Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jenkins expects a quiet summer 17:34 - Mar 26 with 5194 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Would be good news if true IMO. Yes, Mitrovic would be nice, but I'm more concerned with holding on to our strong core (Fabianski, JJS, Ki, Siggy, and a few others) than making any major additions.

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Swansea-City-quality-quantity-transfer-w

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 08:43 - Mar 27 with 1828 viewsDr_Winston

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 22:33 - Mar 26 by pencoedjack

Dr you still hoping Gomis comes good ?

Your level headed posts seem a little clouded when it comes to Bafe

Maybe my posts are less level headed because most others are utterly f*cking wonky on the subject and I've got to sink to that level.

Played well lately and scored the winner in our last game. Will probably score more with decent service to attack. I'm quite happy with the position I've taken.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 09:12 - Mar 27 with 1801 viewsItchySphincter

Gomis is a proven goalscorer whether our thick fans like it or not. It's up to us to get a tune out of him.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 10:06 - Mar 27 with 1768 viewsJackSomething

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 09:12 - Mar 27 by ItchySphincter

Gomis is a proven goalscorer whether our thick fans like it or not. It's up to us to get a tune out of him.

I agree with you and the Doc. Although he's been disappointing, this is a player who scored in double figures every season for Lyon (at the top end of Ligue 1) and has 9 goals in 22 Champions League games. He's hardly 'crap' and the idea he can't score double figures in a season for us is nonsense.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 12:10 - Mar 27 with 1714 viewsplasjack

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 08:14 - Mar 27 by Jackanapes

"He looks like he actually gives a shit now. If it earns transfer value, that would be nice. "
His reaction when he scored was pleasing. HE seemed really pumped. More of that on the pitch and he may start changing a few minds. Mine included.

This summer is pivotal for us as we must hold on to P/L status for coming season,
to benefit from new tv money to progress in our developement in future years.
Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 12:30 - Mar 27 with 1694 viewsTom1912

There will be interest in players like Ki and Fabianski. Plus performances from the likes of Fernandez and Montero won't have gone unnoticed.

If we hold on to everyone, there will be one big signing in the form of a striker and then a bit of shuffling elsewhere.
Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 13:03 - Mar 27 with 1677 viewstomdickharry

As already stated if Mitrovic is signed then Gomis is gone,in fact if any quality striker is signed the same applies.As an example Mitrovic/Lambert would be better than Gomis/? because the ? will be the number 2. At least Lambert although he is in the twilight of his career is a proven goalscorer in British football something that Gomis isn't,okay the same could be said about Mitrovic but at 20yrs he is an extremely talented goalscorer/ player with a physical presence too match.
Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 13:12 - Mar 27 with 1669 viewsMattG

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 13:03 - Mar 27 by tomdickharry

As already stated if Mitrovic is signed then Gomis is gone,in fact if any quality striker is signed the same applies.As an example Mitrovic/Lambert would be better than Gomis/? because the ? will be the number 2. At least Lambert although he is in the twilight of his career is a proven goalscorer in British football something that Gomis isn't,okay the same could be said about Mitrovic but at 20yrs he is an extremely talented goalscorer/ player with a physical presence too match.

What you've said about Mitrovic could just as easily have been said about Gomis when he signed last summer. As has been seen countless times, there are no guarantees when bringing a striker from another league into the PL and most will need a period of time to bed into the team / league. Gomis needed that (as did Wilf before him) and, as his understanding of the system and partnerships with the likes of Gylfi and JJS start to take shape, so (IMO) are his performances improving week on week.

Unless we go for someone absolutely top drawer (and I'm not convinced that Mitrovic fits that bill) then I'm struggling to see a benefit in starting from scratch with them when we've already been through the bedding in process with Gomis this season.

