Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' 12:45 - Mar 26 with 3709 viewsCountyJim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32063587

Oh My God those poor people
Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 13:00 - Mar 26 with 2765 viewssnork44

If the arsehole, wanted to kill himself just jump off a building or put a gun to your head! But to kill innocent people is pure evil. It's like the losers we have over here in the US that try and outdo each other's when there is a massacre, so their name will go down in history as the person that has killed the most human beings. I hope he rots in hell.

Premier Snork now watching from the USA
Poll: What do you prefer on Planet Swans after a game?

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 14:46 - Mar 26 with 2651 viewsSCB1985

It's happened before on a silk airlines flight. Although that time the person in question popped the fdr and vcr fuses. Last ever sound recorded was the popping sound. Circumstantial evidence and common sence says suicide. But the Singapore authorities deny this. I'd rather he jump in front a train and disrupt people rather than kill them.

Poll: whats more important to you

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 15:38 - Mar 26 with 2597 viewsicecoldjack

I was hoping that there was a decompression in the plane that meant nobody would have known any horror in the final moments, seems this isn't the case.

Those poor people, RIP .
Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 16:41 - Mar 26 with 2545 viewsSwansNZ

There are some evil c*nts in the world - 1 less now, but to murder 150 men, women and children is horrific. RIP, all you innocent people.

You think there would be a way a pilot could re-enter the cockpit.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 17:51 - Mar 26 with 2491 viewsMrSwerve

Time to put locks on the door with a key entry, giving keys to both pilots.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 17:55 - Mar 26 with 2485 viewssnork44

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 16:41 - Mar 26 by SwansNZ

There are some evil c*nts in the world - 1 less now, but to murder 150 men, women and children is horrific. RIP, all you innocent people.

You think there would be a way a pilot could re-enter the cockpit.

That is the Legacy of 9/11 that the cockpit door is locked and impervious to outside intervention. The cvnt of a co-pilot used that as a weapon. Now airlines will have to develop a way that the flight crew will have access to the cockpit, if a member of the flight crew goes loony.

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 18:15 - Mar 26 with 2461 viewsSwansNZ

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 17:55 - Mar 26 by snork44

That is the Legacy of 9/11 that the cockpit door is locked and impervious to outside intervention. The cvnt of a co-pilot used that as a weapon. Now airlines will have to develop a way that the flight crew will have access to the cockpit, if a member of the flight crew goes loony.

They have a code or something to unlock the door from the outside, but that can be disabled from inside the cockpit — something obviously needs to be done, however rare these things are. What is the bigger threat, suicidal/murdering pilot or a terrorist attack. Surely something can be done to stop both.

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 18:39 - Mar 26 with 2427 viewsdgt73

Very disturbing. Terrible what happened to those poor people.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Login to get fewer ads

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 18:56 - Mar 26 with 2402 viewsSwanjack10

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 17:51 - Mar 26 by MrSwerve

Time to put locks on the door with a key entry, giving keys to both pilots.

Eye recognition entrance for pilots and top staff,spare keys just wont do.

ambition is critical....................
Poll: do you think swanjack10 should be a moderator?

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 19:06 - Mar 26 with 2372 viewslondonlisa2001

Isn't there some way that given extreme circumstances (whether a hijack or a situation like this, which is essentially a hijack of course) that the people on the ground could be able to send an override to the computer systems that force the autopilot to take over and could, in effect, fly the plane as though it was a drone?

It seems to be the only solution that would stop any sort of attack (unless the attack then came from people on the ground I guess, although there could be some failsafe for numbers that have to enter codes etc that could make it almost impossible).

This is horrific on so many levels.
Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 19:12 - Mar 26 with 2352 viewsMrSwerve

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 18:56 - Mar 26 by Swanjack10

Eye recognition entrance for pilots and top staff,spare keys just wont do.

Yeah didn't necessarily mean physical keys but you're right, something like retina scanning would do.

I suppose that terrorists could hold up a pilot's eye to it though? It's very hard to police.

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 19:21 - Mar 26 with 2338 viewsSwansNZ

Maybe the pilot could go to the toilet before a flight that is only a couple of hours - or if the pilot or co-pilot wants to go to the toilet, some senior crew member would have to come in to the cockpit first, so there are 2 people in there at all times.

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 19:23 - Mar 26 with 2331 viewsLeonisGod

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 19:06 - Mar 26 by londonlisa2001

Isn't there some way that given extreme circumstances (whether a hijack or a situation like this, which is essentially a hijack of course) that the people on the ground could be able to send an override to the computer systems that force the autopilot to take over and could, in effect, fly the plane as though it was a drone?

It seems to be the only solution that would stop any sort of attack (unless the attack then came from people on the ground I guess, although there could be some failsafe for numbers that have to enter codes etc that could make it almost impossible).

