Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New computer system for Senedd chamber. 08:21 - Dec 19 with 1328 viewsNOTRAC

I have often thought that nothing looks worse about our Welsh government ,than seeing our AMs in the debating chamber at the Senedd looking and using their keyboards and monitors instead of listening to what is being said.
Now unbelievably today's Western Mail reports that their equipment is being updated at a cost of £320,000.that works out at about £5000 for each of the 60 AMs.
A spokesman for the Assembly Commission said 'in order to maintain the highest standard of support to Members in scrutinising the Welsh Government and legislation, the Commission has taken the decision to upgrade the software that manages Chamber business,including the electronic voting system.Upgrading the software will lead to savings on maintenance and development costs of at least £12,000per annum'
In other words according to my reckoning if it lasts almost 30 years we should actually be saving money.
At the end of the day I suppose we don't want our elected members having to actually listen to debates and be asked to raise their hands to vote on important topics Poor things!
What a different world they live in.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 09:03 - Dec 19 with 1309 viewsUxbridge

The tea budget is probably higher. Absolute peanuts, which given the monkeys in the chamber is quite apt.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 14:05 - Dec 19 with 1247 viewscostalotta

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 09:03 - Dec 19 by Uxbridge

The tea budget is probably higher. Absolute peanuts, which given the monkeys in the chamber is quite apt.

It is still a massive waste of public money. There again, so is the whole Welsh Assembly. I mean, what have they done to make things better for the WHOLE of wales? Nada!
New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 14:19 - Dec 19 with 1239 viewsreddythered

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 14:05 - Dec 19 by costalotta

It is still a massive waste of public money. There again, so is the whole Welsh Assembly. I mean, what have they done to make things better for the WHOLE of wales? Nada!

Yeah, they focus on Cardiff which is why Heath hospital has been so great - not.

The Assembly is a complete and utter joke, I do agree.

Poll: 94th minute; Medel does Charlie Adam, causing a career ending injury. Do you..

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 14:21 - Dec 19 with 1234 viewsUxbridge

Is it? I can't tell. And I can't really get excited about what, in Swansea Council terms, let alone the WAG, is a piffling amount.

If you're asking me whether the WAG itself is a colossal waste of money and rather basseycentric then that's a pinata I'm happy to bash!

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 14:41 - Dec 19 with 1216 viewscostalotta

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 14:21 - Dec 19 by Uxbridge

Is it? I can't tell. And I can't really get excited about what, in Swansea Council terms, let alone the WAG, is a piffling amount.

If you're asking me whether the WAG itself is a colossal waste of money and rather basseycentric then that's a pinata I'm happy to bash!

Its just an extra layer of government. We need less government not more! As for the WA, they've made ridiculous decision after ridiculous decision and at my expense as a Tax payer. I'm afraid to admit that I actually voted yes for this shower of Sh.... as i thought it would make a difference. It hasn't and the just remind of the old fashioned WI !!! Sorry to offend any members of the WI as they probably do more .

Its both though, a waste of money and a bassey centric self importance layer of bulls s*it.
New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 14:45 - Dec 19 with 1205 viewsUxbridge

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 14:41 - Dec 19 by costalotta

Its just an extra layer of government. We need less government not more! As for the WA, they've made ridiculous decision after ridiculous decision and at my expense as a Tax payer. I'm afraid to admit that I actually voted yes for this shower of Sh.... as i thought it would make a difference. It hasn't and the just remind of the old fashioned WI !!! Sorry to offend any members of the WI as they probably do more .

Its both though, a waste of money and a bassey centric self importance layer of bulls s*it.

I don't care about more or less Govt, I care about better Govt. I can see the value of an All-Wales legislature, but as it's populated by second-rate politicians, dominated by the Labour clique who can't see further than 10 miles away then it's a failed project.

I voted Yes too. I still support the principle. But the reality is something I can't support.

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 15:00 - Dec 19 with 1196 viewscostalotta

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 14:45 - Dec 19 by Uxbridge

I don't care about more or less Govt, I care about better Govt. I can see the value of an All-Wales legislature, but as it's populated by second-rate politicians, dominated by the Labour clique who can't see further than 10 miles away then it's a failed project.

I voted Yes too. I still support the principle. But the reality is something I can't support.

Fair enough!

I thought and was hoping it would make a big difference. It started badly though and really has not recovered and the Cardiff centric beast it has become has only made it worse IMO.

