Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson 14:15 - Mar 25 with 11442 viewsjackharris

The Top Gear Presenter's contract will not be renewed! Prepare for Marmite opinions on him. I thoroughly enjoyed the Top Gear Specials and the entertaining Challenges, etc. On the other hand the man himself could, of course, be described as being thoroughly obnoxious. However, there is is no disputing that he, his chums and the Top Gear production crew made the BBC millions.

I also really enjoyed the documentary he did on the Arctic convoys of World War 2. He probably has many shows lined up.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2015 14:24]

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 14:48 - Mar 27 with 1779 viewslondonlisa2001

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 14:24 - Mar 27 by blueytheblue

I'm a sucker for blonde Jewish women who are excellent poker players tbh.

I imagine your wife can rest safe then as there aren't too many around I would imagine :-)
End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 14:48 - Mar 27 with 1779 viewsJackSomething

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 14:24 - Mar 27 by blueytheblue

I'm a sucker for blonde Jewish women who are excellent poker players tbh.

That sentence is screaming out to be on a dating profile...

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 16:31 - Mar 27 with 1750 viewsHumpty

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 09:21 - Mar 27 by blueytheblue

Nobody has any idea of the full context of circumstances leading up to what happened is the point.

Yeah, "absolute f***ing tool". Stay classy.

What about people chasing after another employee with a brick? Can't recall Chico being sacked, eh?

Yes we do. Clarkson wanted a steak. He couldn't have one as he stayed in the pub too long. So he punched someone. Someone in a less powerful position than himself, because someone must be responsible for him not having a steak. Because he really, really wanted a steak.

Anyone defending that is a tool.

You are defending him. Ergo.
End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 18:06 - Mar 27 with 1719 viewsStarsky

For the 10 years I've been posting on here the 'illuminati' have been yawning all over top gear.

I never agreed with them and always made a particular point of watching the specials.

Great stuff. I don't care if it's staged. Wrestling is staged and people love that too.

The show with the Clarkson in the 3 wheeler had me and the wife crying with laughter.

We both love Lee Evans as well. Lisa, there's no hope for me. :-)

Although, as Clasie said, punch an employee, your gonna deserve your marching orders.

Didn't like Coogan either but for some reason I do laugh at the Dan Sketch.

It's just the internet, init.

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 18:50 - Mar 27 with 1710 viewslondonlisa2001

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 18:06 - Mar 27 by Starsky

For the 10 years I've been posting on here the 'illuminati' have been yawning all over top gear.

I never agreed with them and always made a particular point of watching the specials.

Great stuff. I don't care if it's staged. Wrestling is staged and people love that too.

The show with the Clarkson in the 3 wheeler had me and the wife crying with laughter.

We both love Lee Evans as well. Lisa, there's no hope for me. :-)

Although, as Clasie said, punch an employee, your gonna deserve your marching orders.

Didn't like Coogan either but for some reason I do laugh at the Dan Sketch.

You're the one!!

No - I know loads of people that absolutely love him - I just can't find him funny at all. But then I don't find Mrs Browns Boys funny either and I've friends that fall about laughing at that !!

I've always found Top Gear quite funny to be honest - for all that it's blokey, I've quite enjoyed the ones I've seen, although I never make a point of watching particularly. I like James May, Clarkson I find amusing as well although the little one I've always found a bit irritating.
End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 19:15 - Mar 27 with 1702 viewsblueytheblue

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 16:31 - Mar 27 by Humpty

Yes we do. Clarkson wanted a steak. He couldn't have one as he stayed in the pub too long. So he punched someone. Someone in a less powerful position than himself, because someone must be responsible for him not having a steak. Because he really, really wanted a steak.

Anyone defending that is a tool.

You are defending him. Ergo.

Spoken like a true BBC Birt-ist.

Defending no. Pointing out the aftermath could have been handled better sure.

I had to temporarily step in and do some management at one place. Hated the paperwork. A similar incident happened, a punch was thrown between two people, one more senior to the other, on the team over something and nothing.

Getting wind of it, I could have gone the route the BBC had done, informed HR leading to a costly process - and in that instance, HR generally want blood to justify the expense.

