Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Buy the Stadium or Build New. 17:38 - Jan 28 with 4152 viewsA_Fans_Dad

I wonder if feasibilty studies and cost analysis has been done between buying the Liberty and building a new stadium.
Some possible advantages of building new.
A larger Stadium.
Better Infrastructure ie Roads and especially Parking.
Could attract EU and National Lottery funding, even possibly AM cash.
Would not require expansion anytime in the near future.
Would employ workers in this area.

As an aside knocking down the Liberty would allow the building of Houses/Flats, something that Swansea is apparently in dire of.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2015 22:00]
Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 17:57 - Jan 28 with 1823 viewsParlay

I dont think there is a need to do either but given the choice, build a new for sure.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:01 - Jan 28 with 1810 viewsDr_Winston

Building a new stadium to replace one that's less than ten years old makes perfect sense.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:04 - Jan 28 with 1795 viewsDyfnant

There's no 'dire need' for housing in any of swansea, especially the East

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:05 - Jan 28 with 1789 viewsParlay

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:01 - Jan 28 by Dr_Winston

Building a new stadium to replace one that's less than ten years old makes perfect sense.

If they cost the same then surely it is better to buy something that is brand new rather than something poorly designed and expensive to improve for a similar price?

The quote for expansion was £15m wasnt it? Thats about £40m all up.

Forum celebrity

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:05 - Jan 28 with 1788 viewslondonlisa2001

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 17:57 - Jan 28 by Parlay

I dont think there is a need to do either but given the choice, build a new for sure.

Thought you were supposed to be in property?

So you'd rather spend c.£60m ish to build a new 30,000 seater stadium from scratch, rather than c. £15m to expand the one we have by 10,000 seats?

Great news for the taxpayers of Swansea as well - left with a fabulous white elephant to fund for evermore.

Edited to say - I didn't see the bit about 'buying' being necessary. Don't buy, expand and renegotiate is the answer. Even if we did buy though - it wouldn't cost £25m.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2015 18:07]
Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:11 - Jan 28 with 1755 viewsParlay

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:05 - Jan 28 by londonlisa2001

Thought you were supposed to be in property?

So you'd rather spend c.£60m ish to build a new 30,000 seater stadium from scratch, rather than c. £15m to expand the one we have by 10,000 seats?

Great news for the taxpayers of Swansea as well - left with a fabulous white elephant to fund for evermore.

Edited to say - I didn't see the bit about 'buying' being necessary. Don't buy, expand and renegotiate is the answer. Even if we did buy though - it wouldn't cost £25m.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2015 18:07]

Then you thought correctly.

Who said spend £60m? If you read my post you would see that I said "if they cost similar". Did i not?

To buy the stadium would cost in the region of £25m. To expand would cost in the region of £15m.

So given that or buy a new one that can be designed more befitting if the modern era and demands of Premier League football then I choose that one.

Not difficult.

The practicality on the other hand is another debate all together.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2015 18:12]

Forum celebrity

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:12 - Jan 28 with 1749 viewsDyfnant

The last one cost £27M and the council owned the land, pie in the sky thinking there'll ever be a new one

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:15 - Jan 28 with 1733 viewslondonlisa2001

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:11 - Jan 28 by Parlay

Then you thought correctly.

Who said spend £60m? If you read my post you would see that I said "if they cost similar". Did i not?

To buy the stadium would cost in the region of £25m. To expand would cost in the region of £15m.

So given that or buy a new one that can be designed more befitting if the modern era and demands of Premier League football then I choose that one.

Not difficult.

The practicality on the other hand is another debate all together.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2015 18:12]

Build a new 30,000 stadium for £40m? You're joking - it cost £27m to build the one we're in and that was 10 years ago and didn't include the price of land.

And it wouldn't cost £25m but I don't think we should buy it anyway.

And there's nothing wrong with the stadium in filling the demands of the Premier League other than it's too small.
Login to get fewer ads

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:19 - Jan 28 with 1714 viewsParlay

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:15 - Jan 28 by londonlisa2001

Build a new 30,000 stadium for £40m? You're joking - it cost £27m to build the one we're in and that was 10 years ago and didn't include the price of land.

And it wouldn't cost £25m but I don't think we should buy it anyway.

And there's nothing wrong with the stadium in filling the demands of the Premier League other than it's too small.

