Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. 20:27 - Nov 21 with 1882 viewsicecoldjack

What a fookin' joke this one is, turns out DC Comics then discovered Valencia was started in 1919, years before the creation of Batman !!

I hope to fook Valencia sue DC Comics for stealing its logo !! lol

" The publisher, which owns the rights to Batman, was in particular unhappy with the team’s use of the bat on its badge, which it felt was synonymous with the caped-crusader.

The lawsuit was filed to the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM), the trademark office of the European Union.

DC Comics has hit a stumbling point with its claim however on the realisation that the football team was formed in 1919, before the creation of Batman, while the bat also has made an appearance on the city of Valencia’s coat of arms."

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2014/11/21/dc-comics-launches-batty-lawsuit-against-
DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 20:32 - Nov 21 with 1859 viewsairedale

This is a good example of 'You couldn't make it up'

Perhaps it'll rumble on like Apple vs Apple.
DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 21:11 - Nov 21 with 1779 viewsQuakerJack

I'm not sure how far it went, but I think there was something years ago regarding what is now Glandwr uni in Wrexham, formerly NEWI, that was originally named Yale University after the feller who founded the famous Yale Uni in America.

Apparently, Yale USA threatened to take it further, whether that was legal action or whatever, against Yale NW unless they changed their name, not realising that the founder of their illustrious institute originated in Wrexham and is even buried there.

I heard this years ago from someone who worked there, haven't had it verified but that wouldn't surprise me with them yanks.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 21:13 - Nov 21 with 1776 viewsicecoldjack

Im sure DC Comics arn't short of cash either, you would think they would look at basic things like who was using the bat logo first etc,etc.

It's just pure greed, corporates screwing every avenue for cash once again, the divide between rich and poor gets wider every day etc,etc.

I'd love it if Valencia could make some sort of counter claim.
DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 21:20 - Nov 21 with 1762 viewsicecoldjack

DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 21:11 - Nov 21 by QuakerJack

I'm not sure how far it went, but I think there was something years ago regarding what is now Glandwr uni in Wrexham, formerly NEWI, that was originally named Yale University after the feller who founded the famous Yale Uni in America.

Apparently, Yale USA threatened to take it further, whether that was legal action or whatever, against Yale NW unless they changed their name, not realising that the founder of their illustrious institute originated in Wrexham and is even buried there.

I heard this years ago from someone who worked there, haven't had it verified but that wouldn't surprise me with them yanks.

That sounds like something the yanks would do, forgetting that half the places in their own country are named after British places etc !

But did the Uni in North wales then change its name because of the legal threat , hence why its now called Glandwr ?

Corps and big buisness believe they own the the whole fooking world these days, no thought for people only for profit . scary times.
DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 21:56 - Nov 21 with 1704 viewsphact0rri

In the states our Copyright laws feed directly into the court system coffers. we have this rule where you have to defend your claim to a trademark or copyright or you can/will lose it.

Its why we have a lot of these ridiculous cases that hit the media. DC/Warners have to look like their protecting their interests. Even if the branding isn't anywhere near complicit and the case will not stand.

There are some great ones that come out from time to time. like the time Game Dev bethesda (elderscrolls/fallout/dishonoured) tried to sue Mojang (Minecraft) for the use of the word "scrolls" in their upcoming game titled 'scrolls'.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 22:08 - Nov 21 with 1669 viewsfelixstowe_jack

DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 21:11 - Nov 21 by QuakerJack

Not quite the founder but near enough

Elihu Yale (5 April 1649 — 8 July 1721) was a Welsh merchant and philanthropist, Governor of the East India Company settlement in Fort St. George, at Madras and a benefactor of the Collegiate School in the Colony of Connecticut, which in 1718 was renamed Yale College in his honor.[1]

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 22:11 - Nov 21 with 1664 viewsicecoldjack

DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 21:56 - Nov 21 by phact0rri

In the states our Copyright laws feed directly into the court system coffers. we have this rule where you have to defend your claim to a trademark or copyright or you can/will lose it.