I took the two down the local pub - oops, I committed a offence there, drinking at lunchtime - and metaphorically banged heads together. Both accepted what happened was dumb, an apology was offered, hands shaken and a single pint bought.

Problem solved; nobody fired, those two bonded and the team was stronger.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 19:21 - Mar 27 with 1697 viewsPozuelosSideys

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 19:15 - Mar 27 by blueytheblue

I had to temporarily step in and do some management at one place. Hated the paperwork. A similar incident happened, a punch was thrown between two people, one more senior to the other, on the team over something and nothing.

Getting wind of it, I could have gone the route the BBC had done, informed HR leading to a costly process - and in that instance, HR generally want blood to justify the expense.

I took the two down the local pub - oops, I committed a offence there, drinking at lunchtime - and metaphorically banged heads together. Both accepted what happened was dumb, an apology was offered, hands shaken and a single pint bought.

Shut yer face, youre talking far too much sense!

Sounds like a bunch of handbags to me. Blokes will always push and shove each other when annoyed, they get over it pretty quickly too, just as those two seem to have done. I suspect theyve spent many hours, days, weeks, months around each other during filming and will know each other pretty well. How many guys fall out with mates over something stupid, come to blows and then got over it by the next day?

Highly unlikely to be "bullying". There are far more dangerous issues in the workplace such as the emotional and mental side of a prolonged torment - often that goes unseen and is much more destructive.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 19:33 - Mar 27 with 1686 viewsStarsky

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 18:50 - Mar 27 by londonlisa2001

You're the one!!

No - I know loads of people that absolutely love him - I just can't find him funny at all. But then I don't find Mrs Browns Boys funny either and I've friends that fall about laughing at that !!

I've always found Top Gear quite funny to be honest - for all that it's blokey, I've quite enjoyed the ones I've seen, although I never make a point of watching particularly. I like James May, Clarkson I find amusing as well although the little one I've always found a bit irritating.

Mrs Browns boys... Great show!

Best show ever though is The Big Bang Theory

Login to get fewer ads

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 19:43 - Mar 27 with 1681 viewslondonlisa2001

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 19:33 - Mar 27 by Starsky

Love the Big Bang Theory. How ever many times I see the one when Amy gets a tiara I still fall about laughing (as does the girl who plays Penny - she can't stop herself).

How on earth can you love that and Mrs Browns Boys as well :-)

I like 2 Broke Girls as well - largely because of Jennifer Coolidge who is brilliant in it (as she is in everything I've ever seen her in).
End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 20:18 - Mar 27 with 1662 viewsStarsky

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 19:43 - Mar 27 by londonlisa2001

Love the Big Bang Theory. How ever many times I see the one when Amy gets a tiara I still fall about laughing (as does the girl who plays Penny - she can't stop herself).

I like 2 Broke Girls as well - largely because of Jennifer Coolidge who is brilliant in it (as she is in everything I've ever seen her in).

I've not seen the last show you mentioned but Mrs Browns boys... It's just pure pants for grown ups.

The Big Bang Theory fascinates me.

Whoever writes those deliciously sharp scripts also has to have a degree in quantum physics.

Show me somebody in a white coat with a sense of humour?

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 20:20 - Mar 27 with 1660 viewsblueytheblue

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 19:43 - Mar 27 by londonlisa2001

If you've got Sky, I heartily recommend Psychobitches on Sky Arts 1.

It's basically a psychotherapists office, the therapist being the excellent Rebecca Front as the straight person. Various comedy greats are in there, as famous women from history. So you see all these famous women having their therapy sessions... hysterical. Wife can't stop laughing although she was nearly sick seeing Johnny Vegas as Salome.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2015 20:36]

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 20:56 - Mar 27 with 1641 viewsLohengrin

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 20:18 - Mar 27 by Starsky

I've not seen the last show you mentioned but Mrs Browns boys... It's just pure pants for grown ups.

The Big Bang Theory fascinates me.

Whoever writes those deliciously sharp scripts also has to have a degree in quantum physics.