Like i said, if they cost similar.

Ive never built a stadium before funnily enough. Id imagine a 30,000 stadium would cost about £40m to built though yes, plus land.

The stadium wasn't designed with expansion in mind, it is therefor more expensive to expand. That is the problem with the stadium, and its a pretty damn big one.

Forum celebrity

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:24 - Jan 28 with 1686 viewsNeath_Jack

I'll stick this in this thread, as it's sort of on topic.

Considering we like to whore ourselves about as a local/community club, i think the decision to give the eventual extension(s) of the stadium to a company from Ireland instead of a local contractor is a c*nts trick too. Plenty of able and interested companies in this area who could deliver this project.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:28 - Jan 28 with 1674 viewsairedale

A new stadium imo would be a good prospect for us if the cash was available especially for 2 reasons.

Firstly a new stadium could be built to be expandable, and secondly be located where there wouldn't be such a detrimental social impact on match days.

Pie in the sky though probably.
Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:28 - Jan 28 with 1672 viewslondonlisa2001

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:19 - Jan 28 by Parlay

Like i said, if they cost similar.

Ive never built a stadium before funnily enough. Id imagine a 30,000 stadium would cost about £40m to built though yes, plus land.

The stadium wasn't designed with expansion in mind, it is therefor more expensive to expand. That is the problem with the stadium, and its a pretty damn big one.

£40m? You are having a laugh. Liverpool's new additional capacity (10,000 seats ish?) is costing £150m.

And the £15m expansion cost takes into consideration that the current stadium can't be easily expanded, so it's not an additional problem once that has been budgeted for.

It's pointless saying 'if they cost similar' when they so transparently don't.
Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:30 - Jan 28 with 1662 viewslondonlisa2001

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:28 - Jan 28 by airedale

A new stadium imo would be a good prospect for us if the cash was available especially for 2 reasons.

Firstly a new stadium could be built to be expandable, and secondly be located where there wouldn't be such a detrimental social impact on match days.

Pie in the sky though probably.

the one we've got is expandable - that's why we are putting an extra 10,000 capacity onto it.

It's just not easily expandable. But how many seats do you want? We have plans for up to 34,000 - I cannot see us ever go above that.
Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:33 - Jan 28 with 1645 viewsParlay

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:28 - Jan 28 by londonlisa2001

£40m? You are having a laugh. Liverpool's new additional capacity (10,000 seats ish?) is costing £150m.

And the £15m expansion cost takes into consideration that the current stadium can't be easily expanded, so it's not an additional problem once that has been budgeted for.

It's pointless saying 'if they cost similar' when they so transparently don't.

Yes £40m Lisa. Calm down woman. If you disagree then that is fine, I'm not asking you to agree with me.

It is my view that it would cost very similar to buy a new stadium than buy the existing one and expand it to its current plans. I believe the Cardiff City Stadium cost £45m and was considered over budget.

I didnt say the £15m didn't take into consideration it couldn't be expanded. The point being if we do need to expand further in this stadium then we will yet again have to pay over the odds to do so. If we need to expand in a stadium designed for easy expansion then we wont.

Ive simply stated, if they cost similar and it is feasible then buying new is obviously better. You dont think it will cost similar. Great, good for you.

But the discussion is pointless because it wont happen.

Forum celebrity

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:37 - Jan 28 with 1629 viewsairedale

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:30 - Jan 28 by londonlisa2001

the one we've got is expandable - that's why we are putting an extra 10,000 capacity onto it.

It's just not easily expandable. But how many seats do you want? We have plans for up to 34,000 - I cannot see us ever go above that.

I was under the impression from previous discussion on here, that the stadium could not be expanded, and that an increase in seating ['expansion'] will be achieved by hanging a new , external structure, over the existing seating.

If you wanted to go to say 75,000 seats, then you'd have to knock it down and start again.
Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:43 - Jan 28 with 1607 viewslondonlisa2001

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:33 - Jan 28 by Parlay

Yes £40m Lisa. Calm down woman. If you disagree then that is fine, I'm not asking you to agree with me.

It is my view that it would cost very similar to buy a new stadium than buy the existing one and expand it to its current plans. I believe the Cardiff City Stadium cost £45m and was considered over budget.

I didnt say the £15m didn't take into consideration it couldn't be expanded. The point being if we do need to expand further in this stadium then we will yet again have to pay over the odds to do so. If we need to expand in a stadium designed for easy expansion then we wont.

