Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
OFFICIAL Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? 01:04 - Mar 12 with 18026 viewsScoobyWho

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

[Post edited 7 Apr 2015 21:11]

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 20:16 - Mar 15 with 1900 viewsmarchamjack

Genuine question

I live up here in rural Oxon. The local Tory MP will get returned. Fact.

I would never vote Tory.

Given the voting system we have, what is the point of me voting at all? I absolutely want to vote, but it's like I'm wasting half and hour of my life to drive to the polling station as my vote (non Tory) will literally be a waste of time. Plainly I'm not alone in this, but it really does make me wonder at the point of our voting sometimes in this country.

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 20:20 - Mar 15 with 1895 viewsexiledclaseboy

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 20:16 - Mar 15 by marchamjack

Genuine question

I would never vote Tory.

Given the voting system we have, what is the point of me voting at all? I absolutely want to vote, but it's like I'm wasting half and hour of my life to drive to the polling station as my vote (non Tory) will literally be a waste of time. Plainly I'm not alone in this, but it really does make me wonder at the point of our voting sometimes in this country.

There is no point really, apart from the knowledge that you're exercising your democratic right, some would say responsibility. Your situation is repeated across the whole country, there are hundreds of safe seats where the incumbent, whether they're Tory, Labour or anyone else, will win. It takes an electoral earthquake to shift them (Blair's win in 1997 was one such earthquake). Elections in the UK are decided by about one million people in about 100 marginal seats. Anyone else may as well not bother. I've been banging on about this for years but there is nothing, and I do mean nothing, democratic about the first past the post system we use for Westminster elections.

Poll: Tory leader

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 20:21 - Mar 15 with 1893 viewsScoobyWho

Genuine question

I would never vote Tory.

Good question, my view would be if you want the Torys out then vote for the party, irrespective of who they are that threaten them the most, be that Labour or UKIP. Of course the dilemma then may well be you vote for a party you do not trust.

It's going to be easy to no vote this election, and if all else fails just stick to your principles.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 20:32 - Mar 15 with 1882 viewsLohengrin

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 20:11 - Mar 15 by exiledclaseboy

I'm intrigued. Expand on that suggestion if you don't mind

It's not a new idea by any means its had plenty of advocates down the years, a few notables being Lloyd George and sometimes Keynes. The basic premise being both Houses become Technocratic workshops instead of talking shops. Let's say for example you worked within the automotive industry. Come election time (I think a five year cycle being the preferred option) you would vote for a candidate(s) that stood to advance the interests of that field. It simply asked people to trust the evidence of their own eyes within their workplace as to whether or not things were going well, and if not who offered the best policies going forward. It advocated governance by experts and valued detailed knowledge of the particular.

The Upper Chamber would become an advisory body populated by the most senior, the most experienced and acclaimed drawn from Industry, Commerce, The Arts etc... a sounding board and guiding hand to the Lower House.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 20:41 - Mar 15 with 1868 viewsexiledclaseboy

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 20:32 - Mar 15 by Lohengrin

It's not a new idea by any means its had plenty of advocates down the years, a few notables being Lloyd George and sometimes Keynes. The basic premise being both Houses become Technocratic workshops instead of talking shops. Let's say for example you worked within the automotive industry. Come election time (I think a five year cycle being the preferred option) you would vote for a candidate(s) that stood to advance the interests of that field. It simply asked people to trust the evidence of their own eyes within their workplace as to whether or not things were going well, and if not who offered the best policies going forward. It advocated governance by experts and valued detailed knowledge of the particular.

The Upper Chamber would become an advisory body populated by the most senior, the most experienced and acclaimed drawn from Industry, Commerce, The Arts etc... a sounding board and guiding hand to the Lower House.

Interesting. It might have had some merit back in the day but not now I don't think. Although anything that moves us away from the identikit career politicians we have now merits consideration.

Your last sentence about the upper chamber is exactly what the Lords should be though. Appointed, not elected, I'm not an advocate of an elected second chamber, but certainly not the retirement home/home for retired ministers who want to prolong their career that we have now. And get rid of the clergy, they have no business being there.

