Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should we legalise cannabis? 23:43 - Mar 3 with 8460 viewsLord_Bony

Anyone see the show with Jon Snow on the effects of cannabis.guests included Jenny Bond on the stuff and Richard Branson calling for legalisation.

There seems to be a huge difference between hash and skunk...the latter being far more potent and dangerous.

Personally, I'd be for controlled legalisation of the milder stuff...the programme recommends inhaling with a vaporiser and avoiding tobacco. The number one killer drug on the planet remains...alchohol.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/drugs-live-jon-snow-jennie-bond-and-the

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Should we legalise cannabis? on 07:43 - Mar 5 with 1201 viewsJackanapes

Should we legalise cannabis? on 00:05 - Mar 5 by acejack3065

"A fatal marijuana overdose in humans would take 40,000 times the amount of THC that it took to get them high in the first place. In comparison, it would only take 5 to 10 times the amount of alcohol to get drunk to kill a human. If you can get drunk on 3 beers, then 15 to 30 beers can cause death. If you inhale 3 puffs of marijuana smoke and get high, then you would have to take 120,000 puffs of marijuana smoke to be fatal. In this sense, it is nearly impossible to die from an overdose of marijuana. Again, it depends on the purity of the marijuana and the health status of the individual so these amounts may vary depending on the situation."

http://www.newhealthguide.org/Can-You-Overdose-On-Marijuana.html

You cant overdose on cakes. They can still kill you. You are clutching to this notion that just because you cant overdose on something then it isnt dangerous.
Cannabis is not harmless. That being said there are many things that are not harmless, that are legally available.
Ultimately its not about the substance, its about the user.
I imagine this guy died of shame.
http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/232845/man-smokes-weed-sucks-horses-dick/?utm_so
[Post edited 5 Mar 2015 7:47]

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Should we legalise cannabis? on 09:07 - Mar 5 with 1162 viewsacejack3065

Should we legalise cannabis? on 07:43 - Mar 5 by Jackanapes

You cant overdose on cakes. They can still kill you. You are clutching to this notion that just because you cant overdose on something then it isnt dangerous.
Cannabis is not harmless. That being said there are many things that are not harmless, that are legally available.
http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/232845/man-smokes-weed-sucks-horses-dick/?utm_so

It is possible to die of shame, trust me I've come close. Probably boredom too.

I'm not clutching to the notion that it can't kill you and that's why it should be legalised. I think there are several other reasons as to why we should legalise it. It's just when people say it's dangerous then you have to ask "relative to what"? There are more harmful substances available under the counter or on the shelf so it would make little sense to ban it on the grounds of health.

That doesn't mean that I beleive it's harmless. It can exacerbate mental health issues where they already exist and it can also impare your decision making process. Much like alcohol, it should be regulated and taxed. Drug dealers get filthy rich from selling this plant so why shouldn't the state?
Should we legalise cannabis? on 09:21 - Mar 5 with 1151 viewsperchrockjack

If legalised, career criminals would simply diversify as they always do.

We have those who believe its safe and therefore should be legal

and those who believe its not and shouldn't.

One band of people believing it wont harm

and others who do.

One who don't think it would affect general life

and those who do

And some who think, why take the risk at all of legalisation and this debate has been going on since the sixties

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Should we legalise cannabis? on 09:35 - Mar 5 with 1149 viewslibertine

Should we legalise cannabis? on 07:43 - Mar 5 by Jackanapes

the term druggies does not help, its part of the problem.

in Holland in the 70's, they did many trials on non skunk cannabis and discovered that there were no real problems with smoking cannabis and they invented the coffee shop where people could go and have a puff and a coffee and eat lots of things.
They realised that there had to be a social difference between hard and soft drugs, they realised that human nature was to want to get high/drunk , if you went to The Dam in that period of time you would have seen sticker, posters flyers everywhere advising people not to take hard drugs and if they were going to take anything make it cannabis not even alcohol. Sadly for them their experiment failed as no other European country followed their lead and as a result Amsterdam became a stag weekend destination and the whole place was ruined.

