Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
what's this all about ? 23:49 - Dec 20 with 6748 viewswestside

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/wales-international-liam-williams-c
what's this all about ? on 10:18 - Dec 22 with 1065 viewsParlay

what's this all about ? on 10:02 - Dec 22 by perchrockjack

I can see both sides of this.

I doubt Williams is racist just young and thick not being aware that we live in strange times when offence can either be seen when there is none or where there is obvious offence but not ..

It is dense of him not to think before of how it might be perceived but sadly many young people are that shallow, naïve and immature that they cannot see the obvious..

Blacking up, right or wrong is an obvious faux pas, like it or not.

I used to get all annoyed about the term "welshing" on a deal which to me is utterly offensive and worthy of a good kick in the teeth

"Welshing" isn't offensive either, its not derived from the country or indeed have anything to do with its people... but a word in its own right and in the Oxford English. just like the term "Indian summer" has nothing to do with India. it is regarding the Celts and the belief in an after life.

another case of offence when there isn't any.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2014 10:23]

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

what's this all about ? on 10:24 - Dec 22 with 1067 viewsphact0rri

what's this all about ? on 09:14 - Dec 22 by dailew

Plenty of other people (including myself) have never heard of him.

Don't assume that someone is famous just because you've heard of them.

What is celebrity? There's loads of celebrities that you haven't heard of I'm sure. Specifically in cross sections of media that your not overly into. Just because you don't care about it doesn't mean they haven't any celebrity.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

what's this all about ? on 10:28 - Dec 22 with 1060 viewsPonderosa

what's this all about ? on 10:11 - Dec 22 by Oldjack

you forgot the boot polish

Racist

Bring The Missus

what's this all about ? on 10:31 - Dec 22 with 1045 viewsperchrockjack

well ,Just as with racism and its perception by an individual, I , me ,myself see WELSING as offensive as its clearly derogatory TO ME.

You will disagree and that s just fine

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

what's this all about ? on 10:39 - Dec 22 with 1044 viewsParlay

what's this all about ? on 10:31 - Dec 22 by perchrockjack

well ,Just as with racism and its perception by an individual, I , me ,myself see WELSING as offensive as its clearly derogatory TO ME.

You will disagree and that s just fine

I could say I am offended by the sight of cows but it wouldn't make cows offensive.

Just as the people offended by someone dressing up as Bony. They have the problem, they have the issue and they are the ones keeping racism alive. They shouldn't be putting their issues on lads who clearly don't see race as a barrier.

yesterday you labelled men as filth. that's worse.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2014 10:40]

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

what's this all about ? on 10:42 - Dec 22 with 1027 viewsperchrockjack

Well, firstly, thanks for a fair reply.

Point is for "racism" as an offence to be complete ,it has to be seen as such , by the recipient, which is my point..

Different things offend different people.

I have a litany of matters that really would offend many but I keep them to myself

what's this all about ? on 10:58 - Dec 22 with 1023 viewsDarran

what's this all about ? on 09:14 - Dec 22 by Neath_Jack

They've heard of him, unless they are hermits who live in caves with no electricity.

Most will have jobs, where, as in all workplaces, people talk about sport, most sports. I don't like cricket, not one little bit, but i could name quite a few current cricketers. Eastenders, cooking programs, xfactor, they all get talked about, you can't help to be in peoples company who talk about these things. News, newspapers, forums, radio etc etc etc. Wales isn't a big place, there aren't that many international sports people in the area.

One or two (strange people) will no doubt have not heard of him, but the rest are football snobs pretending they haven't heard of him or any of the other players.

Suck my aching stump the lot of you.

Merry Christmas x

"One or two (strange people) will no doubt have not heard of him"

I'd not heard of him before yesterday.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

what's this all about ? on 11:06 - Dec 22 with 1014 viewsjackforever

what's this all about ? on 10:58 - Dec 22 by Darran

Sure he's delighted you've proven his point there dazzler.
Login to get fewer ads

what's this all about ? on 11:12 - Dec 22 with 1011 viewsDarran

what's this all about ? on 11:06 - Dec 22 by jackforever

Sure he's delighted you've proven his point there dazzler.

