Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Truth About Sugar. 21:32 - Mar 19 with 4724 viewslifelong

On BBC1 now.

Very interesting, no wonder there are so many over weight people about with the amount of sugar packed into some food.
The Truth About Sugar. on 15:20 - Mar 23 with 1516 viewsC_jack

The Truth About Sugar. on 14:57 - Mar 23 by MillJack

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that eating "little and often" aids weight loss in any way.

On the contrary, intermittent fasting, including skipping breakfast and eating your calories in a set time period each day has proven effective in managing blood glucose levels and adding weight loss.

The long and short of it is that it is the quality of the food that is most important and eating less calories than you burn, etc. However, not all calories are created equal. It stands to reason that eating 2000cals of steak, or eating 2000cals of haribos, would cause different effects in the body.

I agree, intermittent fasting is great, it's called going to bed and waking up 7 hours later.

Hungry people will eat more, and over compensate, it's common sense really.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

The Truth About Sugar. on 16:47 - Mar 23 with 1495 viewsLeonisGod

The Truth About Sugar. on 23:00 - Mar 19 by perchrockjack

Missus only are fruit for lunch but still got diabetes 2 borderline case.

That's because she was eating mostly sugar, and probably 'bad' sugar at that. A lot of fruits are high in fructose (esp apples, pears, grapes and dried fruits) which is believed to be particularly bad for the liver and can lead to fatty liver as badly as alcohol abuse believe it or not. Just eating fruit would give huge sugar spikes that ain't going to do anyone any good.
The Truth About Sugar. on 22:46 - Mar 23 with 1454 viewsMillJack

The Truth About Sugar. on 15:20 - Mar 23 by C_jack

I agree, intermittent fasting is great, it's called going to bed and waking up 7 hours later.

Hungry people will eat more, and over compensate, it's common sense really.

How about just eating when you're hungry?

If you're not hungry when you wake up in the morning should you eat just because conventional wisdom tells you too?

As I said, while calories play a part, it's ultimately the quality of the food you eat that makes the biggest difference. There is no "right" diet but people keep regurgitating the old mantras like "small amounts and often", "breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper", etc. like they have any credence. They don't. It's the effect that various foods cause within your body that matter including effects on individual cells, hormones, gut bacteria and so on.
The Truth About Sugar. on 22:52 - Mar 23 with 1451 viewsDull1Thomas

The Truth About Sugar. on 22:06 - Mar 19 by monmouth

Allegedly you can't eat enough fruit because of the fibre to make it an issue. I can. I can eat huge amounts of anything.

Apparently, the sugar industry has lobbied and paid politicians and threatened lawsuits since the truth started leaking out in the 60s to keep this quiet, and the received wisdom was deliberately manipulated to target far less dangerous and damaging fats. I didn't realise that the savoury things had so much and even bran flakes ffs. Companies are scum.

A Pink Lady apple contains about 3 1/2 teaspoons of sugar (fructose).

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins step down?

The Truth About Sugar. on 19:49 - Mar 24 with 1411 viewswaynekerr55

The Truth About Sugar. on 22:46 - Mar 23 by MillJack

If you're not hungry when you wake up in the morning should you eat just because conventional wisdom tells you too?

As I said, while calories play a part, it's ultimately the quality of the food you eat that makes the biggest difference. There is no "right" diet but people keep regurgitating the old mantras like "small amounts and often", "breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper", etc. like they have any credence. They don't. It's the effect that various foods cause within your body that matter including effects on individual cells, hormones, gut bacteria and so on.

And the types of calories.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The Truth About Sugar. on 19:57 - Mar 24 with 1406 viewslifelong

The Truth About Sugar. on 11:36 - Mar 21 by max936

Complex carbs like Quinoa is the way forward waynekerr55, can't stand it myself though

Bought a packet of that Quinoa in Tesco's yesterday.

It was okay mixed with some fruit.
The Truth About Sugar. on 20:23 - Mar 24 with 1400 viewsC_jack

The Truth About Sugar. on 22:46 - Mar 23 by MillJack

Surely, in lehmans terms, hunger is the brain telling you that you need to refuel? Feeling hungry is not a measured alarm clock since your last meal, it's a neurological message that you have neglected to replenish your fuel reserves.

