Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Blacking Up" as Bony 09:44 - Dec 21 with 13894 viewsNeath_Jack

Fill yer boots.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/wales-international-liam-williams-c

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 19:52 - Dec 21 with 1799 viewsexiledclaseboy

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 18:27 - Dec 21 by skippyjack

Especially when two black males are not allowed a view on racism.. as ECB points out.. it's not Bonys decision.. it's the people who deem dressing up as Bony is racist decision.. which isn't a form of 'equality' is it.. considering anti racism groups fight for 'equality'..

Excuse me, where did I say that "two black males are not allowed a view on racism..."?

Stop making things up, Skip. You'll never get a job that way.

Poll: Tory leader

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 20:03 - Dec 21 with 1765 viewsunion_jack

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 19:52 - Dec 21 by exiledclaseboy

Excuse me, where did I say that "two black males are not allowed a view on racism..."?

Actually, it's the only way to get a job tbh.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 20:05 - Dec 21 with 1761 viewsexiledclaseboy

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 20:03 - Dec 21 by union_jack

Actually, it's the only way to get a job tbh.

Yes I did think that as I typed it.

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 20:05 - Dec 21 with 1755 viewsskippyjack

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 19:52 - Dec 21 by exiledclaseboy

Your intentions or political leanings were obviously advocating towards that periphery line.. (as you would eloquently put it.. in your righteous yet flawed demeanour)

I'll never get a job telling the truth.. so what do you suggest?.. act or lie like your educated selves?.. create a flawed personality trait?.. that's always the problem with you 'well spoken' types.. you're always on the edge.. you always go around the edges.. you never raise a fully blunt answer.. you're all floaters.. imposters trying to be some kind of bastion of reason.. I know you skilled types.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 20:11 - Dec 21 with 1738 viewsexiledclaseboy

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 20:05 - Dec 21 by skippyjack

Your intentions or political leanings were obviously advocating towards that periphery line.. (as you would eloquently put it.. in your righteous yet flawed demeanour)

I'll never get a job telling the truth.. so what do you suggest?.. act or lie like your educated selves?.. create a flawed personality trait?.. that's always the problem with you 'well spoken' types.. you're always on the edge.. you always go around the edges.. you never raise a fully blunt answer.. you're all floaters.. imposters trying to be some kind of bastion of reason.. I know you skilled types.

Nope, you're making things up again. I said it was irrelevant whether Bony is ok with it or not. I did NOT say that he and his apparently Fijian mate weren't allowed a view on it. I've also said (and I'll repeat this for about the gazillionth time because you're clearly hard of understanding) that I do not believe this fella is a "racist", just that he was very stupid to think that a public figure, which he apparently is despite me and some others never having heard of him before today, could dress up in that way and think it wouldn't attract criticism.

By the way, I very much doubt that I have any more formal qualifications or education than you have. In fact, I'd be prepared to wager quite a bit that I've probably got less than you. I have no idea what the rest of your latest self-pitying bleat is all about so I'm going to ignore it. You're probably just being "controversial" again.

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 20:30 - Dec 21 with 1693 viewsskippyjack

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 20:11 - Dec 21 by exiledclaseboy

Nope, you're making things up again. I said it was irrelevant whether Bony is ok with it or not. I did NOT say that he and his apparently Fijian mate weren't allowed a view on it. I've also said (and I'll repeat this for about the gazillionth time because you're clearly hard of understanding) that I do not believe this fella is a "racist", just that he was very stupid to think that a public figure, which he apparently is despite me and some others never having heard of him before today, could dress up in that way and think it wouldn't attract criticism.

By the way, I very much doubt that I have any more formal qualifications or education than you have. In fact, I'd be prepared to wager quite a bit that I've probably got less than you. I have no idea what the rest of your latest self-pitying bleat is all about so I'm going to ignore it. You're probably just being "controversial" again.

Yes it's this view that's the problem.. 'it was irrelevant whether Bony is ok with it or not'.. this can some up the whole debate.. it basically states it isn't up to Bony to decide if Liam Williams could dress up as Bony.. which doesn't spell out equality.. which Nathan Blake has been 'apparently' advocating for.. I don't like contradictions.. or hypocritical views.. which makes 'racism' worse than it actually is.. I've seen fancy dress of footballers on numerous occasions... white, black, half cast, Chinese, Japanese, Indian fancy dresses.. it's such a non issue..

