Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Education in Swansea (City and County of) 13:48 - Dec 11 with 6277 viewsCatullus

Are there any other parents out there, or teachers, who are as worried about the way things are going for our schools.
I'm a governor at our kids school and I have seen the cashflow projections for the next 3 years. Our school will have a huge deficit by 2017.
This means of course, job cuts, cuts to extra curricular activities and price rises. Among the things to go will be breakfast club which in our LEA costs around £1,000,000 a year.
There is no way around it as the council has to cut 32 million off it's budget. This of course comes from the Welsh government, who in turn are facing cuts in budget from Westminster.
There are several initiatives which have proved very successful in improving standards that will also (probably) be axed, such as the RWI (reading, writing initiative.
What makes me even more anfry about this, is the promise by Westminster to give Scotland even more money. Currently, Scotland is the best funded (per head) part of the UK. To make Scotland even better off, other regions ( eg,Wales and the North of England) will suffer.
Why do our kids not deserve the same opportunities as the Jocks. My son has been doing really well in school, why should his education be put at risk?

In all honesty, I wish they'd gotten their yes vote and fecked off!! They are now screwing the rest of us over, aided and abetted by a useless Westminster coalition.

The only way to prevent these cuts is for someone to win 100 million plus on the euromillions and give most of it to the council!!
[Post edited 11 Dec 2014 13:56]

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 13:53 - Dec 19 with 1368 viewsskippyjack

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 13:19 - Dec 19 by Gowerjack

The trouble with teachers is that most have never experienced any life outside of the education system, they have no frame of reference as to what life is like in normal employment.

They practically have 1/3 of the year off.. none of them can grasp this concept though.. they might be overworked due to the economic structure of this country.. but they don't understand that they can live a 'normal' structured life with a family.. I don't know why they get so stressed.. the young ones especially.. fair enough if you've been in the game for over 20 years.. but they only realise how lucky they are when they're retired.. they moan, moan moan.. wings, winge, winge.. they need to have a word with the retired teachers.. I'm in the worst spot out of any individual in the UK.. because I've at least got half a brain.. I can categorically state.. you're fortunate.. it's astounding that people are in a worse position than me..
[Post edited 19 Dec 2014 14:20]

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 14:03 - Dec 19 with 1358 viewscostalotta

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 13:30 - Dec 19 by LeonisGod

A vote FOR Swansea education from me. We've 2 in a Welsh infant/primary school and the quality of teaching, enthusiasm and dedication of the staff are second to none. Our kids are inspired, enjoy school and generally more inquisitive about the world around them as a result. I believe the Welsh education system generally has a good reputation and constantly outperforms its English equivalents in the league tables on a lower budget per student. Proving that there's more to this teaching lark than the sensationalist headlines about funding would have us believe.

Do Welsh teaching/speaking schools get more funding than their English speaking counterparts?
Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 14:25 - Dec 19 with 1341 viewsLeonisGod

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 13:53 - Dec 19 by skippyjack

They practically have 1/3 of the year off.. none of them can grasp this concept though.. they might be overworked due to the economic structure of this country.. but they don't understand that they can live a 'normal' structured life with a family.. I don't know why they get so stressed.. the young ones especially.. fair enough if you've been in the game for over 20 years.. but they only realise how lucky they are when they're retired.. they moan, moan moan.. wings, winge, winge.. they need to have a word with the retired teachers.. I'm in the worst spot out of any individual in the UK.. because I've at least got half a brain.. I can categorically state.. you're fortunate.. it's astounding that people are in a worse position than me..
[Post edited 19 Dec 2014 14:20]

Sounds like a great career then skippy - maybe you should give it a go http://teachertrainingcymru.org/home
Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 14:27 - Dec 19 with 1339 viewsLeonisGod

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 14:03 - Dec 19 by costalotta

Do Welsh teaching/speaking schools get more funding than their English speaking counterparts?

No idea. Schools in Wales get less per student than schools in England, but I'm not sure if that's equally divided between English-speaking and Welsh-speaking. We keep hearing references to 'per pupil' in all the media reports on this, so maybe that's how it's worked out??
Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 14:35 - Dec 19 with 1328 viewscostalotta

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 14:27 - Dec 19 by LeonisGod

No idea. Schools in Wales get less per student than schools in England, but I'm not sure if that's equally divided between English-speaking and Welsh-speaking. We keep hearing references to 'per pupil' in all the media reports on this, so maybe that's how it's worked out??

