Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cardiff City or Swansea City 11:56 - Mar 28 with 9812 viewsSwanzay

Just which is Wales' biggest football club? We present the opposing arguments after new study claims to settle debate

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-swansea-c
Cardiff City or Swansea City on 12:09 - Mar 28 with 3724 viewsDaggyjack

Another pointless study giving the Welsh capital media a chance to spout their nonsense.
No debate I'm afraid but it keeps Abbandeidiot happy.
Cardiff City or Swansea City on 12:12 - Mar 28 with 3717 viewsblueytheblue

Love how WalesOnline ( Owners, Trinity Mirror ) can't bring themselves to name the Daily Mail.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 12:19 - Mar 28 with 3687 viewsDafyddHuw

Please - stop being so obsessed with the Scum. It's just embarrassing.
Cardiff City or Swansea City on 12:20 - Mar 28 with 3686 viewssherpajacob

Wales online clutching at straws again.

In Yorkshire I think there is little doubt Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday amongst others are "bigger" clubs than hull. Yet who is currently in PL.

Also if it's over 100 years how the heck can chelsea be 4th above Tottenham , man city and many others. Once Roman Has popped his clogs chelsea will be in the championship within 10 years.

Many of us remember the early days of live football on bbc/itv and it was all about the big 5 utod, Liverpool, Everton, spurs and arsenal.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 12:20 - Mar 28 with 3685 viewsjack247

Laughable.

Cardiff were only narginally bigger than us when we were both in league one/two. To suggest that they are now is mental.

The only clubs outside the Prem that could claim that with any credence are Forest and Leeds. We passed the likes of Wolves, Birmingham, Derby the moment we established ourselves in the Premier League.

Western Mail I would expect that from. Daily Mail should know better.
Cardiff City or Swansea City on 12:27 - Mar 28 with 3665 viewssherpajacob

Cardiff being in the capital are therefore a bigger club.

Which of course explains why man utd are the biggest club in England

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 12:33 - Mar 28 with 3652 viewsblueytheblue

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 12:27 - Mar 28 by sherpajacob

Man Yoo's support is mostly from their capital, is it not?

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 12:37 - Mar 28 with 3642 viewsWhiterockin

Who gives a F*** I support the swans because they are my team.
Login to get fewer ads

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 12:44 - Mar 28 with 3615 viewswestside

couldn't we sell out our stadium two or three times over like most clubs could in big games so making out only cardiff city could do this is complete cr8p.
Cardiff City or Swansea City on 12:48 - Mar 28 with 3606 viewssherpajacob

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 12:33 - Mar 28 by blueytheblue

Man Yoo's support is mostly from their capital, is it not?

And if the current gulf between Wales only PL team and it's only championship team continues, pretty soon most young kids in the Welsh capital will be supporting the swans.

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 12:52 - Mar 28 with 3588 viewsjack247

Abbos logic is nuts too. They won the FA Cup, no one at the game is still alive, but apparently it's still relevant. They beat Real Madrid (presumably in a friendly?) not sure when that was, but I'd imagine Blyth Spartans and Accrington Stanley were massive at the time. They have a massive potential fanbase, which is a bit like saying they would be a big club if they were a big club.

I know he has to play Devils advocate in the face of overwhelming logic, but still...
Cardiff City or Swansea City on 13:00 - Mar 28 with 3572 viewsGlyn1

It's the Daily Mail who compiled the table, not the Western Mail. Paul Abbandonato has as much right to put one side of the argument as does Christ Wathan, nothing wrong with that.

Here's the Daily Mail's table: http://tinyurl.com/ol4m7nh

Anyway, forget about Cardiff - just think that some day we might become bigger than Charlton ... or Burnley ... or Derby ... or even Middlesbrough. A bit ambitious I know.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2015 13:09]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 13:14 - Mar 28 with 3521 viewsjack247

Yeah clearly. I've mentioned it was the Daily Mail above.

He has a right to his opinion, but it's s but like trying to polish a turd. The fact that a sports journalist can only present such a flimsy argument says a lot about the Daily Mail ranking them above us in the first place.
Cardiff City or Swansea City on 13:23 - Mar 28 with 3507 viewsUxbridge

It's cute how they try and stay relevant. Avatomato's missive is basically every CCMB post cut and pasted together ever.

We're both two small provincial cities. Their catchment area is no more or less than ours ... We're barely 40 miles apart FFS. Loads of fans travel hundreds of miles to watch a game,let alone a piddly half hour or so.

South Wales can easily support one top flight team if we were looking at this purely on terms of numbers. ironically that's pretty irrelevant given the TV money anyway.

This article is a perfect microcosm of the attitudes between the two cities though. They are completely and utterly delusional regarding their place in the world. I suppose a few billion from the public purse will breed that.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 13:55 - Mar 28 with 3443 viewsGlyn1

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 13:14 - Mar 28 by jack247

Yeah clearly. I've mentioned it was the Daily Mail above.

