Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How good are Swansea 20:44 - Dec 7 with 4696 viewsThe_undecided

I dont post on here often as I am more of a distant admirer of Swansea than a local fan having seen their impressive rise to the top tier and the way they have played since getting there, the managers that have come and gone but the same attitude and style of play as almost stuck with the club throughout.

But after todays defeat I would just like to gauge the feeling of Swansea current squad and how far they can go this season.

I will start off by summing up (as an outsider) what I have seen so far this season and how it compares to previous seasons.

Personally I was against the appointment of Gary Monk but did like the way that a Manager was appointed from within the ranks and who knows the club inside and out and passinate, these are the traits you want from a club manager, but something nagging me that he is not the man for the job yet and will not get the best out of the players and enough to bring them on from a development viewpoint.

Anyway as this season as progressed I feel that Monk as done little wrong and some of the results quite pleasing with some nice football being played. However I just don't feel that Monk is the right man, I will be straight here the Premier league this season is pretty poor with only Chelsea and Man City being the stand out clubs along with Southampton due to what happened there over the summer, but even they are now starting to fade a little.

Back to Swansea, I think where you currently sit is laregly due to other clubs poor performance rather than a step up from last season..Anyone agree with this? There have been moments of class but I don't think I have seen such a poor Arsenal, Liverpool or Man U (at least when you played them at OT) side in many a year.

Other wins seem to be mainly at home against clubs hovering around the bottom quarter of the table, W Brom, QPR, Burnley, Leicester teams I would of put money on Swansea beating at home this season. There has only been 1 win on the road and that was back in August, is that a worry?

I think that many of the bigger clubs suffered from World Cup blues early on with some still not fully recovered with ongoing injuries to key players, Swansea will face these sides later in the season away from home.

Looking at the table now and Swansea in 8th they have already lost or drawn to a few of the clubs below them but are only 18 points from safety, so I am guessing its more of a slip up above rather than performances against those below.

So my question is, are Swansea better this season than previous or does any feel like I do that its more to do with favorable fixtures early on and other clubs slipping up maybe due to World Cup, as I think Swansea did better overall in a season when they had European football to deal with as well, this season there are no distractions.

Thoughts please
How good are Swansea on 20:48 - Dec 7 with 4022 viewsMrSwan

I n footballing terms one of the best teams in the premier league and in the top 10 of best footballing sides in Europe we just have to have more determination to show it even more.

Poll: Do you rate Shelvey?

How good are Swansea on 20:52 - Dec 7 with 4000 viewsLeonisGod

We're a better team this year than last without doubt. Far more solid (normally) although yes the away record is a worry. But in those games we've put up some great performances at Chelsea and Man C especially. I have to say though that I'm not enjoying watching us as much as under Laudrup first season and even under Rodgers. There's quite a bit more long ball going on at times now. We used to control games with the ball, but we're now looking to manage games without the ball and be more clinical when we have it. Overall though we're doing well. And it's been good to get some home form back. We'll end up a comfortable mid-table I expect, which will be an improvement on last season.
How good are Swansea on 20:52 - Dec 7 with 3993 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

We are 4 players short of being a real force.

Monk has changed our quick passing game.

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

How good are Swansea on 20:58 - Dec 7 with 3950 viewsIslander

could this be phishing, perchance........hmmm ?
How good are Swansea on 21:45 - Dec 7 with 3864 viewsNaughty71

On a day where everybody is on form we can beat anyone. Trouble is, we rarely maintain that performance level throughout a whole game.

For instance, we looked like world beaters against Palace for the first 20 minutes, then fell apart after the equaliser. Concentration levels are a big concern.

"Who scored that Naughty?", "I don't know, I've forgotten my bl**dy glasses again!".

How good are Swansea on 21:48 - Dec 7 with 3851 viewsLeonisGod

How good are Swansea on 21:45 - Dec 7 by Naughty71

On a day where everybody is on form we can beat anyone. Trouble is, we rarely maintain that performance level throughout a whole game.

