Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My first attempt at "blogging" 15:25 - Mar 2 with 3019 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Please have at it.

http://www.swansonline.co.uk/article/121/how-to-love-ugly-football-swansea-city/

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

My first attempt at on 12:58 - Mar 6 with 2114 viewsGlyn1

Thanks Mike. That's an interesting read. "Plastics" as in if something is made of plastic then it's fake, not the real thing. It's not as insulting as "douchebag"!
[Post edited 6 Mar 2015 13:00]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

My first attempt at "blogging" on 13:37 - Mar 6 with 2078 viewsApeShit

Not sure you should be calling other fans Douchebags just because they want our old style of play back. (Thats not what a plastic is by the way.)
My first attempt at on 15:47 - Mar 6 with 2039 viewslondonlisa2001

My first attempt at on 12:58 - Mar 6 by Glyn1

Thanks Mike. That's an interesting read. "Plastics" as in if something is made of plastic then it's fake, not the real thing. It's not as insulting as "douchebag"!
[Post edited 6 Mar 2015 13:00]

as well as meaning fake, the term plastic also started being used for those fans that had only ever seen their team play through a TV screen (i.e. on a plastic box making them a plastic supporter).

By definition, back in the day (and to a large extent now), the only teams that anyone could regularly see on the TV were the big teams (since there was hardly any live football) and so the 'plastics' or 'armchair supporters' (which means much the same thing) always chose a team that was on TV more often than the others.

So teams such as Liverpool, Man Utd etc had a lot of 'plastic' supporters - supporters that had never visited the ground, had no real reason to support the team (they didn't come from that area for example) but just decided they were the team they supported (on the TV).

By definition, our supporters from the US etc , much as they (in my view) are very welcome, are plastics. They have chosen a team that they can watch and support on the TV and who are, therefore, a 'big' team (the Swans may seem like a 'small' team in PL terms, but they are a big team in reality, just not as big as the top 6 or 7 - I bet there are not many in the US who have decided for no apparent reason to support say, Bury or Hartlepool).

It is likely that if the Swans were ever to go back down through the leagues, those supporters (or most of them) would support someone else instead (some may truly get hooked and continue their support and become 'real' fans of course - Dav is an example of a 'real' fan from the US).

These days, plastic will also be used to mean people that only support a team if it is good (even if they watch the team live) - but it's a hangover in usage from the TV supporters.

Ironically, a lot of the people that are most vociferous about our style of play, are the very definition of 'non plastic' -they are people that have supported the team for years and from when we were in the bottom leagues, playing pretty badly most weeks.

Sorry if that's a bit dull !!
My first attempt at "blogging" on 16:53 - Mar 6 with 2007 viewsairedale

When big clubs visit the Liberty Stadium, together with their vociferous support, I find it difficult these days to take their supporters seriously, as I would take Stoke's supporters for example. I laughed when the East Stand started singing 'you only live around the corner' to Man U supporters the other day.

To me, and as voiced by Abi Davies (an apprentice journo I believe) a few years ago, its just 'the football'. You can only really support your local team. I have an acquaintance who, until about 8 years ago, was a Liverpool season ticket holder. Unbelievable. Don't get me wrong, when we were in the lower divisions I would have jumped at the chance to watch a top level match at a big club, and, in the late 1990s for example, if I'd had a choice would have liked to go and see Arsenal. But in no way shape or form would I have considered myself a fan or supporter of Arsenal.

However, not being the youngest lad in the village any more I realise that things are changing with how top level football is perceived around the world, and that PL clubs and certain other clubs from around Europe are acquiring a new type of fan base, whose participation in their support of their club take place through various media. I am slowly taking this on board.
My first attempt at "blogging" on 17:24 - Mar 6 with 1993 viewsTreforys_Jack

My first attempt at "blogging" on 16:53 - Mar 6 by airedale

When big clubs visit the Liberty Stadium, together with their vociferous support, I find it difficult these days to take their supporters seriously, as I would take Stoke's supporters for example. I laughed when the East Stand started singing 'you only live around the corner' to Man U supporters the other day.

