Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ben Davies starts for Spurs 15:22 - Nov 23 with 3145 viewsParlay

Many were hoping for a January loan deal. A good performance today and that may be a dead in the water possibility.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 18:13 - Nov 23 with 988 viewsWhiterockin

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 17:43 - Nov 23 by ApeShit

So you totally fabricated it, apart from one or two people I've never heard of anyone saying that at the Liberty or in the pubs.

I thought that Davies was asked the question on Sport Wales last week.
Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 18:15 - Nov 23 with 970 viewsApeShit

And?
Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 18:20 - Nov 23 with 944 viewsymaohyd

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 17:32 - Nov 23 by lifelong

Well I was one of the 'nutters' who was sorry to see Ben Davies go.

I thought he played very well for us.

He did play very well for us and along with Joe Allen has been the shining beacons of our youth set up. However, that doesn't excuse some of the posters on here going into melt down at the time of selling him. Obviously that was their opinion, fair enough, however it seemed pretty obvious at the time and obviously now that it was a blinding deal for the Swans.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 20:52 - Nov 23 with 819 viewsParlay

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 18:13 - Nov 23 by Whiterockin

I thought that Davies was asked the question on Sport Wales last week.

I wouldn't bother reasoning with him, last time he was addressed as spouting rubbish he replied with "lol shut up" i imagine this may end up the same.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 21:13 - Nov 23 with 775 viewsC_jack

Would kill some to see him do well.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 23:02 - Nov 23 with 698 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Spurs were apparently touting Bale around trying to offload for £5M at one point, so there's time for him yet

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 23:16 - Nov 23 with 683 viewsC_jack

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 23:02 - Nov 23 by NeiltheTaylor

Spurs were apparently touting Bale around trying to offload for £5M at one point, so there's time for him yet

£3m

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2285850/Gareth-Bale-offered-We

Was talking to a Spurs fan, and he said their youth development strategy is often to gamble on promising youth players, and hope they flourish . Some times you get a Chris Gunter, some times you get a Gareth Bale.

They've got Townsend and Kane around the team at the moment, but before that I think the last prominent player would be Peter Crouch, and that was around 14 years ago.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2014 23:22]

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 23:20 - Nov 23 with 675 viewsNeiltheTaylor

I'd say Bale was more of a Southampton academy product, I think he transferred in much the same way Davies has.

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Login to get fewer ads

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 23:29 - Nov 23 with 663 viewsKilkennyjack

I think ben is a top class player who will do well at spurs. No need to worry on that score. Put it this way - he must be a good plAyer to get through what has been a shambolic youth set up at swansea since the brilliant Joey broke through under Roberto in 2007. Well done Ben, you have earned everything that you get. No wonder Huw had to act a year ago to try to sort it all out.

Beware of the Risen People

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 02:15 - Nov 24 with 606 viewsdameedna

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 18:15 - Nov 23 by ApeShit

And?

A lot of people did and still do think Davies should be at the club.
I can think of some reasons for that.
Personally would like to have kept him and Allen but but we have used the dosh to strengthen the core of the team and what looks like some real attacking threat on the wings.
Fact is we don't spend that sort of money on defenders and midfielders... yet.
We will wait until they are cheaper and not playing regularly.
Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 07:24 - Nov 24 with 557 viewsjacksinceever

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 16:00 - Nov 23 by londonlisa2001

I don't think Davies is the answer - I didn't last season and I don't this.

Would like to see us go out and get two good full backs. One to genuinely challenge / replace Taylor and one to start to cover for an ageing Rangel (who has been a wonderful full back but is getting much slower).

Btw - I can't see why someone that would have a bad performance for Spurs would in general be someone we should aspire to.

Yeh. So glad we never went back for that Gylfi character .....
Oops ...
Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 10:38 - Nov 24 with 505 viewsCatullus

People did want Ben back, it was said on here and I heard people talking about it in the pub too.
I didn't notice Parlay backtrack, it was a reasoned response, not a backtrack.

And I don't see why Ben couldn't come back and do better for us than for Spurs. Lets face it, we've made a habit out of picking up unwanted, underperforming players and getting the best out of them. Gylfi being the latest, But Montero, Routledge and several others were considered as not living up to their promise, then they came here. Hopefully Montero will shine for us like the others have.

Anyway, I thought Ben only started because Spurs had 3 other full backs out?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 12:21 - Nov 24 with 468 viewsC_jack

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 16:00 - Nov 23 by londonlisa2001

I don't think Davies is the answer - I didn't last season and I don't this.

Would like to see us go out and get two good full backs. One to genuinely challenge / replace Taylor and one to start to cover for an ageing Rangel (who has been a wonderful full back but is getting much slower).

Btw - I can't see why someone that would have a bad performance for Spurs would in general be someone we should aspire to.

So we shouldn't have aspired to someone like Gylfi Siggurdsson then?

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 13:12 - Nov 24 with 433 viewslondonlisa2001

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 07:24 - Nov 24 by jacksinceever

Yeh. So glad we never went back for that Gylfi character .....
Oops ...

