Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
what would american investors want 10:21 - Jan 28 with 10387 viewslibertine

is it a bad thing that the Americans are buying a big lump of our club.

what would they do?

as ive said on here many times we are in a very special place we are in wales and the only premier club, would they want o build it up?

something has to happen as we are in a bit of a panic alarm state

what would american investors want on 15:34 - Jan 28 with 1322 viewsperchrockjack

which is why I don't believe the current board would sell our club down the river.
People have short memories

IF THE yanks make money out of our club then bully for them and same if the current Board do.
There is no evidence as such that our club would or is in danger and I am astonished people cannot see THAT.

Im also not astonished that envy is a large part of the argument against.

We either go upwards or we go back to being small time forever and give up this Premier business. It could be said Swansea doesn't have the mentality to become Big, successful and forward looking. So many are looking for negatives and for people to knock down; its always been thus.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

what would american investors want on 15:50 - Jan 28 with 1294 viewsAnotherJohn

what would american investors want on 15:34 - Jan 28 by perchrockjack

which is why I don't believe the current board would sell our club down the river.

IF THE yanks make money out of our club then bully for them and same if the current Board do.
There is no evidence as such that our club would or is in danger and I am astonished people cannot see THAT.

We either go upwards or we go back to being small time forever and give up this Premier business. It could be said Swansea doesn't have the mentality to become Big, successful and forward looking. So many are looking for negatives and for people to knock down; its always been thus.

I don't like the sound of loans. I'd be much more comfortable with owners who were in it for prestige or even ego, as compared with expecting to turn a profit.
what would american investors want on 15:52 - Jan 28 with 1277 viewsParlay

I don't think you fully appreciate the situation.

Its not making some money on the side as a reward for a good job. It is taking Swansea City's money.

There is every evidence our club is in danger.

Wake up.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

what would american investors want on 15:57 - Jan 28 with 1286 viewsUxbridge

what would american investors want on 13:03 - Jan 28 by monmouth

Yeah, these particular two yanks have a track record of being totally selfless and giving all their money to worthwhile sporting causes.

F**k. A. Duck.

It would be the end of the whole founding ethos of our phoenix club. I'm astonished people cant see this.

There is a good question above, why not a share buyback using the bony cash. Strengthens the trust by reducing the shares in issue and buys out sme/satisfies other of any greedy c**ts on the board. Feasible? Anyone know? Where's shaky when you don't need him?

Legal? Sure. Feasible? Sure. Practical? Hmm. In the best interests of the club? Depends.

I wouldn't be particularly happy if the club's best idea of spending £10m of the Bony money was to buy out Dineen and the Clog instead of stadium expansion. A much smaller figure? That's a different question.

I still can't believe some people are believing the investment line. The club gets nowt. In fact any money coming in is likely to be in the form of loans, which we've been deriding out little neighbours about for years. Some people really need to learn their history.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

what would american investors want on 15:57 - Jan 28 with 1284 viewsUxbridge

That really is hopelessly naive.

what would american investors want on 16:10 - Jan 28 with 1250 viewscontroversial_jack

The board is not like it used to be when they had the clubs best interest at heart. They are getting to big for their boots. They do not listen to what the trust has to say
what would american investors want on 16:17 - Jan 28 with 1248 viewsTenkosBlondeWig

what would american investors want on 14:19 - Jan 28 by Private_Partz

I am no financial expert as my credit card bills will testify so I tend to steer clear of all the technical discussion going on in relation to this.
I have a question however.
Given an investor wants to make a profit then where would such profit be made in relation to the club?
I would think if it all goes tits up then all that would be left is the stadium land (assuming we own the it by then) and a few highly paid players holding out for their wages.
The stadium could be sold for building but that would probably go for affordable housing. I would imagine the return would be more or less the same as the original sum used to purchase the club. It could even be a sizeable loss.
It seems to me that the only way any profit can be made is in supporting the clubs finances and retaining top flight status. Even then any profit would be minimal. Any views?

I am with you on this one

£30m investment for what?