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 21:09 - Mar 15 with 1849 viewsPacemaker

Genuine question

I would never vote Tory.

I will always vote even in your situation, I always enjoy that little bit at the announcement about the number of spoilt votes knowing that's me, I am one of the awkward ones.....or the people who cannot hold a pencil properly.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 21:15 - Mar 15 with 1845 viewsLohengrin

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 20:41 - Mar 15 by exiledclaseboy

Interesting. It might have had some merit back in the day but not now I don't think. Although anything that moves us away from the identikit career politicians we have now merits consideration.

Your last sentence about the upper chamber is exactly what the Lords should be though. Appointed, not elected, I'm not an advocate of an elected second chamber, but certainly not the retirement home/home for retired ministers who want to prolong their career that we have now. And get rid of the clergy, they have no business being there.

I'm not so sure on your last part. My gut tells me that societies don't evolve healthily without a spiritual element to counter balance material advance and experience tells me that the Church contains some of the most broadly educated and cultured individuals a society acquires. It would be foolish to discount the potential for good ideas and sound initiatives such accomplished individuals may generate.

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 21:16 - Mar 15 with 1842 viewsLohengrin

Genuine question

I would never vote Tory.

Anywhere near Swinbrook?

EDIT: I could have answered that myself. About 18/20 miles, is it?

Spoil your wife, take her for a meal at The Swan Inn. Very, vey nice.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2015 21:22]

Login to get fewer ads

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 21:23 - Mar 15 with 1828 viewsPacemaker

I would describe myself as an atheist but always listen to thought for the day on R4 on my way to work.

I love the way that religious people from religions I have limited knowledge of talk about everyday things or current events it's very enlightening and I find myself perplexed by their interpretation of an event I have formed an opinion of but then find myself re assessing my own view. On that basis I think the clergy in the upper house are an important balance against popular opinion.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2015 21:24]

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 21:24 - Mar 15 with 1825 viewsGowerjack

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 19:28 - Mar 15 by ymaohyd

Plaid

Me too

I' m a leftie see.....

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 21:25 - Mar 15 with 1822 viewsLohengrin

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 21:23 - Mar 15 by Pacemaker

I would describe myself as an atheist but always listen to thought for the day on R4 on my way to work.

I love the way that religious people from religions I have limited knowledge of talk about everyday things or current events it's very enlightening and I find myself perplexed by their interpretation of an event I have formed an opinion of but then find myself re assessing my own view. On that basis I think the clergy in the upper house are an important balance against popular opinion.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2015 21:24]

There you go.

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 21:33 - Mar 15 with 1812 viewsPacemaker

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 21:25 - Mar 15 by Lohengrin

There you go.

It's strange that religions such as Hinduism, Budhism, Jewish and Islam often cause me to reassess my views, that's not to say the Archbishop of Lincoln, Liverpool or Leeds has not had the same effect.

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 00:01 - Mar 16 with 1746 viewsItchySphincter

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 19:28 - Mar 15 by ymaohyd

Plaid

Just can't get my head around voting plaid in a general election.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 00:04 - Mar 16 with 1743 viewsItchySphincter

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 20:11 - Mar 15 by skippyjack

Type in Ukip policies, Conservative policies, Labour policies, Lib Dem policies..

The only policies they're interested in is the money ones.. Just like the whole world populace!

People are generally swayed by the amount of spare coin in their pocket.

(No subject) (n/t) on 06:53 - Mar 16 with 1702 viewstrampie

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 00:01 - Mar 16 by ItchySphincter

Just can't get my head around voting plaid in a general election.

Because Plaid might have better policies than other parties, because their candidate might be the best candidate to represent the area and it gives somebody representing Wales (who puts Wales first) a voice in Parliament.