Ive simply stated, if they cost similar and it is feasible then buying new is obviously better. You dont think it will cost similar. Great, good for you.

We wouldn't ever have a scenario where we put more than 32,000 seats in this stadium so the £15m should be it.

And the CCS cost c. £50m for construction. There was also an additional £10m or so fit out cost.

The whole development cost over £100m (including link roads / hotel / retail etc which we would need to do for a brand new stadium).

So if we did our for £40m we would really be miracle workers.

But you're right. It won't happen.
Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:45 - Jan 28 with 1596 viewslondonlisa2001

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:37 - Jan 28 by airedale

I was under the impression from previous discussion on here, that the stadium could not be expanded, and that an increase in seating ['expansion'] will be achieved by hanging a new , external structure, over the existing seating.

If you wanted to go to say 75,000 seats, then you'd have to knock it down and start again.

that is the way we are doing it (same as at Anfield). I'm just pointing out that we are expanding the stadium, so to say it can't be expanded isn't correct. It cannot be expanded on existing foundations, that is all.

And you're right re 75,000 seats. But then, virtually every stadium in the country couldn't be expanded to that.

And I have to say, that I don't think we'll ever be needing that.
Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:49 - Jan 28 with 1589 viewssully49

Where would we build a new stadium if we wanted to move, even though we don't, as I believe the Velindre site has already been earmarked for housing.

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:50 - Jan 28 with 1585 viewsairedale

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:45 - Jan 28 by londonlisa2001

that is the way we are doing it (same as at Anfield). I'm just pointing out that we are expanding the stadium, so to say it can't be expanded isn't correct. It cannot be expanded on existing foundations, that is all.

And you're right re 75,000 seats. But then, virtually every stadium in the country couldn't be expanded to that.

And I have to say, that I don't think we'll ever be needing that.

Yes, but the reason we have got a stadium that cannot be expanded, is that there will never be a need for the Swans or Ospreys to require more that 20,0000 seats.
Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:57 - Jan 28 with 1558 viewslondonlisa2001

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:50 - Jan 28 by airedale

Yes, but the reason we have got a stadium that cannot be expanded, is that there will never be a need for the Swans or Ospreys to require more that 20,0000 seats.

The reason we have a stadium for 20,000 is that the grants were not available for the stadium at a bigger capacity.

It isn't expandable because we had no money to pay for that.
Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 19:07 - Jan 28 with 1527 viewsmax936

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:24 - Jan 28 by Neath_Jack

I'll stick this in this thread, as it's sort of on topic.

Considering we like to whore ourselves about as a local/community club, i think the decision to give the eventual extension(s) of the stadium to a company from Ireland instead of a local contractor is a c*nts trick too. Plenty of able and interested companies in this area who could deliver this project.

Andrew Scott built Parc y Scarlets, they didn't do a bad job by all accounts, keep it local for me as well.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 19:08 - Jan 28 with 1523 viewsdgt73

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:33 - Jan 28 by Parlay

Are you on drugs Go on have a guess how much a 30 000 stadium would cost to build......

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 19:11 - Jan 28 with 1509 viewsParlay

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 19:08 - Jan 28 by dgt73

Are you on drugs Go on have a guess how much a 30 000 stadium would cost to build......

No i am not. you?

I already have if you could read. £40-£45m. Same as the CCS. But as ive said, ive never built one before. Have you?

Forum celebrity

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 19:12 - Jan 28 with 1500 viewsairedale

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 18:57 - Jan 28 by londonlisa2001

The reason we have a stadium for 20,000 is that the grants were not available for the stadium at a bigger capacity.

It isn't expandable because we had no money to pay for that.

Oh right. I always wondered why they didn't build an expandable stadium. An expandable stadium, initially containing 20,000 seats, cost would have been prohibitive. Not being a civil engineer that was completely over my head.
Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 19:14 - Jan 28 with 1492 viewsdgt73

Buy the Stagium or Build New. on 19:11 - Jan 28 by Parlay

No i am not. you?

I already have if you could read. £40-£45m. Same as the CCS. But as ive said, ive never built one before. Have you?

As it happens I have worked on a few new builds of stadiums...... oh and the project manager of interserve who built the liberty is a good friend of mine.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2015 19:16]

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024