For instance, we looked like world beaters against Palace for the first 20 minutes, then fell apart after the equaliser. Concentration levels are a big concern.

We're up and down more often than a whore's dra... er, a yo yo. I still haven't got over palace. Someone's going to get a right thumping at the Liberty soon.
How good are Swansea on 21:50 - Dec 7 with 3841 viewsScoobyWho

World Cup blues , big teams to play away ?
We have already played Man Utd away, Chelsea away and man city away.

the OP is not making sense.

Fisher of men.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

How good are Swansea on 21:53 - Dec 7 with 3826 viewssomersetsimon

How good are Swansea on 20:52 - Dec 7 by oh_tommy_tommy

We are 4 players short of being a real force.

Monk has changed our quick passing game.

But who are those 4 players?
Login to get fewer ads

How good are Swansea on 22:10 - Dec 7 with 3786 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

How good are Swansea on 21:53 - Dec 7 by somersetsimon

But who are those 4 players?

Attacking Left back
Cover for left bank
Cover for right back
Big strong holding midfielder to mix it up .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

How good are Swansea on 22:18 - Dec 7 with 3750 viewsChief

to answer the original post,
-we are good enough to see off the promoted teams consistently every season.
-we are good enough to get a few points per season off the top 7 (if we take our chances) who will let us play, but usually outscore us.
BUT
-we come unstuck (especially away) on the whole against the experienced, hard hoofball teams in the middle of the table (WH / Stoke / Sunderland? etc).

= Overall we are ok, could finish between 8th and 13th.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

How good are Swansea on 21:19 - Dec 15 with 3434 viewsThe_undecided

How good are Swansea on 22:18 - Dec 7 by Chief

to answer the original post,
-we are good enough to see off the promoted teams consistently every season.
-we are good enough to get a few points per season off the top 7 (if we take our chances) who will let us play, but usually outscore us.
BUT
-we come unstuck (especially away) on the whole against the experienced, hard hoofball teams in the middle of the table (WH / Stoke / Sunderland? etc).

= Overall we are ok, could finish between 8th and 13th.

Thanks for all the replies.

Alot of what has been said I tend to agree with but I think Chief for me sums Swansea up at the moment..

Yesterdays defeat to Spurs another that could be seen as top 7 side beating the Swans (ok accepted) or Swansea failing to nab 3 points or at least 1 from a top 7 side that are not in the greatest of form at the moment.

I dont see Swansea finishing top half this season, from my calculations I see a 11th/12th place in a league that has been poor until a couple of weeks ago and something that outside of the man u game Swansea have failed to really take advanatge of, there has been poor form on the road and a few shock home results.

The only sides I would be confident of Swansea finishing above this season

Sunderland
Crystal Palace
Aston Villa
West Brom
Burnley
QPR
Hull
Leicester
How good are Swansea on 22:11 - Dec 15 with 3343 viewsGlyn1

So when we beat or draw away to top teams (Man Utd, Arsenal and Everton) according to you it's because they are poor teams, so no credit to us. But perhaps it's because we made them look poor.

I agree that we are excellent against the weakest teams which is probably why we'll beat Hull this Saturday.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2014 22:15]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

How good are Swansea on 22:21 - Dec 15 with 3304 viewsmonmouth

How good are Swansea on 21:19 - Dec 15 by The_undecided

Alot of what has been said I tend to agree with but I think Chief for me sums Swansea up at the moment..

Yesterdays defeat to Spurs another that could be seen as top 7 side beating the Swans (ok accepted) or Swansea failing to nab 3 points or at least 1 from a top 7 side that are not in the greatest of form at the moment.

I dont see Swansea finishing top half this season, from my calculations I see a 11th/12th place in a league that has been poor until a couple of weeks ago and something that outside of the man u game Swansea have failed to really take advanatge of, there has been poor form on the road and a few shock home results.

