Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread 20:33 - Apr 7 with 82755 viewsexiledclaseboy

About time we had one and it's got the word "official" in the title so that makes all the difference. If a mod wants to sticky it, feel free.

I seem to remember that five years ago (on the old, better Planet Swans) we got to nearly 100 pages and then another 60odd with the "aftermath" thread. They were good fun but there were more posters then and we were all a bit more tolerant of others' views. Let's try to be nice to each other, eh.

Anyway, best site for opinion polls is this one in my experience:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/

Polls are so tight the only conclusion is that the Tories and Labour are head to head nationwide. Can't put a whisker between them.

Tories need about 39-40% for an overall majority. Labour will probably get one on 36-37%. God bless our ridiculous voting system.

So, enjoy yourselves. I'll start with a prediction. Labour to win most seats but slightly fewer votes than the Tories and end up forming some kind of minority government with support from various parliamentary lefties on a vote by vote basis. And then all of a sudden many Tory supporters will discover that they've always hated first past the post and can't understand why we perpetuate a system under which the party which more people voted for than any other can lose the election. It'll be quite funny and lead to calls for a proper voting system. Which everyone will forget about in six months when all the fuss has died down.

What say you?

Poll: Tory leader

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 14:46 - Apr 30 with 1592 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 08:53 - Apr 30 by trampie

The lovely Leanne goes into battle once more tonight having done the leaders debate, the challengers debate and then the Welsh leaders debate she is now going to be on an 'Ask Leanne Wood' show, all the leaders are having what amounts to their own show [being asked questions by an audience on their own apparently].

Leanne could be said to be currently Britain's most popular politician, a recent poll had her having the most positive feedback followed by George Osborne [benefitting from the proposed tax freeze perhaps, they particularly love that in England] has come from nowhere to second, the Green mp Caroline Lucas is in third and somewhat surprisingly Harriet Harman in fourth.
The bottom 5 consists of Cameron, Clegg, Farage, Boris Johnson and Martin McGuinness [some question should he have done the handshake].

Any poll of any type that has both Osborne and Harman amongst the top 4 'most popular politicians' should be taken with a bucket load of salt, as they are transparently asking complete idiots Trampie.

Glad to see that your incessant bigging up of Wood and utter xenophobia towards England continues unabated though.
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 14:49 - Apr 30 with 1588 viewsscottishjack

Right then help me out...A week to go and this is where my thoughts are with this election.

First off, after a recent move, it seems I am now in the Gower constituency, the Conservative candidate Byron Davies has been very active and the points he make are very good on a local level, if this was a local election he would probably get my vote for local council, but the conservatives nationally seem to have spent the campaign being very negative about everyone else without saying too much about themselves. It's not so much David Cameron, but Osborne, Duncan-Smith etc. Have killed any chance the Conservatives have of getting my vote in a general election.

The Labour candidate is Liz Evans, don't know much about her, haven't seen anything apart from letter drops, which are pretty much the Labour manifesto broken down, not much of a local interest in there, I don't think Miliband is strong enough personally to lead a minority government, the list goes on and on...

Lib Dems...just no! They had a chance to make some difference as part of the coalition, and in my opinion they have completely blown it.

UKIP, I see the candidate quite regularly, and not once has he tried to engage me with politics, tried to get my vote, or even discussed who I am planning to vote for?! Bizarre to say the least considering he is running for parliament, but there we go! They wouldn't be getting my vote anyway.

Green...Their policies are on the wrong side of mental, some great ideas, but unworkable... The £10 minimum wage killed it for me.

Plaid - Really don't know enough about their policies at the moment to justify voting for them, have had no leaflets, literature etc...

So what the hell?!? If it meant a Labour/SNP coalition, with Sturgeon (Who I think is a good politician, and strong enough to make things happen alongside Labour) then that is what I would vote for. Now how do I vote for that?

Keeping in mind that the chances are that Labour will win the Gower seat, how should I vote? Labour I guess?
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:09 - Apr 30 with 1575 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 14:49 - Apr 30 by scottishjack

Right then help me out...A week to go and this is where my thoughts are with this election.

