Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did we need Fernandez? 13:51 - Nov 24 with 2907 viewsParlay

Seems a bit strange sat here wondering if we needed to sign a £10m rated first choice Argentine international but I genuinely am wondering.

Bartley looks such a good player, he really does. He is so composed on the ball and very classy with a huge streak of grit throughout and also makes Ash look small when stood together. Amat is similar in terms if composure and grit and did so well at the start of the season and very unlucky to lose his place. Can we keep all 4 center backs happy with regular game time?

Im a firm believer that the back 5 should stay as settled as possible with minimal chopping and changing so I hope Amat and Bartley have the squad mentality and nit get frustrated at the lack of opportunities with what seems like an automatic first choice duo in Ashley and Federico. Id hate to lose either of them.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Did we need Fernandez? on 13:56 - Nov 24 with 2602 viewsairedale

The mantra is to have 2 players for each position, so the numbers add up there at CB.

I reckon though that we may arguably have one of the best back 4 line-ups in the division.
Did we need Fernandez? on 14:03 - Nov 24 with 2562 viewsParlay

Did we need Fernandez? on 13:56 - Nov 24 by airedale

The mantra is to have 2 players for each position, so the numbers add up there at CB.

I reckon though that we may arguably have one of the best back 4 line-ups in the division.

I certainly believe so. Our set of 4 center backs rival anything anybody has in the Premier League.

Forum celebrity

Did we need Fernandez? on 15:04 - Nov 24 with 2444 viewsNeath_Jack

I had a similar conversation this morning with someone i work with, in that i would be equally happy with any 2 from our 4 CB's starting, and i also think that at least one of them will be pushing for a move away come the summer, wouldn't surprise me if two of them wanted away.

I said, along with 1 or 2 others on here, that Bartley could go as far as he wanted to in the game as long as he kept his head right. A fantastic old school type defender, no nonsense approach. Over the moon for the lad.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Did we need Fernandez? on 15:05 - Nov 24 with 2440 viewsswanduck

Did we need Fernandez? on 14:03 - Nov 24 by Parlay

I certainly believe so. Our set of 4 center backs rival anything anybody has in the Premier League.

Most handsome center backs in the league
Did we need Fernandez? on 15:44 - Nov 24 with 2336 viewsSkipTheJack

Fernandez is a great player, but with Bartley and Amat having so much potential I have always thought that we didn't really need to spend so much money on a centre half.

I suppose it's great to have so many options, but I fear that once Fernandez is fit then Bartley and Amat won't get the chance they need to develop. They both just need first team football at a high level, and could easily turn into £10m+ players themselves. Just look at how much Caulker improved with a season of first team football at the Liberty.
Did we need Fernandez? on 16:06 - Nov 24 with 2296 viewsJBT95

Did we need Fernandez? on 15:44 - Nov 24 by SkipTheJack

Fernandez is a great player, but with Bartley and Amat having so much potential I have always thought that we didn't really need to spend so much money on a centre half.

I suppose it's great to have so many options, but I fear that once Fernandez is fit then Bartley and Amat won't get the chance they need to develop. They both just need first team football at a high level, and could easily turn into £10m+ players themselves. Just look at how much Caulker improved with a season of first team football at the Liberty.

I said this on another thread and someone had a go at me.

I don't think we needed another CB myself, buying somebody who can play both CB & RB would have been more ideal.

I'm sure Gary knows what he is doing though.
Did we need Fernandez? on 16:38 - Nov 24 with 2215 viewsUxbridge

Given we were down to our last two CBs for a month or so, I think it's safe to say 4 is the bare minimum you need at this level.

Fernandez and Williams for me are our top two. Bartley is Williams' cover and Amat is Fernandez' I reckon.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Did we need Fernandez? on 16:54 - Nov 24 with 2165 viewsLeonisGod

Did we need Fernandez? on 16:38 - Nov 24 by Uxbridge

Given we were down to our last two CBs for a month or so, I think it's safe to say 4 is the bare minimum you need at this level.

Fernandez and Williams for me are our top two. Bartley is Williams' cover and Amat is Fernandez' I reckon.