In the 70's/80's the place was rather cool even the police had a great attitude and were non confrontational rather than "move on you young bastards or we'll kick the shit out of you and then lock you up for swearing as you hit the ground" the police in Holland would say" How are you guys doing? would you mind moving on? this place is becoming blocked up" the place was so chilled and calm out but now its become Babylon as whole countries of people holiday there as their own politicians couldn't see that the experiment was a success.

We Stiff upper lipped old Britain pandered to its ridiculous gin swigging bowler hatted tw@ss ruling over us who thought we knew better than someone who'd done lots of studies just because we were English.

we are now still in that mindset being terrified to do the right thing, but whichever politician says we are going to legalise it will lose the grey vote, which is a big vote, so because of our conservative views, whilst we know it makes sense to legalise block/cannabis which is relatively harmless we won't do it just yet, even though it will bring in increased revenue to our country and take the money away from the gangsters into the hands of the banksters. Politicians have all smoked the stuff, but "hey man its OK for me to smoke but I don't think your capable of smoking it".

we know what prohibition has done its produced super strong nasty skunk weed and moonshine so by legalising hash then
Should we legalise cannabis? on 09:43 - Mar 5 with 1152 viewsLord_Bony

Hashish Effects

The major active ingredient in marijuana and hashish is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). The exact nature of its action is not entirely understood, although it is believed to change to a psychoactive compound in the liver. The higher the THC content, the stronger the effects. The average potency of marijuana in this country has increased since the 1970s.

The effect sought in cannabis use is euphoria, a feeling of wellbeing and elation. This is usually accompanied by a state of altered perception, particularly of distance and time. The euphoric feeling usually peaks within ten to thirty minutes of smoking marijuana, but residual effects may last from two to three hours.

According to the programme a lot of people take it for medicinal purposes as it seems to alleviate certain conditions like multiple sclerosis and pain relief.
It has also been said by a lot of people it makes them more creative as it stimulates the front part of the brain...very interesting to see how people's appreciation of music and art is heightened on hashish....each to their own at the end of the day but it seems a better alternative to cigarettes and alchohol ?
Remember we re talking about the soft not hard version...
[Post edited 5 Mar 2015 10:27]

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Should we legalise cannabis? on 11:01 - Mar 5 with 1128 viewsJackanapes

Should we legalise cannabis? on 09:07 - Mar 5 by acejack3065

It is possible to die of shame, trust me I've come close. Probably boredom too.

I'm not clutching to the notion that it can't kill you and that's why it should be legalised. I think there are several other reasons as to why we should legalise it. It's just when people say it's dangerous then you have to ask "relative to what"? There are more harmful substances available under the counter or on the shelf so it would make little sense to ban it on the grounds of health.

That doesn't mean that I beleive it's harmless. It can exacerbate mental health issues where they already exist and it can also impare your decision making process. Much like alcohol, it should be regulated and taxed. Drug dealers get filthy rich from selling this plant so why shouldn't the state?

Its a contentious issue for sure. I just finished an NVQ in substance misuse and this particular cyclical argument took up more time than anything else.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Should we legalise cannabis? on 11:53 - Mar 5 with 1111 viewsMillJack

Should we legalise cannabis? on 09:21 - Mar 5 by perchrockjack

and others who do.

and those who do

And some who think, why take the risk at all of legalisation and this debate has been going on since the sixties

Perch, you seem to like to dance around the point without answering the important points that have been raised (multiple times) on this thread.

Your argument that it impairs driving ability, and therefore costs lives, is by no means inconsequential but is, nevertheless, dead in the water. The scenario you described happens every day but with alcohol, something which you seem unwilling to address as it doesn't fit your medieval rhetoric around drugs (marijuana in this case). By your theory, shouldn't alcohol therefore be illegal? I would imagine that you're unwilling to answer that question as you probably enjoy a glass of wine or two of an evening, as many do and there is nothing wrong with that.