Thank you Christopher.

what's this all about ? on 11:25 - Dec 22 with 1002 viewsLeonisGod

what's this all about ? on 10:39 - Dec 22 by Parlay

I could say I am offended by the sight of cows but it wouldn't make cows offensive.

Just as the people offended by someone dressing up as Bony. They have the problem, they have the issue and they are the ones keeping racism alive. They shouldn't be putting their issues on lads who clearly don't see race as a barrier.

yesterday you labelled men as filth. that's worse.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2014 10:40]

^^^ +1. Innocent fun undertaken by a mixed race group of young men has been hijacked to create clicks (= money) on a low life digital media site. "They shouldn't be putting their issues on lads who clearly don't see race as a barrier." sums it up perfectly for me. There's a world of difference between the 'blacking up' of old where people were playing a mocking stereotype and a 'costume' where there is clearly no racist intention at all. Do we start criticising all panto dames at this time of year as being sexist?
what's this all about ? on 11:40 - Dec 22 with 976 viewsNeath_Jack

what's this all about ? on 10:58 - Dec 22 by Darran

My case is rested Dar.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

what's this all about ? on 12:56 - Dec 22 with 966 viewsOldjack

what's this all about ? on 10:28 - Dec 22 by Ponderosa

Racist

bollocks !

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

what's this all about ? on 14:54 - Dec 22 with 949 viewsBrynmill_Jack

what's this all about ? on 21:44 - Dec 21 by Chief

the opposite actually. its a compliment to Bony.

if he'd worn a swans kit and sported a pony tail and stubble last season he's have been playing Chico.is that racist?

that fact that he wouldn't have chosen to represent a swans player in fancy dress who was white on the basis of thrie skin colour is racist.

Without doubt that is one of the daftest statements I've ever read on here. Since when were the Spanish a race?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

what's this all about ? on 14:59 - Dec 22 with 940 viewsPonderosa

what's this all about ? on 12:56 - Dec 22 by Oldjack

bollocks !

Testiclist

Bring The Missus

what's this all about ? on 15:07 - Dec 22 with 935 viewsBrynmill_Jack

what's this all about ? on 22:51 - Dec 21 by jack247

Surely it would not have made national news if people outside of rugby circles had no idea who he was?

Either way, whether people have heard of him or not, it's a storm in a teacup.

The "National news" being the Western Mail? It's the national daily newspaper of Wales bit it's got less circulation than the evening post . And if it didn't give half the half the attention to rugby that it does this may not heave even been picked up on.

The fact that it has should suggest to even the thickest posting "I can't see what's wrong with it" that, err, there's something jaw droppingly wrong with it. Or maybe it's because he didn't white out his lips and around his eyes that somehow makes it ok?

I don't say that Liam Williams is a racist because of it but it's a poor judgement call from him and his mates who should have told him "FFS don't post this on social media".

I don't think a thread like this would have survived past page one on the old PS . There must be some just winding up on here, surely?
[Post edited 22 Dec 2014 16:03]

what's this all about ? on 15:13 - Dec 22 with 929 viewsBrynmill_Jack

what's this all about ? on 11:25 - Dec 22 by LeonisGod

^^^ +1. Innocent fun undertaken by a mixed race group of young men has been hijacked to create clicks (= money) on a low life digital media site. "They shouldn't be putting their issues on lads who clearly don't see race as a barrier." sums it up perfectly for me. There's a world of difference between the 'blacking up' of old where people were playing a mocking stereotype and a 'costume' where there is clearly no racist intention at all. Do we start criticising all panto dames at this time of year as being sexist?

