Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Qatari investment 14:54 - Dec 17 with 3911 viewsDyfnant

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/qatari-government-lin
Go do it Huw

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Qatari investment on 15:10 - Dec 18 with 999 viewslondonlisa2001

Qatari investment on 19:02 - Dec 17 by pencoedjack

Exactly ...if there was a inkling they were interested in us, there would be a Qatari flag flying in the NE upper.

Sorry but no morals from me, if it involved investment from the Qatari government.

Mother Teresa I'm not .

Can I ask you a question which genuinely interests me.

(Before I do, I should say that I am in the camp that would say that I would absolutely not want to have money injected in the club from Qatar or similar.)

I understand that you say that the morals of it wouldn't interest you which is fair enough if that's what you honestly think. But is there any source of money that you would say no to? I mean - is there a line that you wouldn't be prepared to cross or are you genuinely not bothered as long as it meant money for the club.

I guess that in some ways, I'm asking if it is that you are genuinely not bothered, or whether it is that the behaviour of Qatar in this example, doesn't bother you?
Qatari investment on 15:46 - Dec 18 with 963 viewspencoedjack

Qatari investment on 15:10 - Dec 18 by londonlisa2001

Can I ask you a question which genuinely interests me.

(Before I do, I should say that I am in the camp that would say that I would absolutely not want to have money injected in the club from Qatar or similar.)

I understand that you say that the morals of it wouldn't interest you which is fair enough if that's what you honestly think. But is there any source of money that you would say no to? I mean - is there a line that you wouldn't be prepared to cross or are you genuinely not bothered as long as it meant money for the club.

I guess that in some ways, I'm asking if it is that you are genuinely not bothered, or whether it is that the behaviour of Qatar in this example, doesn't bother you?

Lisa the way I see it is football is corrupt to the core, if someone doesn't invest in us they will invest in someone else.

1 quote on this thread

If I wanted to 'support' a rich plank's franchise, I might as well just claim undying support Man City or Chelsea. Those clubs are just empty vessels that would be nothing without the random patronage of an ego driven smeg. Underneath the cheering, their 'fans' know that they have no real self respect.

To me that is a complete load of nonsense. Man City had 30,000 crowds in the old division 3 and are probably some of the best fans in the country. Does that poster really believe that after years of having their noses rubbed in it by Utd supporters they really care how Sheikh Mansour made billions of ££££'s and ploughs millions into THEIR club, improving that s**t hole part of Manchester with new state of the art facilities along the way.

I have followed Swansea for over 30 years (was on the Petty march) but I believe to many fans are scared of change .... its coming so we might as well embrace it.

In answer to your direct question there are not many sources of money I would say no to (Russia Qatar Saudi China ), which I guess are the countries you are assuming I should say no to.

Morals of an alley cat I guess.

Talking of morals did I read that you worked in the banking/investor sector on here previously ? ( & I wont get into the bully boy tactics like I see some doing to you on here)
[Post edited 18 Dec 2014 15:48]
Qatari investment on 16:09 - Dec 18 with 921 viewslondonlisa2001

Qatari investment on 15:46 - Dec 18 by pencoedjack

Lisa the way I see it is football is corrupt to the core, if someone doesn't invest in us they will invest in someone else.

1 quote on this thread

If I wanted to 'support' a rich plank's franchise, I might as well just claim undying support Man City or Chelsea. Those clubs are just empty vessels that would be nothing without the random patronage of an ego driven smeg. Underneath the cheering, their 'fans' know that they have no real self respect.

To me that is a complete load of nonsense. Man City had 30,000 crowds in the old division 3 and are probably some of the best fans in the country. Does that poster really believe that after years of having their noses rubbed in it by Utd supporters they really care how Sheikh Mansour made billions of ££££'s and ploughs millions into THEIR club, improving that s**t hole part of Manchester with new state of the art facilities along the way.

