Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? 23:37 - Nov 11 with 12398 viewsLord_Bony

Well Swansea City Counil own the land. A consortium of developers and the council built the stadium in 2005 at a cost of £26 million...upon further investigation the council have leased the ground to SCFC for a period of no less than 150 years!

So there is no danger of it being taken back in our lifetimes.

Feasibly the club could buy back off the council,who would be sympathetic to the cause for somewhere in the region of £15-20 million?

There would probably be a clause whereby we would have to give a good deal to The Ospreys and look after them so they may still enjoy there peppercorn rent they are currently paying.

The consequences of this would be very positive for the clubs future and a prime asset to own.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2014 23:41]

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 23:46 - Nov 11 with 3603 viewsMrSwan

I have spoke to some ospreys fans who don't want to be at the liberty because the atmosphere is so dull during their 7k attendances in a 20k capacity stadium its probably the ospreys directors and those in suites that want to play at the liberty so if we did buy it we could allow them to play there by rocketing their rent. I would love us to buy it and expand it as this seems to define a small club to a big club.

Poll: Do you rate Shelvey?

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 23:56 - Nov 11 with 3584 viewsLord_Bony

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 23:46 - Nov 11 by MrSwan

I have spoke to some ospreys fans who don't want to be at the liberty because the atmosphere is so dull during their 7k attendances in a 20k capacity stadium its probably the ospreys directors and those in suites that want to play at the liberty so if we did buy it we could allow them to play there by rocketing their rent. I would love us to buy it and expand it as this seems to define a small club to a big club.

You are right...it s the status symbol that defines a big club,especially in the Premier League.

Added to this of course,we would get ALL the money from the naming rights and rebranding of the stadium and right there is a sizeable chunk of money towards the purchase cost itself.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 04:00 - Nov 12 with 3479 viewsphact0rri

I think it was mentioned in another post.. but don't the Ospreys have a stake at liberty as well.. and I get the feeling they are well off judging by the state in rugby (I'm a scarlets supporter [Pembrokeshire lad] don't slag me to badly) and they'd probably try to decry anything on that account.

Also mentioned, I think it would be in the interest of the region to sort something with the regions rugby club and maybe do a dutch buy if anything?

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 05:39 - Nov 12 with 3455 viewsjack247

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 04:00 - Nov 12 by phact0rri

I think it was mentioned in another post.. but don't the Ospreys have a stake at liberty as well.. and I get the feeling they are well off judging by the state in rugby (I'm a scarlets supporter [Pembrokeshire lad] don't slag me to badly) and they'd probably try to decry anything on that account.

Also mentioned, I think it would be in the interest of the region to sort something with the regions rugby club and maybe do a dutch buy if anything?

Ospreys aren't well off. They may be in comparison to the Scarlets, I'm not sure? But the regional funding from WRU isn't massive and they don't generate a lot from ticket sales. They don't get much more than a quarter of our crowd and a lot of them are on £99 season tickets/discounted kids rates etc. I'm sure they would at least consider a deal to take a fee and either rent from us or even play at the smaller grounds to give their matches a bit more atmosphere.
Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 07:47 - Nov 12 with 3348 viewsjackportis

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 05:39 - Nov 12 by jack247

Ospreys aren't well off. They may be in comparison to the Scarlets, I'm not sure? But the regional funding from WRU isn't massive and they don't generate a lot from ticket sales. They don't get much more than a quarter of our crowd and a lot of them are on £99 season tickets/discounted kids rates etc. I'm sure they would at least consider a deal to take a fee and either rent from us or even play at the smaller grounds to give their matches a bit more atmosphere.

The ospreys should go back to st helens the home of the swansea rugby hq.

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 08:00 - Nov 12 with 3324 viewsjacksinceever

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 07:47 - Nov 12 by jackportis

The ospreys should go back to st helens the home of the swansea rugby hq.

