Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question Time Thread. 23:21 - Jan 15 with 7407 viewsAquinas

I like David Starkey. I don't like Mehdi Hassan.
Question Time Thread. on 16:47 - Jan 16 with 1715 viewsexiledclaseboy

Question Time Thread. on 16:09 - Jan 16 by londonlisa2001

'relatively' left wing is what I said - i.e. in contrast to Hasan who is very, very right wing. He was at one point a Conservative candidate for something or other I think, but I also have read that he grew up in a very staunchly Labour household.

You are right though that he is a complete misogynist - he falls very neatly into the group of Oxbridge 'old queens' in that.

Bigot in general? Well I'm not so sure about that. He says things about race issues and so on that are sometimes ill judged or badly expressed, but ignoring the sensationalist aspects of it, it is often rooted in quite a common sense position.

Edited to add - I agree with your views in general on Question Time - it's usually populist nonsense and there are normally far better discussions on 'This Week' immediately following.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2015 16:11]

Where do you get the notion that Hassan is "right wing"? He's Ed Miliband's biographer, former political editor of the New Statesman and currently of the Huff Post. He's about to bugger off to Al Jazeera full time. As Ive acknowledged, there are contradictions between his leftism and his faith but the right hates him with a passion, as this thread amply proves.

Poll: Tory leader

Question Time Thread. on 16:48 - Jan 16 with 1714 viewsDarran

Question Time Thread. on 16:44 - Jan 16 by londonlisa2001

yes - I agree.

I don't know where the 'left' love of Hasan comes from though. If he was a white Christian and said some of the stuff he does about other religions, gay people and so on, he would be castigated.

epaul loves him.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Question Time Thread. on 16:58 - Jan 16 with 1709 viewsUxbridge

Question Time Thread. on 16:44 - Jan 16 by londonlisa2001

yes - I agree.

I don't know where the 'left' love of Hasan comes from though. If he was a white Christian and said some of the stuff he does about other religions, gay people and so on, he would be castigated.

Well I'm a leftie and I don't. I haven't spoken to many people and thought, that Mehdi Hasan chappy ... what a good egg eh. I think you might be overegging that a bit. He's a classic rabble rouser ... 2 parts truth, one part incendiary, 7 parts noise and shake violently. Ones I've spoken to are far more of the Owen Jones fanclub. He's another one who has his moments but I can't take to.

It's all a bit arbitrary, this left and right, don't you think? Especially when attmepting to categorise Starkey and Hasan. Neither really tie to a modern political party or such neat political dogma. If I really had to, I'd have pegged Starkey broadly in the orange book liberal/Libertarian camp. As for Hasan ... two thirds old school religious conservative, one third NuLabour.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Question Time Thread. on 17:04 - Jan 16 with 1697 viewsjohnlangy

Question Time Thread. on 23:34 - Jan 15 by Aquinas

I wouldn't expect anything less from you paul.

The beauty of free speech.

He's completely correct though.
Question Time Thread. on 17:04 - Jan 16 with 1697 viewslondonlisa2001

Question Time Thread. on 16:47 - Jan 16 by exiledclaseboy

Where do you get the notion that Hassan is "right wing"? He's Ed Miliband's biographer, former political editor of the New Statesman and currently of the Huff Post. He's about to bugger off to Al Jazeera full time. As Ive acknowledged, there are contradictions between his leftism and his faith but the right hates him with a passion, as this thread amply proves.

Indeed he is Miliband's biographer. He is also rabidly anti gay and anti abortion and has been less than tolerant previously on the subject of Jews and the importance of Islam vs any other religion so it really depends on the definition of left or right wing doesn't it.

The fact that some members of the right hate him is irrelevant. It falls into the category of Conservatives in my area voting Labour last election because the Conservatives had a black candidate.
Question Time Thread. on 17:10 - Jan 16 with 1688 viewslondonlisa2001

Question Time Thread. on 16:58 - Jan 16 by Uxbridge

Well I'm a leftie and I don't. I haven't spoken to many people and thought, that Mehdi Hasan chappy ... what a good egg eh. I think you might be overegging that a bit. He's a classic rabble rouser ... 2 parts truth, one part incendiary, 7 parts noise and shake violently. Ones I've spoken to are far more of the Owen Jones fanclub. He's another one who has his moments but I can't take to.

It's all a bit arbitrary, this left and right, don't you think? Especially when attmepting to categorise Starkey and Hasan. Neither really tie to a modern political party or such neat political dogma. If I really had to, I'd have pegged Starkey broadly in the orange book liberal/Libertarian camp. As for Hasan ... two thirds old school religious conservative, one third NuLabour.