Sunderland
Crystal Palace
Aston Villa
West Brom
Burnley
QPR
Hull
Leicester

Don't bite...don't bite...don't bite

Tosser

F*ck, I bit.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

How good are Swansea on 22:24 - Dec 15 with 3296 viewsthevetch

original poster smells like a cardiff fan to me.my opinion is we are stronger when the manager has got a settled side,thought we were shaky yesterday as defence had no confidence in the keeper,subs were made needlessly,but monk is still learning.all this talk of its stronger div this year than last is crap it is what it is and you just got to get on with it my opinion is well finish same as last years position.
How good are Swansea on 22:43 - Dec 15 with 3241 viewsdameedna

How good are Swansea on 22:24 - Dec 15 by thevetch

original poster smells like a cardiff fan to me.my opinion is we are stronger when the manager has got a settled side,thought we were shaky yesterday as defence had no confidence in the keeper,subs were made needlessly,but monk is still learning.all this talk of its stronger div this year than last is crap it is what it is and you just got to get on with it my opinion is well finish same as last years position.

A Top 6 contender
How good are Swansea on 22:47 - Dec 15 with 3233 viewsNOTRAC

Some of our goals have been sublime,the goal against West Ham being a fine example.We started so successfully this season,that we may well have been carried away with unachievable hopes.
The way we outplayed Spurs in the first half hour of the second half was unbelievable.
It all suggests that we could be very, very good.
Gary Monk is a very inexperienced manager but he has progressed extremely well this year, particularly with his media duties.
However he criticised his own players yesterday, Rangel and Richards, if not by name, most certainly by implication.That to my mind is unacceptable.
It would show more maturity if he criticised himself for poor substitutions and for promoting poor marking decisions from set pieces.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

How good are Swansea on 22:55 - Dec 15 with 3204 viewsBobJack

Sunderland
Crystal Palace
Aston Villa
West Brom
Burnley
QPR
Hull
Leicester

Are you Spratty in disguise ? Use 200 words, which could be said in 20.

what team do you support ? Where do you live?

It is not Swansea.

Poll: Most FAVOURITE Swansea City Manager to date

How good are Swansea on 23:02 - Dec 15 with 3185 viewsScoobyWho

Sunderland
Crystal Palace
Aston Villa
West Brom
Burnley
QPR
Hull
Leicester

Beating Arsenal and man utd not good enough for you ?
You should've seen it when we were losing by five goals at home to Kidderminster.

But of course .....

Very few did.

How good are Swansea on 23:03 - Dec 15 with 3177 viewsBloodyhills

We are a good team but have yet to put together a performance where the team is firing on all cylinders for an entire game. It's stop start stop start. I think that once we go get it together some teams will get a tanking.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

How good are Swansea on 23:21 - Dec 15 with 3145 viewsperchrockjack

Ot...old Trafford, so suppose we should be honoured to be in his thoughts.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

How good are Swansea on 01:47 - Dec 16 with 3071 viewsphact0rri

How good are Swansea on 23:03 - Dec 15 by Bloodyhills

We are a good team but have yet to put together a performance where the team is firing on all cylinders for an entire game. It's stop start stop start. I think that once we go get it together some teams will get a tanking.

i think that qpr match was the closest of a strong performance for close to a whole 90 minutes. we have shown real plum swaths of time but for all monk says about trying to teach game management to the squad im seeing little of it on the pitch if im being honest.

but i still feel the signs are there and im seeing great performances and a lot of spirit that makes damn proud of where were going this season

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

How good are Swansea on 19:07 - Dec 16 with 2875 viewsDafyddHuw

A lot less good than we think we are
How good are Swansea on 21:15 - Dec 18 with 2663 viewsThe_undecided

I am just saying it as I see it, I never have watched a live Swansea game in the PL, I don't support any PL clubs, my local side are Division 2 but I can remember many of the Division 1 clashes with Swansea along with an FA cup encounter, but where as we have gone one way (down) you guys have gone up to the top tier. But it's was the way that you set up in the early days of the PL that I liked and watching some of the Sunday fixtures on SSports really got me attracted to Swanseas way of playing.

However because I am not close to the goings on at the club I can't quite put my finger on it, but this season they do not seem like the team of the past few, the obvious step changes being the manager (however he was there for best part of half last season) and the clear out of certain players over the summer.