To me, and as voiced by Abi Davies (an apprentice journo I believe) a few years ago, its just 'the football'. You can only really support your local team. I have an acquaintance who, until about 8 years ago, was a Liverpool season ticket holder. Unbelievable. Don't get me wrong, when we were in the lower divisions I would have jumped at the chance to watch a top level match at a big club, and, in the late 1990s for example, if I'd had a choice would have liked to go and see Arsenal. But in no way shape or form would I have considered myself a fan or supporter of Arsenal.

However, not being the youngest lad in the village any more I realise that things are changing with how top level football is perceived around the world, and that PL clubs and certain other clubs from around Europe are acquiring a new type of fan base, whose participation in their support of their club take place through various media. I am slowly taking this on board.

Agree with all of that. I always laugh when workmates refer to "we" when talking about Liverpool or Man U. I don't know any Chelsea, Arsenal or Man City fans. Always Liverpool or Man U.
My first attempt at "blogging" on 17:48 - Mar 6 with 1980 viewsstAteSwan

My first attempt at "blogging" on 13:37 - Mar 6 by ApeShit

Not sure you should be calling other fans Douchebags just because they want our old style of play back. (Thats not what a plastic is by the way.)

I think you'll find a vocabulary barrier with most of us at times. The word we use for Plastics over here are "Bandwagon fans" Or someone who only cheers for a club because they are on TV a lot, and good. Most of those fans would jump off the first time the bandwagon hits a bump.

There are many times I have to take things you guys say and throw it into Google to figure out what it actually means. That often has very amusing results.
My first attempt at "blogging" on 17:55 - Mar 6 with 1978 viewsairedale

My first attempt at "blogging" on 17:48 - Mar 6 by stAteSwan

I think you'll find a vocabulary barrier with most of us at times. The word we use for Plastics over here are "Bandwagon fans" Or someone who only cheers for a club because they are on TV a lot, and good. Most of those fans would jump off the first time the bandwagon hits a bump.

There are many times I have to take things you guys say and throw it into Google to figure out what it actually means. That often has very amusing results.

There's a tv series called 'Benidorm' over here Statey, and one of the best bits is the English speaking Spanish barman character getting confused by the English guests and fellow [English] employees' lingo.
My first attempt at "blogging" on 18:01 - Mar 6 with 1976 viewsstAteSwan

My first attempt at "blogging" on 17:55 - Mar 6 by airedale

There's a tv series called 'Benidorm' over here Statey, and one of the best bits is the English speaking Spanish barman character getting confused by the English guests and fellow [English] employees' lingo.

I could see the issue. I know I've learned a lot of choice replacements for swear words thanks to you guys. I could use them around people over here and convince them I am complimenting them.

I was in an education conference over here a couple years ago, and it was brought up that someone from the UK has a Vocabulary of 5 to 10 times larger than the average American. It's not that the same words don't exist for us, we just choose not to use them, and instead go for synonyms that we think more will recognize.
Login to get fewer ads

My first attempt at on 19:31 - Mar 6 with 1942 viewsGlyn1

My first attempt at "blogging" on 18:01 - Mar 6 by stAteSwan

I could see the issue. I know I've learned a lot of choice replacements for swear words thanks to you guys. I could use them around people over here and convince them I am complimenting them.

I was in an education conference over here a couple years ago, and it was brought up that someone from the UK has a Vocabulary of 5 to 10 times larger than the average American. It's not that the same words don't exist for us, we just choose not to use them, and instead go for synonyms that we think more will recognize.

That sounds like an urban myth.

I'm just curious but why do some Americans become Swansea fans? Like you and T from T whose blog everyone should read. Unlike other clubs we don't have any U.S. players.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2015 19:34]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

My first attempt at on 19:47 - Mar 6 with 1927 viewsstAteSwan

My first attempt at on 19:31 - Mar 6 by Glyn1

I'm just curious but why do some Americans become Swansea fans? Like you and T from T whose blog everyone should read. Unlike other clubs we don't have any U.S. players.