Keep your undies under wraps.. it isn't self pitying.. it's your 'perception' of events.. I'm not being 'controversial'.. I'm trying to make sense of the issue.. plus I'm proving that being honest doesn't get you a job these days.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 20:34 - Dec 21 with 1674 viewsexiledclaseboy

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 20:30 - Dec 21 by skippyjack

Yes it's this view that's the problem.. 'it was irrelevant whether Bony is ok with it or not'.. this can some up the whole debate.. it basically states it isn't up to Bony to decide if Liam Williams could dress up as Bony.. which doesn't spell out equality.. which Nathan Blake has been 'apparently' advocating for.. I don't like contradictions.. or hypocritical views.. which makes 'racism' worse than it actually is.. I've seen fancy dress of footballers on numerous occasions... white, black, half cast, Chinese, Japanese, Indian fancy dresses.. it's such a non issue..

Keep your undies under wraps.. it isn't self pitying.. it's your 'perception' of events.. I'm not being 'controversial'.. I'm trying to make sense of the issue.. plus I'm proving that being honest doesn't get you a job these days.

The only thing you're proving is that you make less sense with every post you make.

I'm out.

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 20:40 - Dec 21 with 1657 viewsDarran

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 20:34 - Dec 21 by exiledclaseboy

The only thing you're proving is that you make less sense with every post you make.

I'm out.

I agree I have no idea wtf he's talking about 99% of the time.
He's like Scouce on acid.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Login to get fewer ads

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 21:02 - Dec 21 with 1624 viewsskippyjack

F*cking dense mun..

Liam Williams had no intention of blacking up
Bony says it's fine

Then you've got Nathan Blake saying.. You have to understand the history of blacking up.. And the black and white minstrels.. and why this is such a sensitive thing..

But you cannot accuse the boy of being racist.. He has just made a decision and he has not seen the harm in it.

Wilfried Bony maybe OK with it but it is bigger than Wilfried Bony.

It's so hypocritical and contradictory.. Liam Williams had no intention of blacking up.. It's the way you perceive it..

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 21:26 - Dec 21 with 1582 viewsLeonisGod

Definition of racism: "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior."

No prejudice, no discrimination, no antagonism.

Ergo this isn't racism. Next.
"Blacking Up" as Bony on 21:31 - Dec 21 with 1577 viewsskippyjack

You oldies mind.. Blacking up isn't even a thing anymore.. Us blacks and whites actually like each other now..16-25 year olds.. We don't discriminate or pick on the black bloke.. We treat them as humans.. We're equals.. In this day an age.. I've seen people dress up as Ronaldo, Rooney, Barthez, Ibrahimovic.. But when somebody wants to dress up as Bony.. It's blacking up.. This divide and constant contradictory hypocrisy is keeping racism alive.. And it needs to be stamped out with equality..

People need to realise it's 2014.. Not the 1920s..

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 21:42 - Dec 21 with 1548 viewsLeonisGod

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 21:31 - Dec 21 by skippyjack

You oldies mind.. Blacking up isn't even a thing anymore.. Us blacks and whites actually like each other now..16-25 year olds.. We don't discriminate or pick on the black bloke.. We treat them as humans.. We're equals.. In this day an age.. I've seen people dress up as Ronaldo, Rooney, Barthez, Ibrahimovic.. But when somebody wants to dress up as Bony.. It's blacking up.. This divide and constant contradictory hypocrisy is keeping racism alive.. And it needs to be stamped out with equality..

People need to realise it's 2014.. Not the 1920s..

More straw men than at a farmers convention lol
"Blacking Up" as Bony on 22:00 - Dec 21 with 1522 viewsChief

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 10:20 - Dec 21 by Kilkennyjack

So a world class footballer comes to our club, scores goals in the highest league possible , bonds with the fans, becomes a club hero - and this guy thinks that having black skin is something to laugh at and poke fun at. I have simply no idea why it would be funny ? Its embarrassing for the rugby player, and totally embarrassing for his employers.

ballux, hes not making fun of anyone is he?

he hasn't gone fancy dress as jazz Richards or modou barrow has he? its obviously homage to Bony and hes a fan. complete opposite of racism if you ask me.

the fact you think people must confine themselves to fancy dress people of their own race is racist in itself

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 22:09 - Dec 21 with 1510 viewsskippyjack

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 21:42 - Dec 21 by LeonisGod

More straw men than at a farmers convention lol

They're so stuck in their staunch 'old' views.. Plus making fun of a jobless person doesn't make them examples to follow either.. I'll bow out of this thread without making such patronising remarks.