Its why we have a lot of these ridiculous cases that hit the media. DC/Warners have to look like their protecting their interests. Even if the branding isn't anywhere near complicit and the case will not stand.

There are some great ones that come out from time to time. like the time Game Dev bethesda (elderscrolls/fallout/dishonoured) tried to sue Mojang (Minecraft) for the use of the word "scrolls" in their upcoming game titled 'scrolls'.

Nice earner for the law firms then!

What a crazy world we live in !
DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 22:16 - Nov 21 with 1647 viewsQuakerJack

DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 21:20 - Nov 21 by icecoldjack

That sounds like something the yanks would do, forgetting that half the places in their own country are named after British places etc !

But did the Uni in North wales then change its name because of the legal threat , hence why its now called Glandwr ?

Corps and big buisness believe they own the the whole fooking world these days, no thought for people only for profit . scary times.

Well between them it was called North East Wales Institute (NEWI), but from what I understand, yes... the A level college is still called Yale I believe and of course one of their stands at the Racecourse is called the Yale Stand.

You're right though, that's the Yanks all over.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Login to get fewer ads

DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 22:18 - Nov 21 with 1642 viewsWxmJax

DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 21:20 - Nov 21 by icecoldjack

Elihu Yale was actually American (born in Boston) but is buried in Wrexham, his ancestry could be traced locally back to the 1300's. I believe that the new university in Wrexham was issued/warned about court action if they called the new university anything with the name Yale. Yale was the 6th form college in Wrexham from at least the 1970's, I can remember playing against them in a previous life.

You'd have thought that they had a good case but money talks, so to speak.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 22:21 - Nov 21 with 1632 viewsDewi1jack

DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 21:13 - Nov 21 by icecoldjack

Im sure DC Comics arn't short of cash either, you would think they would look at basic things like who was using the bat logo first etc,etc.

It's just pure greed, corporates screwing every avenue for cash once again, the divide between rich and poor gets wider every day etc,etc.

I'd love it if Valencia could make some sort of counter claim.

Wouldn't it just.

"I'd love it if Valencia could make some sort of counter claim."
Take all the money DC comics have pocketed for the Batman series and the film companies have made from the Batman films.
That should make Valencia pretty cash rich for a while.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 23:06 - Nov 21 with 1569 viewsUxbridge

Posh Spice will be happy. Her suing Peterborough now doesn't look so stupid.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 11:13 - Nov 22 with 1392 viewsQuakerJack

DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 22:18 - Nov 21 by WxmJax

Elihu Yale was actually American (born in Boston) but is buried in Wrexham, his ancestry could be traced locally back to the 1300's. I believe that the new university in Wrexham was issued/warned about court action if they called the new university anything with the name Yale. Yale was the 6th form college in Wrexham from at least the 1970's, I can remember playing against them in a previous life.

I'm sure it was called Yale previously and was asked to change it (kindly or get sued)... I was told it pre dates the US college? That might be wrong mind.

DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 11:19 - Nov 22 with 1378 viewsQuakerJack

DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 22:18 - Nov 21 by WxmJax

Wasn't Samuel Ellis from Wrexham? The feller who Ellis Island was name after?

DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 20:43 - Nov 25 with 1192 viewsGlyn1

"Valencia ditch new logo after opposition from Batman publishers".

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/25/valenica-logo-batman-dc-comics
[Post edited 25 Nov 2014 20:45]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 20:55 - Nov 25 with 1164 viewsicecoldjack

That's a bit mad i have t say.

As i understand it its to do with a new logo being similar to the batman logo from dc comics, but dc comics have had about 20 different designs of the bat !

Valencia should maybe grow some balls on this one.
DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 20:58 - Nov 25 with 1159 viewsThursday

DC Comics sue Valencia FC over logo. on 21:56 - Nov 21 by phact0rri

Nice to see a realistic response. DC Comics probably have no interest in Valencia FC or what they do with the bat. But, they need to go through the motions to protect their interests.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024