Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bad tactics tonight 21:29 - Mar 4 with 5573 viewstwotimejack

I don't get Garry's thinking tonight with these tactics, flooding the midfield whilst sacrificing a winger, with the pace Spurs have from the wings and full backs im not surprised we have been slaughtered down the flanks tonight, terrible tactics.

Poll: Is Garry the right man to take the club on to the next level

Bad tactics tonight on 19:17 - Mar 5 with 1054 viewsmonmouth

Bad tactics tonight on 17:05 - Mar 5 by football2301

so you honestly think that jjs should of been subbed last night ?

No, he didn't deserve to be crooked last night, but the way we came back in to it afterwards makes the decision hard to criticise too heavily with hindsight.

Have you still got Frankie's phone number by the way?

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Bad tactics tonight on 19:17 - Mar 5 with 1054 viewsicecoldjack

Bad tactics tonight on 16:05 - Mar 5 by Davillin

In my opinion, the tactics "worked wonders" against Man. United for two reasons: (1) Monk got it right, and (2) van Gaal lived up to his reputation as being stubborn and arrogant, assuming that his £300 M would beat us no matter what we did.

However, the tactics did NOT work against Burnley. We squeaked by 1-0 because Burnly is not up to the Premier League [I mean no disrespect to their players, who did play hard]. The goal was satisfying, but it did result from a mad goal-line scramble which always includes a bit of luck.

The tactics did not work against Tottenham because they were simply dead wrong for that opponent. We took the tactics "a bridge too far." [Actually, the Burnley game was that "a bridge too far."]

I can't read Monk's mind, but it seemed to me that he wanted the tactics to "work" a third time by making them the new "Plan A." In my opinion, not reverting to the original "Plan A" with two speed merchants on the wings [from Montero, Routledge, Barrow, or Dyer], and going back to "Swansea Style" will continue to bring sad results.

Regarding the change from Shelvey to Montero. I've said all I plan to say about Shelvey except that he has not been dismissed on a red card since the last one, and does seem to have learned that he plays a position in a football "team." The rest of my opinions about him remain.

However, it is beyond my ability to read Monk's mind about why he continues to play Shelvey. "Potential" does not win football games -- not even "bags of potential." "Having a shot in him" and being "able to change a game" do not either. Nor does "hope" that he'll score a third goal for the season.

On the other hand, I cannot explain how anyone did not see that Montero's arrival did change the game, either -- instantly, dramatically, in the attack and the defence.

I can''t read Monk's mind on why Montero doesn't start, or even get more time on the pitch. His "potential" is being wasted by keeping him on the bench.

Another part of the equation is that putting Montero on, with Routledge on the other wing, brought back -- however fleetingly [17 minutes] -- the "Swansea style" and almost got the Swans a draw. I can only imagine what might have been with Montero on for at least the second half, and regret that he wasn't.

"Having a shot on him" and the end result of him doing just that has given us 9 pts this season.

I'm guessing it really is beyond your ability if can't understand what leaving a player like that on the field brings.

Shelveys winner against Southampton came in the 83 rd minute.
Shelveys Winner/deflection against Man utd came in the 73 rd minute.

Both games where he basically won the points by staying on the field and "having a shot on him"

Lets not forget the Hull game either.

Im not saying he's perfect but when you are 3-1 down and trying to salvage something from the game a player like shelvey has the ability to bang one in from 25 yrds. He actually played pretty well against Spurs too and while it was hard to sub any midfielder subbing Jonjo was not what i would have done personally.

Id have subbed Cork, dropped Ki deeper and let Jonjo and Siggy try and get on goal, thats the beauty of football though, we all see different things.
Bad tactics tonight on 20:52 - Mar 5 with 988 viewsfootball2301

Bad tactics tonight on 19:17 - Mar 5 by monmouth

No, he didn't deserve to be crooked last night, but the way we came back in to it afterwards makes the decision hard to criticise too heavily with hindsight.

Have you still got Frankie's phone number by the way?

first of all 3 1 down take a defender off go 3 at the back you don't take your best passer and probably most creative player off and who the feck is frankie
Bad tactics tonight on 21:07 - Mar 5 with 975 viewsDavillin

Bad tactics tonight on 20:52 - Mar 5 by football2301

first of all 3 1 down take a defender off go 3 at the back you don't take your best passer and probably most creative player off and who the feck is frankie

I do not intend to argue with you, but I do wonder how many posters agree with you that Shelvey is Swansea's "best passer and [your word] probably most creative player."

Or, in the alternative, Swansea's "best passer" OR "probably most creative player."

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Bad tactics tonight on 21:16 - Mar 5 with 960 viewsfootball2301

Bad tactics tonight on 21:07 - Mar 5 by Davillin

I do not intend to argue with you, but I do wonder how many posters agree with you that Shelvey is Swansea's "best passer and [your word] probably most creative player."

Or, in the alternative, Swansea's "best passer" OR "probably most creative player."

who said anything about arguing name a better passer who has the range of passing he has not one player gets even close to him
Bad tactics tonight on 21:17 - Mar 5 with 958 viewsPozuelosSideys

Bad tactics tonight on 19:17 - Mar 5 by icecoldjack

"Having a shot on him" and the end result of him doing just that has given us 9 pts this season.

I'm guessing it really is beyond your ability if can't understand what leaving a player like that on the field brings.

Shelveys winner against Southampton came in the 83 rd minute.
Shelveys Winner/deflection against Man utd came in the 73 rd minute.

Both games where he basically won the points by staying on the field and "having a shot on him"

Lets not forget the Hull game either.