Why would anybody vote for anybody, Labour did not have many mps at one time and I remember the SNP being less relevant than Plaid, now the SNP rule the Scottish Parliament and according to the polls they are on the verge of sweeping the board in Scotland in this General Election, the Westminster parties are concerned the amount of power they could hold, doesnt sound like a wasted vote and they had to get to that point from having very few votes and seats, no doubt opponents would have said it was a wasted vote to try and stop them progressing a few years back (dont hear it as often these days now) .
[Post edited 16 Mar 2015 6:57]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

(No subject) (n/t) on 07:11 - Mar 16 with 1690 viewsdgt73

(No subject) (n/t) on 06:53 - Mar 16 by trampie

Because Plaid might have better policies than other parties, because their candidate might be the best candidate to represent the area and it gives somebody representing Wales (who puts Wales first) a voice in Parliament.

Why would anybody vote for anybody, Labour did not have many mps at one time and I remember the SNP being less relevant than Plaid, now the SNP rule the Scottish Parliament and according to the polls they are on the verge of sweeping the board in Scotland in this General Election, the Westminster parties are concerned the amount of power they could hold, doesnt sound like a wasted vote and they had to get to that point from having very few votes and seats, no doubt opponents would have said it was a wasted vote to try and stop them progressing a few years back (dont hear it as often these days now) .

Plaid are just a bunch of communists and anyone voting for them should have their head read.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 07:34 - Mar 16 with 1684 viewsbuilthjack

In Mid Wales, loads of people who are Labour, vote for the Lib Dems just to keep the Torys out. I have often wondered if they voted Labour instead, would Labour get in. The main Lib Dem canvassing material is all about keeping the Torys out, clever from them.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

(No subject) (n/t) on 07:48 - Mar 16 with 1672 viewstrampie

(No subject) (n/t) on 07:11 - Mar 16 by dgt73

Plaid are just a bunch of communists and anyone voting for them should have their head read.

Try telling that to Lohengrin.

Makes a change from some people thinking they are a petite bourgeoisie party that if you scratch below the surface you find a party full of teachers, solicitors, farmers, small businessmen and landowners.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:10 - Mar 16 with 1646 viewsjohnlangy

I'm assuming you had your tongue in cheek while typing that. You should have included a smiley
(No subject) (n/t) on 11:02 - Mar 16 with 1630 viewsexiledclaseboy

You clearly have no idea what communism is.

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:40 - Mar 16 with 1613 viewsskippyjack

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:02 - Mar 16 by exiledclaseboy

You clearly have no idea what communism is.

Planetswans

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 11:54 - Mar 16 with 1606 viewstrampie

A very attractive young woman described as a Plaid activist has burst the United Kingdom Independence Party balloon , quite literally .

Apparently a kippers candidate standing in the General Election has reported it to the police .

Some Plaid supporters don't seem to like kippers very much, a bit of a Wales v England thing going on perhaps.

Come on Wales.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2015 11:56]

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:32 - Mar 16 with 1555 viewsItchySphincter

(No subject) (n/t) on 06:53 - Mar 16 by trampie

It's a General Election. No place for Commie(?) fufwits. Please pardon yourself from this discussion.

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 18:01 - Mar 16 with 1526 viewsLohengrin

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 21:24 - Mar 15 by Gowerjack

Me too

I' m a leftie see.....

Mae'r barbariad ar y ffordd!

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 19:14 - Mar 16 with 1507 viewstrampie

Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ? on 20:21 - Mar 15 by ScoobyWho

Good question, my view would be if you want the Torys out then vote for the party, irrespective of who they are that threaten them the most, be that Labour or UKIP. Of course the dilemma then may well be you vote for a party you do not trust.

It's going to be easy to no vote this election, and if all else fails just stick to your principles.

If you want the Conservatives out why would you vote for Labour or UKIP [or Lib Dems come to that] they are all the same, you would be trying to get rid of one Tory party and replace it with another Tory party, they all occupy the same political ground, if you want Tories out whether they be Blue, Red, Purple or Yellow Tories then vote Plaid if you are in Wales and part of the revolution.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2015 19:16]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024