Exactly. If not we'd have been playing Ki at centre half. CB is probably the only position where we are sorted and would be happy for anyone to come in and not particularly weaken us.
Login to get fewer ads

Did we need Fernandez? on 18:12 - Nov 24 with 2018 viewsSTEVE1

Most certainly needed we lost floris and Fernandez is a step up in my opinion
Did we need Fernandez? on 18:19 - Nov 24 with 1993 viewsSenhin

I thought he was 8m?

I'm sure Bony was something like £11.5 initially and as more and more threads were started that went up to nearly £15m.

I think we did. Him, Amat and Ash as 3 CB's that could possibly be first choices. Up until 2 weeks ago everyone hated Bartley. Now he's had a good game and an okay game and people are wondering why we bought another CB? If we had gone into this season with Ash & Amat as first choice and Bartley as the only back up people would have lost their minds.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

Did we need Fernandez? on 18:25 - Nov 24 with 1969 viewsblaine_scfc

Definitely needed Fernandez. Said it for a while, although many disagree on here, I think Amat will be edging towards a move back to Spain in the summer.
Did we need Fernandez? on 18:27 - Nov 24 with 1963 viewsRancid

One of the 3 will take Ash's place in time.Whether they will stick around long enough (probably 2 or 3) more season remains to be seen.A club like ours don't spend 8m for back up.Ash and Fernandez to start when both fit and I'm pretty sure with assurances that Bartley and Amat will hopefully stick around long enough to step into Ash's boots when he calls it a day.Could be a while yet though.
Did we need Fernandez? on 18:40 - Nov 24 with 1912 viewsItchySphincter

Chances are that if no one leaves then we'll have a first choice pair of centre backs for the next five years or more. Good business.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Did we need Fernandez? on 18:48 - Nov 24 with 1891 viewsswancity

Quite possibly one of the daftest ever questions asked on planetswans and there have been a few

Of course we needed him once Flores left. It shows how far our club have come when we can sign players of that quality. Amat and Bartley are also both fine prospects who are capable of doing well in the Prem league. Garry Monk knows a good centre half when he sees one that's for sure.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Did we need Fernandez? on 18:55 - Nov 24 with 1869 viewsSweyns_Eye

Bartley didn't get much of a run out last season, and if I recall correctly, not being helped by a terrible performance against Brum in the League Cup.

Following the established wisdom of having 4 centre halves in competition then I'd say yes we did need Fernandez. I'm still rather amazed we can sign someone of his pedigree.

"After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked". Hermann Goring, 1943.
Poll: How long do you think Monk will last managing Leeds?

Did we need Fernandez? on 18:57 - Nov 24 with 1861 viewsRancid

To be fair to the OP, Amat and Bartley weren't as assured as we thought they'd be when we signed Fernandez.Amat was playing well but Bartley was still untested on a regular basis.Either way, Monk is doing a fantastic job juggling the squad and easing our new signings in.Look at Montero, Monk deserves huge praise the way he's utilized him and our other wingers.The same could be said with Bony and Gomis.
Did we need Fernandez? on 19:07 - Nov 24 with 1827 viewsParlay

Did we need Fernandez? on 18:48 - Nov 24 by swancity

Quite possibly one of the daftest ever questions asked on planetswans and there have been a few

Of course we needed him once Flores left. It shows how far our club have come when we can sign players of that quality. Amat and Bartley are also both fine prospects who are capable of doing well in the Prem league. Garry Monk knows a good centre half when he sees one that's for sure.

Well then there are a lot of stupid people considering its been a decent talking point.

We didn't "need" him at all as we have Bartley and Amat, but we certainly strengthened our squad with his signing. Id say in terms of "need" then the likes of Fabianksi and Sigurdson were needed. Im not sure id put Fernandez in that bracket.

Forum celebrity

Did we need Fernandez? on 19:09 - Nov 24 with 1815 viewsParlay

Did we need Fernandez? on 18:19 - Nov 24 by Senhin

I thought he was 8m?

I'm sure Bony was something like £11.5 initially and as more and more threads were started that went up to nearly £15m.