Whatever way you look it these days a football club like ours does not make enough money for these type of people to make significant amounts

Perhaps they just want make a name for themselves in the UK ? I dunno
what would american investors want on 16:17 - Jan 28 with 1247 viewsMervyn

American, Malaysian their all the same....PLEASE MOVE ON GO ELSEWHERE,

We can manage quite well without you

INVESTMENT MY ARSE............KEEP OUT,
Login to get fewer ads

what would american investors want on 16:24 - Jan 28 with 1233 viewsGeoffThom

It's already been said the boys running the club cannot go on forever at some point they will want out and if they get a payday for it good for them they deserve it they stuck their necks out and had a go for the club and I for one aplaud them because there was no one else stepping up to the plate as for the yanks they want to buy a prem club not a champ club or a league one club a prem club unless there's a big line of potential multi millionaires queuing up we've have to seriously take it on board and push on to a different level
what would american investors want on 16:25 - Jan 28 with 1233 viewslondonlisa2001

what would american investors want on 15:57 - Jan 28 by Uxbridge

Legal? Sure. Feasible? Sure. Practical? Hmm. In the best interests of the club? Depends.

I wouldn't be particularly happy if the club's best idea of spending £10m of the Bony money was to buy out Dineen and the Clog instead of stadium expansion. A much smaller figure? That's a different question.

I still can't believe some people are believing the investment line. The club gets nowt. In fact any money coming in is likely to be in the form of loans, which we've been deriding out little neighbours about for years. Some people really need to learn their history.

If a single penny of the club's money is spent buying back shares from Dineen or the mouthy one, I for one will never again put any money into the club's coffers.

It's getting to the point now though where part of me just thinks we should allow them to sell and get shot of them. After all, if this January is a pointer towards the way this club is going (sell our better players, get sod all in to replace them, have no firm plans for expansion of the ground, tread water and desperately try to fall over the line marked 'stay in the PL for another year' while paying large dividends, large salaries to people that do a bad job and to tosser players who have a bigger ego than talent, while charging £45 a ticket) then sod them all.

At least can we please for the love of God, buy a left back and a midfielder...
what would american investors want on 16:25 - Jan 28 with 1233 viewsfbreath

How much money would need to be invested for us to move to the next level.

Will these new major shareholders be prepared to spend that sort of money for fun. Based on what they have done in previous sports organisations they have been involved in I guess not.

Are they ethical business people

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

what would american investors want on 16:31 - Jan 28 with 1223 viewsTenkosBlondeWig

what would american investors want on 16:25 - Jan 28 by fbreath

How much money would need to be invested for us to move to the next level.

Will these new major shareholders be prepared to spend that sort of money for fun. Based on what they have done in previous sports organisations they have been involved in I guess not.

Are they ethical business people

When you say move to the next level what do you mean?

We have been finishing near half way or above for most seasons so are you saying challenging for Europe??

We are not equipped for that unless we have Man City the investments. These guys do not have that sort of money and Financial Fair pLay will not allow it now
what would american investors want on 16:45 - Jan 28 with 1202 viewsfbreath

what would american investors want on 16:31 - Jan 28 by TenkosBlondeWig

When you say move to the next level what do you mean?

We have been finishing near half way or above for most seasons so are you saying challenging for Europe??

We are not equipped for that unless we have Man City the investments. These guys do not have that sort of money and Financial Fair pLay will not allow it now

We got into Europe through the back door, though winning the capital one cup was quite an achievement.

Next level for is getting to top 6 or thereabouts. Do you think we will finnish the season where we are now?

what would american investors want on 16:45 - Jan 28 with 1201 viewsdgt73

what would american investors want on 16:25 - Jan 28 by londonlisa2001

If a single penny of the club's money is spent buying back shares from Dineen or the mouthy one, I for one will never again put any money into the club's coffers.