The fact is, if alcohol was a new drug discovered today, it would be made illegal once it's effects and pitfalls were clear based on current classifications of drugs. I don't even believe that is up for debate.

The argument surrounding legalisation (of all drugs) needs to be based around whether our current drug laws are working in terms of limiting the health problems arising from said drug use and whether they are helping to prevent the use of drugs in any way. It is clear that they are doing anything but at the moment, the stats back that up, so why don't we try to take a different perspective and treat drugs in a way that will benefit the country (by means of taxes) and treat addicts rather than criminalise them.

The evidence is there if you're actually willing to open your eyes on the subject, Colorado and Portugal are good places to start.

The argument that "drugs kill people" isn't reason for them being illegal, they are already killing people while they are criminalised. The question should be "how can we regulate them correctly so that less lives are lost and people can be correctly educated on the subject".
[Post edited 5 Mar 2015 11:58]
Should we legalise cannabis? on 12:12 - Mar 5 with 1095 viewslibertine

Should we legalise cannabis? on 11:53 - Mar 5 by MillJack

Perch, you seem to like to dance around the point without answering the important points that have been raised (multiple times) on this thread.

Your argument that it impairs driving ability, and therefore costs lives, is by no means inconsequential but is, nevertheless, dead in the water. The scenario you described happens every day but with alcohol, something which you seem unwilling to address as it doesn't fit your medieval rhetoric around drugs (marijuana in this case). By your theory, shouldn't alcohol therefore be illegal? I would imagine that you're unwilling to answer that question as you probably enjoy a glass of wine or two of an evening, as many do and there is nothing wrong with that.

The fact is, if alcohol was a new drug discovered today, it would be made illegal once it's effects and pitfalls were clear based on current classifications of drugs. I don't even believe that is up for debate.

The argument surrounding legalisation (of all drugs) needs to be based around whether our current drug laws are working in terms of limiting the health problems arising from said drug use and whether they are helping to prevent the use of drugs in any way. It is clear that they are doing anything but at the moment, the stats back that up, so why don't we try to take a different perspective and treat drugs in a way that will benefit the country (by means of taxes) and treat addicts rather than criminalise them.

The evidence is there if you're actually willing to open your eyes on the subject, Colorado and Portugal are good places to start.

The argument that "drugs kill people" isn't reason for them being illegal, they are already killing people while they are criminalised. The question should be "how can we regulate them correctly so that less lives are lost and people can be correctly educated on the subject".
[Post edited 5 Mar 2015 11:58]

Heres the awkward question???

if your child was smoking skunk and you were against it would you get the hash and tell them to use that instead????

I know a guy who did this and the guy really knows his stuff about drugs and alcohol as he works within the health care profession.
Login to get fewer ads

Should we legalise cannabis? on 12:22 - Mar 5 with 1088 viewsLord_Bony

Should we legalise cannabis? on 12:12 - Mar 5 by libertine

if your child was smoking skunk and you were against it would you get the hash and tell them to use that instead????

I know a guy who did this and the guy really knows his stuff about drugs and alcohol as he works within the health care profession.

Funnily enough my 19 yr old son is going to Amsterdam for the first time with his mates next week.

It would be naive of me to think these lads will not experiment in some way while there...we ve all done,or most of us.

I m glad he caught the end of that programme it was very educational..and yes I did reinforce the message whilst I do not condone it in any way,if he were to have a puff make sure it's hash(soft option) and under no circumstances try skunk (hard). He s a sensible lad I said no more but I think he got the message.....

Should we legalise cannabis? on 12:26 - Mar 5 with 1083 viewsMillJack

Should we legalise cannabis? on 12:12 - Mar 5 by libertine

If it was something that helped my child then, yes, I would have no problem with that.

I think it's worth pointing out at this stage though that I don't like the idea of either of my children using any type of drug and I'm sure that is the case for most people. I am acutely aware of the stupid/dangerous situations they could get into while under the influence of alcohol, and I'm also aware of health risks they face if they become regular smokers. However, I'm not willing to allow that cloud my judgement and ask for those substances to be made illegal.