I think we did. Him, Amat and Ash as 3 CB's that could possibly be first choices. Up until 2 weeks ago everyone hated Bartley. Now he's had a good game and an okay game and people are wondering why we bought another CB? If we had gone into this season with Ash & Amat as first choice and Bartley as the only back up people would have lost their minds.

It was £12m for Bony (in fact im sure it was actually a smidge over that), not seen anyone say it was £15m though.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/swansea-chairman-jenkins-bony-transfer-fe
[Post edited 24 Nov 2014 19:09]

Forum celebrity

Did we need Fernandez? on 19:38 - Nov 24 with 1708 viewsswancity

Did we need Fernandez? on 19:07 - Nov 24 by Parlay

Well then there are a lot of stupid people considering its been a decent talking point.

We didn't "need" him at all as we have Bartley and Amat, but we certainly strengthened our squad with his signing. Id say in terms of "need" then the likes of Fabianksi and Sigurdson were needed. Im not sure id put Fernandez in that bracket.

Thankfully you don't pick the players needed then. It's a given that four central defenders are required. Fernandez has improved the quality too. How much is open to debate but if its 2 , 3 or 5% that he has improved the team then he has been a good signing, apart from bolstering options that is.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Did we need Fernandez? on 19:52 - Nov 24 with 1675 viewsQuakerJack

We absolutely do need Fernández, for a start we need a strong squad. He's a starter when fit in my opinion.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Did we need Fernandez? on 20:12 - Nov 24 with 1617 viewsgrabsplatter

Yes, we definitely needed Fernandez.
Bartley has done well in the last couple of games but in the past he's played very little first team football & spent a big chunk of last season injured.
Did we need Fernandez? on 22:33 - Nov 24 with 1396 viewsshenleymun

Er, did anyone see the Villarreal game?

Thought that was the last I'd ever see of him in the first team he was so bad. And the 4-4-2 didn't give him the same excuse as those further forward.

However he now looks like a fair player and hopefully I will in time be denying that I ever thought he was anything but a superstar
[Post edited 24 Nov 2014 22:34]
Did we need Fernandez? on 23:15 - Nov 24 with 1329 viewsParlay

Did we need Fernandez? on 19:38 - Nov 24 by swancity

Thankfully you don't pick the players needed then. It's a given that four central defenders are required. Fernandez has improved the quality too. How much is open to debate but if its 2 , 3 or 5% that he has improved the team then he has been a good signing, apart from bolstering options that is.

Why thankfully? I haven't given you my version of the team have I? You ain't half a drama queen. I'm posing a question with clear arguments for both sides. Yes he has improved the squad as I've already mentioned.. however he has (some my say slightly) improved us in an area we were already strong in. The question wasn't "do we need 4 center backs" it was "did we need to sign Fernandez" so I suggest you understand the thread first, before contributing.

What's better? Improving an already strong position by 2-3% or improving a position we did need by 10%? Garry monk said prior to his signing that due to the budget we would have to be selective and only strengthen a few positions - so his signing probably put paid to the addition of a full back and/or a defensive midfielder or at least severely cut our options in that area resulting in us signing nobody.

I've not made up my mind whether we needed him or not - I'm just posing a question. Ive just taken the time to point out your ridiculous drama filled response, as i like to do when called for as you may have noticed.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2014 23:39]

Forum celebrity

Did we need Fernandez? on 05:02 - Nov 25 with 1196 viewsdameedna

We needed a Centre Half. Did we need Fernandez? Fernandez was unsettled, we took him, he is injury prone. He is the type of player who could win titles so no arguments from me. There are younger options around but we are Swansea City, we take what we can, when it is available and we work with it.
Did we need Fernandez? on 07:18 - Nov 25 with 1156 viewsZut_Alors

While both Amat and Bartley are solid enough to pair alongside Ash, I think the two of them as a pair would struggle to cope for a long period without suffering big dips in form. That's what it comes down to, IMO: you need a leader-like figure in your defence, and I think Garry would have recognised that if Ash was out for a long time, the club needed to bring in someone with experience.

Personally, I hope we do everything we can to keep Amat happy. He's going to be an excellent defender one day.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024