Im not saying he's perfect but when you are 3-1 down and trying to salvage something from the game a player like shelvey has the ability to bang one in from 25 yrds. He actually played pretty well against Spurs too and while it was hard to sub any midfielder subbing Jonjo was not what i would have done personally.

Id have subbed Cork, dropped Ki deeper and let Jonjo and Siggy try and get on goal, thats the beauty of football though, we all see different things.

You used to be really annoying, especially when Laudrup was around.

But you talk an awful lot of sense these days! Hard to disagree with most of what you write.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Bad tactics tonight on 10:39 - Mar 6 with 884 viewsicecoldjack

Bad tactics tonight on 21:17 - Mar 5 by PozuelosSideys

But you talk an awful lot of sense these days! Hard to disagree with most of what you write.

Ive always talked alot of sense mun! Lol
Bad tactics tonight on 18:46 - Mar 6 with 841 viewscurleigh

Bad tactics tonight on 09:50 - Mar 5 by oh_tommy_tommy

I have to whole heartedly agree with that .

And me, top post
Login to get fewer ads

Bad tactics tonight on 19:07 - Mar 6 with 832 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Bad tactics tonight on 21:17 - Mar 5 by PozuelosSideys

I would have subbed Routladge at that point as he wasn't doing much anyway.
You then have both Montero to get the ball across and Shelvey to distribute it or hit one at the goal.
I think Montero should ahve come on earlier as he had the beating of their defense.
Bad tactics tonight on 19:10 - Mar 6 with 829 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Bad tactics tonight on 19:06 - Mar 5 by twotimejack

Either him, ki or siggy Shouldn't have started in the 1st place.

They all contributed a great deal to the game, it is Routledge who shouldn't have been on instead of Montero
Bad tactics tonight on 22:45 - Mar 6 with 806 viewsDavillin

24 hours have passed since I asked that indirect question. No responses. I gi'e up.

Bad tactics tonight on 23:00 - Mar 6 with 800 viewsPozuelosSideys

Depends on your definitions.

Shelvey is the most likely player we have who'll create something out of nothing and most likely to find the Hollywood pass. What he isnt is one of most consistent performers, although that is improving - much like his on-field attitude as of late.

Id say he is at least on par with Gylfi for our most creative player as well.

Feel free to pick through that with your legalese and retort with some statistical jargon. Most of our fanbase see him for what he is. Yes he is flawed, but has lots of potential and we want him to fulfill that with our club. He wont get the slack at other clubs that he gets here. He can win games by himself. And yes, we know you dont rate him.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."

Bad tactics tonight on 01:29 - Mar 7 with 779 viewsDavillin

Bad tactics tonight on 23:00 - Mar 6 by PozuelosSideys

Depends on your definitions.

Shelvey is the most likely player we have who'll create something out of nothing and most likely to find the Hollywood pass. What he isnt is one of most consistent performers, although that is improving - much like his on-field attitude as of late.

Id say he is at least on par with Gylfi for our most creative player as well.

Feel free to pick through that with your legalese and retort with some statistical jargon. Most of our fanbase see him for what he is. Yes he is flawed, but has lots of potential and we want him to fulfill that with our club. He wont get the slack at other clubs that he gets here. He can win games by himself. And yes, we know you dont rate him.

Now that's a reasonable analysis, more fact-based than most Shelvey posts, and not bogged down in hero-worship. [No hidden meaning there.]

On a philosophical level, I'll disagree here with one of your points. No-one can "win games by himself" when the game is football played by XI against XI for 90 minutes. [No hidden meaning there, either.]

If this message board were a three-ring circus, the ringmaster would now ask for a drum roll [Brrrrrrrrrr] and fanfare [Ta-ra Ta-ra] and would intone, "He just performed this amazing feat without the lightest 'legalese' or rousing 'retort with statistical jargon.'"

[Oh, wait, perhaps I was a bit hasty in my bit about this board not being a three-ring circus. I'll have to re-think that and maybe get back to you.]

Bad tactics tonight on 02:11 - Mar 7 with 776 viewsPozuelosSideys

Bad tactics tonight on 01:29 - Mar 7 by Davillin

Now that's a reasonable analysis, more fact-based than most Shelvey posts, and not bogged down in hero-worship. [No hidden meaning there.]

On a philosophical level, I'll disagree here with one of your points. No-one can "win games by himself" when the game is football played by XI against XI for 90 minutes. [No hidden meaning there, either.]

If this message board were a three-ring circus, the ringmaster would now ask for a drum roll [Brrrrrrrrrr] and fanfare [Ta-ra Ta-ra] and would intone, "He just performed this amazing feat without the lightest 'legalese' or rousing 'retort with statistical jargon.'"

[Oh, wait, perhaps I was a bit hasty in my bit about this board not being a three-ring circus. I'll have to re-think that and maybe get back to you.]

Id argue Shelvey 'won' the Southampton game by himself. Playing by your rules, the rest of the team effectively defended well enough for us not to concede, and thus allow him the 2 shots (and 1 goal) that was enough to get us the points. The rest of the team offered nothing going forward. Therefore he did win the game for us, rather than just taking a point. Nobody else on the field could have pinged that in for us.

To be honest, i have no idea what a three-ring circus is. Hope it had no elephants or lions in though as i dont like that sort of thing. Not a fan of jugglers either tbh.. yawn.

I can entirely understand your frustrations with Shelvey and i know what they are, but im suprised you dont see what value he adds.

Bad tactics tonight on 02:28 - Mar 7 with 772 viewsdameedna

Monk could have taken Cork off and brought Monetero on
I would also have brought a winger - Barrow or Emnes - Routledge
I don't see why we took our best passer and most creative player off at the time
He was also defending well
In the end we came close to 3 - 3 but should have been 5 2 down by then
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024