Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? 22:30 - Nov 21 with 1774 viewsbonymine

Was he just lucky here and in 'the right place at the right time' to inherit a quality squad in the Championship which won promotion to the PL and had a great first season there ?

Or is he genuinely a quality manager who despite limited experience as Academy Director at Chelsea then Manager at Reading and Watford quickly rose through the ranks to become Liverpool boss who almost won the PL last year ?

No doubt he is a truly nice guy having met him on a few occasions but has he 'bitten off more than he can chew' at Liverpool where the expectation level is sky high compared to Swansea.? Also come in for some flack about the quality of his back room team and as much as I like Pasc having seen him make his debut for the Swans against Brighton as a 17 year old he surely does not possess the demanding attributes required to be Assistant Manager at Liverpool ? (Wait for a barrage of abuse from Baglan !!).

Lots to discuss here ladies and gents look forward to reading your thoughts/comments.

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 22:39 - Nov 21 with 1475 viewsDr_Winston

Neither.

He is a very good coach who added what he needed to a strong squad and delivered only the second promotion to the top flight in our history. Then against all the odds he kept us there. That's not "lucky" by any stretch (although better use of an AM would probably have seen us go up automatically).

Whilst it's true that he's not as good a coach as he thinks he is, and would probably have benefitted from a couple more years of experience under less pressure before taking a job like the Scousers, his achievements with us cannot be denied.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2014 22:43]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 22:41 - Nov 21 with 1468 viewsJoe_bradshaw

He inherited a decent squad but the addition of Sinclair was a massive factor then getting Borini in clinched the deal.

Keeping us up with the squad that we had in our first PL season with 47 points (still our best) was a fantastic achievement.

Much, much more than luck.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 22:43 - Nov 21 with 1460 viewsDarran

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 22:39 - Nov 21 by Dr_Winston

Neither.

He is a very good coach who added what he needed to a strong squad and delivered only the second promotion to the top flight in our history. Then against all the odds he kept us there. That's not "lucky" by any stretch (although better use of an AM would probably have seen us go up automatically).

Whilst it's true that he's not as good a coach as he thinks he is, and would probably have benefitted from a couple more years of experience under less pressure before taking a job like the Scousers, his achievements with us cannot be denied.

I agree.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 22:50 - Nov 21 with 1432 viewslonglostjack

It's small margins with managers. I think Brendan has the man management skills and the tactical know how but will he be given time at Liverpool? I doubt it. Sure he's been lucky too - took on a good team with us and had Suarez up there in his first season. Is he currently on a par with Wengner? I'd say so - but there again so is our very own Gary Monk.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 23:00 - Nov 21 with 1400 viewsbonymine

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 22:50 - Nov 21 by longlostjack

It's small margins with managers. I think Brendan has the man management skills and the tactical know how but will he be given time at Liverpool? I doubt it. Sure he's been lucky too - took on a good team with us and had Suarez up there in his first season. Is he currently on a par with Wengner? I'd say so - but there again so is our very own Gary Monk.

Agreed - I think Brendan is a good manager but to compare him to Wenger with his 20+ years at Arsenal, the Invincibles season unbeaten and the consecutive years Champions League qualification is a wee bit premature.

The sign of greatness is managing through adversity - be interesting to see how things work out by the season end.

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 23:01 - Nov 21 with 1396 viewssnork44

Rodgers went to the wrong team plain and simple. He was more suited to Spurs or Arsenal, but got impatient as a result went to Liverpool before 'arry got the sack.

Premier Snork now watching from the USA
Poll: What do you prefer on Planet Swans after a game?

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 23:01 - Nov 21 with 1394 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

He's a man manager genius that's no doubt , gets the best out of people .
As do all great people managers in any profession.

Football genius ?

He's on a slide and it's down hill all the way .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 23:07 - Nov 21 with 1380 viewsKilkennyjack

This sounds fun - how about doing the same for other people who relatively recently left our club or were sacked or left by that rather unlikely old favourite 'mutual consent'- so say ...... Tony Pennock .....- the single handed founder of the famous Swansea Way, or simply a man who hated winning youth games and upsetting the other clubs.

Beware of the Risen People

Login to get fewer ads

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 23:16 - Nov 21 with 1355 viewsbonymine

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 23:07 - Nov 21 by Kilkennyjack

This sounds fun - how about doing the same for other people who relatively recently left our club or were sacked or left by that rather unlikely old favourite 'mutual consent'- so say ...... Tony Pennock .....- the single handed founder of the famous Swansea Way, or simply a man who hated winning youth games and upsetting the other clubs.

I have the utmost respect for Tony Pennock he signed my son for the Swans when Cardiff had put an offer on the table.

At the time The CoE was underfunded and playing matches at the Elba but Tony always gave 100% and along with Tony Avo really laid the foundationa for where we are today.......

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 23:19 - Nov 21 with 1341 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

What has tony pennock got to do with Brendan Rodgers ?

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 23:31 - Nov 21 with 1315 viewsbonymine

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 23:19 - Nov 21 by oh_tommy_tommy

What has tony pennock got to do with Brendan Rodgers ?

Please see above Post !!

Just answering the question mate sorry if offended you...