I'm probably being influenced to be honest by the overwhelming left leaning support for him on social media channels.

And I do think the left / right thing is arbitrary - I've just made a similar point in response to ECB.
Question Time Thread. on 17:20 - Jan 16 with 1679 viewsVetchitBack

Question Time Thread. on 14:47 - Jan 16 by exiledclaseboy

Either Veritas or Vetch it back is Peter Hitchens and I claim my five pounds.

Thank you.

I'm grateful for people like him, Nick Cohen and David Horowitz who stand out like sore-thumbs amongst the 'trendy' sheep who slavishly follow the prevailing political zeitgeist and adhere to what Orwell called " the smelly little orthodoxies" of our time.

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Question Time Thread. on 17:23 - Jan 16 with 1671 viewsexiledclaseboy

Question Time Thread. on 17:20 - Jan 16 by VetchitBack

Thank you.

I'm grateful for people like him, Nick Cohen and David Horowitz who stand out like sore-thumbs amongst the 'trendy' sheep who slavishly follow the prevailing political zeitgeist and adhere to what Orwell called " the smelly little orthodoxies" of our time.

Yes I thought you'd be a fan of Hitchens and the others you've named.

Vive le difference eh.

Poll: Tory leader

Login to get fewer ads

Question Time Thread. on 17:36 - Jan 16 with 1645 viewsjohnlangy

Question Time Thread. on 00:10 - Jan 16 by veritas

Mehdi Hasan is a quite despicable individual. If he wasn't Muslim there's no way he'd get away with the way he acts he uses it as a cover crying racism like a pathetic victim while he bullies and spreads his vile ideology. The mainstream politicians especially that silly cow soubry were as predictable as ever bowing to the evil PC doctrine. Where as Starkey was trying to initiate a conversation that needs to be heard about what is happening within Islam but he was shutdown which was no surprise whatsoever. I fear for this Country - we won't know until it's too late. We might even be beyond that point now.

Vile ideology ? I must have missed that bit.

Perhaps it was the bit where he denounced what happened in the strongest possible terms. Or maybe it was the bit where he asked why did that Danish magazine refuse to publish a cartoon about Jesus because it would offend Christians while not being concerned about offending Muslims.

A perfectly reasonable question in my opinion.
Question Time Thread. on 18:16 - Jan 16 with 1620 viewsskippyjack

Question Time Thread. on 09:50 - Jan 16 by veritas

Extremely naive since the dawn of man we've been divided by tribe. If you look at history we were actually unified by religion in the early days and man progressed by the instrument of war right or wrong e.g. Hierarchies and order

That sign basically wants a society that has everyone looking the same being a nihilist - it's almost fascist in its own way. Pluralism has advanced the World e.g. Egyptians, Mesopotanians, Greeks

Conflict and resolution has advanced learning it is the development of mankind

That sign wants peace..
It wants respect
It wants a community
Less corruption
Wealthy people stop being delusional over eccentric megalomaniacs.. regain their souls and senses.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Question Time Thread. on 19:21 - Jan 16 with 1595 viewslibertine

If we claim to be a tolerant society and the tolerate intolerance are we no longer a tolerant society.

David Starky repeated what Hassan said about the British infidels being similar to cattle in their thoughts towards life, the British Islamic thoughts and care of cattle are not very good,

If David Starky said a similar thing about Muslims he would be named and shamed as a racist and not allowed on a panel like QT.

The manner in which the panel and audience protected hassans right to call them cattle was absurd, I really believe as pointed out on the panorama show that our PC attitude towards Islam has caused great problems for us,

I think the panellists and audience were on a different planet nobody speaks openly about islam let alone slag it off we all watch over our shoulders.

One of my daughters had her bag stolen down wind street a few weeks ago the call was taken seriously by the police until my daughter mentioned that the perps were of Asian origin, a this point the telephonist became uninterested and almost frightened to continue the call. She was a racist for becoming non interested as soon as colour became a consideration.
Question Time Thread. on 19:42 - Jan 16 with 1579 viewsWarwickHunt

Question Time Thread. on 17:23 - Jan 16 by exiledclaseboy

Yes I thought you'd be a fan of Hitchens and the others you've named.

Vive le difference eh.

Nick Cohen? Really? Like Aarononvitch and the late, great Chris (not to be confused with his demented brother, Peter) Hitchens, he rises some distance above most of the arse-numbingly predictable commentators on the left.