Oh, and I don't see why someone like Lambert would come here for less cash and play second fiddle behind Mitrovic / Gomis / whoever rather than staying at Anfield and being paid more in much the same situation.
Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 13:15 - Mar 27 with 1661 viewsJackSomething

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 13:03 - Mar 27 by tomdickharry

If we sign a presumptive first choice (along the lines of Mitrovic), then Gomis is obviously going to want to leave. If someone is willing to pay the right price (there was talk of an £8m clause), then he'll be gone and we'll probably be making another Vasquez/Oliveira style loan signing to back up the new guy. Given the rumoured interest in him in January, I'm sure there will be interested clubs, especially if he scores a few before the end of the season.

I'd love a proven player who can lead the line like Lambert to be a backup here, but can't see it happening, both because of the money it would take and I can't see why he'd exchange sitting on Liverpool's bench for sitting on ours. He'll probably leave in the summer, but to somewhere he'll start the majority of games. Plus Lambert seems to have many of the same attributes as Gomis, so we'd still be faced with the issue of our style of play not suiting him.

Login to get fewer ads

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 13:28 - Mar 27 with 1640 viewsUxbridge

I'm just surprised so many people on this thread have seen enough of Mitrovic to judge whether he's a good enough player for us. I watch an awful lot of football and I've barely seen the kid.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 13:32 - Mar 27 with 1632 viewsJackSomething

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 13:28 - Mar 27 by Uxbridge

I'm just surprised so many people on this thread have seen enough of Mitrovic to judge whether he's a good enough player for us. I watch an awful lot of football and I've barely seen the kid.

TDH is his big booster. I'm using Mitrovic as short-hand for a Bony style signing, ie big money and hopefully a big success. Other than his goal against Arsenal in the Champions League, I've seen nothing of him.

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 13:48 - Mar 27 with 1616 viewsGlyn1

Gomis is on an 8-match trial period until the end of the season so let's see how that goes to see if he has finally adapted to the Premier League. Ideally, I'd hope that he would be our 1st choice striker next season with a young Championship striker (ideally British) bought in as back-up, but I've no idea who.

Or Mitrovic maybe. I'm just cautious that he might be another Iago Aspas who we were seriously looking at last summer (1 goal in 15 matches for Liverpool).

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 15:33 - Mar 27 with 1576 viewstomdickharry

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 13:48 - Mar 27 by Glyn1

Gomis is on an 8-match trial period until the end of the season so let's see how that goes to see if he has finally adapted to the Premier League. Ideally, I'd hope that he would be our 1st choice striker next season with a young Championship striker (ideally British) bought in as back-up, but I've no idea who.

Or Mitrovic maybe. I'm just cautious that he might be another Iago Aspas who we were seriously looking at last summer (1 goal in 15 matches for Liverpool).

Fully appreciate what you re saying however,Mitrovic,is different class not forgeting he is only 20yrs, 2 Champion League and 1 Europa Cup goal this season does suggest to me that he is a special talent,not many 20yr olds do that.
Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 15:35 - Mar 27 with 1576 viewsnyc_swans

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 13:28 - Mar 27 by Uxbridge

agreed here.

also, why are we saying that Gomis is definitely gone if a 20 year old from the Belgian league comes in over the summer? Mitrovic would need months to settle into the premier league and it might take more than 1 season.

IMO the squad needs 2 good strikers. Gomis is a proven striker, Mitrovic sounds like a good prospect, but he would have a lot to prove.
Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 15:35 - Mar 27 with 1575 viewsicecoldjack

"Jenkins expects a quiet summer" is Jenkins code for "we will be quite busy"

That man..everything is smoke and mirrors with him ! lol
Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 16:42 - Mar 27 with 1553 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 09:12 - Mar 27 by ItchySphincter

I suggest that you read this article about "Proven" players like Gomis and Aspas, none of whom could adjust to the Prem and they aren't the only ones.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2937716/Manchester-United-tran

Even Alves was considered a failure at Middlesborough despite scoring 10 Goals.
Proven elsewhere does not mean much unless it can be reproduced here.
Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 17:48 - Mar 27 with 1551 viewsskippyjack