(No subject) on 22:31 - Dec 21 with 1475 viewsjacktar

(No subject) on 13:54 - Dec 21 by WarwickHunt

" F*ck me - you look more like Prince Charles than I do..."

So greening up is ok. I think the Martians might have something to say about this.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

(No subject) on 00:23 - Dec 22 with 1408 viewsParlay

Mention the word black these days and people start to get twitchy. People are so programmed to be offended they jump at the merest thing.

There is a video on youtube, a stupid one at that, but certainly interesting in terms of social dynamics. A fella (white) walked through Compton and nicely says "whats up my neighbour". The amount of black people wanting to kill this guy while saying such ridiculously contradictory things as "you cant say that around here ni*ga" was unbelievable.

People are hardwired to be offended and i think they may just love getting all offended a tiny bit. There i said it.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2014 0:25]

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 01:26 - Dec 22 with 1383 viewsbluenile

The big question is.......................was Michael Jackson a racist??

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 01:59 - Dec 22 with 1361 viewsphact0rri

I have to say I'm a bit appalled by how many people don't see the problem with Blackface. It might be the generational thing, and people not understanding exactly what its history is.

Blackface was a type of troupe in comedy where people would basically make someone laugh at the sterotype of the stupid and uneducated black man. "haha... look at Blacky he can't read or write" that kind of business.

And even if someone painting their face and dressing up like a black person might seem harmless, its cultural identity is one that instils a time of hate and marginalization of people of colour. Its considered insensitive because it puts people's colour as the focal point of their identity. Bony isn't his skin or his race.

Least thats how I feel about it. Granted I hate a lot of the caricature dressings of races and cultures.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 02:07 - Dec 22 with 1353 viewsParlay

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 01:59 - Dec 22 by phact0rri

I have to say I'm a bit appalled by how many people don't see the problem with Blackface. It might be the generational thing, and people not understanding exactly what its history is.

Blackface was a type of troupe in comedy where people would basically make someone laugh at the sterotype of the stupid and uneducated black man. "haha... look at Blacky he can't read or write" that kind of business.

And even if someone painting their face and dressing up like a black person might seem harmless, its cultural identity is one that instils a time of hate and marginalization of people of colour. Its considered insensitive because it puts people's colour as the focal point of their identity. Bony isn't his skin or his race.

Least thats how I feel about it. Granted I hate a lot of the caricature dressings of races and cultures.

Id never heard of "blackface" until this thread. Didn't even realise it was a "thing".

I don't see the connection with the racist comedic troupe of the 70's and dressing up as Wilfried Bony though. There should be no correlation at all. The racist thing about that comedic troupe from what I understand anyway, wasn't the act of painting their faces, but what they did to portray the black man.

If he dressed up as a generic black man and went all stereotypical then id see the issue. But dressing up as Wilfried Bony, i just don't get it. If he chose to not dress up as Bony due to the colour of his skin, wouldn't that be racist, by making the colour of his skin be a boundary as to why he cannot pick him.

Load of nonsense really.

Forum celebrity

(No subject) on 02:19 - Dec 22 with 1343 viewsphact0rri

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 02:07 - Dec 22 by Parlay

Id never heard of "blackface" until this thread. Didn't even realise it was a "thing".

I don't see the connection with the racist comedic troupe of the 70's and dressing up as Wilfried Bony though. There should be no correlation at all. The racist thing about that comedic troupe from what I understand anyway, wasn't the act of painting their faces, but what they did to portray the black man.

If he dressed up as a generic black man and went all stereotypical then id see the issue. But dressing up as Wilfried Bony, i just don't get it. If he chose to not dress up as Bony due to the colour of his skin, wouldn't that be racist, by making the colour of his skin be a boundary as to why he cannot pick him.

Load of nonsense really.

It might not seem like an issue to someone who is white.

And I'm sorry if that sounds inconsiderate or an unfair thing to say. But honestly it can be a non issue to you, and me. But to a person of colour it might not feel that way.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2014 2:22]

(No subject) on 02:27 - Dec 22 with 1319 viewsParlay

(No subject) on 02:19 - Dec 22 by phact0rri

It might not seem like an issue to someone who is white.

And I'm sorry if that sounds inconsiderate or an unfair thing to say. But honestly it can be a non issue to you, and me. But to a person of colour it might not feel that way.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2014 2:22]

But why though?