Better government = less government and there is nothing wrong with the principle. I used to believe that in a democracy you get the government you deserve. I am not sure anymore. When the 'yes' vote was cast Cardiff voted no. Swansea and pretty much the rest of wales Yes, although it was close. Yet more than a decade on look at Swansea as a city now, or any other place in Wales yet look at Cardiff! Enough said!

I personally know a few AMs. Good people with al the right intentions. However, the perks and benefits they were receiving was in their own word "F***ing crazy" and at the expense of the tax payer. But they have not made Wales a better place with better prospects. In fact, the opposite has happened.
New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 15:13 - Dec 19 with 1182 viewsUxbridge

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 15:00 - Dec 19 by costalotta

Fair enough!

I thought and was hoping it would make a big difference. It started badly though and really has not recovered and the Cardiff centric beast it has become has only made it worse IMO.

Better government = less government and there is nothing wrong with the principle. I used to believe that in a democracy you get the government you deserve. I am not sure anymore. When the 'yes' vote was cast Cardiff voted no. Swansea and pretty much the rest of wales Yes, although it was close. Yet more than a decade on look at Swansea as a city now, or any other place in Wales yet look at Cardiff! Enough said!

I personally know a few AMs. Good people with al the right intentions. However, the perks and benefits they were receiving was in their own word "F***ing crazy" and at the expense of the tax payer. But they have not made Wales a better place with better prospects. In fact, the opposite has happened.

I agree, Wales hasn't benefited.

As a lifelong private sector employee I've never quite bought the argument that public sector = natural inefficiency. I see plenty of inefficiency in some of the most profitable private sector companies I've work for or with. There's no logical reason why the public sector can't be just as efficient ... you just need the right people and structures in place.

Login to get fewer ads

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 15:25 - Dec 19 with 1171 viewscostalotta

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 15:13 - Dec 19 by Uxbridge

As a lifelong private sector employee I've never quite bought the argument that public sector = natural inefficiency. I see plenty of inefficiency in some of the most profitable private sector companies I've work for or with. There's no logical reason why the public sector can't be just as efficient ... you just need the right people and structures in place.

Agreed!

I run my own business, well two actually. My main work is in my IT company, a small business but provides niche services to big corporations and the public sector and i have noted what you describe many times.

However, i feel as if i don't need layers and layers of government. Its not an efficiency thing for me, just a waste of money. Also, i feel i can make my own decisions and run my own life and don't need a government to tell me, directly or through social engineering what to do. I know how to live. I know the difference between right and wrong. I pay my taxes, i partake in society and vote at elections.

I hold no loyalty politically speaking and will vote which ever way i feel is right at that time. I do not like the notion of governments manipulating its people, hold more value of a certain group than another. Nor do i like the concept of nanny state.

With this in mind i see no reason in persevering with the welsh assembly experiment any further.
New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 15:35 - Dec 19 with 1158 viewsUxbridge

Who said we can't get agreement on this site

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 15:40 - Dec 19 with 1155 viewscostalotta

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 15:35 - Dec 19 by Uxbridge

Who said we can't get agreement on this site

Indeed!

Hey I am travelling up your way on Sunday (Assuming you are in Uxbridge) to a concert in Hammersmith.

The Cure Xmas Party. Should be fun!
New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 15:52 - Dec 19 with 1142 viewsreddythered

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 15:13 - Dec 19 by Uxbridge

Private sector inefficiency => borne by private sector company
Public sector inefficiency => borne by taxpayer

Fully agree about the right people and structures comments. As a private sector company, come of the worst contracts I've been involved with have been when dealing with the public sector.

Need X done? Ok, can you give me the requirements please. Yes, ok, no problem. After two-three weeks of then pointing out the requirements still haven't been delivered and I've gone as far with basic infrastructure as I can someone will hurry it up - after a 2 hour meeting involving 6 heads of 5 different departments; 3 of which are holding things up because they claim to have a stake in things that have zero to do with their department. So you then get the requirements delivered a week before release; then find 2 days before release they've spotted their mistakes / want new things so can you please do them to the deadline? Oh, and if it's late it's all your fault btw.

Not saying I've never encountered the above in b2b dealings, but it's been nowhere at the level I've found when dealing with the public sector.

Poll: 94th minute; Medel does Charlie Adam, causing a career ending injury. Do you..