'would in general' is operative.

Gylfi didn't play badly for Spurs, he played out of position as a much wider midfielder and they hardly ever played him where we play him because of other players that they had / have in midfield.

Ben Davies plays at exactly the same position for Spurs as he did / would for us. That's the key difference.

Players work in our team that don't work in other teams in midfield because we play differently. At the back, not so much. A player that hasn't worked out for another team and is a centre back / full back is much less likely to be picked up. think about all the so called 'misfits' that we all think play well in our team and haven't done so elsewhere. Routledge, Dyer, Leon etc. How many of them are defenders? That doesn't mean we can't spot a good talent and nurture them to work for us - Angel / Ash for example.
Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 13:18 - Nov 24 with 424 viewsLeonisGod

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 13:12 - Nov 24 by londonlisa2001

Gylfi didn't play badly for Spurs, he played out of position as a much wider midfielder and they hardly ever played him where we play him because of other players that they had / have in midfield.

Ben Davies plays at exactly the same position for Spurs as he did / would for us. That's the key difference.

Players work in our team that don't work in other teams in midfield because we play differently. At the back, not so much. A player that hasn't worked out for another team and is a centre back / full back is much less likely to be picked up. think about all the so called 'misfits' that we all think play well in our team and haven't done so elsewhere. Routledge, Dyer, Leon etc. How many of them are defenders? That doesn't mean we can't spot a good talent and nurture them to work for us - Angel / Ash for example.

Agree with that, other than the distinction between defenders and the rest of the team. Our style of play and approach to the game affects them all, not just the midfield/forwards. I think we get the best out of players because of high team ethic, whatever position they play in. For example, Caulker and Bartley are 2 defenders you could have mentioned. And then who'd have thought a signing from Wrexham could slot into the prem (and have a great first season) pretty much straight away. We seem to make players wherever they play.
Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 13:31 - Nov 24 with 402 viewslondonlisa2001

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 12:21 - Nov 24 by C_jack

So we shouldn't have aspired to someone like Gylfi Siggurdsson then?

I've already explained the difference as I see it.

You appear to think that people that don't particularly rate Ben Davies in some way 'want him to fail' etc. That's just not the case (certainly for me). I have, however, as much interest in Ben Davies doing well as in any other Spurs player doing well - I don't care, with the caveat that I would like to see Welsh players playing rather than sat on the bench.

When players no longer play for us, I have to admit that I don't much mind whether they play brilliantly or appallingly. I have never been one that revels in the failure of our players / managers if they leave (I don't care what Roberto / Brendan do for example) nor do I revel in their successes.

I genuinely don't understand why people care much one way or another. You seem to be desperate for Davies to do well - that's great, but I don't understand why (unless of course you know him which is perfectly possible, in which case, of course I understand that). To me, this whole 'he's moved to a so called big club, let's hope that he becomes a star' just smacks of too little aspiration for us as a club. We are no longer a small team looking up at these 'big clubs' - we are competing with them on a completely equal footing (on the field) so why on earth would any of us think that one of our players moving on to them is something to be proud of?

And on the subject of Davies - your point about Spurs buying youth is not relevant - they didn't buy him as a 'Modou Barrow' type player - let's see how he goes. They bought him for the first team and so far he hasn't managed to break into it (he played yesterday because Spurs had a number of injuries).

I thought he was poor in the first half (in much the same way as I thought he was poor for us last year - not strong enough, out of position a few times, failing to stop crosses and not quick enough to get back) and picked up in the second half, although partly that was because he was on the front foot once Hull lost a player.

I think he is a perfectly decent player, but that's about it. As I said last season, I was one of those that always believed him to be a weak link, a view that I know wasn't shared universally or indeed by many at all. Just my view though. Do I think Taylor is better? No, not this year (he was when he was first with us). Same problems really with him which is why I think we need another left back.

But, in my opinion, Ben Davies is not good enough to be that left back. Even if you argue he's better than what we have, that's fine, but he's not as good as we can get.
Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 13:38 - Nov 24 with 397 viewsC_jack

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 13:12 - Nov 24 by londonlisa2001

If he had played well in whatever position, they would have kept him. The modern outfield player is required to be versatile in more than one position.

Dyer/Leon were not 'misfits'. Leon came here at age 20 having never played a professional game, going into a team that couldn't resemble anything further from what it is now. Dyer had performed well at Southampton but had lost his way, off the pitch.

I think you're putting too much emphasis on how 'different' our team is. Kyle Bartley hasn't really performed anywhere at this level, yet we picked him up, of which we're recently relieved about.

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 13:41 - Nov 24 with 394 viewslondonlisa2001

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 13:18 - Nov 24 by LeonisGod

Agree with that, other than the distinction between defenders and the rest of the team. Our style of play and approach to the game affects them all, not just the midfield/forwards. I think we get the best out of players because of high team ethic, whatever position they play in. For example, Caulker and Bartley are 2 defenders you could have mentioned. And then who'd have thought a signing from Wrexham could slot into the prem (and have a great first season) pretty much straight away. We seem to make players wherever they play.