Liam Williams is mixed race? What you mean is a group of young men of mixed races

what's this all about ? on 15:33 - Dec 22 with 914 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Where's the other thread? Have the mods seen sense and taken it down?

what's this all about ? on 15:35 - Dec 22 with 912 viewsDarran

They haven't sacked him anyway.

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Ken-Owens-Liam-Williams-sign-new-Scarlet

what's this all about ? on 15:36 - Dec 22 with 908 viewsairedale

I used to hate going to Llanelli for a night out when I was sappy. It was like going abroad with Turks everywhere.

I've nothing against Turks these days mind.
what's this all about ? on 16:37 - Dec 22 with 881 viewsLeonisGod

what's this all about ? on 15:13 - Dec 22 by Brynmill_Jack

Liam Williams is mixed race? What you mean is a group of young men of mixed races

A mix of races as opposed to all being of mixed race. He was with a black dude and a donkey - you don't get much more diverse than that. Anyway, that's not my main point - the main point is that there was absolutely no intent, no mockery, and so not racist.
what's this all about ? on 16:48 - Dec 22 with 874 viewsBrynmill_Jack

what's this all about ? on 16:37 - Dec 22 by LeonisGod

A mix of races as opposed to all being of mixed race. He was with a black dude and a donkey - you don't get much more diverse than that. Anyway, that's not my main point - the main point is that there was absolutely no intent, no mockery, and so not racist.

Well I agree there may have been no intent but don't people unintentionally offend others from time to time. His statement after expressing his regret was welcome but actually blacking up when not black yourself should be left in the 1970's. It has no place in today's society, no matter what the intentions are. I can't see how any black people would fail to be at least bemused by what Liam did if not offended outrightly. Can see why Nathan Blake objects and he's I absolutely right to do so.

what's this all about ? on 18:32 - Dec 22 with 845 viewsjack247

what's this all about ? on 15:07 - Dec 22 by Brynmill_Jack

The "National news" being the Western Mail? It's the national daily newspaper of Wales bit it's got less circulation than the evening post . And if it didn't give half the half the attention to rugby that it does this may not heave even been picked up on.

The fact that it has should suggest to even the thickest posting "I can't see what's wrong with it" that, err, there's something jaw droppingly wrong with it. Or maybe it's because he didn't white out his lips and around his eyes that somehow makes it ok?

I don't say that Liam Williams is a racist because of it but it's a poor judgement call from him and his mates who should have told him "FFS don't post this on social media".

I don't think a thread like this would have survived past page one on the old PS . There must be some just winding up on here, surely?
[Post edited 22 Dec 2014 16:03]

Yes the Western Mail. A quick google search shows the daily mail, the telegraph and the independent are also running stories on it.

Anyway, I got sidetracked because I was amazed at the amount of people who didn't know who he was. Maybe Liam Williams himself didn't think anyone knew who he was and it would therefore go unnoticed.

Back to the main point, I agree with you completely that it wasn't a racist thing to do, but it was clearly a stupid thing to do as there were always going to be people who didn't take it in the way it was intended.
what's this all about ? on 18:44 - Dec 22 with 836 viewsRancid

Big phucking deal eh!!

what's this all about ? on 18:46 - Dec 22 with 827 viewsperchrockjack

Men.?.sure about that.

Anyway, peace on earth

what's this all about ? on 19:57 - Dec 22 with 812 viewsBrynmill_Jack

what's this all about ? on 18:32 - Dec 22 by jack247

Yes the Western Mail. A quick google search shows the daily mail, the telegraph and the independent are also running stories on it.

Anyway, I got sidetracked because I was amazed at the amount of people who didn't know who he was. Maybe Liam Williams himself didn't think anyone knew who he was and it would therefore go unnoticed.

Back to the main point, I agree with you completely that it wasn't a racist thing to do, but it was clearly a stupid thing to do as there were always going to be people who didn't take it in the way it was intended.

No, it WAS a racist thing to do but he didn't mean to offend anyone. And he certainly didn't think it was racist himself nor did he have a racist motive for doing so.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024