So by that measure , you should only drink when your thirsty? As they say, feeling thirsty is not a warning that you are going to be dehydrated, it's one to tell you that you already are.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

The Truth About Sugar. on 20:55 - Mar 24 with 1378 viewsMillJack

The Truth About Sugar. on 20:23 - Mar 24 by C_jack

Surely, in lehmans terms, hunger is the brain telling you that you need to refuel? Feeling hungry is not a measured alarm clock since your last meal, it's a neurological message that you have neglected to replenish your fuel reserves.

So by that measure , you should only drink when your thirsty? As they say, feeling thirsty is not a warning that you are going to be dehydrated, it's one to tell you that you already are.

You've inadvertantly made my point for me in your first paragraph. If I wake up in the morning and am not hungry should I eat just because it's assumed that you should eat breakfast? Likewise, if I eat a breakfast of a 16oz steak and 4 eggs causing me to not be hungry at lunchtime, should I eat another meal even though I don't want one? Who decided that breakfast, lunch and dinner is the "correct" way, or 6 little and often meals, or one meal a day? As I said previously, there is no right way just what's right for you. I don't eat breakfast, I never have really, but I have enough energy to see me through to lunch with plenty of water and a coffee. Is that wrong? Not for me, but if it is in your eyes then I'm sure I can deal with it.

Secondly, being thirsty is not a sign on dehydration, not in the clinical sense anyway. Feeling thirsty is a sign that you need water, not to prevent serious health implications, but simply to keep you at the optimum level. If you ignore these signs for 24-48 hours then yes, you run the risk of complications but that's pretty rare in the grand scheme of things.
Login to get fewer ads

The Truth About Sugar. on 21:00 - Mar 24 with 1373 viewsMillJack

The Truth About Sugar. on 19:49 - Mar 24 by waynekerr55

And the types of calories.

Exactly.

If you asked two people to follow the large breakfast, medium lunch, small dinner mantra but one ate only pasta, rice, pizzas, and fruit while the other ate only grass fed steaks, green vegetables, eggs, nuts, etc. you'd see a huge difference within their relative body compositions in only a few weeks.
The Truth About Sugar. on 21:00 - Mar 24 with 1373 viewswaynekerr55

The Truth About Sugar. on 20:55 - Mar 24 by MillJack

You've inadvertantly made my point for me in your first paragraph. If I wake up in the morning and am not hungry should I eat just because it's assumed that you should eat breakfast? Likewise, if I eat a breakfast of a 16oz steak and 4 eggs causing me to not be hungry at lunchtime, should I eat another meal even though I don't want one? Who decided that breakfast, lunch and dinner is the "correct" way, or 6 little and often meals, or one meal a day? As I said previously, there is no right way just what's right for you. I don't eat breakfast, I never have really, but I have enough energy to see me through to lunch with plenty of water and a coffee. Is that wrong? Not for me, but if it is in your eyes then I'm sure I can deal with it.

Secondly, being thirsty is not a sign on dehydration, not in the clinical sense anyway. Feeling thirsty is a sign that you need water, not to prevent serious health implications, but simply to keep you at the optimum level. If you ignore these signs for 24-48 hours then yes, you run the risk of complications but that's pretty rare in the grand scheme of things.

Have you read the work of Professor Tim Noakes by any chance?

He's well worth a follow on Twitter.

Certainly exploding the 'low fat' myth

The Truth About Sugar. on 21:05 - Mar 24 with 1369 viewsMillJack

The Truth About Sugar. on 21:00 - Mar 24 by waynekerr55

Have you read the work of Professor Tim Noakes by any chance?

He's well worth a follow on Twitter.

Certainly exploding the 'low fat' myth

I haven't no but I'll take a look. I'm a regular reader of marksdailyapple.com, although some of the Paleo stuff is a little left field even for me!

The Diet Delusion by Gary Taubes really started to make me think about the quality of foods I eat, where they come from, etc. I've still got a long way to go but do get frustrated at people who regurgitate the same old dietary advice, particularly when this advice breaks the whole subject into far too simple a subject. Calories in, calories out is still repeated as fact in mainstream media but was disproven a long time ago in its traditional sense.
The Truth About Sugar. on 21:14 - Mar 24 with 1360 viewslonglostjack

Bit of balance here

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/23/opinion/the-myth-of-high-protein-diets.html

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

The Truth About Sugar. on 21:18 - Mar 24 with 1355 viewslonglostjack

But I wonder how the Argentinans manage to survive.

The Truth About Sugar. on 21:48 - Mar 24 with 1345 viewswaynekerr55

The Truth About Sugar. on 21:05 - Mar 24 by MillJack

I haven't no but I'll take a look. I'm a regular reader of marksdailyapple.com, although some of the Paleo stuff is a little left field even for me!