The same goes for hash, ecstasy, cocaine, etc. I don't WANT my child to use any of those things but, law of averages suggest, that they may well try them at some point during their lives. I'd feel a lot more confident if these drugs were regulated, effects sufficiently researched and health/usage advice given based on their effects and suitable dosage. Having them illegal, open to contamination from whatever substance the criminals decide to cut them with, and criminalised does more to harm the users than having them made legal will ever have on the general public.
Should we legalise cannabis? on 13:48 - Mar 5 with 1053 viewsperchrockjack

Not guilty milljack.

By the same token, nbody has made a case out to me for a family enjoying a sunday roast at a Toby when in walks a couple who light up cannabis joints.
NOW SORRY, but the smell alone is sickening enough and the morality is worse..
Please be advised I am fully aware of drugs legislation in other countries and Ive actually liaised with them albeit many years ago as I ran a fookn Drugs Unit when cannabis DID without question lead to heroin use so is it worth the risk?. That's question has not been addressed in this thread either.

Dead in the water? We were debating the "cannabis doesn't kill" stuff and hence my input regarding RTC s which regularly show drivers under the influence of cannabis.

I hope your kids aren't in front of such a d river one day..

As I say, it aint worth the risk.

Should we legalise cannabis? on 14:18 - Mar 5 with 1049 viewsblueytheblue

Should we legalise cannabis? on 08:31 - Mar 4 by Darran

I've smoked cannabis in the past and there's nothing wrong with me.

Dazzer is clear proof cannabis should be legalised.

In the event that happens, Cheap Trick sales would double ( admittedly from 1 to 2 ).

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Should we legalise cannabis? on 15:20 - Mar 5 with 1039 viewsMillJack

Should we legalise cannabis? on 13:48 - Mar 5 by perchrockjack

Not guilty milljack.

By the same token, nbody has made a case out to me for a family enjoying a sunday roast at a Toby when in walks a couple who light up cannabis joints.
Please be advised I am fully aware of drugs legislation in other countries and Ive actually liaised with them albeit many years ago as I ran a fookn Drugs Unit when cannabis DID without question lead to heroin use so is it worth the risk?. That's question has not been addressed in this thread either.

Dead in the water? We were debating the "cannabis doesn't kill" stuff and hence my input regarding RTC s which regularly show drivers under the influence of cannabis.

Firstly Perch, nobody has addressed the your argument about someone smoking a spliff next to you in the Toby Carvery. There's a good reason for that, smoking is banned in pubs and restaurants so it can't happen. I can't imagine that they're suddenly going to withdraw that law in light of cannabis being made legal, so I'm sure you'd be able to go about clogging your arteries in peace.

Secondly, you've obviously confused the fact that heroin users also use cannabis as meaning that cannabis leads to heroin use. It's like adding 2 + 2 and making 53. There are approximately 2.3 million cannabis users (just soak that in) in the UK and around 33,000 heroin users. So 1.43% of cannabis users also use heroin, and that's assuming that all heroin users also partake in cannabis. Makes a (slight) mockery of your argument no?

Finally, I also hope that my kids don't end up in front of a driver 3 times over the drink-drive limit or one driven by someone texting on their mobile phone. I'm not advocating banning alcohol or mobile phones though. Both of those scenarios are illegal in terms of the person driving the car and rightly so, just as it is to drive under the influence of drugs.
Should we legalise cannabis? on 16:57 - Mar 5 with 1024 viewsThursday

Should we legalise cannabis? on 13:48 - Mar 5 by perchrockjack

Not guilty milljack.

I did make the case regarding your sunday roast. You either chose to ignore it or Aldi wine has been too recent (stop pushing alcohol daily here on a public forum, ya dirty druggie).

As someone else pointed out, you're not allowed to smoke period. And, even if you were, what makes you think that legalization would come without regulation? As a former officer, you know better than that. Given it affects others, smoking wouldn't be permitted in public places at all.

