Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Women of The Mumbles... 19:44 - Mar 30 with 4929 viewsThe_Bounder

Not happy about a Tesco Express being proposed for their gaff. More would prefer a Waitrose!

Fancy themselves a bit don't they?!

Sadly no longer in The Salisbury embracing Premier League football!

Women of The Mumbles... on 13:37 - Mar 31 with 1408 viewsdickythorpe

The White Rose lost its way for me when they displayed a banner saying "Breakfast £1.99" Plus you go to one side for food and no one is serving at that bar!!!
Women of The Mumbles... on 13:40 - Mar 31 with 1401 viewsbuilthjack

The White Rose. Mm. Brings back memories .

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Women of The Mumbles... on 13:47 - Mar 31 with 1392 viewsperchrockjack

Co op brings memories to me.

Mainly of shyte.

Light years behind the rest.

The mumbles one pitiful and really be nice to stick with local shops

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Women of The Mumbles... on 13:47 - Mar 31 with 1393 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Women of The Mumbles... on 13:37 - Mar 31 by dickythorpe

The White Rose lost its way for me when they displayed a banner saying "Breakfast £1.99" Plus you go to one side for food and no one is serving at that bar!!!

That happens with drinks too. Used to do a cheap deal when football on to encourage people to go to the pub then never had enough staff on to serve and when you did want a beer you had to go round the other side of the bar to the lounge so weren't able to carry on watching the game when getting served.

Will continue to buy meat from Woollacotts, booze from Cheers, and Veg from The Choice is Yours - but if this stops me feeling shafted like i do everytime I go to the co-op for essentials then I'm all for Tesco's

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Women of The Mumbles... on 13:48 - Mar 31 with 1393 viewsBatterseajack

Women of The Mumbles... on 13:21 - Mar 31 by dickythorpe

Wetherspoons snobbery - have any of you been to the one in Morriston, the Red Lion? It is fantatsic and welcoming. Plus you dont get ripped off.

Treasure is long overdue being wiped off the face of the earth, look onlibne for the stuff they sell and its nearly half!!

Any news of The Antelope?

Call it snobbery if you will. But lets face it, what works for Morriston might not necessary work for the mumbles. The measure of a good pub or evening destination is not always the price for a pint of 1664. Mumbles is out of the way for most people, and the appeal to bring people there will always be the character of the place. What it needs is more places like the pilot and the little ale house by the library and good restaurants and not 3 drinks for a fiver kind of places that destroyed it in the 90's. There's nothing wrong with liking that sort of thing, and if you want it, head to wind street.
Women of The Mumbles... on 13:51 - Mar 31 with 1385 viewsperchrockjack

You go out for ambience. You can eat and drink cheap cheap at home.

It's called living..

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Women of The Mumbles... on 14:07 - Mar 31 with 1374 viewsJackSomething

Women of The Mumbles... on 13:48 - Mar 31 by Batterseajack

Call it snobbery if you will. But lets face it, what works for Morriston might not necessary work for the mumbles. The measure of a good pub or evening destination is not always the price for a pint of 1664. Mumbles is out of the way for most people, and the appeal to bring people there will always be the character of the place. What it needs is more places like the pilot and the little ale house by the library and good restaurants and not 3 drinks for a fiver kind of places that destroyed it in the 90's. There's nothing wrong with liking that sort of thing, and if you want it, head to wind street.

Agreed. I head down to Mumbles fairly regularly for some fresh air, a walk, a play in the park for my boy, and a stop for something to eat or drink. I like to stop at places like the Front Room, or the Kitchen Table. The Pilot is great, but can't usually convince the other half of that!

I'd only go in Costa if everywhere else was shut, the same if a Weatherspoons opens. Not snobbery, just I can get a Costa or Weatherspoons experience anywhere, so would rather a unique experience and support an independent business.

I agree that Uplands shows not everywhere has to have chains to be successful. The White Rose could and should be a great pub, the problems lie with the people running it.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Women of The Mumbles... on 14:25 - Mar 31 with 1358 viewsbuilthjack

The White Rose is part of a huge chain. Mitchell's and Butlers pub with over 1000 outlets.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Login to get fewer ads

Women of The Mumbles... on 14:37 - Mar 31 with 1345 viewsJackSomething

Women of The Mumbles... on 14:25 - Mar 31 by builthjack

The White Rose is part of a huge chain. Mitchell's and Butlers pub with over 1000 outlets.

I wasn't aware of that. I haven't been in there in years because everyone tells me how bad it is these days. They need to get a new manager in there in that case.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Women of The Mumbles... on 14:56 - Mar 31 with 1323 viewsjack247

Women of The Mumbles... on 13:48 - Mar 31 by Batterseajack

This is exactly right. The Mumbles gets by on tourism and local people shopping in independent shops. It would be nuts for anyone from other parts of Swansea to buy from the local butcher, greengrocer etc down there, because their own village will have just as good quality stuff, usually cheaper. The locals do though because there is a culture of supporting local commerce. Not everyone goes along with it, but enough do to make it work. It needs independent pubs and boutique shops like the ones at the top to keep tourists coming.