I think you'll find that they (Welsh Speak/Teaching) do get a 'better' deal as it were. In the form of additional funding availability supported by the welsh language activist / nutters who in bed with those equally nutter-esque in the senedd who are socially, politically, economically but unknown to them engineering a return to the dark ages!
Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 14:51 - Dec 19 with 1322 viewspierre91

...all parents should be compelled to spend at least one day in every year sitting behind a glass screen in schools watching how both their own children and all the others respond and behave in the classroom.

This might disabuse them of the belief that "it was better in my day(especially when the cane was available)".

The simple fact is this - if we, as a Nation, spent as much on educating our children as we waste on Trident, HS2, crooked politics and a liturgy of other inequities that that you can all add to, it might convince me we really are living in 2014 as opposed to 1914.

Did we really sleep through the last 100 years and learn nothing ? From some of the replies on this thread it seems so.

Btw, some background information, I am now 67yrs of age and retired and spent the first portion of my working life in Industry (20years) and the next bit (24 years ) in Teaching.

Anybody who tells you the first half was easier and more valuable than the latter is mistaken.
Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 15:38 - Dec 19 with 1306 viewsperchrockjack

Pierre. That is class

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 15:48 - Dec 19 with 1299 viewspierre91

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 15:38 - Dec 19 by perchrockjack

Pierre. That is class

...thank you prj, that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me today. Genuinely means a lot. Respect.
Login to get fewer ads

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 15:58 - Dec 19 with 1293 viewsperchrockjack

Well, it sticks to topic and no abuse.

You re an old bugger though

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 16:41 - Dec 19 with 1281 viewsLeonisGod

Damn those Welsh people who want to speak their own language in their own country. I can barely speak a word, but I'm all for it. For no other reason that it's been proven that being bilingual makes you more cleverer innit.

edit - in reply to costalotta's 'welsh nutter' rant
[Post edited 19 Dec 2014 16:45]
Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 16:43 - Dec 19 with 1276 viewsLeonisGod

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 15:48 - Dec 19 by pierre91

...thank you prj, that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me today. Genuinely means a lot. Respect.

Yep, great post Pierre only let down by the fact you're an 18 year old trucker from Barnsley really

Fair play, anyone who can spend a whole day stuck in school with kids AND continually motivate and inspire them deserves a medal. I'm climbing up the walls after 10 minutes there.
Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 16:52 - Dec 19 with 1270 viewspierre91

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 16:43 - Dec 19 by LeonisGod

Yep, great post Pierre only let down by the fact you're an 18 year old trucker from Barnsley really

Fair play, anyone who can spend a whole day stuck in school with kids AND continually motivate and inspire them deserves a medal. I'm climbing up the walls after 10 minutes there.

...stick with it LiG, believe me that once in every 10yrs or so when you realise you've made a SMALL difference it suddenly seems worth it. It is.
Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 16:54 - Dec 19 with 1267 viewsLeonisGod

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 16:52 - Dec 19 by pierre91

...stick with it LiG, believe me that once in every 10yrs or so when you realise you've made a SMALL difference it suddenly seems worth it. It is.

I'm only there as a parent picking up - that's long enough for me
Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 17:01 - Dec 19 with 1260 viewspierre91

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 16:54 - Dec 19 by LeonisGod

I'm only there as a parent picking up - that's long enough for me

...ah,right. Here's one you'll enjoy then.........

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/dec/09/parents-evening-honest-answers-
Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 18:21 - Dec 19 with 1240 viewsskippyjack

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 14:25 - Dec 19 by LeonisGod

Sounds like a great career then skippy - maybe you should give it a go http://teachertrainingcymru.org/home

They're looking to cut teachers.. not create them mun.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 18:35 - Dec 19 with 1130 viewsEdmundo

Wales has decided to stick with a 100% comprehensive education system, which ITV education spokesman was a badge of honour for Wales!

Whilst our education system falls further behind England who have only 37% comprehensive schools, the rest are 'free schools' and academies

Wales will always be poor and hence poorly educated 😔

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 19:07 - Dec 19 with 1117 viewscostalotta

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 16:41 - Dec 19 by LeonisGod

Damn those Welsh people who want to speak their own language in their own country. I can barely speak a word, but I'm all for it. For no other reason that it's been proven that being bilingual makes you more cleverer innit.

edit - in reply to costalotta's 'welsh nutter' rant
[Post edited 19 Dec 2014 16:45]

Don't take it personally Leon.

You could be on to something, if i can peak more than one language it makes me cleverer and all for it!

hahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahhahhahahaha.

