Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question for Dav 19:26 - Mar 6 with 583 viewsCountyJim

Good evening with a lot of British Actors playing American parts how do you find their accents because when American Actors try British accents they do come over as Cockney or even Home Counties

I did read that many Americans thought Hugh Laurie was American because he played House so well and did anyone notice that during the entire House series he has a Cricket ball in his office
Question for Dav on 22:38 - Mar 6 with 554 viewsDavillin

You will understand this perfectly. Just as Wales has an almost uncountable number of accents -- even Swansea and the area has more than dozens -- so too does the United States. And the U.K.

Anyone who does "an American accent" must fail because there is none, just as anyone who does "a British accent" or "a Welsh accent" must fail for he same reason. "The Scottish accent" is even more difficult.

There is reportedly a form of "American English" that is supposed to be kind of a "one-size--fits-all" [I forget it's name} but it's not from any region.

I used to laugh when hearing anyone from any of the UK areas do "an American accent" -- almost, but not quite, as hard as hearing "an American" do one of the British ones. Now I just smile and ignore them.

A very few very talented actors can, with a good amount of training and practice, and experience, do a reasonably close regional accent from another English-speaking country, Katherine Zeta Jones is one who comes most readily to mind, as does that male Australian [name?] who is so popular in U.S. movies.

Years ago, in some language course somewhere, I learned that a person cannot get rid of his accent after a certain age [somewhere in the mid-teenage years]. Even when struggling to use a "new" accent, traces of it remain.

I did not watch House except for a few accidental snippets once in a while because it never piqued my interest, so I can't speak to his accent.

I doubt most Americans would recognise a cricket ball. They'd probably think it was an opaque fish bowl.

Thanks for a most interesting question.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Question for Dav on 23:49 - Mar 6 with 537 viewsperchrockjack

Interesting.
I had quite a strong swansea accent and moved away when 26.

Fair to say lot of it gone and now I sound like a Wrexham person.

I find American accents to be hard to determine apart from southern drawl, New York slang, mid west drawl and the Germanic spots around the Great Lakes.

Good stuff

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024