Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread 20:33 - Apr 7 with 83104 viewsexiledclaseboy

About time we had one and it's got the word "official" in the title so that makes all the difference. If a mod wants to sticky it, feel free.

I seem to remember that five years ago (on the old, better Planet Swans) we got to nearly 100 pages and then another 60odd with the "aftermath" thread. They were good fun but there were more posters then and we were all a bit more tolerant of others' views. Let's try to be nice to each other, eh.

Anyway, best site for opinion polls is this one in my experience:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/

Polls are so tight the only conclusion is that the Tories and Labour are head to head nationwide. Can't put a whisker between them.

Tories need about 39-40% for an overall majority. Labour will probably get one on 36-37%. God bless our ridiculous voting system.

So, enjoy yourselves. I'll start with a prediction. Labour to win most seats but slightly fewer votes than the Tories and end up forming some kind of minority government with support from various parliamentary lefties on a vote by vote basis. And then all of a sudden many Tory supporters will discover that they've always hated first past the post and can't understand why we perpetuate a system under which the party which more people voted for than any other can lose the election. It'll be quite funny and lead to calls for a proper voting system. Which everyone will forget about in six months when all the fuss has died down.

What say you?

Poll: Tory leader

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:33 - Apr 8 with 2739 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 21:04 - Apr 7 by exiledclaseboy

Very capable politician is Ed Balls.

I'm genuinely unsure whether this is sarcasm?
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:34 - Apr 8 with 2734 viewsperchrockjack

No that s a falsehood..
Vainglorious arsewipe more aposite

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:37 - Apr 8 with 2731 viewswaynekerr55

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:33 - Apr 8 by londonlisa2001

I'm genuinely unsure whether this is sarcasm?

Judging by the great ECB's lack of response to me I'm 99.99% certain that he is being sarcastic 😂

Nobody with more than one brain cell could possibly rate the man as even his own party doesn't. They only keep the useless pig in the front benches to stop him being a naughty back bencher

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:42 - Apr 8 with 2725 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 21:57 - Apr 7 by monmouth

It would certainly be ironic (I think, although I'm not 100% sure what ironic means anymore) if hung parliaments led to a PR system as that would deliver hung parliaments in perpetuity wouldn't it?. We need something different to FPTP though for sure. Not in my lifetime I reckon.

"I'm not 100% sure what ironic means anymore"

It's like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you've already paid ... (sorry)

I'm refraining from making a prediction or at least one that I will stick to. I've come to the conclusion that living and working in West London, it's such a bubble that it's almost impossible to form a view of the feeling of the rest of the country. The whole sense of the economy is different.

My prediction for now which as I said may well change, is that I think that the SNP are pushing people here to vote Conservative that were wavering. I think it's fractionally more likely at the moment that Cameron will be PM rather than Ed, albeit with a minority.
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:45 - Apr 8 with 2716 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:37 - Apr 8 by waynekerr55

Judging by the great ECB's lack of response to me I'm 99.99% certain that he is being sarcastic 😂

Nobody with more than one brain cell could possibly rate the man as even his own party doesn't. They only keep the useless pig in the front benches to stop him being a naughty back bencher

yes sorry - I only saw you'd asked the same thing after I'd responded !

Well I agree re Mr Balls - I think he is a bigger liability for the Labour party's election hopes than Ed, but I wasn't certain since presumably someone must like him?

He's awful.
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:58 - Apr 8 with 2711 viewswaynekerr55

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:45 - Apr 8 by londonlisa2001

yes sorry - I only saw you'd asked the same thing after I'd responded !

Well I agree re Mr Balls - I think he is a bigger liability for the Labour party's election hopes than Ed, but I wasn't certain since presumably someone must like him?

He's awful.

He's too much trouble in the back benches apparently...

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 16:05 - Apr 8 with 2708 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:58 - Apr 8 by waynekerr55

He's too much trouble in the back benches apparently...

beards are all the rage these days for hipsters...
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 16:41 - Apr 8 with 2688 viewsmonmouth

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 16:05 - Apr 8 by londonlisa2001

beards are all the rage these days for hipsters...