First off, after a recent move, it seems I am now in the Gower constituency, the Conservative candidate Byron Davies has been very active and the points he make are very good on a local level, if this was a local election he would probably get my vote for local council, but the conservatives nationally seem to have spent the campaign being very negative about everyone else without saying too much about themselves. It's not so much David Cameron, but Osborne, Duncan-Smith etc. Have killed any chance the Conservatives have of getting my vote in a general election.

The Labour candidate is Liz Evans, don't know much about her, haven't seen anything apart from letter drops, which are pretty much the Labour manifesto broken down, not much of a local interest in there, I don't think Miliband is strong enough personally to lead a minority government, the list goes on and on...

Lib Dems...just no! They had a chance to make some difference as part of the coalition, and in my opinion they have completely blown it.

UKIP, I see the candidate quite regularly, and not once has he tried to engage me with politics, tried to get my vote, or even discussed who I am planning to vote for?! Bizarre to say the least considering he is running for parliament, but there we go! They wouldn't be getting my vote anyway.

Green...Their policies are on the wrong side of mental, some great ideas, but unworkable... The £10 minimum wage killed it for me.

Plaid - Really don't know enough about their policies at the moment to justify voting for them, have had no leaflets, literature etc...

So what the hell?!? If it meant a Labour/SNP coalition, with Sturgeon (Who I think is a good politician, and strong enough to make things happen alongside Labour) then that is what I would vote for. Now how do I vote for that?

Keeping in mind that the chances are that Labour will win the Gower seat, how should I vote? Labour I guess?

I wouldn't dream of telling anyone how to vote, but I find it interesting that the local candidate seems to be irrelevant in the thinking?

Getting to the point where we all may as well vote for a party if that is the case and forget what local candidates are selected - they can just be allocated after the event.

And you can't vote for a coalition of Labour and SNP - the Labour party have categorically ruled it out. And Sturgeon won't have a say as she is not standing (despite the efforts of he SNP to put Salmond in a box it'll be him who leads the parliamentary party).
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:17 - Apr 30 with 1563 viewslibertine

the more people realise its not a wasted vote the more that vote

easy!
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:26 - Apr 30 with 1553 viewsscottishjack

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:09 - Apr 30 by londonlisa2001

I wouldn't dream of telling anyone how to vote, but I find it interesting that the local candidate seems to be irrelevant in the thinking?

Getting to the point where we all may as well vote for a party if that is the case and forget what local candidates are selected - they can just be allocated after the event.

And you can't vote for a coalition of Labour and SNP - the Labour party have categorically ruled it out. And Sturgeon won't have a say as she is not standing (despite the efforts of he SNP to put Salmond in a box it'll be him who leads the parliamentary party).

Which is where my confusion lies...

I'm making an effort to engage in this election but my opinion is torn between local issues and the national issues. As for not voting for a coalition, apologies, but from my understanding the SNP could "prop up" labour even without a formal coalition? I may well be wrong but isn't that near enough the same thing?

And it may go against the majority on here, but I think Nicola Sturgeon is a very good politician...but you're right, I can't vote for her so there we go.
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:41 - Apr 30 with 1545 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:26 - Apr 30 by scottishjack

Which is where my confusion lies...

I'm making an effort to engage in this election but my opinion is torn between local issues and the national issues. As for not voting for a coalition, apologies, but from my understanding the SNP could "prop up" labour even without a formal coalition? I may well be wrong but isn't that near enough the same thing?

And it may go against the majority on here, but I think Nicola Sturgeon is a very good politician...but you're right, I can't vote for her so there we go.

I completely understand where you're coming from - I have had the same issue on a number of occasions, for both general and even council elections as well. I'm just remarking really that it is getting to a stage of almost presidential type elections - the local element seems to have almost completely gone.

I agree re the propping up bit - it was more a point against Labour in some ways, as they've been adamant that there will be no coalition and I think they will go back on that (in all but name).

I didn't mean she's not standing in Gower by the way - I meant she's not standing full stop. They have used her as the leader but also as the acceptable face of SNP - she is more voter friendly than Salmond, but it's him that will have the power in parliament, not her - she's the first minister of Scotland and will have nothing much to do with it. Re the good politician bit - I think she is very politically astute, but there are a lot of problems in Scotland with the Scottish Parliament and they've barely been mentioned.