I am not certain I would class Bartley and Caulker as 'misfits' in another team though - they were just young players. Same for Taylor.

I think Bartley would actually have done very well at Arsenal if he'd stayed there. I think he's a good centre back with a bit of class about him. Caulker seems to have gone backwards, although I'm not sure if that's related to him apparently not being as focused as he could be off the field? Interesting that we chose not to get him back when we could have done.

I think we are good at spotting talent - Barrow being the latest example. That's not quite the same thing for me.
Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 13:45 - Nov 24 with 383 viewsC_jack

If Spurs had bought Davies to go into their first team, he would have gone in, immediately, not in November. That's what you buy someone for the first team, is it not? Why would they buy a player to go straight in, and then decide in training that he wasn't good enough? Bit of a risky strategy.

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 13:47 - Nov 24 with 381 viewslondonlisa2001

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 13:38 - Nov 24 by C_jack

If he had played well in whatever position, they would have kept him. The modern outfield player is required to be versatile in more than one position.

Dyer/Leon were not 'misfits'. Leon came here at age 20 having never played a professional game, going into a team that couldn't resemble anything further from what it is now. Dyer had performed well at Southampton but had lost his way, off the pitch.

I think you're putting too much emphasis on how 'different' our team is. Kyle Bartley hasn't really performed anywhere at this level, yet we picked him up, of which we're recently relieved about.

He's not all that versatile though. He is simply exceptional where we play him, but wider gets lost completely (remember that famous friendly that cause the 30 page meltdown on here).

I was talking about Leon coming back from Sheffield Utd not originally. Have already talked about Bartley.

Our team is different in midfield because we play (now - sot so much last year) in the way we did under Roberto / Rodgers - a very high tempo pressing game with quick movement and short, snappy passes with our midfielders constantly moving to create space and angles when we have the ball and swarming when we don't. Very different to the way that some other teams play, where they need much stronger, more resilient, probably bigger, midfielders.
Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 14:01 - Nov 24 with 360 viewslondonlisa2001

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 13:45 - Nov 24 by C_jack

If Spurs had bought Davies to go into their first team, he would have gone in, immediately, not in November. That's what you buy someone for the first team, is it not? Why would they buy a player to go straight in, and then decide in training that he wasn't good enough? Bit of a risky strategy.

I think that what you described is exactly what happened. They bought him for their first team and decided in training / preseason / Europa games that he wasn't ready (or at least wasn't better than Rose) hence the quick new contract for Rose soon afterwards.

Spurs are not in the habit of spending that sort of money for players that they are not putting straight into their first team squad. Hence why Davies himself is not happy (or so he said last week).

btw - if they did buy him as a development player, then other than money, it makes it even more strange that he was so anxious to go there. He's not playing, has lost his international place and is, on whatever criteria you choose other than salary, in a worse position now career wise than he would have been if he'd stayed. Be interesting to see what happens when their so called 'first choice' full backs are back from injury because unless he gets a run in the team, I wouldn't be surprised to see him being loaned out in January (although as I said, I hope not to us).
Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 14:03 - Nov 24 with 359 viewsC_jack

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 13:47 - Nov 24 by londonlisa2001

He's not all that versatile though. He is simply exceptional where we play him, but wider gets lost completely (remember that famous friendly that cause the 30 page meltdown on here).

I was talking about Leon coming back from Sheffield Utd not originally. Have already talked about Bartley.

Our team is different in midfield because we play (now - sot so much last year) in the way we did under Roberto / Rodgers - a very high tempo pressing game with quick movement and short, snappy passes with our midfielders constantly moving to create space and angles when we have the ball and swarming when we don't. Very different to the way that some other teams play, where they need much stronger, more resilient, probably bigger, midfielders.

Not too different at all, Spurs , Arsenal, Everton and WBA are very similar in their approach.

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 14:06 - Nov 24 with 352 viewslondonlisa2001

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 14:03 - Nov 24 by C_jack

Not too different at all, Spurs , Arsenal, Everton and WBA are very similar in their approach.

I'm not saying we are unique!

Certain players fit us when they wouldn't elsewhere, others it's the other way round. Don't understand the argument to be honest?
Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 14:06 - Nov 24 with 352 viewsFlashberryjack

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 17:32 - Nov 23 by lifelong

Well I was one of the 'nutters' who was sorry to see Ben Davies go.

I thought he played very well for us.

Seems there are a few nutters about....cos I was another that was sorry to see Ben go.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 14:15 - Nov 24 with 346 viewslondonlisa2001

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 14:06 - Nov 24 by Flashberryjack

Seems there are a few nutters about....cos I was another that was sorry to see Ben go.

I would think that most were sorry to see him go on the face of it. But given the choice between him and Gylfi, that becomes a different question.

I'm always (or usually) sorry to see players go, but would I swap back? Not a chance in hell.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024