As I said, I've seen this work in two places. Feel free to ask how it actually does work. Or, continue the street preaching.
Should we legalise cannabis? on 17:28 - Mar 5 with 1012 viewsSwanjack10

Should we legalise cannabis? on 22:22 - Mar 4 by perchrockjack

If stressed I pick up a guitar and play a hank song.

Who the. Feck needs to smoke canna is.

Why

Maybe thats why your a nobody moaning scouse,your not exactly mick jagger

ambition is critical....................
Poll: do you think swanjack10 should be a moderator?

Should we legalise cannabis? on 17:28 - Mar 5 with 1012 viewslibertine

its a nonsense to say its a gateway drug, that's been said for years I know many smokers and non of them do smack,

If you want to use the heroin argument,
do you really think if heroin was legalised tomorrow that loads of people would puff the magic dragon dragon or reach for Vlad the impalor?

Its not going to happen although there will be some who do take a gamble.

Legalise heroin?????, its a completely different animal and I truly can't give an objective opinion on it. Portugal have done it and they have less addicts now than before.

But I imagine an addict would prefer to get their daily dose from a clean source rather than someone adding vim or whatever it is they add to the stuff. I think there is an argument that methadone is not a good substitute and when i spoke to a pharmacist about it he said he didn't know if it would be better to give the addicts heroin instead.

I do know that if I blabbed out nonchalantly "All drugs should be legalised" then one of mine came home and addict, then i'd be truly sad, as it definitely takes no prisoners, although I watched a documentary about it and there was this rich guy from London who had a habit and managed to maintain a reasonable quality of life, because he had a clean source of supply.

I think i'll go with a big fat no on the legalise all drugs bit.

Just the block hash

as on Dr Nutts chart, also as it helps to cope with cheap tricks strange music
Should we legalise cannabis? on 17:38 - Mar 5 with 1004 viewsSwanjack10

Should we legalise cannabis? on 09:21 - Mar 5 by perchrockjack

and others who do.

and those who do

And a huge portion of the old bill smoke it,turn a blind eye and do you actually think all busted drugs go in the burner,lmao ,dont act so f u cking daft.

ambition is critical....................
Poll: do you think swanjack10 should be a moderator?

Should we legalise cannabis? on 17:40 - Mar 5 with 1003 viewsSirParlayTheGreat

Alcohol is a massive problem. I can probably count on my fingers and toes the amount of beers I have in a year. A nice pale ale with my meal now and again.

Im always staggered how many people construct their day around drinking. Especially a weekend. The amount of people that miss half the football waiting for some awful version of lager is stunning really. People cant go 90 mins of football without alcohol, its scary really.

As for cannabis, tried it - didn't like it but id have thought far less harmful than alcohol so I say legalise it.

In fact id legalise all drugs, but they have to be administered through an organisation. The amount of crime committed would plummet and those organisations could help educate these people.
Should we legalise cannabis? on 17:53 - Mar 5 with 989 viewsmonmouth

Should we legalise cannabis? on 17:40 - Mar 5 by SirParlayTheGreat

Alcohol is a massive problem. I can probably count on my fingers and toes the amount of beers I have in a year. A nice pale ale with my meal now and again.

Im always staggered how many people construct their day around drinking. Especially a weekend. The amount of people that miss half the football waiting for some awful version of lager is stunning really. People cant go 90 mins of football without alcohol, its scary really.

As for cannabis, tried it - didn't like it but id have thought far less harmful than alcohol so I say legalise it.

In fact id legalise all drugs, but they have to be administered through an organisation. The amount of crime committed would plummet and those organisations could help educate these people.

This, for me too.

It's not as if making it illegal is stopping people getting it, so the legal/non-legal emotional outrage is a red herring imo.

Legalise, control (and make safe) the supply; put the criminals out of business and use the proceeds to fund education and proper treatment.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Should we legalise cannabis? on 17:59 - Mar 5 with 986 viewsSirParlayTheGreat

Should we legalise cannabis? on 17:53 - Mar 5 by monmouth

This, for me too.