I believe the Ospreys are a combination of Neath & Swansea - probably why they played at Neath recently?
Swansea already has it's own rugby team I believe?
I agree though that the Ospreys playing at the Liberty cannot benefit (players or fans) anyone apart from the few sitting in the posh seats 7 the boxes
Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 08:48 - Nov 12 with 3240 viewsmonmouth

The only reason to own the ground as I see it is to gain the benefits of expansion (otherwise you are effectively carrying out home improvements for the benefit of your landlord). If we are not going to expand there is no purpose in ownership at all when you have a 150 year lease at a comparatively low rent.

The argument that owning your own ground transforms you into a big club is just laughable. No, beyond laughable. I'm surprised anyone fell for that old pony.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 08:56 - Nov 12 with 3214 viewsBanosswan

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 08:48 - Nov 12 by monmouth

The only reason to own the ground as I see it is to gain the benefits of expansion (otherwise you are effectively carrying out home improvements for the benefit of your landlord). If we are not going to expand there is no purpose in ownership at all when you have a 150 year lease at a comparatively low rent.

The argument that owning your own ground transforms you into a big club is just laughable. No, beyond laughable. I'm surprised anyone fell for that old pony.

But it's exactly what makes kerrrdiff a big club mun.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Login to get fewer ads

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 08:57 - Nov 12 with 3211 viewsmonmouth

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 08:56 - Nov 12 by Banosswan

But it's exactly what makes kerrrdiff a big club mun.

Oh yeah, how dull of me, how could I forget.

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 09:02 - Nov 12 with 3196 viewsJoe_bradshaw

If we owned the Liberty the American "investors" would be even more interested and the selling price for the shareholders would be even higher.

Cute action plan for the current shareholders:-

Swansea City borrow money to buy the Liberty.
Swansea City become more attractive to "investors".
Shareholders sell at higher price and live happily ever after.
Swansea City FC are at the mercy of the new "investors".

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 09:03 - Nov 12 with 3193 viewssherpajacob

Like many others I support both swans and ospreys. Whilst I would welcome ospreys taking smaller games eg connaght and the Italian teams to st Helens, gnoll and bridgend, none of those grounds could accommodate the crowds for the welsh derbies and the top Irish teams.

I think the current arrangement works well. Cardiff put the extension on their,stand in no time at all, so I guess an extension to the east stand would not be that difficult to arrange

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 10:20 - Nov 12 with 3068 viewsjacksinceever

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 09:03 - Nov 12 by sherpajacob

Like many others I support both swans and ospreys. Whilst I would welcome ospreys taking smaller games eg connaght and the Italian teams to st Helens, gnoll and bridgend, none of those grounds could accommodate the crowds for the welsh derbies and the top Irish teams.

I think the current arrangement works well. Cardiff put the extension on their,stand in no time at all, so I guess an extension to the east stand would not be that difficult to arrange

Best crowd for the Ospreys this season was 10,821 at home to Cardiff Blues at the Liberty.
Hardly justifies playing at a stadium which hopefully in a few years time could hold 30k plus.
Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 10:38 - Nov 12 with 3036 viewsfelixstowe_jack

I am sure the Christmas fixture v the Scarlets will be in the region of 20,000

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 10:39 - Nov 12 with 3033 viewsScoobyWho

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 10:38 - Nov 12 by felixstowe_jack

I am sure the Christmas fixture v the Scarlets will be in the region of 20,000

One off fixtures don't justify it though.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 10:42 - Nov 12 with 3027 viewsreddythered

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 09:03 - Nov 12 by sherpajacob

Ours didn't take long because the infrastructure was built to enable expansion.

I've no idea how the Liberty was designed/built, but if it was constructed to only ever be 20k, then expanding would take a fair bit of additional work.

Poll: 94th minute; Medel does Charlie Adam, causing a career ending injury. Do you..

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 10:43 - Nov 12 with 3024 viewsScoobyWho

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 10:42 - Nov 12 by reddythered

Ours didn't take long because the infrastructure was built to enable expansion.

