Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! 20:00 - Nov 27 with 1514 viewsthomasJack

While comment was fairly innocuous, the mention of Europa League qualification through the league is surely a first for a Swansea manager

Once upon a time there was talk of a "league within a league" in the Premiership, and while that's a line of thinking which has now been firmly put to bed at the Swans it's something which often gets brought up whenever a team's chances of breaking into the established "top four/five/six/seven" are discussed. Few have managed to break the monopoly of the established teams who regularly gain European qualification through league position, and it's almost understandable if some teams didn't view progress to that high a position in the league as possible.

Garry Monk was speaking about how the next nine games will be a defining factor in our target for the season, but for me the little bit at the end of his quotes is very telling. While he may accept it's unrealistic, and you can't plan that far ahead, that Monk even mentioned the Europa League shows how well he feels we've been playing this season, and how - next few results dependent - we could be in a position to build on our great start.

"When we come out of that nine-game period we will know where we are in the league and if we can push on. Or, if there's something we need to quickly address, make sure we don't get dragged down into a relegation fight.

"Of course, the main focus will always be to get to 40 points as soon as possible, hopefully throughout that period we can get to somewhere near... sooner rather than later. Our focus is on now and Crystal Palace, and if we can get three points then great. You can't look too far ahead although obviously I plan ahead for the team and what we're going to do.

"I'd love to get into the Europa League but that's not my focus... our focus is on trying to win the next game." Garry Monk

As I say, the Europa League comment is obviously a throwaway remark, but it's the fact that it was even mentioned that pleases me. If we win our next two games (Palace & QPR at home) we'll have twenty-four points from fourteen games, which if extrapolated over a season adds up to 65 points (near as damnit) - which would obviously be a record points return for the Swans and would almost definitely put us in a good position for European qualification.

I'm not expecting us to get sixty-five points, but as Monk says if we get the right results in our next nine games then we can reassess and push on. To where, it remains to be seen - I for one though am glad that given our great start to the season Monk does at least acknowledge that European qualification is a possibility.

As Monk said, we aim to compete in every game. Do that over the rest of the season and who knows where we'll end up, but I wouldn't bet against a record points return.

Would you?
http://www.theswanseaway.co.uk/2014/11/monk-eyeing-europa-league-providing.html#

Poll: Next signing

Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 20:07 - Nov 27 with 1496 viewsOldjack

Best too say nowt

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 20:11 - Nov 27 with 1481 viewsDarran

Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 20:07 - Nov 27 by Oldjack

Best too say nowt

I agree Alan.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 08:22 - Nov 28 with 1215 viewsWhiterockin

Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 20:07 - Nov 27 by Oldjack

Best too say nowt

I agree, but under Monk we do not fear anybody. Under some previous managers we were defeated before we walked onto the pitch against the big boys.
Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 10:33 - Nov 28 with 1114 viewssnork44

Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 08:22 - Nov 28 by Whiterockin

I agree, but under Monk we do not fear anybody. Under some previous managers we were defeated before we walked onto the pitch against the big boys.

Correction under one previous Manager!

Premier Snork now watching from the USA
Poll: What do you prefer on Planet Swans after a game?

Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 10:46 - Nov 28 with 1098 viewsLeonisGod

Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 10:33 - Nov 28 by snork44

Correction under one previous Manager!

Laudrup?

If only we'd beaten the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U and Liverpool away under Laudrup, he'd probably be considered our greatest manager ever. Oh.
Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 10:50 - Nov 28 with 1093 viewsicecoldjack

Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 08:22 - Nov 28 by Whiterockin

Yeah it was a terrible attitude to have, especially going away to arsenal,man utd ,liverpool and chelsea knocking them out of cups and taking 3 pts A t the emirites.

What some managers my say to the press is not always what they actually think, lost tight games away at liverpool and man td after going toe to toe with them too.

I never though we feared anybody then, if anything we were perhaps a bit too confdent! Man utd at home last season is a good example.liverpool home the same.
Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 12:35 - Nov 28 with 1027 viewslatchford

Personally, I find it a bit disappointing when players say we only have one aim and that's to get to forty points. I fully appreciate its essential we stay in this league. But the way the division is today I see no reason why we shouldn't be gunning for top six.

Be nice for someone to come out and say that's our goal. Suppose risk is then falling flat on your face
Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 16:25 - Nov 28 with 911 viewsDyfnant

Best too say nowt

Did you manage to watch us away in the Europa last season Al?

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Login to get fewer ads

Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 20:06 - Nov 28 with 778 viewsOldjack

Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 16:25 - Nov 28 by Dyfnant

Did you manage to watch us away in the Europa last season Al?

yes i saw every game

on tv ,why?

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 21:40 - Nov 28 with 722 viewsDyfnant

Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 20:06 - Nov 28 by Oldjack

yes i saw every game

on tv ,why?

Thought you would've travelled for a match that's all

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 09:34 - Nov 29 with 590 viewsJackToff

Yep that is why we actually qualified for Europe.

Remember Chelsea home and away, beat them at theirs and they could not even score a single goal against us in 180+ minutes of football.

Remember Arsenal at theirs

Remember beating Manu for the first time ever at theirs

Remember Valencia..........

That chip must be mighty heavy let it go and enjoy the fantastic things that so many of our managers have achieved with our team. To do otherwise makes us look small minded and pathetic.
Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 09:45 - Nov 29 with 578 viewsDarran

Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 09:34 - Nov 29 by JackToff

Yep that is why we actually qualified for Europe.

Remember Chelsea home and away, beat them at theirs and they could not even score a single goal against us in 180+ minutes of football.

Remember Arsenal at theirs

Remember beating Manu for the first time ever at theirs

Remember Valencia..........

That chip must be mighty heavy let it go and enjoy the fantastic things that so many of our managers have achieved with our team. To do otherwise makes us look small minded and pathetic.

Ooh look out Laudrups bacon bender is back.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 10:02 - Nov 29 with 558 viewsJackToff

Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 09:45 - Nov 29 by Darran

Yawn
Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 10:17 - Nov 29 with 553 viewsmonmouth

Monk eyeing Europa League - providing next 9 games go well! on 09:45 - Nov 29 by Darran

He's right on this one though

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024