It's not as if making it illegal is stopping people getting it, so the legal/non-legal emotional outrage is a red herring imo.

Legalise, control (and make safe) the supply; put the criminals out of business and use the proceeds to fund education and proper treatment.

Indeed.

The fact it is illegal is only causing crime to increase, violent gangs forming, unsafe ingredients added to the substances and a whole new impoverished underclass forming. The only ones winning by making drugs illegal are the criminals that then can control the trade.
Should we legalise cannabis? on 18:10 - Mar 5 with 975 viewsperchrockjack

Can understands Russy as he never fails to hammer old bill or anything remotely associated with it or anything scouse. We ve been at it for many years with no sign of abating and we ve not seen each other in the flesh either, sad I know but there we have it.

, quite what the feck are you crowd on about regarding my preaching. Yours are just that as you are utterly unable to see the other side.

Few posts made without a little abuse and sorry but someone has yet to put forward a case that cannabis smoking will make our society better.

Anyone believing that drug dealers will somehow go out of business if it were made legal is simply off his head. REALLY, so its legal and the druggies friends will then sign on ,go on a course of some description and take up a legal job.? FANTASY.

so its made legal and no need for illicit suppliers? Wrong again.

Alcohol a killer is true but please its no defence for the legalising of another drug.

Finally, just why cannot you post in a tidy fashion on this subject. Mine have been without any personaly crap but look at yours.

Drugs don't work, makes it worse

Should we legalise cannabis? on 18:22 - Mar 5 with 971 viewsThursday

Should we legalise cannabis? on 18:10 - Mar 5 by perchrockjack

Can understands Russy as he never fails to hammer old bill or anything remotely associated with it or anything scouse. We ve been at it for many years with no sign of abating and we ve not seen each other in the flesh either, sad I know but there we have it.

, quite what the feck are you crowd on about regarding my preaching. Yours are just that as you are utterly unable to see the other side.

Few posts made without a little abuse and sorry but someone has yet to put forward a case that cannabis smoking will make our society better.

Anyone believing that drug dealers will somehow go out of business if it were made legal is simply off his head. REALLY, so its legal and the druggies friends will then sign on ,go on a course of some description and take up a legal job.? FANTASY.

Alcohol a killer is true but please its no defence for the legalising of another drug.

Finally, just why cannot you post in a tidy fashion on this subject. Mine have been without any personaly crap but look at yours.

How it makes society better?

Health benefits
Increased tax revenue leading to infrastructure improvements
Reduced criminal charges, reducing overcrowding, reducing city budgets for policing

There's more, but you haven't listened to one yet despite them popping up in the thread.

Edit: Also helps the local patisseries.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2015 18:24]
Should we legalise cannabis? on 18:24 - Mar 5 with 968 viewsSirParIayTheGreat

Should we legalise cannabis? on 18:10 - Mar 5 by perchrockjack

Do you see many alcohol dealer gangs then? Cigarette dealer gangs? No.

Of course there would be no drug dealers if drugs were legal.
Should we legalise cannabis? on 18:43 - Mar 5 with 959 viewslibertine

why not make alcohol illegal now!?

lets make fags and alcohol illegal now, why not?

Just because something is legal now it doesn't mean you can make it illegal tomorrow!

cocaine was legal now its not

opium was legal now its not

Alcohol illegal now!

Start the party someone!

There are mostly good police officers but there are a few who use their position for personal gain
Should we legalise cannabis? on 19:00 - Mar 5 with 946 viewsBadgeman

Should we legalise cannabis? on 18:24 - Mar 5 by SirParIayTheGreat

Do you see many alcohol dealer gangs then? Cigarette dealer gangs? No.

Of course there would be no drug dealers if drugs were legal.

They would deal in mars bars if you made them illegal.

The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason.
Poll: Is Huw's position untenable?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024