He has a right to his opinion, but it's s but like trying to polish a turd. The fact that a sports journalist can only present such a flimsy argument says a lot about the Daily Mail ranking them above us in the first place.

His editor told him they wanted to put a debate into the paper - Chris has got the Swans, you get Cardiff and I want 300 words from you immediately. It's a bit like a defence lawyer defending someone who's incredibly guilty.

The only two of the Daily Mail's categories that are relevant are: Income, and Global Fanbase, because they are the only ones that don't count in historical factors that are beside the point.

On Income we rank 13th, which is about right for a mid-table Premier League side.

It's the Global Fanbase rating that is more interesting. We came in 12th which is higher than I would have expected. (The Mail assessed the Global Fanbase by adding up the total number of fans and followers for each club on Facebook and Twitter.)

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 14:49 - Mar 28 with 3366 viewsScoobyDoo

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 12:52 - Mar 28 by jack247

Abbos logic is nuts too. They won the FA Cup, no one at the game is still alive, but apparently it's still relevant. They beat Real Madrid (presumably in a friendly?) not sure when that was, but I'd imagine Blyth Spartans and Accrington Stanley were massive at the time. They have a massive potential fanbase, which is a bit like saying they would be a big club if they were a big club.

I know he has to play Devils advocate in the face of overwhelming logic, but still...

Beat Real Madrid in a friendly? Yeah alright.
Cardiff City or Swansea City on 14:55 - Mar 28 with 3360 viewsWarwickHunt

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 12:27 - Mar 28 by sherpajacob

But not the biggest team in Manchester...
Cardiff City or Swansea City on 15:40 - Mar 28 with 3280 viewsno1jack8

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 13:55 - Mar 28 by Glyn1

His editor told him they wanted to put a debate into the paper - Chris has got the Swans, you get Cardiff and I want 300 words from you immediately. It's a bit like a defence lawyer defending someone who's incredibly guilty.

The only two of the Daily Mail's categories that are relevant are: Income, and Global Fanbase, because they are the only ones that don't count in historical factors that are beside the point.

On Income we rank 13th, which is about right for a mid-table Premier League side.

It's the Global Fanbase rating that is more interesting. We came in 12th which is higher than I would have expected. (The Mail assessed the Global Fanbase by adding up the total number of fans and followers for each club on Facebook and Twitter.)

What I can't understand is why there's not a time weighted factor applied to trophies. Our league cup win is far more prestigious than cardiffs cup win when non league Spurs won it around the same time.

We knocked out the European champions over two legs but also the competition now is far in excess of what it was in the past and thus surely if you're recounting history there should be time weighted factors applied to the cup comps. The league totals is probably fair enough as you were the clear best team in the land
Cardiff City or Swansea City on 16:38 - Mar 28 with 3181 viewsmorningstar

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 14:49 - Mar 28 by ScoobyDoo

It was actually us that beat Real Madrid in a friendly 1-3 at the Bernabeau. You lost to them in a European cup winners tie.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 16:50 - Mar 28 with 3154 viewsHighjack

Where are Wanderers FC? Old Etonians and Old Carthusians? They should be on the list as they won the FA cup in the same period as Cardiff did.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 16:59 - Mar 28 with 3138 viewsjackal

This is pointless. All Cardiff can argue is that they have bigger attendances.
The population of Cardiff is over 110,000 more than us. They also have a larger catchment area.

Which is the better club? Just look at the league tables.
Cardiff City or Swansea City on 17:11 - Mar 28 with 3121 viewsjack247

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 14:49 - Mar 28 by ScoobyDoo

Yeah I don't know your history, hence the word presumably. I've just googled it and it was in 1971 and was the first leg of a cup winners cup tie you then went on to lose. Well done.

Doesn't really compare to a Premier League double against Man Utd this season in my book, but hey-ho.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2015 17:13]
Cardiff City or Swansea City on 17:16 - Mar 28 with 3109 viewsjack247

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 13:55 - Mar 28 by Glyn1

The defence lawyer bit is a good analogy and is pretty much my point. If a sports journalist can only come up with wins from 1927 and 1971, as well as the fact they have a big catchment area, how the hell did the Mail rank them a. Above us b. 33rd biggest club in the country?
Cardiff City or Swansea City on 17:20 - Mar 28 with 3103 viewsperchrockjack

Pitiful stuff.
Is bigger better..

Leeds fan base massive but in terms of profile world wide smaller than us. Their future is big too. Big trouble.

Cardiff clearly cannot handle swansea ...it's killing them.

They feed on swansea s inherent inferiority complex.

Fook them.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 17:44 - Mar 28 with 3069 viewsScoobyDoo

Cardiff City or Swansea City on 17:11 - Mar 28 by jack247

Yeah I don't know your history, hence the word presumably. I've just googled it and it was in 1971 and was the first leg of a cup winners cup tie you then went on to lose. Well done.

Doesn't really compare to a Premier League double against Man Utd this season in my book, but hey-ho.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2015 17:13]

I.m not comparing jack, you are. hey ho.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024