If I wanted to watch clubs with US based players, I'd watch MLS. I sort of found Swansea by accident, and just enjoyed the style of play. Watched the win over Arsenal in 2011 and started following the club.

If you looked at the statistics over here...the Majority of American fans of the BPL cheer for the Big 6. There aren't any Americans on those squads either save for DeAndre Yedlin on Spurs U21 side. However, the quality of play is far higher in the BPL than it is in MLS. For those of us who are simply fans of the game...that's fun to watch.

Don't get me wrong, I love the US National team...but Swansea is far more attractive in terms of style of play.
My first attempt at on 20:01 - Mar 6 with 1917 viewsTummer_from_Texas

My first attempt at on 19:31 - Mar 6 by Glyn1

Thanks! My first attempt and some stuff was edited a bit oddly (like the title, which doesn't really make a lot sense the way they ran it), but it was fun.

To answer your question: I have no personal connection at all to Wales; I started following the PL last season when NBC began broadcasting every fixture over here. Swansea grabbed my notice as a little Welsh club competing with big boys. What began as a passing interest turned into an obsession as I learned more about the history of the club and watched them play.

I've followed many sports over the years, and Swansea is the coolest "rags-to-riches" story I've ever heard of in a major professional league. Frankly, I'm surprised MORE Americans haven't caught on to this secret yet (as we love our underdogs), but I'm working on it!

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

My first attempt at "blogging" on 20:43 - Mar 6 with 1892 viewsnyc_swans

i'm an american fan, used to be more active on the forum, but thanks for blogging.

undoubtedly the first article about the swans that's ever used the word "y'all"
My first attempt at "blogging" on 21:08 - Mar 6 with 1877 viewsairedale

How about coming over and catching a match guys; do you have any plans to do that?
My first attempt at "blogging" on 21:20 - Mar 6 with 1873 viewsTummer_from_Texas

My first attempt at "blogging" on 21:08 - Mar 6 by airedale

How about coming over and catching a match guys; do you have any plans to do that?

As soon as the 2015/2016 schedule comes out, I'm going to start making plans.

My first attempt at "blogging" on 01:42 - Mar 7 with 1829 viewsnyc_swans

yes. but do you have any idea how expensive it is to travel to the UK from america?
My first attempt at on 02:20 - Mar 7 with 1820 viewsJoeSoccerFan

My wife and I have made 2 trips to Swansea.

The first was for her to go rock climbing in southwestern Wales for her 50th, I was able to squeeze in pub visiting during this time and we attended a match against Southampton.

The second was over the American Thanksgiving holiday, watching us crush Newcastle, Valencia and a trip to Man City.

We were fans during our first visit, but we grew to love the people (not necessarily the ones on PS) and the beautiful country (though I was petrified with small roads,,, from the passenger seat).

I would be saddened if we are ever relegated, because it would be difficult to watch the Swans.

EDIT: I did enjoy seeing the Swans this past summer in Milwaukee and Minneapolis.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2015 2:23]
My first attempt at on 02:34 - Mar 7 with 1814 viewsazjack

My first attempt at on 15:47 - Mar 6 by londonlisa2001

as well as meaning fake, the term plastic also started being used for those fans that had only ever seen their team play through a TV screen (i.e. on a plastic box making them a plastic supporter).

By definition, back in the day (and to a large extent now), the only teams that anyone could regularly see on the TV were the big teams (since there was hardly any live football) and so the 'plastics' or 'armchair supporters' (which means much the same thing) always chose a team that was on TV more often than the others.

So teams such as Liverpool, Man Utd etc had a lot of 'plastic' supporters - supporters that had never visited the ground, had no real reason to support the team (they didn't come from that area for example) but just decided they were the team they supported (on the TV).

By definition, our supporters from the US etc , much as they (in my view) are very welcome, are plastics. They have chosen a team that they can watch and support on the TV and who are, therefore, a 'big' team (the Swans may seem like a 'small' team in PL terms, but they are a big team in reality, just not as big as the top 6 or 7 - I bet there are not many in the US who have decided for no apparent reason to support say, Bury or Hartlepool).