The Diet Delusion by Gary Taubes really started to make me think about the quality of foods I eat, where they come from, etc. I've still got a long way to go but do get frustrated at people who regurgitate the same old dietary advice, particularly when this advice breaks the whole subject into far too simple a subject. Calories in, calories out is still repeated as fact in mainstream media but was disproven a long time ago in its traditional sense.

I stimulated a discussion with my class the other day based on the statement:

"If you want to gain muscle mass, you should maintain energy balance"

Consumption of excess calories = increased fat mass. On the topic of fat, it's a much neglected nutrient:

The Truth About Sugar. on 23:19 - Mar 24 with 1330 viewsMillJack

The Truth About Sugar. on 21:14 - Mar 24 by longlostjack

Bit of balance here

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/23/opinion/the-myth-of-high-protein-diets.html

The article is written by Dean Ornish, a man who makes a living selling a diet that is based around veganism. There are so many holes in his argument that I would be here all night, so I'll just leave it to this guy to rip it to pieces....

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/low-carb-diets/dr-dean-ornish-blasts-high-pro
[Post edited 24 Mar 2015 23:34]
The Truth About Sugar. on 11:42 - Mar 25 with 1279 viewsmacthejack

I really think people read far too much into dieting etc.

Three balanced meals a day, with maybe the occasional healthy snack, plenty of vegetables, chicken, fish etc and easy on the unhealthy foods.

Get plenty of exercise.
The Truth About Sugar. on 11:55 - Mar 25 with 1276 viewsmonmouth

The Truth About Sugar. on 11:42 - Mar 25 by macthejack

Three balanced meals a day, with maybe the occasional healthy snack, plenty of vegetables, chicken, fish etc and easy on the unhealthy foods.

Get plenty of exercise.

Lots and lots of money to be made from dietary 'advice' and particularly new fads though. My own? Use a tape measure not a weighing scale, find out what affects YOU by trial and error; get a mix of of protein carb and fat; eat what remains after that, that you enjoy and forget it and enjoy what remains of your life. I just lost 2 mins typing this sh1t.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Truth About Sugar. on 13:09 - Mar 25 with 1259 viewsMillJack

The Truth About Sugar. on 11:55 - Mar 25 by monmouth

Lots and lots of money to be made from dietary 'advice' and particularly new fads though. My own? Use a tape measure not a weighing scale, find out what affects YOU by trial and error; get a mix of of protein carb and fat; eat what remains after that, that you enjoy and forget it and enjoy what remains of your life. I just lost 2 mins typing this sh1t.

Spot on.

People are too keen to follow advice given in books and preach it as gospel, completely ignoring the fact that every single person on this planet is different.

Trial and error is the best option but people are generally impatient and want a quick fix.
The Truth About Sugar. on 07:58 - Mar 26 with 1216 viewslonglostjack

http://devour.com/video/how-to-become-gluten-intolerant/

The Truth About Sugar. on 15:50 - Mar 26 with 1186 viewswaynekerr55

The Truth About Sugar. on 11:42 - Mar 25 by macthejack

Get plenty of exercise.

There are no bad foods, only bad diets and as MillJack says individual needs are different

The Truth About Sugar. on 17:02 - Mar 26 with 1175 viewslondonlisa2001

The amount of nonsense that is currently been spread around the media about sugar is similar to the amount of nonsense that was spread around for years about fat.

There is a big difference between sugars that are naturally occurring in foods that are supposed to be 'sweet' (fruits, vegetables etc) and sugar that is artificially added to food that is not (eg. burgers, pies, ready meals etc). Adding in sweeteners rather than sugar is just a fad similar to that seen when for a while 'margarine' became the rage - the answer is to train your pallet to want less 'sweet' stuff, not to replace sugars with sweeteners.

Your body absorbs sugar differently depending on what is with it. The whole '3 teaspoons of sugar in an apple' doesn't mean it's the same as taking 3 teaspoons of sugar in a mug of tea or having a cake. The fibre in an apple means that your body absorbs and uses it differently. An apple is also full of good nutrients (good quality fruit essential) whereas a doughnut is not. The only problem with fruit juice is the sheer amount that someone can drink. You wouldn't eat 5 pieces of fruit in a sitting, so having the juice of 5 oranges in a glass is ridiculous.