Their figures (SNP figures) for the independence vote have been shown up already as absolute crap, yet again they haven't been challenged on them. If they had won the vote, Scotland would be utterly bankrupt already (because of the collapse in oil prices) and they would still be in the transition phase - they would never have got to the independence bit within completely reworking everything.
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:59 - Apr 30 with 1535 viewsC_jack

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 14:49 - Apr 30 by scottishjack

It's difficult because the systems a mess. In essence, you're voting for someone local to represent your view (theoretically) in parliament, yet its never that simple because you inevitably have to also think about the make up of government on a national level. It's a clusterduck, to put it lightly.

My advice would be to forget about it on the local level, it's completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Make your mind up on who you want leading the country for 5 years, not who's going up and down the m4 to sit on their hands every wednesday

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 16:01 - Apr 30 with 1533 viewsC_jack

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/gower/

and the general one - http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/
[Post edited 30 Apr 2015 16:03]

Login to get fewer ads

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:15 - Apr 30 with 1502 viewstrampie

It seems as if some people in urban jungles particularly in England expect the same per head as people living in the countryside, since a lot of people live on top of each other in the smoke then you can get away with one dust cart to cover lots of people and have lots of rubbish collections, in rural areas its a different ball game, services in the countryside cost a lot more to provide, its the same principle as 2 people being able to live in the same property a lot less cheaper per head than 1 person as their bills are shared.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:20 - Apr 30 with 1499 viewstrampie

Yet again another Nobel prize winner recently in the news seemingly saying that the London Westminster parties have got it wrong on the economy and therefore some will deduce that the likes of Plaid Cymru have got it right, austerity does not work, remember how Britain never had it so good a decade or so after the 2nd world war, they invested, they spent their way out of a huge financial hole.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2015 17:21]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:24 - Apr 30 with 1491 viewsC_jack

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:20 - Apr 30 by trampie

Yet again another Nobel prize winner recently in the news seemingly saying that the London Westminster parties have got it wrong on the economy and therefore some will deduce that the likes of Plaid Cymru have got it right, austerity does not work, remember how Britain never had it so good a decade or so after the 2nd world war, they invested, they spent their way out of a huge financial hole.

They invested and spent after a decade of rebuilding and austerity. You cannot fool the economy by simply spending more and more in a downward spiral of doom.

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:42 - Apr 30 with 1476 viewstrampie

Read it and weep.

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:53 - Apr 30 with 1464 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:15 - Apr 30 by trampie

It seems as if some people in urban jungles particularly in England expect the same per head as people living in the countryside, since a lot of people live on top of each other in the smoke then you can get away with one dust cart to cover lots of people and have lots of rubbish collections, in rural areas its a different ball game, services in the countryside cost a lot more to provide, its the same principle as 2 people being able to live in the same property a lot less cheaper per head than 1 person as their bills are shared.

No Trampie.

What seems to be the case is that you want people living in urban jungles as you call them to have less spent per head on public services, to have a lower quality of life and yet to pay more than you do in taxes in order to subsidise your rural idyll to the same level of service.

That's what called having your cake and eating it (oh, and someone else has paid for your cake).
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:54 - Apr 30 with 1459 viewslibertine

but surely spending more man has to be the answer,

but if it was as simple as that then why not spend who wouldn't want people to spend?

as I said many times there are many economic schools of thought on this they all differ, I don't really think that Swansea can handle any more austerity, I went to town yesterday and was shocked, I haven't been there for a month and more shops have closed.

I hate tories ever since the time of the wicked witch, but the current mess on Swansea has nothing to do with tories its down to labour we haven't been ruled by tories in wales, we have a labour council who are simpletons and I don't use the word loosely, they are so concerned with the EU's regulations which stop them doing what they would like so why do they support the EU if its stopping them doing things, that they would like???????
They are concerned with being fair to other places in the EU and giving them equal opportunities to us, I am sure if these pen pushers had their own jobs on the line they would not be so cavalier about the consequences of their red tapes. The other places in the EU aren't fair to us and don't give us opportunities therefore our own government are putting us at a disadvantage while maintaining false dignity.

these are the people that make the biggest difference to you not the eton mess.