I think this is the preferred squad

Fabianski
Gerhard

Taylor
Richards
Rangel
Naughton

Williams
Fernandez
Amat
Bartley

Cork
Britton
Ki
Shelvey

Gylfi
Emnes

Dyer
Routledge
Montero

Gomis

And hopefully all the young guns get some proper footy under their belt

We need a Striker, Attacking Midfielder, Winger and a Fullback probably.. But we'll probably end up with a Striker and Attacking Midfielder

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 20:22 - Mar 27 with 1502 viewsnyc_swans

do those who want gomis gone believe he is a better striker than danny graham?
Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 22:27 - Mar 27 with 1472 viewstomdickharry

No.
Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 08:14 - Mar 28 with 1407 viewsjojaca

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 17:45 - Mar 26 by tomdickharry

Mitrovis is a must,but that would mean an exit for Gomis so probably one striker in addition to him,Lambert would be my choice. Another midfielder come wide player and another left back.Think there will be a clear our of those who would appear no chance of making the first team squad.

Who was the last outfield player Swans signed from the age of 32+, that's why I cant see us signing Ricky Lambert. Our success over the years is to buy young with potential or rough diamonds that needs polishing.

Even when you know, you never know?

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 13:01 - Mar 29 with 1258 viewsmax936

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 08:14 - Mar 28 by jojaca

Who was the last outfield player Swans signed from the age of 32+, that's why I cant see us signing Ricky Lambert. Our success over the years is to buy young with potential or rough diamonds that needs polishing.

Correct, I can't see us going for Lambert myself either to be honest, not sure of an option though, Troy Deeney if Watford fail to win promotion, or Gestede although Im notsure about him.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2015 18:16]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 13:16 - Mar 29 with 1240 viewsGeoffThom

I love the way people on here keep saying when we get rid of gomis ,in case it's skipped anyone's attention he faints every now and then do you honestly think we can just get rid of him that easily I think not he's on a four year contract and I belive that he will be here for it
Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 13:20 - Mar 29 with 1233 viewsDr_Winston

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 13:16 - Mar 29 by GeoffThom

I love the way people on here keep saying when we get rid of gomis ,in case it's skipped anyone's attention he faints every now and then do you honestly think we can just get rid of him that easily I think not he's on a four year contract and I belive that he will be here for it

He fainted before he got here and we signed him.

Love how a medical condition has become yet another stick to beat him with though. Classy.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 13:35 - Mar 29 with 1205 viewsmax936

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 13:20 - Mar 29 by Dr_Winston

Love how a medical condition has become yet another stick to beat him with though. Classy.

Im hoping we'll see the best of him now that he's got the monkey off his back, he definitely works hard enough, but the chances he has missed as been a bit disappointing, trying to hard maybe, but now, hopefully he'll be far more confident in his goal scoring opportunities.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 13:38 - Mar 29 with 1195 viewsGeoffThom

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 13:20 - Mar 29 by Dr_Winston

Not beating him with it just resigned to the fact we're stuck with him and let's be honest here ,how many of us would have honestly signed a player with this strange condition especially after recent events with other clubs players
Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 09:45 - Mar 30 with 1067 viewsStarsky

Jenkins expects a quiet summer on 13:38 - Mar 29 by GeoffThom

Not beating him with it just resigned to the fact we're stuck with him and let's be honest here ,how many of us would have honestly signed a player with this strange condition especially after recent events with other clubs players

When it comes to discussing Swansea strikers, you tend to go all 'blonde' on us.

Fainting once every 2 years won't put other teams off. Don't you think that Palace etc knew about this before showing interest in January. Feck me, they just had to google it.

The only reason he won't be in demand is for performances and attitude. Both have improved recently and I can definitely see him being in demand in the summer if he pulls his finger out.

It's just the internet, init.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024