Oh dear God no. Please don't tell me Balls has got a beard.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 16:52 - Apr 8 with 2681 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 16:41 - Apr 8 by monmouth

Oh dear God no. Please don't tell me Balls has got a beard.

more than one sort of beard Mon.
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:22 - Apr 8 with 2662 viewsexiledclaseboy

Anyone else met Ed Balls? No? Just me. Thought so.

I chose my words very deliberately. Love him, hate him, rate him or his politics he is most certainly a very capable politician.

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:51 - Apr 8 with 2642 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:22 - Apr 8 by exiledclaseboy

I chose my words very deliberately. Love him, hate him, rate him or his politics he is most certainly a very capable politician.

I've met his wife.
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:58 - Apr 8 with 2631 viewswaynekerr55

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:22 - Apr 8 by exiledclaseboy

Quite why they banned you from TJA is beyond me 😷

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 18:11 - Apr 8 with 2626 viewsskippyjack

I can see it now... Ed balls it up.. I'm more capable than Ed.. I'm concerned

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 21:15 - Apr 8 with 2563 viewsyescomeon

Something a bit more light hearted, just seen the PPB from the Greens, made me chuckle.

Upthecity!

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 22:51 - Apr 8 with 2530 viewsLohengrin

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 21:15 - Apr 8 by yescomeon

Something a bit more light hearted, just seen the PPB from the Greens, made me chuckle.

"Voting true, not tactical."

That's a good slogan.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 23:19 - Apr 8 with 2515 viewsperchrockjack

YYet the cooper.

Ive always been attracted to powerful worn except her.

Theresa may ..now there s a girl

Barbara castle liked the odd man too

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 12:10 - Apr 9 with 2437 viewsacejack3065

I have met his wife Yvette. She was lovely, down to earth and to be honest seemed an odd fit for her husband.

Labour will do well to take any lead into this general election. The full force of the media is working against them as the tabloids reprint Tory smears about Ed and the BBC tows the line in fear of being the next state asset to be sold off and stripped down. The beebs coverage of Labours non-dom announcement was nothing short of appalling.

Ashcrofts polls aren't helping as they seem to be wildly inaccurate in certain areas. The poll commissioned for the Vale of Glamorgan had the Labour support shrinking from 2010 and the Plaid support almost tripling. This is quite remarkable as

a) labour support has clearly grown since 2010. The 2012 assembly election would almost certainly suggest this as Jane Hutt AM increased her majority of 83 from 2007 to over 3000 in 2012.

b) Labour also took control of the Vale Council from the Tories in 2012, albeit under a coalition agreement with independent Councillors.

c) Plaid support is actually retreating in Wales and they risk losing one of their three MPs to Labour. Why would there be an unexplained tripling of support in an area that has little to no affinity to Plaid? Plaid would have to be taking swathes of Labour votes in areas like Barry. While this is possible and it is Plaid's long term aim, its not something they've replicated successfully anywhere. Even in places like Llanelli which is their obvious coveted target.

d) unless Ashcroft polled an area with Plaid Councillors and found a result he was looking for. Ashcroft doesn't release the same info that YouGov and the other pollsters do as he isn't required to do so. His polling can be selective if he wants it to be and that will affect the outlook on the national picture.

My prediction is Labour will be the largest party but only just. If they can topple Clegg in Sheffield it will make their negotiating position that much easier with the Lib Dems. There will most likely be an issue by issue agreement with the SNP to back things like the abolition of the bedroom tax but no support for Labour led austerity. Plaid will likely back Labour in return for more money and power for Wales and that can only be a good thing!
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 13:07 - Apr 9 with 2424 viewsyescomeon

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 12:10 - Apr 9 by acejack3065

I have met his wife Yvette. She was lovely, down to earth and to be honest seemed an odd fit for her husband.