A very senior NHS nutritionist once said to me - 'the obesity wards of hospitals are not full of people that have eaten too much fruit' .

Also, all calories are not the same (irrespective of what some media say). That is why it is becoming relatively common to see people that are both obese and malnourished. It is estimated that in order for a human to easily receive all the nutrients he or she needs, they should really be eating about 9000 calories a day. However, we don't live any longer as the human body was designed to live - we are almost unbelievably sedentary for an animal. So we have to adjust our consumption to reflect that (to about 2,000 - 3,000 calories a day depending on gender, muscle mass, level of activity etc etc). Therefore, it is important that the calories we do take in are nutrient rich rather than 'empty'.

If you look at athletes who do take in huge quantities of calories (up to 10,000 a day or so) they will always say it doesn't matter much how they take them - they will be getting the right nutrition anyway through sheer quantity of food. Those of is that can't do this, because we are not active enough, have to try to take them in much more carefully.

In response to the other 'fad' stuff. There is no doubt that people are increasingly adversely affected by both gluten and dairy. The gluten free thing is not a trendy fad - there is a lot of evidence that processed glutens are causing huge amounts of IBS and other digestive problems. One of the issues is the freezing of bread during the lifecycle which changes the nature of the gluten and makes it very difficult to efficiently digest for most people. Years ago, bread was made and consumed fresh (think how quickly it used to go stale) and now it is not (even in a lot of up market bakers, the bread is brought in frozen and then 'baked'). If you eat bread in countries where it is bought every day (France / Italy etc) there are far fewer problems.

Dairy - well everyone loves a bit of good cheese, but the reality is that everyone should avoid it apart from as a treat. We are the only animal that consumes the milk of another animal and the only animal that consumes milk after weaning (ignoring household cats etc, which do it because we give it to them - they don't drink milk in the wild in the same way as a wild dog doesn't eat biscuits).

The problem is with the whole industry, is that it is full of people that are trying to make money from a book, and are selling that book to people that are inherently lazy - this is not our fault - all animals are inherently lazy if food is easy to come by and will do as little as possible once they are full and warm. All animals also naturally over eat when food is plentiful - the problem that we have is that food is always plentiful. So the only thing we can all do really, is to force ourselves to be as active as possible (much as we may not want to), and to be conscious of what we eat, even though our natural instincts are to eat as much as possible and sit somewhere warm.
The Truth About Sugar. on 18:08 - Mar 26 with 1166 viewsMillJack

The Truth About Sugar. on 17:02 - Mar 26 by londonlisa2001

The amount of nonsense that is currently been spread around the media about sugar is similar to the amount of nonsense that was spread around for years about fat.

There is a big difference between sugars that are naturally occurring in foods that are supposed to be 'sweet' (fruits, vegetables etc) and sugar that is artificially added to food that is not (eg. burgers, pies, ready meals etc). Adding in sweeteners rather than sugar is just a fad similar to that seen when for a while 'margarine' became the rage - the answer is to train your pallet to want less 'sweet' stuff, not to replace sugars with sweeteners.

Your body absorbs sugar differently depending on what is with it. The whole '3 teaspoons of sugar in an apple' doesn't mean it's the same as taking 3 teaspoons of sugar in a mug of tea or having a cake. The fibre in an apple means that your body absorbs and uses it differently. An apple is also full of good nutrients (good quality fruit essential) whereas a doughnut is not. The only problem with fruit juice is the sheer amount that someone can drink. You wouldn't eat 5 pieces of fruit in a sitting, so having the juice of 5 oranges in a glass is ridiculous.

A very senior NHS nutritionist once said to me - 'the obesity wards of hospitals are not full of people that have eaten too much fruit' .

Also, all calories are not the same (irrespective of what some media say). That is why it is becoming relatively common to see people that are both obese and malnourished. It is estimated that in order for a human to easily receive all the nutrients he or she needs, they should really be eating about 9000 calories a day. However, we don't live any longer as the human body was designed to live - we are almost unbelievably sedentary for an animal. So we have to adjust our consumption to reflect that (to about 2,000 - 3,000 calories a day depending on gender, muscle mass, level of activity etc etc). Therefore, it is important that the calories we do take in are nutrient rich rather than 'empty'.

If you look at athletes who do take in huge quantities of calories (up to 10,000 a day or so) they will always say it doesn't matter much how they take them - they will be getting the right nutrition anyway through sheer quantity of food. Those of is that can't do this, because we are not active enough, have to try to take them in much more carefully.