The other two are a pair of swivel-eyed, dribbling c*nts, granted.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2015 19:45]
Question Time Thread. on 20:00 - Jan 16 with 1567 viewsNookiejack

Question Time Thread. on 00:10 - Jan 16 by veritas

Mehdi Hasan is a quite despicable individual. If he wasn't Muslim there's no way he'd get away with the way he acts he uses it as a cover crying racism like a pathetic victim while he bullies and spreads his vile ideology. The mainstream politicians especially that silly cow soubry were as predictable as ever bowing to the evil PC doctrine. Where as Starkey was trying to initiate a conversation that needs to be heard about what is happening within Islam but he was shutdown which was no surprise whatsoever. I fear for this Country - we won't know until it's too late. We might even be beyond that point now.

Re: 'what is happening in Islam'

Take a look at Robert Fisk's article in the Independent about the 'Wahabi' branch of Islam - who seem to be closely integrated with the Saudi royal family.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-arabias-history-of-hyp

This branch seems to have a hardline interpretation of Islam compared to most moderate Muslims.

I assume this is the sort of thing Starkey was alluding to.
Question Time Thread. on 07:26 - Jan 17 with 1515 viewsLord_Bony

Question Time Thread. on 13:05 - Jan 16 by dgt73

There is no evidence there is life out in space, especially intelligent life.

If you believe we are the only intelligent life form in the galaxy/universe my friend then that's fine...

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Question Time Thread. on 08:58 - Jan 17 with 1504 viewsdgt73

Question Time Thread. on 07:26 - Jan 17 by Lord_Bony

If you believe we are the only intelligent life form in the galaxy/universe my friend then that's fine...

Until the little green men land ( metaphorically), i will not take any view.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Question Time Thread. on 09:09 - Jan 17 with 1496 viewsLord_Bony

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Question Time Thread. on 09:28 - Jan 17 with 1482 viewsVetchitBack

Question Time Thread. on 19:42 - Jan 16 by WarwickHunt

Nick Cohen? Really? Like Aarononvitch and the late, great Chris (not to be confused with his demented brother, Peter) Hitchens, he rises some distance above most of the arse-numbingly predictable commentators on the left.

The other two are a pair of swivel-eyed, dribbling c*nts, granted.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2015 19:45]

I can't quite decide if you're saying Cohen is the king of the "arse numbingly predictable commentators on the left" or just ABOVE them?

Question Time Thread. on 09:54 - Jan 17 with 1466 viewsWarwickHunt

Question Time Thread. on 09:28 - Jan 17 by VetchitBack

I can't quite decide if you're saying Cohen is the king of the "arse numbingly predictable commentators on the left" or just ABOVE them?

You're thicker than I thought then.
Question Time Thread. on 22:13 - Jan 29 with 1368 viewsAquinas

Anyone watching tonight?

It will be interesting to see what our northern cousins in Wrexham have to say.

The panellists are:

Peter Hain
Sajid Javid
Rhun ap Iorwerth
Germaine Greer
Kate Malby
Question Time Thread. on 22:28 - Jan 29 with 1364 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Question Time Thread. on 22:13 - Jan 29 by Aquinas

Anyone watching tonight?

It will be interesting to see what our northern cousins in Wrexham have to say.

The panellists are:

Peter Hain
Sajid Javid
Rhun ap Iorwerth
Germaine Greer
Kate Malby

I'll be watching

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Question Time Thread. on 22:41 - Jan 29 with 1354 viewsItchySphincter

How long before the orange one tells us about his childhood growing up in apartheid South Africa or Greer distances herself from the "we didn't burn Bras" route?

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Question Time Thread. on 19:37 - Feb 5 with 1261 viewsAquinas

George Galloway on tonight in the constituency wiith the most jewish people in the UK.

Deliberately provocative? Probably.
Question Time Thread. on 19:41 - Feb 5 with 1257 viewsVetchitBack

Question Time Thread. on 09:54 - Jan 17 by WarwickHunt

You're thicker than I thought then.

You should try using insults less. They may carry some weight then.

Question Time Thread. on 22:41 - Feb 5 with 1194 viewsskippyjack

I'd love to say.. why are we funding ISIS education?.. isn't that particularly dangerous?

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Question Time Thread. on 22:43 - Feb 5 with 1191 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Question Time Thread. on 19:37 - Feb 5 by Aquinas

George Galloway on tonight in the constituency wiith the most jewish people in the UK.

Deliberately provocative? Probably.

They've set the bait , bbc hoping GG will get a pasting .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024