Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? 11:29 - Nov 25 with 7095 viewsSwansEvents

Hi folks. I am an events organiser and big Swans fan.

I went away to Man City last weekend and the difference was stark and they managed to create a real pre match buzz. I wish to contact the club to offer my services but am struggling to find an appropriate contact number or email address. Could anyone help me out in that respect?

I was very impressed with Man City and have been wanting us to do similar for years.

They had a section cordoned off where fans were invited to take up a position surrounding it. They had 2 "presenters" who were informing the crowd of how long until the team bus arrives, giving away man city prizes for correct answers to questions etc etc they had a resident DJ playing Manchunian songs like Oasis, Kasabian, happy mondays et al. They also had professional ball jugglers whose skill was sublime and truly did entertain the crowd.

The team bus arrived and it was a real event and the kids loved it, each player off the bus was cheered and announced by the presenters and they had a quick interview with Yaya Toure asking him about being nominated for African Player of the year etc. It was a real way of making it feel very fan orientated and the younger generation were absolutely enthralled. The team must arrive to every game anyway so why not make an event out of it? It really seemed an easy way to connect the fans to the ever increasingly distant superstars of the game.

Would people like to see us making the matchday experience more fan orientated? Or is everyone happy as things are? Just trying to get a feel of the general opinion.
Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 11:35 - Nov 25 with 3519 viewsClinton

Im too busy having a pre-match pint

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 11:49 - Nov 25 with 3488 viewsairedale

I go to my club before the match too.
Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 11:54 - Nov 25 with 3469 viewsSwansEvents

I think its aimed more at parents taking their kids, families or young teens to be honest, as opposed to dragging people away from the pub for it. Football has changed over the years and it is so much more a family affair these days.

Many of us have grown up with the club and in the lower leagues the fans feel very much a part of the club with contact from the players easy to achieve. In the Premier League era it is very different so kids supporting the Swans these days don't currently get that connection to the club that some of us did - thats my view anyway.

Very simple steps could improve our club/fan connection with very little cost at all. And its that feeling of connection to a club that gripped me as a youngster and havent looked back since.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2014 11:55]
Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 11:56 - Nov 25 with 3456 viewsLeonisGod

I wouldn't use anything like this, even when I bring the nipper. I go to see the footie, nothing else.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2014 11:56]
Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 12:22 - Nov 25 with 3400 viewsdulaisjack

players nowadays have not got the time to talk to fans, to busy doing other things, at the end of the day the kids are there to watch football not some circus acts, would be better having a marque put up, showing swans clips and all the fringe players could then talk to the fans and have pics etc taken
Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 12:34 - Nov 25 with 3375 viewsJBT95

Kasabian are from Leicester not Manchester!
Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 12:34 - Nov 25 with 3373 viewsscottishjack

Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 12:22 - Nov 25 by dulaisjack

players nowadays have not got the time to talk to fans, to busy doing other things, at the end of the day the kids are there to watch football not some circus acts, would be better having a marque put up, showing swans clips and all the fringe players could then talk to the fans and have pics etc taken

The Ospreys used to do something similar to what you are suggesting, inflatable interactive rugby games for the kids etc. Players not involved in the days match would be out and about, and a marquee with a bar and a band. I have no idea if they still do it, but it wasn't a bad idea.

Problem is, the Ospreys could set this up in the car park behind the West Stand because 9 times out of 10 the Liberty and it's car parks were half empty when they were playing.

To the OP, personally I'm not a fan of the way Man City run all that nonsense around the Etihad, but if they were to try something like this at the Liberty it would probably something more suited to those in the family stand? And maybe something to try if we get a home cup tie where there is a chance that more families will take up the chance of getting tickets... Plenty at the Rotherham COC game who seemed to be taking kids along to their first match etc.
Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 12:37 - Nov 25 with 3367 viewsSwansEvents

Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 12:22 - Nov 25 by dulaisjack

I disagree entirely, kids are there to watch their heroes and not necessarily just to watch footy for 90mins - it is an event. The amount of kids waiting for autographs is indicative of this, they want to connect to their heroes not just watch them in action. To suggest this isnt the case is just naive as this has always been the case and probably always will, not just at our club but at every club across the land.

Your suggestion would take up funds and time, players wouldn't want to be stuck pre match every game for an hour and its not really entertaining is it in honesty? Players can only engage with one person at a a time and how fun is a chat with a fringe player for the majority of the people who wouldn't get a chance to or even hear what they were saying.

This is a simple walk through - off the bus and into the ground, with one of the players sticking around for a 60 second interview. Plus if kids had the option of having a photo with Scott Sinclair and watching some goals on TV or see Yaya Toure, Sergio Aguero and Vincent Kompany while trying to win City memorabilia which one do you think they would choose? Honestly.

I was seriously seriously impressed. When we were all watching the entertainment waiting for the players i also saw two people coming around asking kids if they wanted their face pained for free before their mascot turned up and again the kids were loving it all. The presenters were also having some banter with us the swansea fans.

The only disappointment being this was only for the home team and Swansea entered via a different entrance (which we only found out afterwards).

It isn't for everyone, there were 50,000 people there on the weekend and about 3,000-4,000 stuck around for some or all of it so thats 8% of the fans which would represent about 1,600 fans for us at our home games. But those 1,600 fans would absolutely love it if it were the same reactions to the Man City ore match event.