You are not wrong, talk about stating the obvious. Maybe we'd be better preparing our young people for doing business with the rest of the world and speak their languages. Rather than, well, getting a job with BBC Wales or similar.
Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 21:03 - Dec 19 with 1093 viewsJackfath

Are all Comprehensive schools bad?
Is throwing money at the education system the answer?

There are some incredibly shallow ideals flying about on this thread.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 22:00 - Dec 19 with 1082 viewspierre91

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 21:03 - Dec 19 by Jackfath

Are all Comprehensive schools bad?
Is throwing money at the education system the answer?

There are some incredibly shallow ideals flying about on this thread.

No.
No, but it would help.
Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 17:49 - Dec 20 with 1031 viewsCatullus

Great post by Pierre, but Skippy, you are painfully unaware of how much work teachers do outside school hours.
It's not the same in all schools, but in my sons Primary the teachers gave nearly 2000 hours of unpaid time for extracurricular activities in the last year. Those activities would not have happened if teachers had wanted paying.
They also spend time (at home) arranging their lessons and marking homework.

I have been a governor for about a year, I also volunteered at the school for a while (in year 6) and it has truly opened my eyes.
Some parents had problems at home and teachers have done things like bringing kids to school and taking them home, having collections and putting food hampers together and buying presents and giving them to less fortunate families.
That came about after one little girl (whose class were asked what Santa gave them) replied " Santa didn't come, I must have been naughty" and in another case, a teacher did a home visit and discovered they literally had no food ( except mouldy food) nd the parents weren't smokers, drinkers or druggies, they were just broke!!
It's been kind of the thing to attack teachers. But people need to be better informed before having a go!!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 18:51 - Dec 20 with 1017 viewsskippyjack

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 17:49 - Dec 20 by Catullus

Great post by Pierre, but Skippy, you are painfully unaware of how much work teachers do outside school hours.
It's not the same in all schools, but in my sons Primary the teachers gave nearly 2000 hours of unpaid time for extracurricular activities in the last year. Those activities would not have happened if teachers had wanted paying.
They also spend time (at home) arranging their lessons and marking homework.

I have been a governor for about a year, I also volunteered at the school for a while (in year 6) and it has truly opened my eyes.
Some parents had problems at home and teachers have done things like bringing kids to school and taking them home, having collections and putting food hampers together and buying presents and giving them to less fortunate families.
That came about after one little girl (whose class were asked what Santa gave them) replied " Santa didn't come, I must have been naughty" and in another case, a teacher did a home visit and discovered they literally had no food ( except mouldy food) nd the parents weren't smokers, drinkers or druggies, they were just broke!!
It's been kind of the thing to attack teachers. But people need to be better informed before having a go!!

Informed? You have 100+ days holiday plus weekends ffs.. at least 70 days during term time.. 170 days off.. f*ck me you're over worked you lot are.. you don't realise how fortunate you all are.. this is coming from a governor who should keep his mouth zipped.. you've only been in the position for a year.. f*ck me give me your job.

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 18:58 - Dec 20 with 1011 viewsJackfath

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 18:51 - Dec 20 by skippyjack

Informed? You have 100+ days holiday plus weekends ffs.. at least 70 days during term time.. 170 days off.. f*ck me you're over worked you lot are.. you don't realise how fortunate you all are.. this is coming from a governor who should keep his mouth zipped.. you've only been in the position for a year.. f*ck me give me your job.

Give you the job?

You could always apply Skippy.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 18:59 - Dec 20 with 1011 viewsskippyjack

Plus these skilled 'primary' teachers making money for charitable causes across the border.. why don't they make money for charitable causes in the 'local' area.. so you can 'appoint' jobless tw*ts like me to do the extra workload?.. see.. teachers.. f*cking dense.

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 19:00 - Dec 20 with 1008 viewsJackfath

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 18:59 - Dec 20 by skippyjack

Plus these skilled 'primary' teachers making money for charitable causes across the border.. why don't they make money for charitable causes in the 'local' area.. so you can 'appoint' jobless tw*ts like me to do the extra workload?.. see.. teachers.. f*cking dense.

To become employed in a school, one has to apply with the relevant qualifications Skip. You understand this?

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 19:07 - Dec 20 with 1004 viewsskippyjack

Education in Swansea (City and County of) on 19:00 - Dec 20 by Jackfath

To become employed in a school, one has to apply with the relevant qualifications Skip. You understand this?

Look you're the skilled lot.. work it out for yourselves..

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024