Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? 23:37 - Nov 11 with 12396 viewsLord_Bony

Well Swansea City Counil own the land. A consortium of developers and the council built the stadium in 2005 at a cost of £26 million...upon further investigation the council have leased the ground to SCFC for a period of no less than 150 years!

So there is no danger of it being taken back in our lifetimes.

Feasibly the club could buy back off the council,who would be sympathetic to the cause for somewhere in the region of £15-20 million?

There would probably be a clause whereby we would have to give a good deal to The Ospreys and look after them so they may still enjoy there peppercorn rent they are currently paying.

The consequences of this would be very positive for the clubs future and a prime asset to own.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2014 23:41]

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 18:25 - Nov 15 with 1458 viewsStarsky

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 20:21 - Nov 12 by Lord_Bony

Monster Trucks being just one example of many stadium type events that could be put on more regularly...with the catchment area it could be very profitable as the only other alternative being the Millenium or CCFC, those venues are too far for people to travel to.

The naming and branding of the stadium as far as I know the lions share goes back to the council.

Undoubtedly,the venue and land is prime real estate in the middle of a busy,profitable retail park that is thriving.The value would definitely increase over the years. I m not talking about moving ground but to sit on that asset and milk it for all its worth.

It can be offered as security and any value increases skimmed off and remortgaged for a couple of million every few years. Few banks would turn down that form of collateral.

The extra profits could be inwardly invested in the team and infrastructure of the club...no need for outside investors in that case,we have invested in our own future and own everything lock,stock and barrel.

If done correctly and astutely the club and stadium would be a well oiled money making machine with a great profitable future ahead...whats more it would belong still to the fans and board to run purely for the profit and future of the S.S.F.C.

Monster trucks... On our beautiful pitch?
Are you mad??
Ps, I've got a stuffed M&S chicken for Sunday dinner LB!

It's just the internet, init.

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 19:09 - Nov 15 with 1409 viewsLord_Bony

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 18:25 - Nov 15 by Starsky

Monster trucks... On our beautiful pitch?
Are you mad??
Ps, I've got a stuffed M&S chicken for Sunday dinner LB!

Oh joy!

To be honest this thread has transformed into something from the science lab in Star Trek.

Can we do one on Sunday Dinners instead please?

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 19:51 - Nov 15 with 1370 viewsShaky

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 15:02 - Nov 15 by londonlisa2001

1. What I actually said was this
'not worth the paper it is written on other than as a comparator to other companies in the same industry and only then, if the people using it are clued up enough to remove the positive or adverse effect of differing balance sheet treatments before calculation and adjust for discrepancies caused by the adoption of, for example, US Gaap as compared to IFRS'

so you'll note that I said 'unless' and then 'same industry' and 'with discrepancies caused by accounting stuff taken out'.

You've tried to turn that to 'worthless'.

Question since you seem to enjoy a quiz - do you believe that ROCE will have the same accept / reject threshold for a supermarket, for example as for a decision on whether to open a new power station?

Another question - even if you were to compare the ROCE achieved by lets say Walmart with Tesco with Aldi, so all supermarkets, would it be a good comparison unless you understood the accounting policies used within each (or forced on them by the adoption of US or IFRS accounting standards)?

By the way - again your understanding of what 'cash based' means is a little out of date if the only thing you can think of is a DCF. The move throughout industry, the banks that appraise those industries and the accountants that review those industries towards cash based measures encompasses all sorts of things, not just DCF. The whole notion of EBITDA and its derivatives rather than Profit is a very simple example of the move to cash measures. And I'm pretty certain that Bain, BCG or every other consultancy practice know all about it.

By the way Shaky - since you keep crapping on about it - I'm not an accountant you know - I am qualified as one and a member of the relevant Institute, but I haven't been 'an accountant' for a good 20 years. I was an accountant in 1990 though when I was also using Lotus 123. Did you know that Microsoft automatically build all short cut keys from 123 into Excel because there are so many people around that used that as their first spreadsheet package? You're not on your own with that.

I have to tell you, Lisa, when I first saw your comments about the super duper improved cash-flow metric I assumed you had mind the flawed but nevertheless reasonably adult NPV and IRR measures, and when I read it was EBITDA I laughed so hard I developed a searing pain in my right hand side.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 20:14 - Nov 15 with 1344 viewslondonlisa2001

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 19:51 - Nov 15 by Shaky

I have to tell you, Lisa, when I first saw your comments about the super duper improved cash-flow metric I assumed you had mind the flawed but nevertheless reasonably adult NPV and IRR measures, and when I read it was EBITDA I laughed so hard I developed a searing pain in my right hand side.

I didn't say that though Shaky did I? However much you try to twist and squirm having yet again been found out.