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 16:06 - Dec 19 with 1127 viewscostalotta

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 15:52 - Dec 19 by reddythered

Private sector inefficiency => borne by private sector company
Public sector inefficiency => borne by taxpayer

Fully agree about the right people and structures comments. As a private sector company, come of the worst contracts I've been involved with have been when dealing with the public sector.

Need X done? Ok, can you give me the requirements please. Yes, ok, no problem. After two-three weeks of then pointing out the requirements still haven't been delivered and I've gone as far with basic infrastructure as I can someone will hurry it up - after a 2 hour meeting involving 6 heads of 5 different departments; 3 of which are holding things up because they claim to have a stake in things that have zero to do with their department. So you then get the requirements delivered a week before release; then find 2 days before release they've spotted their mistakes / want new things so can you please do them to the deadline? Oh, and if it's late it's all your fault btw.

Not saying I've never encountered the above in b2b dealings, but it's been nowhere at the level I've found when dealing with the public sector.

"Not saying I've never encountered the above in b2b dealings, but it's been nowhere at the level I've found when dealing with the public sector."

Is that what Ux was saying though?
New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 16:47 - Dec 19 with 1105 viewsreddythered

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 16:06 - Dec 19 by costalotta

"Not saying I've never encountered the above in b2b dealings, but it's been nowhere at the level I've found when dealing with the public sector."

Is that what Ux was saying though?

Not quite.

I've generally found the public sector is woefully inefficient ( which would kill profitability if that degree was in the private sector ) and some of those issues are inherent within public sector.

Can be down to a number of reasons, usually lower wages for example mean the calibre of public sector worker imo is usually below that of the private sector - best people knowing they are good enough to earn more elsewhere.

All I can say is that from the environments my company has worked in, some of the public sector activity or more accurately inactivity would lead to bollockings given out left right and centre in the private sector.

It's almost as if at times there's a malaise. Do just the minimal viable work for whatever project it is, if it impacts others working then, well whatever. It just seems to be a cultural thing more than anything else.

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 17:28 - Dec 19 with 1092 viewscostalotta

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 16:47 - Dec 19 by reddythered

Not quite.

I've generally found the public sector is woefully inefficient ( which would kill profitability if that degree was in the private sector ) and some of those issues are inherent within public sector.

Can be down to a number of reasons, usually lower wages for example mean the calibre of public sector worker imo is usually below that of the private sector - best people knowing they are good enough to earn more elsewhere.

All I can say is that from the environments my company has worked in, some of the public sector activity or more accurately inactivity would lead to bollockings given out left right and centre in the private sector.

It's almost as if at times there's a malaise. Do just the minimal viable work for whatever project it is, if it impacts others working then, well whatever. It just seems to be a cultural thing more than anything else.

"It's almost as if at times there's a malaise. Do just the minimal viable work for whatever project it is, if it impacts others working then, well whatever. It just seems to be a cultural thing more than anything else."

I agree that that is indicative of the public sector sector in general but certainly not in all public sector institutions or amongst its entire workforce. However, whilst you maybe be on to something when you mention the calibre of the worker in the public sector I don't think that is bad as it once was. No excuse i know. Its worth also remembering that when labour was in great demand the private sector certainly pulled the workers and left the public sector scrambling around for whatever it could get. As jobs have become scarcer that has changed.

At the end of the day I personally think its vital that a country has public services that it and its citizens can be proud of. In a way its what makes a country great. However, i also think that freeloaders, time-wasters, bullsh*tters should be weeded out and removed from any institutions they belong, public or private.

We should be proud of our public sector, however whilst it is a target for government, the media and many of those in the private sector we are perhaps becoming victims of divide and conquer, maybe?
New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 18:27 - Dec 19 with 1061 viewsreddythered

Weeded out from the public sector I absolutely agree. After all, what is the public sector for - look at the services provided.

Private sector I'd disagree. That's entirely up to private companies to deal with

And to be fair I should probably caveat my views - my family have certainly experienced many issues with local NHS services due to basic incompetence at the front line - but the bulk of the inefficiencies, "laziness" are most noticeable in the admin side of the public sector, amongst customer facing paperwork services etc. I don't for one second believe firefighters would think "I'll just wait to go and save that family, got this game of pool to finish".

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 18:47 - Dec 19 with 1046 viewsEdmundo

Not an awful lot!

The biggest waste of money after bi-lingual signage throughout Wales!