The other 90% would be doing as some of you have said - pub etc.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2014 12:45]
Login to get fewer ads

Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 12:38 - Nov 25 with 3363 viewswestside

a picnic area outside the stadium selling hot drinks with seats, benches, tables, and canopies over the top so fans have somewhere to congregate before and after games maybe with a bandstand for music and entertainment.
Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 12:41 - Nov 25 with 3353 viewsGlyn1

Do that as well. Yes, I'd like to see them do something like this -anything to add a bit more entertainment for your money, perhaps get some young, local bands to play as well, which is what City also did, but I'm not sure where you could stage it but good luck with the idea.

Incidentally I bumped into City legend Tony Book in a pub in Castlefield after the match and he was highly complimentary about our team. Very nice man.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 12:42 - Nov 25 with 3352 viewsDarran

Yeah I can see thousands congregating for a hot drink before and after the game.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 12:58 - Nov 25 with 3308 viewsJackhero

Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 12:42 - Nov 25 by Darran

Yeah I can see thousands congregating for a hot drink before and after the game.

Why not? With a band and a bit of entertainment I cannot see why this would not work.

Tubbs: Will heaven be like Swansea? Edward: Yes, Tubbs. Only... bigger.

Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 13:52 - Nov 25 with 3205 viewsswancity

Some radical changes are required before the game and at half time. I think Kevin Johns has reached his sell by date quite frankly. Some new ideas are required. Certainly the half time penalty nonsense has to stop.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 13:58 - Nov 25 with 3181 viewsSwansEvents

Seems like im not the only one to be impressed then:-

Man City top table for pre match day experience

http://www.mcfc.com/News/Club-news/2014/August/MCFC-top-match-day-experience
Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 14:02 - Nov 25 with 3170 viewsSwansEvents

Here is the same sort of stuff before the Munich game with Natalie Pike, the presenter, who I spoke to on Saturday about it being a mainstay of their presentation team now, she was shocked we did nothing before our matches. This was the same freestyler too, he is immense. Take a peak.

Its free to the fans remember, barely a cost to the club and improves the feel around matchdays majorly as far as im concerned. Anyway ill leave you with that and cheers for those who have given their views.

[Post edited 25 Nov 2014 14:06]
Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 14:04 - Nov 25 with 3164 viewsDarran

Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 12:58 - Nov 25 by Jackhero

Why not? With a band and a bit of entertainment I cannot see why this would not work.

Nobody's going to hang around after the game for some crappy band mun.

Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 14:12 - Nov 25 with 3142 viewsscottishjack

Seems to me that Man City have just a tiny little bit more space to put this kind of thing together?
Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 14:34 - Nov 25 with 3109 viewsSwansEvents

There is not much to put together, a few barriers and a blue carpet is all it is. It is basically the immediate surrounding vicinity of the players and VIP entrance.

Its called cheer square and has become so popular that BT now sponsor it.

It takes up very little room, here i have marked it in red:-

[Post edited 25 Nov 2014 14:44]
Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 14:50 - Nov 25 with 3077 viewsShaky

Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 14:02 - Nov 25 by SwansEvents

Here is the same sort of stuff before the Munich game with Natalie Pike, the presenter, who I spoke to on Saturday about it being a mainstay of their presentation team now, she was shocked we did nothing before our matches. This was the same freestyler too, he is immense. Take a peak.

Its free to the fans remember, barely a cost to the club and improves the feel around matchdays majorly as far as im concerned. Anyway ill leave you with that and cheers for those who have given their views.

[Post edited 25 Nov 2014 14:06]

Get that Manc keyboard player down doing his medley of Italo piano house classics, and even I might turn up!

Just what you need.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 14:53 - Nov 25 with 3061 viewsNeiltheTaylor

The Swansea version would be a load of eisteddford clog dancers with a fiddle while Kevin Johns bellows over the top of them...not far off what we have now

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 15:01 - Nov 25 with 3037 viewsSwansEvents

Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 14:53 - Nov 25 by NeiltheTaylor

The Swansea version would be a load of eisteddford clog dancers with a fiddle while Kevin Johns bellows over the top of them...not far off what we have now

Id suggest a local DJ playing some Stereophonics etc

It was really effective with Oasis, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and then the players walking off the bus to Kasabian it was quite "tribal".

I do like the idea of a local band though.

As another thought, this could be done in the stadium too but obviously that would have to scrap the arrival of the players.

I think our pre match entertainment is quite tired now and very old fashioned, we need to create a buzz before the match. Thats my opinion anyway.
Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 15:03 - Nov 25 with 3029 viewsscottishjack

Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 15:01 - Nov 25 by SwansEvents

Id suggest a local DJ playing some Stereophonics etc

It was really effective with Oasis, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and then the players walking off the bus to Kasabian it was quite "tribal".

I do like the idea of a local band though.

As another thought, this could be done in the stadium too but obviously that would have to scrap the arrival of the players.

I think our pre match entertainment is quite tired now and very old fashioned, we need to create a buzz before the match. Thats my opinion anyway.

What bus?
Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 15:12 - Nov 25 with 3012 viewsSwansEvents

This bus

Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 15:38 - Nov 25 with 2976 viewsDarran

Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 15:03 - Nov 25 by scottishjack

What bus?

He obviously thinks all the Swans players arrive together on a bus mun.

Pre match entertainment, would anyone like this? on 15:40 - Nov 25 with 2967 viewsHighjack

We need to bring back the Ice Babes.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024