Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ben Davies starts for Spurs 15:22 - Nov 23 with 3146 viewsParlay

Many were hoping for a January loan deal. A good performance today and that may be a dead in the water possibility.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 14:16 - Nov 24 with 382 viewsC_jack

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 14:01 - Nov 24 by londonlisa2001

I think that what you described is exactly what happened. They bought him for their first team and decided in training / preseason / Europa games that he wasn't ready (or at least wasn't better than Rose) hence the quick new contract for Rose soon afterwards.

Spurs are not in the habit of spending that sort of money for players that they are not putting straight into their first team squad. Hence why Davies himself is not happy (or so he said last week).

btw - if they did buy him as a development player, then other than money, it makes it even more strange that he was so anxious to go there. He's not playing, has lost his international place and is, on whatever criteria you choose other than salary, in a worse position now career wise than he would have been if he'd stayed. Be interesting to see what happens when their so called 'first choice' full backs are back from injury because unless he gets a run in the team, I wouldn't be surprised to see him being loaned out in January (although as I said, I hope not to us).

It's madness though. So much work goes into scouting, and signing a player that you don't plan your first team setup around them, only to decide when they arrive that they're not good enough. Someone would need shooting.

They are though, they've spent money on players that they know have more development.

Walker/Naughton - £9m
Siggurrdsson - £8m
Bale - £5m
Dier - £4m
Eriksen - £11m

Lamela - £25m! (club record) 9 games in the premier league last season. Doing very well now.

This is what they do. It's not beyond thinking that they would spend only £10m on a decent player with two years PL experience under his belt, when they've made longer punts on Championship prospects.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2014 14:17]

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 14:29 - Nov 24 with 356 viewslondonlisa2001

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 14:16 - Nov 24 by C_jack

It's madness though. So much work goes into scouting, and signing a player that you don't plan your first team setup around them, only to decide when they arrive that they're not good enough. Someone would need shooting.

They are though, they've spent money on players that they know have more development.

Walker/Naughton - £9m
Siggurrdsson - £8m
Bale - £5m
Dier - £4m
Eriksen - £11m

Lamela - £25m! (club record) 9 games in the premier league last season. Doing very well now.

This is what they do. It's not beyond thinking that they would spend only £10m on a decent player with two years PL experience under his belt, when they've made longer punts on Championship prospects.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2014 14:17]

oh come on. You've just included players that they absolutely bought for the first team and didn't work. Lamela being a case in point. And there are a lot of rumbles up here that there has been a big falling out between manager and scouting staff / the bloke responsible for signings because they didn't identify the right players and he's very unhappy about it (Pochettino that is).

Buying a player and them not working out (or taking some time to work out) is not the same as buying a development player. Nor is it the same as buying a younger player that they hope will get better.

Anyway - as I said, if that was always the understanding then Ben was very stupid indeed to go there - he would have developed a heck of a lot faster playing in the Premier League for us than sitting on their bench (or actually, a few times, not even sitting on their bench). Shows that it really is all about the money if that's the case. In which case, don't understand him moaning - if he knew what he was getting into he should shut up.
Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 14:42 - Nov 24 with 340 viewsFlashberryjack

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 14:15 - Nov 24 by londonlisa2001

I would think that most were sorry to see him go on the face of it. But given the choice between him and Gylfi, that becomes a different question.

I'm always (or usually) sorry to see players go, but would I swap back? Not a chance in hell.

Swap Gylfi for Ben ? Absolutely not

Swap Taylor for Ben ? Absolutely

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 14:48 - Nov 24 with 335 viewslondonlisa2001

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 14:42 - Nov 24 by Flashberryjack

Swap Gylfi for Ben ? Absolutely not

Swap Taylor for Ben ? Absolutely

that wasn't the choice though ...
Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 14:53 - Nov 24 with 325 viewsC_jack

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 14:29 - Nov 24 by londonlisa2001

oh come on. You've just included players that they absolutely bought for the first team and didn't work. Lamela being a case in point. And there are a lot of rumbles up here that there has been a big falling out between manager and scouting staff / the bloke responsible for signings because they didn't identify the right players and he's very unhappy about it (Pochettino that is).

Buying a player and them not working out (or taking some time to work out) is not the same as buying a development player. Nor is it the same as buying a younger player that they hope will get better.

Anyway - as I said, if that was always the understanding then Ben was very stupid indeed to go there - he would have developed a heck of a lot faster playing in the Premier League for us than sitting on their bench (or actually, a few times, not even sitting on their bench). Shows that it really is all about the money if that's the case. In which case, don't understand him moaning - if he knew what he was getting into he should shut up.

Lamela did not start a PL game until the end of October. They made an investment (and a rather big one) on a future prospect who was nowhere near ready for the first team.

"We are patient with him as we appreciate he is a player of huge potential and I will continue to pick the players that are best for the team." AVB

This is what they do. The evidence is clear.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2014 14:54]

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 15:08 - Nov 24 with 295 viewslondonlisa2001

Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 14:53 - Nov 24 by C_jack

Lamela did not start a PL game until the end of October. They made an investment (and a rather big one) on a future prospect who was nowhere near ready for the first team.

"We are patient with him as we appreciate he is a player of huge potential and I will continue to pick the players that are best for the team." AVB

This is what they do. The evidence is clear.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2014 14:54]

"Davies, 21, has signed a five-year contract at White Hart Lane and his arrival will increase the uncertainty over the future of England under-21 international Danny Rose, a target for Hull City.
Liverpool had seen a £8 million offer for Davies rejected last week but Spurs moved ahead of the Merseyside club with the offer of regular-first team football."

We can all copy things to suit what we're saying. This was from the Telegraph's main Spurs writer when Davies signed for them.

I am not saying he wasn't bought with an eye on the future because if his age, but make no mistake, Spurs thought he would start with Rose as a back-up or even moved on.

Anyway - it doesn't much matter. He's with them now and will thrive or otherwise. I still think we can get better. One thing that won't improve for him is his pace - he's not quick. If he's in the team when we play them, I'd put Barrow up against him - he'll kill him for speed.
Ben Davies starts for Spurs on 15:18 - Nov 24 with 288 viewsNOTRAC

If we look at the big name players who have left Swansea since we have been in the Premiership, they all have one thing in common, they have all struggled.
Sinclair and Graham have been abject failures.Davies is struggling, and only now is Jo Allen beginning to look like the quality player he was at Swansea.
Swansea has definitely had the knack of getting the best out of a player.They look for his strengths and play to them.
Three of these players went to much bigger clubs .In reality Sinclair never had a chance of breaking into the Man City set up.Jo Allen was treated as an outsider at Liverpool, rarely did he receive a pass from Gerrard for example,and Davies to date is struggling even to get into the first team.
Considering we have received somewhere in the region of £35m for these four players, there is only one team that has benefited to date and that's obviously ourselves.
It is very likely that come January we will be under pressure to sell Bony.
Would he also find it difficult to enhance his career by leaving us.It could well be.
There were many occasions in his early days at Swansea where fans were wondering if he was money well spent.Would other teams have the patience that we've had .I don't think so.
They want an instant return,and that can force a player to lose confidence in himself.
This could well happen with Davies ,and it would be sad to think that he reached his peak at 21 years of age!

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024