi haha. Top bloke as well, very humble and good fun. He sent me a signed photo then haha cos I gave him my name and address. Jesus Christ....they were the days, innocent or what??!! ;-)

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:33 - Oct 31 with 1981 viewsjackforever

Me too. The one thing bowen was excellent at back then was running of torpey flick ons. Frankie burrows black and white army! Followed by a chorus of hes fat hes round hes robbed a million pounds. Looking back old dougie got some serious grief for keeping the club afloat. Not sure if he ever robbed a million pounds either!
Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:42 - Oct 31 with 1958 viewsDarran

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:33 - Oct 31 by jackforever

Me too. The one thing bowen was excellent at back then was running of torpey flick ons. Frankie burrows black and white army! Followed by a chorus of hes fat hes round hes robbed a million pounds. Looking back old dougie got some serious grief for keeping the club afloat. Not sure if he ever robbed a million pounds either!

It was "he's got a million pounds" wasn't it?

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:43 - Oct 31 with 1957 views_

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:33 - Oct 31 by jackforever

Haha the way I see it ol Dougie back then couldn't have afforded to have been losing £5k a week and I'm sure that was just the "take pity rhetoric" he'd come out with. For him to stay as long as he did, he must have had a few good "earners" down there. Any building work was his to do for a start,I'm sure the club kept his building company afloat if nothing else.

I can hear his voice every now and again, like some kind of ghost or demon I drag around with me. Proper Swansea mush haha.

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:45 - Oct 31 with 1945 views_

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:42 - Oct 31 by Darran

It was "he's got a million pounds" wasn't it?

Err NO.

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:48 - Oct 31 with 1931 viewsDarran

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:45 - Oct 31 by _

Err NO.

Well it definitely became it because there was thousands of song sheets given out at Wembley.

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:56 - Oct 31 with 1915 viewsJackfath

T2C must be one of the best fans at SCFC.

Been following them for years, writing letters to managers, lifts to players and offering his tactical knowledge!

You should be working for the Swans mush!

lol

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:58 - Oct 31 with 1913 views_

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:48 - Oct 31 by Darran

Well it definitely became it because there was thousands of song sheets given out at Wembley.

So you weren't around in those days then...

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:58 - Oct 31 with 1908 viewsDarran

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:56 - Oct 31 by Jackfath

T2C must be one of the best fans at SCFC.

Been following them for years, writing letters to managers, lifts to players and offering his tactical knowledge!

You should be working for the Swans mush!

lol

Innit? And he calls people stalkers. lol

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:59 - Oct 31 with 1905 viewsStarsky

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 01:19 - Oct 31 by _

Haha... Brilliant.

He definitely writes my doctors prescriptions.

Ian Bogie... I think ex Preston he was.

Warren Aspinall now there was a player with some issues, lol.

I wrote a letter to John Lyall once at West Ham asking for a trial. I can't believe I had a reply... But alas no trial.

Frankie Burrows signed some fantastic bargains for our club, brilliant man, should have had more success in management.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2014 10:01]

It's just the internet, init.

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 10:01 - Oct 31 with 1895 viewsDarran

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:58 - Oct 31 by _

So you weren't around in those days then...

You were still shitting yellow when I was watching the Swans Sonny.

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 10:09 - Oct 31 with 1876 viewsWarwickHunt

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:48 - Oct 31 by Darran

Who do you think paid for them?
Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 10:10 - Oct 31 with 1869 views_

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 10:01 - Oct 31 by Darran

You were still shitting yellow when I was watching the Swans Sonny.

Just a bit deaf then or never sang along with everyone else?

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 10:13 - Oct 31 with 1860 viewsCatullus

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:18 - Oct 31 by _

I was there, and I agreed with your thoughts on Torpey. He always had to take high balls with his back to goal. I'm sure he could have scored more if we'd got round the back and put him in facing goal more often.
Also agree about Burrows, I worked down the Vetch back then. Frankie was totally sound, a gentleman, if you deserved it. He always said hello, always answered when you spoke to him.
Sharpe is much maligned ( and I found Robin to be a complete dick! ) but having met him, and spoken at length about the Swans, he deserves some stick but not everything that went his way. There were certain realities back then that most of us didn't (and still shouldn't) know. Much like today really, people want to know things but can't keep their mouths shut. They could damage the club but prefer their two minutes of fame.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 10:14 - Oct 31 with 1921 views_

At that time, I agree. But it's common knowledge now that Jimmy Savile was a horrible paedophile and you find it funny to take a cheap shot and what exactly are you insinuating mate????

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 10:18 - Oct 31 with 1891 viewsJackfath

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 10:14 - Oct 31 by _

At that time, I agree. But it's common knowledge now that Jimmy Savile was a horrible paedophile and you find it funny to take a cheap shot and what exactly are you insinuating mate????

I am not your mate. I am not insinuating anything. Please stop sending me threatening PMs.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 10:20 - Oct 31 with 1880 views_

Letter received from the legend Frankie Burrows 26th November 1993 on 09:59 - Oct 31 by Starsky

Haha... Brilliant.

He definitely writes my doctors prescriptions.

Ian Bogie... I think ex Preston he was.

Warren Aspinall now there was a player with some issues, lol.

I wrote a letter to John Lyall once at West Ham asking for a trial. I can't believe I had a reply... But alas no trial.

Frankie Burrows signed some fantastic bargains for our club, brilliant man, should have had more success in management.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2014 10:01]

I'm not sure about the other names his writing was so bad ;)

Craig Marshall I think I could make out and like you say, Ian Bogie. I was guessing the other 2.

Aspinall was a great player though wasn't he. He didn't move much but he oozed class on the ball back then. Liked to play fack on the Kingsway though ;)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024