I can understand being offended by someone pretending to be a black person and then making fun of themselves because they were black... Like the people in the 70's you refer to. Totally understandable, racism, not right, shouldn't be allowed. You wont find many disagreeing there.

But why would it be offensive to anyone black, for someone to dress up as Wilfried Bony?

As a side note, i noticed people saying "coloured" a lot in this thread, wasn't there another major faux outrage when Alan Hansen said that he is glad to see so many coloured players in the English game now, and was asked to apologise?
[Post edited 22 Dec 2014 2:29]

Forum celebrity

(No subject) on 02:47 - Dec 22 with 1307 viewsphact0rri

(No subject) on 02:27 - Dec 22 by Parlay

But why though?

I can understand being offended by someone pretending to be a black person and then making fun of themselves because they were black... Like the people in the 70's you refer to. Totally understandable, racism, not right, shouldn't be allowed. You wont find many disagreeing there.

But why would it be offensive to anyone black, for someone to dress up as Wilfried Bony?

As a side note, i noticed people saying "coloured" a lot in this thread, wasn't there another major faux outrage when Alan Hansen said that he is glad to see so many coloured players in the English game now, and was asked to apologise?
[Post edited 22 Dec 2014 2:29]

Because it DOES feel like its for a laugh. At least thats what it looked like to me when I saw the photos. it didn't seem respectful at all.

I don't know if he did it intentionally and meant to cause harm. And fairplay to you all for not seeing it if you don't understand that it can bother people. But life isn't the same for people who are of a minority. People who are looked down upon and not seen past their skin. People who are treated poorly and looked at as second class citizens. They see such a thing and it can be painful.

You are welcome to disagree with me, and feel like its nonsense-- and maybe it is to you. But there are people who do feel sad by it. People who don't see it as "dressing up as Bony" they do see it as someone who is making fun of their race.

(No subject) on 03:07 - Dec 22 with 1296 viewsParlay

(No subject) on 02:47 - Dec 22 by phact0rri

Because it DOES feel like its for a laugh. At least thats what it looked like to me when I saw the photos. it didn't seem respectful at all.

I don't know if he did it intentionally and meant to cause harm. And fairplay to you all for not seeing it if you don't understand that it can bother people. But life isn't the same for people who are of a minority. People who are looked down upon and not seen past their skin. People who are treated poorly and looked at as second class citizens. They see such a thing and it can be painful.

You are welcome to disagree with me, and feel like its nonsense-- and maybe it is to you. But there are people who do feel sad by it. People who don't see it as "dressing up as Bony" they do see it as someone who is making fun of their race.

Yes of course it was for a laugh, thats the nature of fancy dress. Men dress up as women, women dress up as men, people dress up as doctors, nurses, clowns, native american indians... None of them are making fun of doctors, nurses or indians though. The point of fancy dress is to go as something completely different to you.

Are black people in this country really seen as second class citizens though? Im not sure they are at all. This generation and the one before it are not prejudice in the slightest (broadly speaking). We have been brought up in a society where race isn't an issue, probably why the lad didn't think twice about it, its a positive thing and exactly the type of situation we are looking for surely?

I think its far more damaging to society and indeed the issue of race to be clinging onto the past. The lad has clearly not seen skin colour as an issue and the ones who have made it an issue have now brought racism into the equation when there was none. Society really needs to move on together but it seems some are determined to hold it back.

Forum celebrity

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 06:24 - Dec 22 with 1259 viewsLohengrin

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 01:59 - Dec 22 by phact0rri

You could make precisely the same point about rap, very easily. At least Minstrelsy had the benefit of some fantastic songs.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

"Blacking Up" as Bony on 09:28 - Dec 22 with 1205 viewspremierjack

I can't believe some of these comments on here. They are pathetic. I have been to fancy dress parties where people have been dressed as mr T, bob Marley, serina and Venus Williams and loads of other black people and they have never been accused o being a racist. In fact both black and white ppl thought it was fantastic.

The problem here is one person has an opinion on the matter and all the other sheep jump on the bandwagon and made it more of a deal than it really is.

If two men wen to a party and one dressed Leon Britton and the other was wilfried bony, would he be a racist??? Even tho they both dressed up as swansea city footballers??? Surely he would be the opposite to a racist as he hasn't even look at the colour of the skin... He has just seen them as two male football players, as equals??

People like to stir shit up that isn't even there
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024