Nothing wrong with Aldis or Wetherspoons, it's just not the right place for them. Same goes for Subway, McDonalds etc. I can pretty much guarantee, half the locals wouldn't go to Aldis out of principle and a Wetherspoons may be successful for a year or two, but would be dead once the novelty wore off.
Women of The Mumbles... on 15:01 - Mar 31 with 1315 viewsjack247

Women of The Mumbles... on 14:25 - Mar 31 by builthjack

I'm sure thats true, but it still has the feel of an independent pub, which is what matters, I didn't even know it was part of a chain. The George is a chain pub and feels like one. It's only ever busy with people coming down for a stroll and a meal, no one actually treats it like a local anymore. It used to have a great atmosphere, but it's quite sterile now because most of the people in there can only have one pint as they are driving,
Women of The Mumbles... on 15:16 - Mar 31 with 1301 viewsbuilthjack

Was a cracking pub in the 80s

Women of The Mumbles... on 16:37 - Mar 31 with 1251 viewslondonlisa2001

Women of The Mumbles... on 10:29 - Mar 31 by lifelong

I think there's a lot of snobbery about when it comes to shopping, a lot of people won't set foot in the likes of Sainsburys or M&S because they don't like being ripped off.

I'd rather be ripped off a bit for food than buy sub standard artificial, chemical stuffed crap from companies that make it illegal for their staff to join a union, make them sign out of the working time directive, sack women who become pregnant or men who become ill, keep putting suppliers and farmers out of business, spy on employees and so on.

All good ultra Tory practices though - I can see why they get such support on here... oh, hang on.
Women of The Mumbles... on 17:09 - Mar 31 with 1229 viewslifelong

Women of The Mumbles... on 16:37 - Mar 31 by londonlisa2001

I'd rather be ripped off a bit for food than buy sub standard artificial, chemical stuffed crap from companies that make it illegal for their staff to join a union, make them sign out of the working time directive, sack women who become pregnant or men who become ill, keep putting suppliers and farmers out of business, spy on employees and so on.

All good ultra Tory practices though - I can see why they get such support on here... oh, hang on.

What exactly is the sub standard, artificial, chemical stuffed crap they sell?

There is a Sainsburys and a Aldi close to where I live, the price difference in many of the similar, and in some cases exactly the same, products is substantial.
Women of The Mumbles... on 17:37 - Mar 31 with 1204 viewslondonlisa2001

Women of The Mumbles... on 17:09 - Mar 31 by lifelong

What exactly is the sub standard, artificial, chemical stuffed crap they sell?

There is a Sainsburys and a Aldi close to where I live, the price difference in many of the similar, and in some cases exactly the same, products is substantial.

Their 'big branded' stuff is obviously the same ingredients wise but the 'similar' products are not. They are able to sell those at discounted prices for a number of reasons. First is that they have a tiny range of products (a fraction of what the Tescos etc sell), second is that they don't pay suppliers quickly, they demand instant discount from suppliers or chuck them out of store with no notice. They don't buy local or even British apart from a tiny fraction of what they sell (for marketing purposes). They treat staff badly (honestly - don't take my word for it -have a look on the internet at the number of cases brought against them all over the world).

The way that the business works, basically, is that the supermarkets take a margin of approx. 50%. So (assume it's a product with no Vat on for a second, if it is vatable you'd need to take that bit off first) if a product costs £1 in shop, 50p of that goes straight to the retailer (they take different periods of time to pay - some 30 days, some 90 days). The manufacturer pays the cost of getting it to the retailer and the cost of the ingredients and processing (processing could mean anything from butchering to picking to pasteurising etc). The only way that the price to the manufacturer is reduced (so they make profit) is by using ingredients that are cheaper (so GMO, or chemicals, or artificial flavouring, colouring, thickeners, stabilisers etc). The other way that it becomes cheaper is if they can make more at a time (so extending life by using agents that do that).

In the food business, you really do get what you pay for. And the more natural a product, or the better grown, or the less chemicals to preserve life, or the less artificial sweeteners, thickeners, stabilsers, gums and so on, then the more expensive on shelf (as a 10p rise in ingredient cost means at least 20p rise on shelf because of margins). The problem is that from a 'taste' perspective, there is often little difference, or in some cases, the artificial stuff tastes 'better' than the natural (an artificial strawberry flavour for example is a more intense strawberry flavour than a strawberry). Even on 'small things'. If you buy mayonnaise from M&S (or Hellman's) the eggs they use are free range and they have no artificial thickeners. If you buy from a discounter, the eggs are battery and there are taste enhancers and thickeners. They make it look the same (and even use rip off labels to make it look the same) but it is not.

Now these discounters are aimed at people that are interested in the cost of the food above all else. That is fine. But the problem comes if those people also think the food itself is the same - it really isn't. There is no way of producing a mayonnaise of the same quality as Helman's for 30% less.

The reason by the way that things like Kelloggs are the same product but cheaper is that the discounters use them as loss leaders in order to make people come into the store to buy everything else that they are making a bomb on. They also give people a 'sense of the same' - a few big brands, and you assume that the shop is similar to the other supermarkets and the brands are of similar quality.
Women of The Mumbles... on 20:41 - Mar 31 with 1131 viewsGowerjack

Women of The Mumbles... on 23:03 - Mar 30 by londonlisa2001

Why do you think Aldi and Lidl have lower prices than competitors?
I'll give you a clue - they don't make a lower margin.

Go on Lisa

I'll bite

Tell me more

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024