Labour will do well to take any lead into this general election. The full force of the media is working against them as the tabloids reprint Tory smears about Ed and the BBC tows the line in fear of being the next state asset to be sold off and stripped down. The beebs coverage of Labours non-dom announcement was nothing short of appalling.

Ashcrofts polls aren't helping as they seem to be wildly inaccurate in certain areas. The poll commissioned for the Vale of Glamorgan had the Labour support shrinking from 2010 and the Plaid support almost tripling. This is quite remarkable as

a) labour support has clearly grown since 2010. The 2012 assembly election would almost certainly suggest this as Jane Hutt AM increased her majority of 83 from 2007 to over 3000 in 2012.

b) Labour also took control of the Vale Council from the Tories in 2012, albeit under a coalition agreement with independent Councillors.

c) Plaid support is actually retreating in Wales and they risk losing one of their three MPs to Labour. Why would there be an unexplained tripling of support in an area that has little to no affinity to Plaid? Plaid would have to be taking swathes of Labour votes in areas like Barry. While this is possible and it is Plaid's long term aim, its not something they've replicated successfully anywhere. Even in places like Llanelli which is their obvious coveted target.

d) unless Ashcroft polled an area with Plaid Councillors and found a result he was looking for. Ashcroft doesn't release the same info that YouGov and the other pollsters do as he isn't required to do so. His polling can be selective if he wants it to be and that will affect the outlook on the national picture.

My prediction is Labour will be the largest party but only just. If they can topple Clegg in Sheffield it will make their negotiating position that much easier with the Lib Dems. There will most likely be an issue by issue agreement with the SNP to back things like the abolition of the bedroom tax but no support for Labour led austerity. Plaid will likely back Labour in return for more money and power for Wales and that can only be a good thing!

I hope your prediction comes true.

Upthecity!

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 13:22 - Apr 9 with 2419 viewsjackonicko

I agre on he BBCs coverage of the non-dom announcement. Despite Andrew Neil's best efforts on the Daily Politics, they still didn't get across quite how economically illiterate it was.
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 16:46 - Apr 9 with 2377 viewsLohengrin

Don't you mean culpable?
[Post edited 9 Apr 2015 16:46]

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:28 - Apr 9 with 2356 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 16:46 - Apr 9 by Lohengrin

Don't you mean culpable?
[Post edited 9 Apr 2015 16:46]

That's as maybe, but it still doesn't render the adjective I used invalid.

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:59 - Apr 9 with 2347 viewsLohengrin

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:28 - Apr 9 by exiledclaseboy

That's as maybe, but it still doesn't render the adjective I used invalid.

In that case he exhibits the qualities of blameworthiness well if we accept both are true.

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 19:17 - Apr 9 with 2311 viewsJackfath

Right then.

Who do I vote for?

I went Greens last time. Thinking of Plaid this. A wasted vote for both of these? Who should I vote for to upset the apple cart around out local area?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 19:49 - Apr 9 with 2301 viewsskippyjack

I've stated numerous corruption soundbites from both the Labour and Tory lot

UKIP and their inhuman sanctions are hard to put the X into

Plaid struggles to influence the Welsh Assembly.. Nevermind the breadwinner in Westminster..

Greens manifesto is the worst I've ever seen

BNP!

I have a soft spot for the monster raving loony party..

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 19:57 - Apr 9 with 2292 viewsJackfath

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 19:49 - Apr 9 by skippyjack

I've stated numerous corruption soundbites from both the Labour and Tory lot

UKIP and their inhuman sanctions are hard to put the X into

Plaid struggles to influence the Welsh Assembly.. Nevermind the breadwinner in Westminster..

Greens manifesto is the worst I've ever seen

BNP!

I have a soft spot for the monster raving loony party..

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/conlist_wales.html#SwanseaEast

Have a look at this site. Seems pointless voting for anyone. Labour have got it sewn up around this manor. Why people keep on voting for them I have no idea. It's mental.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024