It's getting to the point now though where part of me just thinks we should allow them to sell and get shot of them. After all, if this January is a pointer towards the way this club is going (sell our better players, get sod all in to replace them, have no firm plans for expansion of the ground, tread water and desperately try to fall over the line marked 'stay in the PL for another year' while paying large dividends, large salaries to people that do a bad job and to tosser players who have a bigger ego than talent, while charging £45 a ticket) then sod them all.

At least can we please for the love of God, buy a left back and a midfielder...

If you don't want to spend your money at the club that's up to you. There will be someone else to take your place. That's life....and have you ever spoken to the mouthy one as you call him.?

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

what would american investors want on 16:47 - Jan 28 with 1200 viewsblobby2

The £30 mill "investment" is money to purchase the shares, this goes straight into the pockets of the directors who sell those shares, not a penny goes to the club. The investors have offered to loan us £20 mill at 2% interest. In the scale of things that's not much of an investment and smacks of the road taken by our noisy neighbours.

on the north bank in 64 currently in 2 seats in the upper east and proudly supporting Wales ONLY premier league team. Prosser is a twonk!

what would american investors want on 16:52 - Jan 28 with 1107 viewslondonlisa2001

what would american investors want on 16:45 - Jan 28 by dgt73

If you don't want to spend your money at the club that's up to you. There will be someone else to take your place. That's life....and have you ever spoken to the mouthy one as you call him.?

Indeed there will.

Although, of course, there may not be so many people to take my place if we find ourselves back in League 1 or 2.

And no I don't believe I've had the pleasure. He was probably too busy speaking to any tabloid journalist that would give him a couple of column inches ...

I assume that you think it's an excellent use of the club's money if we were to use it to buy back shares from a couple of our shareholders do you?
what would american investors want on 16:56 - Jan 28 with 1095 viewsjacksinceever

what would american investors want on 13:59 - Jan 28 by Private_Partz

Not all new investment is good but I agree with you that most people would sell up if say 50k can make 5m at a stroke. Just because most would do this does not mean we should say 'good on them'. We should be making sure that our club is secure for the future. A supporters perspective is different from those holding multiple shares in the club.

At the end of the day the only part of the club we have any say in is the shares owned by the Trust. If the directors sell and walk away with their pockets lined, as much as it will upset us all, it is their choice.
The Trust with a very small share will have minimal influence on the future of the club and the only hope we can have is that the new investors intentions are genuine.
If not, it was good while it lasted.
That said I cannot see the point of investors buying into any business and running it down, which would in theory devalue their shares.
The only way they can continue to take a large slice of profit out of the club, is if the club continues to be successful.
what would american investors want on 17:01 - Jan 28 with 1084 viewsfbreath

what would american investors want on 16:56 - Jan 28 by jacksinceever

At the end of the day the only part of the club we have any say in is the shares owned by the Trust. If the directors sell and walk away with their pockets lined, as much as it will upset us all, it is their choice.
The Trust with a very small share will have minimal influence on the future of the club and the only hope we can have is that the new investors intentions are genuine.
If not, it was good while it lasted.
That said I cannot see the point of investors buying into any business and running it down, which would in theory devalue their shares.
The only way they can continue to take a large slice of profit out of the club, is if the club continues to be successful.

These are business people who want to make a profit and be successful just like Vincent Tan.

It's what happens if we should go down a division and suddenly the money coming in isn't what it was. What will they do then.

Someone said in an earlier post that Huw has stated that the current directors wont' be around for ever. From my understanding these people intersted in buying out other share holders are not kids themselves.

what would american investors want on 17:08 - Jan 28 with 1072 viewsmonmouth

what would american investors want on 16:52 - Jan 28 by londonlisa2001

Indeed there will.

Although, of course, there may not be so many people to take my place if we find ourselves back in League 1 or 2.

And no I don't believe I've had the pleasure. He was probably too busy speaking to any tabloid journalist that would give him a couple of column inches ...

I assume that you think it's an excellent use of the club's money if we were to use it to buy back shares from a couple of our shareholders do you?