I specifically said it was a 'simple example' of the move away from assessment of returns based on the concept of 'profit'. I had to use a simple example otherwise you wouldn't have heard of it and frankly Google couldn't cope.
Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 21:04 - Nov 15 with 1304 viewsmonmouth

EBITDA is a profit based measure though Lisa, just with one estimated variation taken out. It's a bit better than ROCE but still has similar issues. Anyway, Shaky knows 5% of F all about the real use of any of these measures in project appraisal without doubt given some of his comments today, reversing beepers full on, and inability to answer simple questions on obviously googled things he chose to post.

So no doubt cue yet more bluster. I'm sure mummy was very proud of her little soldier in 1990 when he could use Lotus 123! Probably used it to decimate the CEO of JP Morgan. Lets hear it 'sonny'.

I'm opting out now for good on this one which I'm sure will come as a relief to John and Itchy!
[Post edited 15 Nov 2014 21:06]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 21:10 - Nov 15 with 1283 viewsShaky

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 20:14 - Nov 15 by londonlisa2001

I didn't say that though Shaky did I? However much you try to twist and squirm having yet again been found out.

I specifically said it was a 'simple example' of the move away from assessment of returns based on the concept of 'profit'. I had to use a simple example otherwise you wouldn't have heard of it and frankly Google couldn't cope.

Lisa, you have certainly set the record straight.

I have been found out by virtue of the fact that despite multiple invitations you are unable to name the superior cash-flow metric you claimed.

And I am squirming because you are unable to come up with anything other than empty headed cliches like cash is king.

Hahahahahaha.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 21:12 - Nov 15 with 1280 viewsShaky

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 21:04 - Nov 15 by monmouth

EBITDA is a profit based measure though Lisa, just with one estimated variation taken out. It's a bit better than ROCE but still has similar issues. Anyway, Shaky knows 5% of F all about the real use of any of these measures in project appraisal without doubt given some of his comments today, reversing beepers full on, and inability to answer simple questions on obviously googled things he chose to post.

So no doubt cue yet more bluster. I'm sure mummy was very proud of her little soldier in 1990 when he could use Lotus 123! Probably used it to decimate the CEO of JP Morgan. Lets hear it 'sonny'.

I'm opting out now for good on this one which I'm sure will come as a relief to John and Itchy!

EBITDA is a bit better than ROCE?

Fact is you are a fool, and you simply have no conception how comprehensively outclassed you are. Just like Lisa.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 21:33 - Nov 15 with 1248 viewslondonlisa2001

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 21:04 - Nov 15 by monmouth

yes - that's why I described it as a simplistic move towards cash measures. I agree with you though. Anything that has profit as its starting point is flawed for the reasons I stated initially however many things are taken out of it.

I'm still waiting for his answers anyway on ROCE for different industries and/or different accounting conventions. I'll be waiting a while.

Anyway - as you say, this is boring for everyone else so I am also opting out for the sake of John etc who raised a very good point earlier!
Login to get fewer ads

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 10:16 - Nov 16 with 1164 viewsShaky

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 21:33 - Nov 15 by londonlisa2001

yes - that's why I described it as a simplistic move towards cash measures. I agree with you though. Anything that has profit as its starting point is flawed for the reasons I stated initially however many things are taken out of it.

I'm still waiting for his answers anyway on ROCE for different industries and/or different accounting conventions. I'll be waiting a while.

Anyway - as you say, this is boring for everyone else so I am also opting out for the sake of John etc who raised a very good point earlier!

Where would you start calculating cash-flow, lisa? With a cheque book reconciliation?

A word of advice if you want to try to maintain your ever so thin veneer of competence; stick to vague generalisations and avoid any kind of definitive statements, 'cos they are invariably wrong.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2014 10:18]

Misology -- It's a bitch

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 13:43 - Nov 16 with 1097 viewslondonlisa2001

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 10:16 - Nov 16 by Shaky

Where would you start calculating cash-flow, lisa? With a cheque book reconciliation?

A word of advice if you want to try to maintain your ever so thin veneer of competence; stick to vague generalisations and avoid any kind of definitive statements, 'cos they are invariably wrong.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2014 10:18]

ha ha ha ha, Shaky - so you believe that because you'll have seen on google that you can reconcile back to the cash figure from the profit figure, that means that cashflow has profit as a starting point and is, therefore, a profit based measure??

That is precious.
Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 13:57 - Nov 16 with 1080 viewsClinton

quote above
"Swansea City council aren't known for throwing money around."
I beg to differ. My evidence:
- 8 million spent on some new pavements called "the boulevard"
- 5% council tax increase last year.
I rest my case.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 16:39 - Nov 16 with 1026 viewsShaky

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 13:43 - Nov 16 by londonlisa2001

ha ha ha ha, Shaky - so you believe that because you'll have seen on google that you can reconcile back to the cash figure from the profit figure, that means that cashflow has profit as a starting point and is, therefore, a profit based measure??

That is precious.