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 19:02 - Dec 19 with 1042 viewscostalotta

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 18:47 - Dec 19 by Edmundo

Not an awful lot!

The biggest waste of money after bi-lingual signage throughout Wales!

Lol.

Waste of money yes, maybe more so but a different debate that is... the Welsh Language Experiment!

What makes laugh about that is what about when a new word is needed, who is responsible for coming up with...

Fetropolitan
Pingdipong

hahahahah!

To be honest if the language thrives of its own accord; fantastics. If it doesn't then so be it. On the international stage its completely irrelevant, as it is to most of the people who live in Wales.
New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 19:53 - Dec 19 with 1019 viewsexiledclaseboy

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 16:47 - Dec 19 by reddythered

Not quite.

I can only assume you haven't had any experience with the public sector for some years. In my not inconsiderable experience, private sector involvement in public sector services siphons taxpayer money to the companies involved, rarely provides a better service or infrastructure and invariably works out far more expensive than it would have had the work been kept "in house".

And the influx of senior civil servants from the private to public sector in recent years belies your view that the calibre of public sector worker is "lower".

Poll: Tory leader

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 20:36 - Dec 19 with 995 viewsKilkennyjack

Well the UK government - with its unelected house of lords - has waged illegal wars but lets ignore all that and have a go at the Welsh Government. Lets ignore expenses scandels and the scandel of short changing the taxpayer with the PO privatisation. Ignore the lack of women. Ignore the racism of the Tory UKIP agenda. Ignore the child abuse. In terms of private vs public sectors then the G4S performance at the olympics tells you all you need to know. The Army had to be called in to save the day ! Dont buy this crap - private companies are all about short term profit. Think bankers bonus.

Beware of the Risen People

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 20:42 - Dec 19 with 988 viewsLohengrin

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 20:36 - Dec 19 by Kilkennyjack

Well the UK government - with its unelected house of lords - has waged illegal wars but lets ignore all that and have a go at the Welsh Government. Lets ignore expenses scandels and the scandel of short changing the taxpayer with the PO privatisation. Ignore the lack of women. Ignore the racism of the Tory UKIP agenda. Ignore the child abuse. In terms of private vs public sectors then the G4S performance at the olympics tells you all you need to know. The Army had to be called in to save the day ! Dont buy this crap - private companies are all about short term profit. Think bankers bonus.

To be fair it's not as if the failings of the UK Government aren't given a regular airing on here.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 23:09 - Dec 19 with 939 viewsreddythered

New computer system for Senedd chamber. on 19:53 - Dec 19 by exiledclaseboy

I can only assume you haven't had any experience with the public sector for some years. In my not inconsiderable experience, private sector involvement in public sector services siphons taxpayer money to the companies involved, rarely provides a better service or infrastructure and invariably works out far more expensive than it would have had the work been kept "in house".

And the influx of senior civil servants from the private to public sector in recent years belies your view that the calibre of public sector worker is "lower".

In recent years, very recent years indeed.

I'll grant you some scenarios you're correct but I'll give you one pertinent example directly encountered.

Some text on screens needed changing. Welsh translations were needed. It took 6-8 weeks to even get any of the translations needed - those provided had glaring errors that even I could spot and I speak very little Welsh. So you tell me then - when the work is delayed do you blame the private sector company involved who had to make regular demands and chase the public sector side for information or the public sector incompetence?

That's just one of over ten examples I could produce off the top of my head across two different public sectors - both within the last 2 years.

The fact that many failed public sector IT project aren't per se down to private sector involvement but the fact there are many public sector elements who want a system that does X except they don't know what X is as it's not been decided yet, oh and can it do Y as well possibly maybe only for a year down the line they really wanted Z all along isn't down to the private sector. All the while the public sector fail to understand their own business domain hence can't work out requirements for X, Y and Z. Which is at least consistent with systems A to W.

When private sector companies involved in doing that work then go back to the public sector to clear up discrepencies, seeking information required it's frankly like pulling teeth. I've had my time wasted sat in meetings where people from 6 different departments sat around for god knows how long when direct communication with the people responsible in the public sector would give the info needed in less than 5 minutes.

I've never had as many smfh moments as I have had when working with the public sector. As far as I'm concerned right now, to work with the public sector again, even indirectly, my company will be charging higher fees to cover the inconvenience, having to go to the extreme of ensuring paper trails are in place to cover my companies arse when the faecal matter inevitably hits the fan.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2014 23:15]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024