The discipline for me has been far worse to date this season with red cards being shown a few times already this season, if I recall Swansea had the best discipline their first season in the PL, they may be little things but this does not look and feel like the same team and honestly as an outsider I feel the club has gone backwards without the blinkered fans view.

People have hit back at my comments but what I am saying is how I see it and much of it is fact:

Everton was mentioned as being a good draw - It probably was as I don't think Swansea have ever got a result against Everton in the PL, but it has been a poor Everton side, some of their results so far:

Lost to Palace, Drawn with Sunderland & Hull

Man U around the time Swansea played them

Sunderland - Draw
Burnley - Draw
Leicester - Lost

The best result this Season was Arsenal but again they have also had their problems.

I just think that Swansea have not taken their chances first half of the season and will really struggle against these top sides second half.

Big game Saturday - With only 4 points from a potential 12 in the last 4 they got to find form soon and get back to their solid way of free flowing football, Hull will not make it easy and have been unlucky recently not to get more from their games.

It seems to be all around Bony at the moment and Swansea are very reliant on him, if he does miss 6 games in the New Year with no one to step and replace him then I do wonder where the Swansea goals will come from.
How good are Swansea on 21:19 - Dec 18 with 2655 viewsScoobyWho

How good are Swansea on 21:15 - Dec 18 by The_undecided

I am just saying it as I see it, I never have watched a live Swansea game in the PL, I don't support any PL clubs, my local side are Division 2 but I can remember many of the Division 1 clashes with Swansea along with an FA cup encounter, but where as we have gone one way (down) you guys have gone up to the top tier. But it's was the way that you set up in the early days of the PL that I liked and watching some of the Sunday fixtures on SSports really got me attracted to Swanseas way of playing.

However because I am not close to the goings on at the club I can't quite put my finger on it, but this season they do not seem like the team of the past few, the obvious step changes being the manager (however he was there for best part of half last season) and the clear out of certain players over the summer.

The discipline for me has been far worse to date this season with red cards being shown a few times already this season, if I recall Swansea had the best discipline their first season in the PL, they may be little things but this does not look and feel like the same team and honestly as an outsider I feel the club has gone backwards without the blinkered fans view.

People have hit back at my comments but what I am saying is how I see it and much of it is fact:

Everton was mentioned as being a good draw - It probably was as I don't think Swansea have ever got a result against Everton in the PL, but it has been a poor Everton side, some of their results so far:

Lost to Palace, Drawn with Sunderland & Hull

Man U around the time Swansea played them

Sunderland - Draw
Burnley - Draw
Leicester - Lost

The best result this Season was Arsenal but again they have also had their problems.

I just think that Swansea have not taken their chances first half of the season and will really struggle against these top sides second half.

Big game Saturday - With only 4 points from a potential 12 in the last 4 they got to find form soon and get back to their solid way of free flowing football, Hull will not make it easy and have been unlucky recently not to get more from their games.

It seems to be all around Bony at the moment and Swansea are very reliant on him, if he does miss 6 games in the New Year with no one to step and replace him then I do wonder where the Swansea goals will come from.

One man team.
Saved you a lot of writing.

How good are Swansea on 07:51 - Dec 19 with 2544 viewsphact0rri

How good are Swansea on 21:19 - Dec 18 by ScoobyWho

One man team.
Saved you a lot of writing.

Maybe it was some strange dream I had, but I recall at the top end of the season, Bony wasn't hitting the back of the net at all, and it was mostly our midfield that was giving us goals.

Bony is in good form right now, but when he's not we have shown that others can take chances with aplume. Truth is Bony's number one job is to take shots, and everyone else to attempt to feed him those chances. But to think goals can't come anywhere else or that Bony isn't reliant on the rest of the squad is ridiculous.

He's a top player and I don't want to undermine his abilities, but I think its silly to think that only him who is letting us win games. And I haven't even started on the way our defence has stepped up this season which has been a joy to watch and support.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024