Show me somebody in a white coat with a sense of humour?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 21:47 - Mar 27 with 1615 viewsStarsky

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 20:56 - Mar 27 by Lohengrin

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 22:22 - Mar 27 with 1606 viewsWarwickHunt

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 19:15 - Mar 27 by blueytheblue

You're comparing Bloggs Widgets with a media storm involving a publicly funded national institution?

Christ on a f*cking bike.

ps Birt was universally loathed at the BBC for introducing the absurd "internal market" and selling off the family silver. He'd have given Clarkson a pay rise.

Have another go.
End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 07:59 - Mar 28 with 1578 viewswaynekerr55

You are Sheldon

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 08:28 - Mar 28 with 1570 viewsepaul

I hanker for the heyday of Richard Richard and Eddie Hitler, now that was the best

As for that c*nt Clarkson, got everything he deserved

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 10:19 - Mar 28 with 1546 viewsblueytheblue

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 22:22 - Mar 27 by WarwickHunt

You're comparing Bloggs Widgets with a media storm involving a publicly funded national institution?

Christ on a f*cking bike.

ps Birt was universally loathed at the BBC for introducing the absurd "internal market" and selling off the family silver. He'd have given Clarkson a pay rise.

Have another go.

Media storm. That's the key to it.

Don't pretend the firing which wasn't actually a firing had anything to do with nominal justice or fairness; it was nothing more than a PR action which is actually pretty patronising. Trying to look like doing the right thing in the eyes of the media rather than having the convictions to do the right thing.

If you're saying a similar incident should be resolved differently based upon how much interest the media play in it, then there's no semblance of doing the right thing, doing the best thing. It's all about appearance.

Birt-speak still exists within the BBC along with the overly beauraucratic hierarchy there. La plus ca change and all that.

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 11:50 - Mar 28 with 1527 viewsWarwickHunt

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 10:19 - Mar 28 by blueytheblue

Media storm. That's the key to it.

Don't pretend the firing which wasn't actually a firing had anything to do with nominal justice or fairness; it was nothing more than a PR action which is actually pretty patronising. Trying to look like doing the right thing in the eyes of the media rather than having the convictions to do the right thing.

If you're saying a similar incident should be resolved differently based upon how much interest the media play in it, then there's no semblance of doing the right thing, doing the best thing. It's all about appearance.

Birt-speak still exists within the BBC along with the overly beauraucratic hierarchy there. La plus ca change and all that.

A serial offender who abused and punched an underling in public keeps his job? Really?
You conveniently omitted the publicly funded national institution bit...
Anyway, I don't think Birt invented management-speak and you couldn't have picked a worse example of the BBC ethos.

Long service BBC employees (my very senior missus included) have to walk on eggshells with the public and junior staff alike - and that's behind closed doors.

You've had a mare. Put the shovel down.
End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 12:11 - Mar 28 with 1519 viewsblueytheblue

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 11:50 - Mar 28 by WarwickHunt

A serial offender who abused and punched an underling in public keeps his job? Really?
You conveniently omitted the publicly funded national institution bit...
Anyway, I don't think Birt invented management-speak and you couldn't have picked a worse example of the BBC ethos.

Long service BBC employees (my very senior missus included) have to walk on eggshells with the public and junior staff alike - and that's behind closed doors.

You've had a mare. Put the shovel down.

Birt certainly gave some of the worst examples of management speak.

Publicly funded - public tax really. Why should people have to fund a channel they may rarely, if at all, watch? Let the BBC be self-sufficient. National institution - it's declined massively over the years and not purely due to increased competition. BBC output at the moment is a mismash of not really knowing what it wants to be or where it wants to go.

I'm sure many eggshells are walked on. After all, the lengths the BBC went to suppress any programme investigating Savile, Comic Relief et al.

Now again, are you claiming Clarkson was fired as has been widely reported by the media? He wasn't fired. Fact. A contract not being renewed is not a firing; after all Clarkson be under no obligation to renew.

If the BBC case was as iron clad as claimed then fire him. No fudging, fire for gross misconduct.

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 14:52 - Mar 28 with 1491 viewsWarwickHunt

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 12:11 - Mar 28 by blueytheblue

Birt certainly gave some of the worst examples of management speak.