...but any course of action is not in isolation. It has to be judged against competing alternatives. If enriching the current shareholders was done whilst rewriting the constitution to protect the future, increasing the trust ownership proportion significantly, perhaps even to critical mass, and barring the door to corporate raiders now and in the future, would you dismiss that out of hand because dome lucky and possibly unpalatable (I've never met them) individuals could satisfy their lust for more money.

That's essentially what I meant by 'feasible'.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

what would american investors want on 17:10 - Jan 28 with 1063 viewsLeonisGod

It's almost impossible to predict imo. There are examples of good management by new investors, examples of investors getting cold feet and the cash drying up, examples of bad management, examples of investors who keep a low profile through to egomaniacs who want to pick the team.

The main concern about the links so far is that the Americans mentioned do not have a savoury track record at all.
what would american investors want on 17:14 - Jan 28 with 1049 viewslondonlisa2001

what would american investors want on 17:08 - Jan 28 by monmouth

...but any course of action is not in isolation. It has to be judged against competing alternatives. If enriching the current shareholders was done whilst rewriting the constitution to protect the future, increasing the trust ownership proportion significantly, perhaps even to critical mass, and barring the door to corporate raiders now and in the future, would you dismiss that out of hand because dome lucky and possibly unpalatable (I've never met them) individuals could satisfy their lust for more money.

That's essentially what I meant by 'feasible'.

no, I understand the point and the reason for the suggestion, but my personal view would remain the same.

Weakening our team to enrich individual shareholders is absolutely not acceptable.

The same shareholders that lest we forget would have been screaming blue murders about Petty. I for one, would fail to see the difference between what he did (sack all players, lower costs and try to make himself a bit of money) to the club doing that now. And I would hope that if there was any suggestion that we should do that, people would again start marching against it and would aim to hound them out of town the same way as Petty was hounded out.
what would american investors want on 17:14 - Jan 28 with 1047 viewsPrivate_Partz

what would american investors want on 16:17 - Jan 28 by TenkosBlondeWig

I am with you on this one

£30m investment for what?

Whatever way you look it these days a football club like ours does not make enough money for these type of people to make significant amounts

Perhaps they just want make a name for themselves in the UK ? I dunno

I don't know either.
If that is the case we could both be pulling in the same direction. Supporters for the glory and the investor / lender for the small profit and the kudos. That would be a chink of light for me but it is still one heck of a gamble.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2015 17:23]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

what would american investors want on 17:20 - Jan 28 with 1036 viewsjacksinceever

what would american investors want on 17:14 - Jan 28 by londonlisa2001

no, I understand the point and the reason for the suggestion, but my personal view would remain the same.

Weakening our team to enrich individual shareholders is absolutely not acceptable.

The same shareholders that lest we forget would have been screaming blue murders about Petty. I for one, would fail to see the difference between what he did (sack all players, lower costs and try to make himself a bit of money) to the club doing that now. And I would hope that if there was any suggestion that we should do that, people would again start marching against it and would aim to hound them out of town the same way as Petty was hounded out.

Surely though, they may be able to make a smaller, quicker buck, by selling players, the ground, etc, or alternatively make a lot more money in the long run by allowed the club to grow and become more successful ? The second option seems better to me
what would american investors want on 17:21 - Jan 28 with 1032 viewsUxbridge

what would american investors want on 17:14 - Jan 28 by londonlisa2001

It's an intriguing parallel but not one I would necessarily make.

In the same way that I was ok with the club buying back Mel's shares then in principle I'm ok with doing so for others ... All helps the Trust holding. Depends on price for me though, and personal opinion is that any beyond the Mel price would be quite distasteful.

what would american investors want on 17:25 - Jan 28 with 1017 viewsstAteSwan

More and More Americans are buying shares of overseas clubs these days. For many, its their chance to get their name out, and make money. For the clubs, it's often a chance to provide a wealthy backer for a club that could use the capital.

As an American, my question here would be why they chose Swansea. It's not like there were not other richer clubs available...and it's not like John Moores doesn't have the cash to buy a Champions League level club, so the question becomes why.

I wouldn't want the club to sell until we knew the motives.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024