It is likely that if the Swans were ever to go back down through the leagues, those supporters (or most of them) would support someone else instead (some may truly get hooked and continue their support and become 'real' fans of course - Dav is an example of a 'real' fan from the US).

These days, plastic will also be used to mean people that only support a team if it is good (even if they watch the team live) - but it's a hangover in usage from the TV supporters.

Ironically, a lot of the people that are most vociferous about our style of play, are the very definition of 'non plastic' -they are people that have supported the team for years and from when we were in the bottom leagues, playing pretty badly most weeks.

Sorry if that's a bit dull !!

I'm sorry but, to me, your words comes across as rather elitist.

By your definition, I estimate that there are at least 10 "plastics" to 1 "non-plastic" supporter and that ratio is rapidly - and inevitably - expanding.
My first attempt at "blogging" on 02:53 - Mar 7 with 1810 viewsphact0rri

Honestly i concider myself kind of plastic. yes the swans have been on my radar since i was a kid. My father use to travel us down to the vetch when we were living in pembrokeshire. But i lost track of a lot of the things about Wales, when there weren't any brits around me and i was just this poor white kid with a b*stard accent.

Sporting really evaperated quickly for me. I had zero interest in the US sports, and so i completely forgot that football was still around. So i just tossed it a way for quite sometime.

Some bad things happened about three years ago and i began to miss Wales and considered moving back. Thats when i bumped back into the swans, and Rugby matches i could stream in welsh. I was struck and remembered how much i use to love football.

Will i continue on into the future or will i get tired of it? I dunno. But right now Swansea City and football in general feels important to me. So I absorb as much as i can and love every moment.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

My first attempt at "blogging" on 03:28 - Mar 7 with 1799 viewsItchySphincter

My first attempt at "blogging" on 16:53 - Mar 6 by airedale

I know two Liverpool 'fans', both had the tops and the mouth to go with it when we were slumming it around the bottom two divisions who are now season ticket holders for the Swans. More front than Woolworths. If I was them I'd die of embarrassment but they're brazen and what irks me somewhat is that they're only going to watch PL football and in most cases the opposition.

Good effort on the blog Mike. Plastic = fake, nothing more complicated.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

My first attempt at "blogging" on 08:48 - Mar 7 with 1732 viewsQuakerJack

My first attempt at "blogging" on 17:24 - Mar 6 by Treforys_Jack

Agree with all of that. I always laugh when workmates refer to "we" when talking about Liverpool or Man U. I don't know any Chelsea, Arsenal or Man City fans. Always Liverpool or Man U.

I know people from Port Talbot who were in the away end against United and Arsenal... I don't understand it.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

My first attempt at on 09:21 - Mar 7 with 1721 viewsPrivate_Partz

In any other division I would have said that good football would be preferable to ugly. However in the Prem I feel the status of being here is far too important to both club and city. Possibly even more so to the latter.
I also don't like the term 'plastic' when applied to our new fans. New fans coming on board should be welcomed as they are the way forward. Local fans supporting big name teams are another matter and I have little respect for them.
The problem is we cannot accommodate any new fans as our ground is too small.
I have no objection to masses of American supporters professing to be swansea fans even though they can rarely, if ever, get to the liberty. It is more than likely they will be purchasing merchandise and therefore injecting cash into the club which is fine. The more we attract this type of fan, and over a longer period, then it is likely that they will remain fans and give us the impetus to rebuild if things go wrong.
The one problem for me is that I believe a lot of our new fans have come on board because they are attracted to the style of football we play(ed). It is going to be more difficult to do this if we become a run of the mill mid / lower Premier League side.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2015 9:22]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