Its a pity plaid weren't making more of an effort here in Swansea west, no on else is so i'm sure they'd nik it.

Dr Dai is the sort of person you can trust, honestly most people do trust him with their lives, get back into politics Dr Dai Swansea West this time
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:56 - Apr 30 with 1451 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:20 - Apr 30 by trampie

All you need to do to see what is working and what is not, is to look at how much the UK pays to borrow money and compare that with countries that have not tried to introduce measures to halt spiralling deficits.
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 18:02 - Apr 30 with 1448 viewstrampie

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:53 - Apr 30 by londonlisa2001

No Trampie.

What seems to be the case is that you want people living in urban jungles as you call them to have less spent per head on public services, to have a lower quality of life and yet to pay more than you do in taxes in order to subsidise your rural idyll to the same level of service.

That's what called having your cake and eating it (oh, and someone else has paid for your cake).

No Lisa.

Everybody should have the same standard of services, we are still one sovereign state, we should try and provide the same standard and same frequency of services across that state, if that doesn't happen it would help create a situation where the state splits up.

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 18:33 - Apr 30 with 1422 viewsWitneyjack

You should have my choice !!!
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 18:44 - Apr 30 with 1410 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 18:02 - Apr 30 by trampie

No Lisa.

Everybody should have the same standard of services, we are still one sovereign state, we should try and provide the same standard and same frequency of services across that state, if that doesn't happen it would help create a situation where the state splits up.

No one is saying we're not one sovereign state? You appear to believe though that all of England is urban?
The vast majority of people in Wales are urban. Most live within 50 miles along the South Wales coast.
Yet you want more per head for wales at England's expense. Why is that fair if we are all one state?
Re the difference in service between urban and rural in any part of the UK then I disagree that there should be same service and frequency. You pays your money and you makes your choice - you want all the upside and none of the downside of living somewhere more remote.
If you want the same frequency of service as someone living where it's cheaper to provide it, then you pay more.
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 19:04 - Apr 30 with 1393 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:09 - Apr 30 by londonlisa2001

People already vote for a party not the local candidate. In most cases anyway. MPs always vote on party lines in the Commons so the individual candidate's views on most issues are irrelevant.

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 19:11 - Apr 30 with 1387 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 19:04 - Apr 30 by exiledclaseboy

People already vote for a party not the local candidate. In most cases anyway. MPs always vote on party lines in the Commons so the individual candidate's views on most issues are irrelevant.

Quite a few social issues are left as matters for individual conscience not under the party whip though (the equal marriage act for example) so it does matter in some cases.
I agree overall, but it is a shame as some MPs have far more affinity for their areas and constituencies than others and I believe that still matters.
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 19:14 - Apr 30 with 1384 viewstrampie

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 18:44 - Apr 30 by londonlisa2001

No one is saying we're not one sovereign state? You appear to believe though that all of England is urban?
The vast majority of people in Wales are urban. Most live within 50 miles along the South Wales coast.
Yet you want more per head for wales at England's expense. Why is that fair if we are all one state?
Re the difference in service between urban and rural in any part of the UK then I disagree that there should be same service and frequency. You pays your money and you makes your choice - you want all the upside and none of the downside of living somewhere more remote.
If you want the same frequency of service as someone living where it's cheaper to provide it, then you pay more.

England and Wales are not sovereign states, we are all part of one sovereign state and people should have the same or at least a similar standard and frequency of services across the entire state and that includes all parts of the state like Cornwall for example which is in England.

You are fixated with England this and London that and being divisive with other areas within our country like Scotland and Wales, if to provide similar services for everybody means one area has less per head spent on them but get exactly the same service as areas that get more per head spent on them then that is right and proper in a civilised and equal state.

Plaid would spread the wealth, Cardiff and parts of South East Wales would no doubt get less spent on them per head than the rest of Wales but everybody would get a similar service.

Now its my turn for me to put things to you, [1] so you think its ok for some citizens of our state to have lesser services than other citizens of our state ? [because services do cost more to provide in rural areas] [2] in turn wont that lead to areas of deprivation and also lead to people migrating to areas with better services which in turn will lead to overcrowding and a strain on that areas services ? [which will mean the quality of life in those areas going downhill].

