Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Monk laments Gylfi and Bartley.. 14:34 - Jan 25 with 2562 viewsicecoldjack

.. not sure if he felt the need to pin blame onto anyone but in fairness to him it's a fair assessment .

Do you think Monk publically dressing down his players in the press is starting to pee a few of them off?
We know that many managers will never publically criticize playing staff but Monk has done it quite a few times already.

The players are normally the first ones to be harsh on themselves after dropping a bollok do they need to read it in the press from the manager as well ?

It didn't seem to work with Jonjo that's for sure ! lol

Thoughts? should it be kept in house or does pointing out players failings in the press get the required effect ?

Monk laments Gylfi and Bartley.. on 17:16 - Jan 25 with 567 viewsicecoldjack

Monk laments Gylfi and Bartley.. on 17:00 - Jan 25 by johnlangy

That's the way I read it. Saying that Kyle was a bit hard done by but maybe should have been better prepared for the long ball is hardly stinging criticism.

I don't think anyone said it was stinging criticism in fairness.

And like i said in the OP Monks assessment was fair enough, the question is does it do him any favours long term to point the finger at his players when we lose.

He pulled jonjo in the press and that had the effect of jonjo getting a 4 match ban, so it didn't have any desired effect.

Monk saying Kyle should have done better is perhaps putting un wanted pressure on a player that might already be feeling a bit of strain, saying "kyle should have seen the danger coming but didn't deal with it" is having a dig no matter which way you dress it up later on.

Does he really need to say anything at all RE Kyles inability to deal with a high ball, do other managers look at that and think "ths bloke has weakness in this area that we can exploit"

Why highlight such things, it could be perceived as doing the opposition scouts work for them!

Siggy is carrying an injury, the opposition will stand on his foot in the first 5 mins,jonjo needs to cut out picking up silly cards,meaning the opposition will wind him up all game, kyle struggled to deal with a high ball and should do better, maybe kyle has a weakness defending high balls.

Every opposition manager will be tuned in to what garry will say next !
Monk laments Gylfi and Bartley.. on 19:55 - Jan 25 with 498 viewsstAteSwan

I understand the point here, but it might be worthwhile to listen to the actual questions that were asked. We're talking about Journalists here...its their job to make a story out of nothing.

With the press after the game, Monk was asked about the two red cards. He mentioned very clearly that he did not agree with either decision, but that Bartley was the last defender, so there's always a risk, and the ref couldn't wait to get the red card out of his pocket for Gylfi.

The next question was whether or not he had spoken to the players about the incidents. He said that he had.

Being the Press, the writer combined those quotes with his earlier quote about how you have to change the game plan when you go down a man so early, and it became a magical story that made Monk sound like he was roundly critical of the players, when in reality, they were simple comments that were preceded by an attack on the ref's decision making.
Monk laments Gylfi and Bartley.. on 20:22 - Jan 25 with 489 viewsPrivate_Partz

Monk laments Gylfi and Bartley.. on 16:20 - Jan 25 by icecoldjack

Like i said in OP Monks comments are a fair assessment, the issue here is what effect it has on his players, other more esteemed managers don't do it.

plenty could argue"but he said this and he said that" but the truth is that he did point the finger to two of his players.

In a man's world(and womens for the PC ) taking a bit of a bollok!ng is part and parcel unfortunately footballers nowadays seem to look for any excuse to drop off the pace if they feel hard done by.

Another factor here is that maybe Monk knows his players well enough to be able to call them out on such things,both in the dressing room and in the media, the flip side to that is he did this with Jonjo Shelvey who re paid his words with a 4 match ban,meaning an unfit Siggy had to play while injured .

Generally managers don't name names, there is a reason for this, Monk perhaps trying to re invent the wheel here will IMO undermine him longer term.

Ive said many times before, sometimes he just needs to talk a bit less.

I believe it is inexperience showing here again. I think criticising players in the press is a no no. In Siggy's case I think he was particularly wrong to say he was reacting to a previous tackle which IMHO has ruined any chance of an appeal as it would now suggest he thought there was a revenge / malicious intent in the tackle.
I hope he learns from this but it has happened a few times now.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Monk laments Gylfi and Bartley.. on 20:52 - Jan 25 with 471 viewstomdickharry

Monk laments Gylfi and Bartley.. on 14:46 - Jan 25 by icecoldjack

I certainly don't know what the the positive could be, i know his assessment is fair but managers don't tend to rub salt into the wounds of his players, it seems to be more a deflection tactic than anything else.

Monk said “When you go down to ten men so early, all the preparation you do in the week goes out of the window.
“And it’s meant we’ve gone out of the cup which is very disappointing because we wanted a run in this competition.”

"“Kyle should have seen the danger coming. All they were looking for was long ball over the top and centre halves need to get the right positioning early in a game and Kyle didn’t."

Im notsure what the point of it is, making a mug out of one of your players can't be healthy, though in fairness to Garry you can't argue with his words!

Monk not mention any players adversely or otherwise in public about his performance in a match.Poor judgement.
Monk laments Gylfi and Bartley.. on 08:58 - Jan 26 with 431 viewsjacktar

Monk laments Gylfi and Bartley.. on 15:01 - Jan 25 by exiledclaseboy

Of course if Monk steadfastly refuse to make any public criticism of his players when they've been as lamentably awful as they have been in the last two games this thread would be about how he's too soft on his underperforming squad.

Ho hum.

As per a certain Mr Laudrup in his latter days.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024