My first attempt at on 09:29 - Mar 7 with 1713 viewsItchySphincter

My first attempt at on 09:21 - Mar 7 by Private_Partz

In any other division I would have said that good football would be preferable to ugly. However in the Prem I feel the status of being here is far too important to both club and city. Possibly even more so to the latter.
I also don't like the term 'plastic' when applied to our new fans. New fans coming on board should be welcomed as they are the way forward. Local fans supporting big name teams are another matter and I have little respect for them.
The problem is we cannot accommodate any new fans as our ground is too small.
I have no objection to masses of American supporters professing to be swansea fans even though they can rarely, if ever, get to the liberty. It is more than likely they will be purchasing merchandise and therefore injecting cash into the club which is fine. The more we attract this type of fan, and over a longer period, then it is likely that they will remain fans and give us the impetus to rebuild if things go wrong.
The one problem for me is that I believe a lot of our new fans have come on board because they are attracted to the style of football we play(ed). It is going to be more difficult to do this if we become a run of the mill mid / lower Premier League side.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2015 9:22]

The more the merrier P_P. I'd love us to rediscover our passing/possession though. It started disappearing when ML decided to go narrow with the wingers and it looks like Monk is continuing on the same path.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

My first attempt at "blogging" on 10:45 - Mar 7 with 1690 viewsmonmouth

When I was a schoolie dwt I was, by definition, a plastic as I 'supported' Leeds (ugh, I know, but it was the 1970 cup final team and the Gray Lorimer, Jones Clarke variety) as well as dgenuinely supporting the Swans with a season ticket. I genuinely saw the two things as entirely separate and only got myself in a state when we played them that year (when I wanted the Swans to win, which I'm still pleased about today...I wasn't a complete smeg at 11). I grew out of it by about 1976 and totally changed my view into disgust for them when I actually moved to Leeds in the late 70s, went to Elland Road and realised what the team and the fans were really like (I still enjoyed watching Tony Currie mind).

So I understand kids getting attached, but I'm still mystified by grown men, if they are not from or live in the area, or have an early connection, getting emotionally linked. Sorry if that offends, not meant to. I welcome anyone that wants to be part of our club in any way, I just don't really understand some of it.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

My first attempt at on 12:18 - Mar 7 with 1668 viewsJackanapes

My first attempt at "blogging" on 10:45 - Mar 7 by monmouth

When I was a schoolie dwt I was, by definition, a plastic as I 'supported' Leeds (ugh, I know, but it was the 1970 cup final team and the Gray Lorimer, Jones Clarke variety) as well as dgenuinely supporting the Swans with a season ticket. I genuinely saw the two things as entirely separate and only got myself in a state when we played them that year (when I wanted the Swans to win, which I'm still pleased about today...I wasn't a complete smeg at 11). I grew out of it by about 1976 and totally changed my view into disgust for them when I actually moved to Leeds in the late 70s, went to Elland Road and realised what the team and the fans were really like (I still enjoyed watching Tony Currie mind).

So I understand kids getting attached, but I'm still mystified by grown men, if they are not from or live in the area, or have an early connection, getting emotionally linked. Sorry if that offends, not meant to. I welcome anyone that wants to be part of our club in any way, I just don't really understand some of it.

Well looking back the other way, I have grown emotionally attached to a particular NFL side(Pats). I started following them in the 80s and now my interest in them is second only to the Swans, even though I have only seen one game of theirs back in 2004. Getting emotionally attached to a bunch of guys larking about on a pitch with a ball of any shape is quite quite bizzare really.
Maybe its one of those things that make us interesting as humans is that we can have these inexplicable affiliations to things that we have no immediate interaction with, or maybe some of us are just very very sad.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2015 12:19]

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

My first attempt at on 14:45 - Mar 7 with 1624 viewslondonlisa2001

My first attempt at on 02:34 - Mar 7 by azjack

I'm sorry but, to me, your words comes across as rather elitist.

By your definition, I estimate that there are at least 10 "plastics" to 1 "non-plastic" supporter and that ratio is rapidly - and inevitably - expanding.

They're not my views - Tummer had expressed a question on what 'plastic' meant in his blog - I was simply trying to be helpful by explaining where the phrase had come from! It's not my definition.

You are right in that success will always lead to a greater number of more casual fans. Indeed, if we stay in the Premier League for evermore, then any future fan could be accused of having only got on board due to success.

Same thing as someone becoming rich I guess - no way of them ever knowing from that moment on whether someone actually likes them or simply likes them because they're rich.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024