Sounds like a sensible thing to consider. Even if just the door could be opened remotely. But then would that system be vulnerable to hacking? I think in the short term we'll see all the airlines adopt a policy of there having to be 2 crew in the cockpit at all times (which some airlines do already apparently).
Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 19:25 - Mar 26 with 2326 viewsNogginthenog

I would refer to his action as premeditated murder.
Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 19:36 - Mar 26 with 2299 viewslondonlisa2001

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 19:25 - Mar 26 by Nogginthenog

I would refer to his action as premeditated murder.

I agree - and presumably this is something that must have been planned for a while? I mean, he couldn't have known which flight it would be when the pilot would leave the flight deck to go to the loo?

I also have sympathy with the people that are complaining that the media have double standards and that if his name had happened to be Ahmed Hussain (or similar) this would be described as an act of terrorism rather than a 'suicide'.

I can't think of a more blatant act of terrorism than deliberately killing 150 people in cold blood whatever the motive.
Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 19:39 - Mar 26 with 2292 views3swan

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 19:23 - Mar 26 by LeonisGod

Sounds like a sensible thing to consider. Even if just the door could be opened remotely. But then would that system be vulnerable to hacking? I think in the short term we'll see all the airlines adopt a policy of there having to be 2 crew in the cockpit at all times (which some airlines do already apparently).

On the news Easyjet are to have 2 in the cockpit from tomorrow.

There was a UK Expert on the BBC news who was involved in this sort of stuff post 9/11 saying there was still a way to bypass the system even if it was locked from inside, but for obvious reasons didn't say what it was
Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 19:48 - Mar 26 with 2277 viewssnork44

This will bring the action of another member of the flight crew in the to cockpit in Europe as it is over here in the States. But you will also see in future all cockpits will have CCTV that is linked to the black box. Also you will have an override code that will only known to the senior flight crew and Air Marshals. But the airlines and security services will have a delicate balancing act against the forces of terrorism or a rogue and unbalanced pilot.

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 19:49 - Mar 26 with 2272 viewsSwansNZ

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 19:39 - Mar 26 by 3swan

On the news Easyjet are to have 2 in the cockpit from tomorrow.

There was a UK Expert on the BBC news who was involved in this sort of stuff post 9/11 saying there was still a way to bypass the system even if it was locked from inside, but for obvious reasons didn't say what it was

Well the German pilot did not know of any way

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 19:57 - Mar 26 with 2251 viewsPozuelosSideys

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 19:06 - Mar 26 by londonlisa2001

There would be a legacy to that solution too which is already feasable in that the system used to do this could be hacked with malicious intentions and bring the plane down that way.

Think the only realistic solution is to have 3 crew members on board and at least two in the cockpit at once. Certain airlines already force a member of the cabin crew to sit in the cockpit if one of the pilots leaves it, so there is never anyone alone there.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 20:06 - Mar 26 with 2228 viewsSwansNZ

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 19:57 - Mar 26 by PozuelosSideys

There would be a legacy to that solution too which is already feasable in that the system used to do this could be hacked with malicious intentions and bring the plane down that way.

Think the only realistic solution is to have 3 crew members on board and at least two in the cockpit at once. Certain airlines already force a member of the cabin crew to sit in the cockpit if one of the pilots leaves it, so there is never anyone alone there.

Yeah, I don’t think I’d want someone on the ground being able to control the plane, as it would open up all sorts of possibilities to hackers.

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 20:08 - Mar 26 with 2228 viewslondonlisa2001

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 19:57 - Mar 26 by PozuelosSideys

yes - that's fair enough. I guess that anything computerised could be hacked.

I also struggle to understand what has happened in this case given that reports suggest (has it been confirmed?) that this pilot had had depression and a near breakdown in the past.

I would have assumed (seemingly wrongly) that airlines routinely screened pilots and this sort of past would rule them out for ever.
Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 20:11 - Mar 26 with 2221 viewssnork44

In the old days there were 3 people on the flight deck, pilot,co-pilot and radio operator, but as technology and economics took over that was made redundant. This will change aviation as much as 9/11 did when these doors were introduced.

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 20:14 - Mar 26 with 2216 viewsfbreath

I read today that the door to the cockpit had a key code lock on the outside but the crew inside the cockpit can disable the key code lock on a timer for between 5 & 20 minutes hence why the captain outside couldn't get back in.

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 10:40 - Mar 27 with 2046 viewsPegojack

A mate who's a BA pilot told me last night that there's a fire axe stowed in the cockpit and the cabin in the planes he flies. He said if he had been the captain, he would have gone at the door with it, but he acknowledged that by the time the captain realised what was going on, he would only have had a couple of minutes to start hacking away, and those doors are re-inforced to prevent terrorists busting through them.
Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' on 10:45 - Mar 27 with 2042 viewsMrSwerve

Put toilet cubicles in the cockpit.

Cockpits are obviously too small for this but why not just extend the rear of the cockpit to include one of the toilets that are just outside? I know some will say it's a waste of a toilet but it would stop the need for any pilot to leave.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024