No Lisa, you're the one who believed that cash-flow is the profit based accounting measure EBITDA, remember?

And nice to see you wheeling out the old Team W@nk Google meme again. In that spirit of nostalgia here is a refresher shot of one of my bookcase shelves.

The white volume near the middle "Corporate Finance" (Schlosser) is subtitled "A model Building Approach" which was the pioneering published work on spreadsheet DCF models. A little to the left is the later McKinsey book "Valuation: Measuring and Managing the Value of Companies" which I have in the first edition and has come to be recognised as the seminal work on the subject.

Of course I knew it all way before then, because I had it hammered into me by one of the aforementioned strategy consultants.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 16:55 - Nov 16 with 1001 viewsNeathJack

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 16:39 - Nov 16 by Shaky

No Lisa, you're the one who believed that cash-flow is the profit based accounting measure EBITDA, remember?

And nice to see you wheeling out the old Team W@nk Google meme again. In that spirit of nostalgia here is a refresher shot of one of my bookcase shelves.

The white volume near the middle "Corporate Finance" (Schlosser) is subtitled "A model Building Approach" which was the pioneering published work on spreadsheet DCF models. A little to the left is the later McKinsey book "Valuation: Measuring and Managing the Value of Companies" which I have in the first edition and has come to be recognised as the seminal work on the subject.

Of course I knew it all way before then, because I had it hammered into me by one of the aforementioned strategy consultants.

I've got all the Harry Potter books. It doesn't make me a fcuking magician though.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2014 17:04]
Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 17:00 - Nov 16 with 992 viewsairedale

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 16:55 - Nov 16 by NeathJack

I've got all the Harry Potter books. It doesn't make me a fcuking magician though.

Ah ha ha, best laugh I've had all day!
Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 17:12 - Nov 16 with 975 viewsPhil_S

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 17:42 - Nov 16 with 945 viewswaynekerr55

As there is no copy of 'fly fishing by JR Hartley' you have gone down in my estimations Shaky...

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 18:06 - Nov 16 with 925 viewsShaky

Clearly not. All it says is that you like a string of fairytales.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 18:15 - Nov 16 with 913 viewsjackonicko

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 18:06 - Nov 16 by Shaky

Clearly not. All it says is that you like a string of fairytales.

Some people might say the same with all those TA books on your bookshelf.
Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 18:18 - Nov 16 with 907 viewsShaky

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 18:15 - Nov 16 by jackonicko

That is only a small fraction of my technical analysis inventory.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 18:35 - Nov 16 with 887 viewsairedale

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 18:15 - Nov 16 by jackonicko

I toyed with the prospect of a military career in my younger days. A clot less dangerous in those days than it is now.
Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 18:39 - Nov 16 with 867 viewslondonlisa2001

nope - still didn't say that however many times you say so.

The bookcase though - genuinely fantastic! I always love the way that you emphasise having a first edition. Because the one thing you really want in that sort of book is for it to be 20 odd years out of date :-)

What's that expression? Oh yes, all the gear, no idea ...
Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 18:40 - Nov 16 with 865 viewslondonlisa2001

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 18:44 - Nov 16 with 855 viewsShaky

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 18:39 - Nov 16 by londonlisa2001

nope - still didn't say that however many times you say so.

The bookcase though - genuinely fantastic! I always love the way that you emphasise having a first edition. Because the one thing you really want in that sort of book is for it to be 20 odd years out of date :-)

What's that expression? Oh yes, all the gear, no idea ...

I think you are a little confused. It was in fact one of your chief cheerleaders monmouth who pointed out you dropped the baby on the head again when you said:

"The whole notion of EBITDA . . .is a very simple example of the move to cash measures"

Misology -- It's a bitch

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 18:54 - Nov 16 with 832 viewslondonlisa2001

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 18:44 - Nov 16 by Shaky

I think you are a little confused. It was in fact one of your chief cheerleaders monmouth who pointed out you dropped the baby on the head again when you said:

"The whole notion of EBITDA . . .is a very simple example of the move to cash measures"

nope

'move to' is the operative phrase. It is a move towards cash as it strips out 2 of the most commonly variable 'noncash' items in the P&L account.

It's like saying I'm in London and I'm driving to Swansea. Doesn't mean I'm there, just means I've moved in that direction.

Happy to help you though in your ability to understand basic English.
Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 18:58 - Nov 16 with 815 viewsShaky

Could SCFC buy The Liberty Stadium outright? on 18:54 - Nov 16 by londonlisa2001

nope

'move to' is the operative phrase. It is a move towards cash as it strips out 2 of the most commonly variable 'noncash' items in the P&L account.

It's like saying I'm in London and I'm driving to Swansea. Doesn't mean I'm there, just means I've moved in that direction.

Happy to help you though in your ability to understand basic English.

I think I understand what you are trying to say "The whole notion of London is like Swansea"

Gotcha.

Misology -- It's a bitch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024