I have followed Swansea for over 30 years (was on the Petty march) but I believe to many fans are scared of change .... its coming so we might as well embrace it.

In answer to your direct question there are not many sources of money I would say no to (Russia Qatar Saudi China ), which I guess are the countries you are assuming I should say no to.

Morals of an alley cat I guess.

Talking of morals did I read that you worked in the banking/investor sector on here previously ? ( & I wont get into the bully boy tactics like I see some doing to you on here)
[Post edited 18 Dec 2014 15:48]

thanks for the honest answer.

The reason I ask is that it's one of those issues which I always think is quite a difficult one.

Like you, I've supported the club for a long time - bit longer in my case (nearer 40 years now) because I'm probably a bit older. On one hand, I would, of course, love to be able to go out and buy x or y player (2 full backs would be nice at the moment I think!) but I am genuinely worried that the club would become less 'mine' if we suddenly received money from outside (actually irrespective in a lot of ways to where the money comes from - to be honest, there are probably very very few genuinely rich people in the world who don't have at least some degree of corruption / oppression or similar in their background - that's why they are so rich).

What worries me so much is that I have a good mate who supported Fulham for years and years - also in late 40s so similar length of time really to me supporting the Swans. I'll never forget him saying that when Al Fayed took them over and suddenly injected a whole bunch of cash (which saw them going right up) that it never really felt the same anymore. He still supported them, and loved them, but he said it just seemed different - not in a way he could particularly put his finger on as such, but it was just somehow 'less'.

Re Man City / Man Utd and all the rest of them - I don't disagree with you - I don't see much different in Man City's moey to Man Utd's money in some ways - both of hem sold their soul (a long time ago with man Utd) and Man City / Chelsea are no more buying the title than Man Utd have done for years.

For me, the issue with countries like Qatar / Saudi etc as well is obviously the direct source of that money, but actually my worry is wider than that which is why I asked the question.

Having said that, the whole 'local' bit may well go through the window soon anyway I guess, in which case, I'm not sure that there'll be any turning back - maybe there wasn't really as soon as the money being pumped into the PL started.

on your other question - I am not, nor have I ever been, a banker :-) I have a financial / corporate background though yes.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2014 16:10]
Qatari investment on 16:33 - Dec 18 with 894 viewsjacksinceever

Perhaps they can build us a new stadium on a reclaimed island in the Bristol Channel ?
[Post edited 18 Dec 2014 16:36]
Qatari investment on 16:35 - Dec 18 with 889 viewsBanosswan

Qatari investment on 16:33 - Dec 18 by jacksinceever

Perhaps they can build us a new stadium on a reclaimed island in the Bristol Channel ?
[Post edited 18 Dec 2014 16:36]

Put a lid on the lagoon and build on top

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Qatari investment on 16:43 - Dec 18 with 877 viewspencoedjack

Qatari investment on 16:09 - Dec 18 by londonlisa2001

thanks for the honest answer.

The reason I ask is that it's one of those issues which I always think is quite a difficult one.

Like you, I've supported the club for a long time - bit longer in my case (nearer 40 years now) because I'm probably a bit older. On one hand, I would, of course, love to be able to go out and buy x or y player (2 full backs would be nice at the moment I think!) but I am genuinely worried that the club would become less 'mine' if we suddenly received money from outside (actually irrespective in a lot of ways to where the money comes from - to be honest, there are probably very very few genuinely rich people in the world who don't have at least some degree of corruption / oppression or similar in their background - that's why they are so rich).

What worries me so much is that I have a good mate who supported Fulham for years and years - also in late 40s so similar length of time really to me supporting the Swans. I'll never forget him saying that when Al Fayed took them over and suddenly injected a whole bunch of cash (which saw them going right up) that it never really felt the same anymore. He still supported them, and loved them, but he said it just seemed different - not in a way he could particularly put his finger on as such, but it was just somehow 'less'.