Rodgers is still the main man not Pennock............c

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 01:28 - Nov 22 with 1224 viewsMrSwan

he was good but the way Monk is going looks like he could be better.

Poll: Do you rate Shelvey?

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 08:35 - Nov 22 with 1027 viewsWhiterockin

Excellent manager going forward, just cant set up a team to defend properly.
Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 08:51 - Nov 22 with 1014 viewsdgt73

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 22:39 - Nov 21 by Dr_Winston

Neither.

That doesn't tell the full picture im afraid. Yes he did a fantastic job at Swansea, especially getting us promoted, by bringing in sinclair, Borini etc, but that team we had then was just as good as any other team in the championship with the likes of ddv, monk, Rangel, dobbie, dyer, Taylor and Britton when he came back. IMO he was in the right place at the right time.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 09:04 - Nov 22 with 987 viewsmonmouth

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 23:00 - Nov 21 by bonymine

Agreed - I think Brendan is a good manager but to compare him to Wenger with his 20+ years at Arsenal, the Invincibles season unbeaten and the consecutive years Champions League qualification is a wee bit premature.

The sign of greatness is managing through adversity - be interesting to see how things work out by the season end.

Managing per ardua ad astra?

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 09:12 - Nov 22 with 973 viewsDr_Winston

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 08:51 - Nov 22 by dgt73

That doesn't tell the full picture im afraid. Yes he did a fantastic job at Swansea, especially getting us promoted, by bringing in sinclair, Borini etc, but that team we had then was just as good as any other team in the championship with the likes of ddv, monk, Rangel, dobbie, dyer, Taylor and Britton when he came back. IMO he was in the right place at the right time.

So, in pointing out that my post apparently doesn't tell the full story you completely ignore the first season in the Premier League?

Delicious irony.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 09:20 - Nov 22 with 953 viewsdgt73

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 09:12 - Nov 22 by Dr_Winston

So, in pointing out that my post apparently doesn't tell the full story you completely ignore the first season in the Premier League?

Delicious irony.

He did a very good job no doubt, but i still believe he was in the right place at the right time. Even at Liverpool he was blessed by having LS in his side, now he's gone to Barcelona surprise, surprise (well not to me) they are not as effective as last season, i wonder why.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 09:27 - Nov 22 with 935 viewsDr_Winston

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 09:20 - Nov 22 by dgt73

He did a very good job no doubt, but i still believe he was in the right place at the right time. Even at Liverpool he was blessed by having LS in his side, now he's gone to Barcelona surprise, surprise (well not to me) they are not as effective as last season, i wonder why.

So he did a good job, but he was also lucky.

Riiiiight.

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 09:36 - Nov 22 with 915 viewsNeiltheTaylor

I think he has shown to be a bit tactically inflexible

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 10:16 - Nov 22 with 858 viewspencoedjack

Neither.

My head agrees

My heart think he is a slimy tw@t.

Hope he gets the sack soon .....
Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 10:24 - Nov 22 with 837 viewssomersetsimon

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 08:51 - Nov 22 by dgt73

He was certainly a good man manager and persuaded players he'd worked with previous to come to us and play for him. I have doubts tactically as he didn't change the way were already playing and he didn't ever come up with an alternative plan at any point.
Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 10:25 - Nov 22 with 834 viewsDr_Winston

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 10:16 - Nov 22 by pencoedjack

My head agrees

My heart think he is a slimy tw@t.

Hope he gets the sack soon .....

No doubt he is far too fond of saying what people want to hear instead of the truth. Martinez was the same. Lots of people lap that shit up.

I will say in his defence that he made no secret of his ambition, and did sign an extended deal with a greatly increased release clause even though he had to have a good idea that he'd be off just a couple of months later.

His conduct was positively Saintly compared to the Greaseball.

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 10:39 - Nov 22 with 796 viewspencoedjack

Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 10:25 - Nov 22 by Dr_Winston

No doubt he is far too fond of saying what people want to hear instead of the truth. Martinez was the same. Lots of people lap that shit up.

I will say in his defence that he made no secret of his ambition, and did sign an extended deal with a greatly increased release clause even though he had to have a good idea that he'd be off just a couple of months later.

His conduct was positively Saintly compared to the Greaseball.

I know Doc ....

Your a far more forgiving type than me.

Any bloke who has a massive self portrait in his pad should never be trusted.

Can see him getting the boot and Gerrard given some management role pretty soon.

I live in hope.
Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 11:05 - Nov 22 with 761 viewsheadcleaner

I think with good foundations he can and knows how to do a decent enough job but lacks experience for a start. We had good foundations and his additions weren't luck. Liverpool as you'd expect also have good foundations and he also had suarez his signings seem to have gone a little south at the moment but maybe over the season they will stabilize and he will manage top six or seven which isn't too shabby but I fear not good enough.

Now on the other side to balance this out Watford he didn't have good foundations and was a tragic flop (in his defence he wasn't really given very long). Reading, again he didn't have good foundations and we again know what happened there so lucky or skilful a bit of both really and God knows managers need both.

I'd happily take a lucky manager here who won the FA Cup or League cup and one who got us to luckily finish top 10 over someone with much skill who takes us down.
Brendan Rodgers - The Lucky One or The Great One ?? on 12:16 - Nov 22 with 709 viewsDafyddHuw

Move on, is it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024