Publicly funded - public tax really. Why should people have to fund a channel they may rarely, if at all, watch? Let the BBC be self-sufficient. National institution - it's declined massively over the years and not purely due to increased competition. BBC output at the moment is a mismash of not really knowing what it wants to be or where it wants to go.

I'm sure many eggshells are walked on. After all, the lengths the BBC went to suppress any programme investigating Savile, Comic Relief et al.

Now again, are you claiming Clarkson was fired as has been widely reported by the media? He wasn't fired. Fact. A contract not being renewed is not a firing; after all Clarkson be under no obligation to renew.

If the BBC case was as iron clad as claimed then fire him. No fudging, fire for gross misconduct.

He was negotiating a new contract as his old one was just about to run out. He was effectively sacked in the most efficient way - i.e. without any legal implications. A sensible and pragmatic conclusion rather than dick waving.

I get to see complaints over the most trivial things imaginable from utter f*cking fruitcakes - they all have to be treated with utmost respect and sympathy. You can't even shout at staff or openly criticise them without a severe reprimand, let alone giving one of them a dig FFS.
End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 16:03 - Mar 28 with 1458 viewsblueytheblue

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 14:52 - Mar 28 by WarwickHunt

He was negotiating a new contract as his old one was just about to run out. He was effectively sacked in the most efficient way - i.e. without any legal implications. A sensible and pragmatic conclusion rather than dick waving.

I get to see complaints over the most trivial things imaginable from utter f*cking fruitcakes - they all have to be treated with utmost respect and sympathy. You can't even shout at staff or openly criticise them without a severe reprimand, let alone giving one of them a dig FFS.

You don't let contracts run down of people you want to keep. That gives the talent leverage in any deal. Poor management at the minimum there.

If BBC had come out and said "Having reviewed the situation and considering the history, we'd decided not to renew" then I'd tend to agree. What I dislike is the way it's been portrayed as a firing. Legal implications smegal implications - with one month to go you're not talking a multi million lawsuit for unfair dismissal.

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 16:46 - Mar 28 with 1441 viewsWarwickHunt

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 16:03 - Mar 28 by blueytheblue

You don't let contracts run down of people you want to keep. That gives the talent leverage in any deal. Poor management at the minimum there.

If BBC had come out and said "Having reviewed the situation and considering the history, we'd decided not to renew" then I'd tend to agree. What I dislike is the way it's been portrayed as a firing. Legal implications smegal implications - with one month to go you're not talking a multi million lawsuit for unfair dismissal.

You mean like this statement from Tony Hall...

"It is with great regret that I have told Jeremy Clarkson today that the BBC will not be renewing his contract. It is not a decision I have taken lightly. I have done so only after a very careful consideration of the facts and after personally meeting both Jeremy and Oisin Tymon."

Sack or not renew a contract with just a few weeks remaining? Occam's razor...

Contract negotiations involve two sides in my experience and brinkmanship is pretty common when the stakes are this high. It's public money that would have been going into Clarkson's pocket after all.

Another reason for his contract not being renewed earlier was he was very much on probation after repeatedly being a bit of a knob. You probably didn't notice...
End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 17:32 - Mar 28 with 1429 viewsperchrockjack

Clarkson takes great pleasure in patronising the plebs or working classes so why the support for Jim on him.

Piece of filth every man would love to punch. I would anyway.

Just wished I'd been on the same place. I'd love to meet him

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 17:59 - Mar 28 with 1423 viewsjohnlangy

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 14:55 - Mar 25 by raynor94

So you are condoning him smacking an innocent person in the mouth? BBC acted entirely correctly, as would any company

100% correct.
End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 18:56 - Mar 28 with 1410 viewsblueytheblue

BBC headlines were "Clarkson fired". Blame their own journalists for a lack of understanding.

I doubt Clarkson would have signed a new contract. Both sides were unhappy, Clarkson had far more leverage. Let's be blunt; Clarkson didn't fit the ideal or makeup of BBC top brass.

Was Clarkson right to punch him - if it was a punch - no of course not. Could the BBC have handled it better? Yes. Was the outcome of the investigation pre-determined? Yes. Has any decision been made with regards to PR for the BBC? Yes.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2015 18:59]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024