Re Man City / Man Utd and all the rest of them - I don't disagree with you - I don't see much different in Man City's moey to Man Utd's money in some ways - both of hem sold their soul (a long time ago with man Utd) and Man City / Chelsea are no more buying the title than Man Utd have done for years.

For me, the issue with countries like Qatar / Saudi etc as well is obviously the direct source of that money, but actually my worry is wider than that which is why I asked the question.

Having said that, the whole 'local' bit may well go through the window soon anyway I guess, in which case, I'm not sure that there'll be any turning back - maybe there wasn't really as soon as the money being pumped into the PL started.

on your other question - I am not, nor have I ever been, a banker :-) I have a financial / corporate background though yes.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2014 16:10]

As you rightly say the PL was the likely turning point, when Murdoch & Sky started pumping money not the likes of Al Fayed & Abramovich buying play things.

Anyway unlike many on here I am a glass half full type person ..... whatever will be will be.

At the moment we got our snouts in the trough..... I am sure there are many other clubs who would take our position at the moment & long may it continue.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2014 16:45]
Qatari investment on 17:01 - Dec 18 with 853 viewsAquinas

No thanks.

Despicable country and not an ounce of morality among the rich.

We're doing just fine thanks. Let them stick to camel polo.
Qatari investment on 20:31 - Dec 18 with 779 viewslonglostjack

It's an interesting question - how far do we want to go and at what cost ? Clearly if you want to be serious about having a go at winning the Champions League you 'd need mega bucks. That would mean Quataris, Russian oligarchs or similar. In my opinion that would destroy the character of our club. I'd be happy to continue as we have been and aim to get into Europe every year and go for the cups . Call it lack of ambition if you like but where are Leeds today ?

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Login to get fewer ads

Qatari investment on 22:20 - Dec 18 with 743 viewsDyfnant

Qatari investment on 20:31 - Dec 18 by longlostjack

It's an interesting question - how far do we want to go and at what cost ? Clearly if you want to be serious about having a go at winning the Champions League you 'd need mega bucks. That would mean Quataris, Russian oligarchs or similar. In my opinion that would destroy the character of our club. I'd be happy to continue as we have been and aim to get into Europe every year and go for the cups . Call it lack of ambition if you like but where are Leeds today ?

Leeds never had the money though, all on the never never

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Qatari investment on 22:23 - Dec 18 with 742 viewslonglostjack

Qatari investment on 22:20 - Dec 18 by Dyfnant

Leeds never had the money though, all on the never never

True

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Qatari investment on 00:03 - Dec 19 with 704 viewsairedale

Yeah, but at least Leeds are still a real club, albeit In the control of Don Whatshisface.
Qatari investment on 03:00 - Dec 19 with 678 viewsCatullus

It's becoming obvious to me that real clubs, as you call Leeds, are outside the premier league.
Once you hit the big time, it's a short ride to "unreality" or plasticity, whatever you'd prefer.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Qatari investment on 08:27 - Dec 19 with 654 views3swan

Qatari investment on 12:39 - Dec 18 by Catullus

One small point, they will become a top 5 club as there will be 5 mega rich clubs instead of 4, just my pedantry!!

I agree with Monmouth. And recently, because of all the money, all the rubbish that goes with football these days (FIFA corruption, referee's favouring certain clubs, big clubs fixing things to suit themselves, players earning too much money......and much more) I have drifted away from football.
It had been that I didn't bother with International football, but recently I haven't been bothered at all. I haven't been to the last 4 home games.
While I understand that to move significantly forward, the club needs more inward investment, the thought of our club becoming a rich mans plaything has seriously turned me off.
Right now, I don't know when/if I will go again. I don't even think I'll be renewing my season ticket.
If the Qatari's came after our club, that would definitely be it for me.

I've still got a ST and still going but understand your point. The best time to be a Swans fan but the way I view football has changed since getting to the Premier.

As far as that type of investment 100% NO
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024