I'm happy to pay my taxes, I would be happy to pay more taxes, even thought I currently put in to the pot and don't take out, I would be happy to have less spent on me per head as long as my services were similar to other peoples services that had more per head spent on them.

It seems as if you are very much part of the capitalist me me me society Lisa, a daughter of Thatcher so to speak.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2015 19:20]

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 19:16 - Apr 30 with 1377 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 19:11 - Apr 30 by londonlisa2001

Quite a few social issues are left as matters for individual conscience not under the party whip though (the equal marriage act for example) so it does matter in some cases.
I agree overall, but it is a shame as some MPs have far more affinity for their areas and constituencies than others and I believe that still matters.

I take the point but there aren't many true constituency MPs left these days. There aren't that many non-whipped Commons votes either, especially when no party has a majority but there are a few.

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 19:31 - Apr 30 with 1354 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 19:14 - Apr 30 by trampie

England and Wales are not sovereign states, we are all part of one sovereign state and people should have the same or at least a similar standard and frequency of services across the entire state and that includes all parts of the state like Cornwall for example which is in England.

You are fixated with England this and London that and being divisive with other areas within our country like Scotland and Wales, if to provide similar services for everybody means one area has less per head spent on them but get exactly the same service as areas that get more per head spent on them then that is right and proper in a civilised and equal state.

Plaid would spread the wealth, Cardiff and parts of South East Wales would no doubt get less spent on them per head than the rest of Wales but everybody would get a similar service.

Now its my turn for me to put things to you, [1] so you think its ok for some citizens of our state to have lesser services than other citizens of our state ? [because services do cost more to provide in rural areas] [2] in turn wont that lead to areas of deprivation and also lead to people migrating to areas with better services which in turn will lead to overcrowding and a strain on that areas services ? [which will mean the quality of life in those areas going downhill].

I'm happy to pay my taxes, I would be happy to pay more taxes, even thought I currently put in to the pot and don't take out, I would be happy to have less spent on me per head as long as my services were similar to other peoples services that had more per head spent on them.

It seems as if you are very much part of the capitalist me me me society Lisa, a daughter of Thatcher so to speak.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2015 19:20]

The person who is being 'me me me' is you.

I know that the UK is one state - I am Welsh and live in England so understand the concept.

You make faiy constant and in some cases pretty offensive comments about England and people living in it. Let me sum up for you - England gets LESS per head than Wales who in turn get less than Scotland who in turn get less than NI.
It's nothing to do with urban va rural - as a % of the population I wouldn't be surprised if England has a bigger rural population than Wales but Barnett specifically excludes any adjustment for that.

I believe that everyone deserves the same basic level of essential services like health, education etc but frequency of stuff like rubbish collection which is what you were moaning about - nah unless they want to pay more for it.
Btw - your nonsense about what Palid would do - the only time recently they had any power they gave EVERYTHING to Cardiff.
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 19:50 - Apr 30 with 1345 viewstrampie

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 19:31 - Apr 30 by londonlisa2001

The person who is being 'me me me' is you.

I know that the UK is one state - I am Welsh and live in England so understand the concept.

You make faiy constant and in some cases pretty offensive comments about England and people living in it. Let me sum up for you - England gets LESS per head than Wales who in turn get less than Scotland who in turn get less than NI.
It's nothing to do with urban va rural - as a % of the population I wouldn't be surprised if England has a bigger rural population than Wales but Barnett specifically excludes any adjustment for that.

I believe that everyone deserves the same basic level of essential services like health, education etc but frequency of stuff like rubbish collection which is what you were moaning about - nah unless they want to pay more for it.
Btw - your nonsense about what Palid would do - the only time recently they had any power they gave EVERYTHING to Cardiff.

There is no England or Wales or Scotland or Northern Ireland as regards being individual sovereign states, they are just different parts of one singular sovereign state and you clearly think that some people should have better services than other people living within the same state.
There is dog eat dog and survival of the fittest and there is fairness and equality.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2015 20:02]

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 20:20 - Apr 30 with 1304 viewsexiledclaseboy

Dave's just told us all exactly why he loves the NHS. Again.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024