In response to the other 'fad' stuff. There is no doubt that people are increasingly adversely affected by both gluten and dairy. The gluten free thing is not a trendy fad - there is a lot of evidence that processed glutens are causing huge amounts of IBS and other digestive problems. One of the issues is the freezing of bread during the lifecycle which changes the nature of the gluten and makes it very difficult to efficiently digest for most people. Years ago, bread was made and consumed fresh (think how quickly it used to go stale) and now it is not (even in a lot of up market bakers, the bread is brought in frozen and then 'baked'). If you eat bread in countries where it is bought every day (France / Italy etc) there are far fewer problems.

Dairy - well everyone loves a bit of good cheese, but the reality is that everyone should avoid it apart from as a treat. We are the only animal that consumes the milk of another animal and the only animal that consumes milk after weaning (ignoring household cats etc, which do it because we give it to them - they don't drink milk in the wild in the same way as a wild dog doesn't eat biscuits).

The problem is with the whole industry, is that it is full of people that are trying to make money from a book, and are selling that book to people that are inherently lazy - this is not our fault - all animals are inherently lazy if food is easy to come by and will do as little as possible once they are full and warm. All animals also naturally over eat when food is plentiful - the problem that we have is that food is always plentiful. So the only thing we can all do really, is to force ourselves to be as active as possible (much as we may not want to), and to be conscious of what we eat, even though our natural instincts are to eat as much as possible and sit somewhere warm.

A truly superb post, nice one Lisa!
The Truth About Sugar. on 18:37 - Mar 26 with 1157 viewsmonmouth

Only one beef with Lisa's post and that is that I could easily eat 5 oranges, or 5 bagels, or, come to that, 5 vindaloos. I am what's known in the trade as a greedy bugger. The only reason I couldn't eat 5 shredded wheat is that they are so f*cking horrible.

I have to run 30 miles a week to keep myself half a stone overweight.

Otherwise spot on. Any plank that writes a diet book should be made to stick to it strictly for the rest of their miserable life..

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Truth About Sugar. on 18:59 - Mar 26 with 1145 viewslondonlisa2001

The Truth About Sugar. on 18:37 - Mar 26 by monmouth

Only one beef with Lisa's post and that is that I could easily eat 5 oranges, or 5 bagels, or, come to that, 5 vindaloos. I am what's known in the trade as a greedy bugger. The only reason I couldn't eat 5 shredded wheat is that they are so f*cking horrible.

I have to run 30 miles a week to keep myself half a stone overweight.

Otherwise spot on. Any plank that writes a diet book should be made to stick to it strictly for the rest of their miserable life..

ha ha - ell in which case, you're still better off having 5 oranges than a glass of the juice of 5 oranges. All the fibre will stop the sugars being absorbed in the same way (there is a reason that you're told if you see someone diabetic becoming hypo that you should give them orange juice - the sugar gets very quickly absorbed and will spike blood sugars quickly in the absence of anything else).

Running 30 miles a week is good going though, as, to be completely honest, is only being about 7 pounds overweight. That sort of amount has very very little adverse effect (if any really). There is a margin of error built in ...

The problem comes with being very overweight (or underweight for that matter) and badly nourished.

Note that all of this is easier said than done - it's very hard to resist having unhealthy food / drink (although I actually find it pretty easy to resist ready meals / junk food - I don't like it). Harder to resist chocolate and red wine :-)
The Truth About Sugar. on 20:09 - Mar 26 with 1128 viewswaynekerr55

The Truth About Sugar. on 18:59 - Mar 26 by londonlisa2001

ha ha - ell in which case, you're still better off having 5 oranges than a glass of the juice of 5 oranges. All the fibre will stop the sugars being absorbed in the same way (there is a reason that you're told if you see someone diabetic becoming hypo that you should give them orange juice - the sugar gets very quickly absorbed and will spike blood sugars quickly in the absence of anything else).

Running 30 miles a week is good going though, as, to be completely honest, is only being about 7 pounds overweight. That sort of amount has very very little adverse effect (if any really). There is a margin of error built in ...

The problem comes with being very overweight (or underweight for that matter) and badly nourished.

Note that all of this is easier said than done - it's very hard to resist having unhealthy food / drink (although I actually find it pretty easy to resist ready meals / junk food - I don't like it). Harder to resist chocolate and red wine :-)

Have you tried any of Perch's recommendations on the red wine front Lisa?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024