I've no idea how the Liberty was designed/built, but if it was constructed to only ever be 20k, then expanding would take a fair bit of additional work.

Apparently it will all start in January.
Which it wont.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 10:56 - Nov 12 with 2997 viewsmonmouth

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 10:43 - Nov 12 by ScoobyWho

Apparently it will all start in January.
Which it wont.

For some reason that made me laugh. Maybe that's the way it should be announced from now on "Work is scheduled not to be planned to start next January"

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 10:56 - Nov 12 with 2996 viewsscottishjack

I personally think that if it is possible, the Swans buying the Liberty is the way forward for the club. It doesn't make a great deal of sense to spend a lot of money expanding the ground when it doesn't belong to the club.

As for the Ospreys, they could surely find some common ground where they use the Liberty for the games where they can expect a decent crowd, and take the lesser games on the road again (Gnoll, St.Helens, Brewery Field)? It was this that made the Ospreys the only region who actually tried to go "Regional" in the first place.
Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 11:04 - Nov 12 with 2980 viewsBanosswan

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 10:20 - Nov 12 by jacksinceever

Best crowd for the Ospreys this season was 10,821 at home to Cardiff Blues at the Liberty.
Hardly justifies playing at a stadium which hopefully in a few years time could hold 30k plus.

The Gnoll, St Helen's, The Brewery Field or the Talbot Athletic ground couldn't accommodate that attendance.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 11:08 - Nov 12 with 2970 viewsscottishjack

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 11:04 - Nov 12 by Banosswan

The Gnoll, St Helen's, The Brewery Field or the Talbot Athletic ground couldn't accommodate that attendance.

Agreed, I have also been told that one of the obstacles at St.Helens is the lack of hospitality areas.
Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 11:17 - Nov 12 with 2945 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

The ground isn't ours obviously , we are renting it from someone , so are the ospreys .
The big screens are ours ,its costing the Ospreys over 40000 a year to use the big screens
Also the ospreys have 41 years of a lease remaining so the swans would have to buy them out and provide them with a suitable new venue

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 11:46 - Nov 12 with 2896 viewsKennedy

Well the champions don't own their ground. And have most of the naming rights income for themselves. Get £35m a year and pay Manchester City Council just £2m a year.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/oct/04/manchester-city-council-stadium-

Just call me JFK

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 11:56 - Nov 12 with 2877 viewsmonmouth

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 11:46 - Nov 12 by Kennedy

Well the champions don't own their ground. And have most of the naming rights income for themselves. Get £35m a year and pay Manchester City Council just £2m a year.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/oct/04/manchester-city-council-stadium-

Can't be a big club then. Obviously.

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 12:05 - Nov 12 with 2862 viewssomersetsimon

Does someone have an Idiots Guide to the Liberty Stadium deal? I've seen so many conflicting stories and it's all a bit confusing.

-I have a vague recollection from the past that there was some sort of grant funding associated with the initial building of the stadium that was only available if the capacity was below a certain figure. What was the real story?

-Swansea City council aren't known for throwing money around. I can't imagine them spending £27M without expecting a return at some point in the future. Is it really true that the 'rent' paid by the Swans and the Ospreys doesn't even cover the running costs? I would have thought that the council would charge enough to cover the running costs and pay off the building costs over, say, 25 years.

-I can understand the State Aid concerns if it was clear that the Swans and the Ospreys (as businesses) had effectively been subsidised by the council and hence had an unfair advantage over other similar businesses in other areas. Whatever happened to that EU investigation?
Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 13:24 - Nov 12 with 2737 viewsMattG

Maybe it's just me but what really would be the point?

If we've got a 150 year lease and there is no objection in principle from Stadco to us expanding without actually owning the place outright then the only impact I can see of owning the Liberty is to increase our attractiveness to investors.

I can't see any genuine positives.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024