Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Black managers 07:43 - Apr 16 with 3122 viewsshandyjack

Is there reallly a discriminate felling towards them in football? Should the Rooney rule be introduced or should is it just a case of if your good enough you'll get work?

Poll: Expectation for the season

Black managers on 07:59 - Apr 16 with 2051 viewsItchySphincter

There is obviously discrimination. People who discriminate don't even realise they are doing it.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Black managers on 08:12 - Apr 16 with 2024 viewsDr_Winston

Black managers on 07:59 - Apr 16 by ItchySphincter

There is obviously discrimination. People who discriminate don't even realise they are doing it.

There's certainly going to be some resistance amongst the Dave Whelan's of the world.

I think it's going to take one successful black manager to open the floodgates. Problem is most of them have been uniformly awful. John Barnes has probably set their cause back ten years single handed.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Black managers on 08:28 - Apr 16 with 1998 viewsblueytheblue

The Rooney rule is absolute garbage.

For those not knowing, it's an NFL rule that specifies that when looking for a newcoach, at least one minority candidate has to be interviewed.

The problem is, it's restrictive on the employer. You like coach X, someone with a lengthy history. You feel he's a good fit for what the team is, you want to appoint him. No, wait, you can't you've got to instead assemble a shortlist including at least one token minority coach when at the end of the process you'll appoint the person you want.

There are a number of instances where African-American coaches have been interviewed solely to fulfill the Rooney Rule. Not through racism but due to the horribly patronising rule still existing.

With regards to British football it's not a case of "we're being discriminated against". Quite the opposite in the case of say Paul Ince who wouldn't get a managerial role based upon his record. It's more the case people from minorities aren't necessarily putting themselves forward.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Black managers on 08:49 - Apr 16 with 1973 viewsDarran

I think it's a load of bollox.
Monks off to West Ham in the summer so what black fella is our number one target?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Black managers on 09:15 - Apr 16 with 1942 viewsperchrockjack

John BARNES was a great player and Ive seen and heard racial abuse aimed at him and it wasn't good.
He was a terrible manager at Celtic, even worse at Tranmere..
Yep, Ive spoken to him several times when our son was playing junior football and a nicer more humble guy you couldn't wish to meet. REALLY..

But, he s a poor example as he really aint cut out for it but some of the greatest players of the game have been black but cant think of any significant black managers

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Black managers on 10:09 - Apr 16 with 1889 viewsMrSwerve

I thought the Rooney rule was a quota of over-65s you had to sleep with in a year...

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Black managers on 10:11 - Apr 16 with 1886 viewsWarwickHunt

Black managers on 08:49 - Apr 16 by Darran

Monks off to West Ham in the summer so what black fella is our number one target?

Bayo is a big target.
Black managers on 10:20 - Apr 16 with 1877 viewsjack247

Barnes was moaning about this on talk sport a few weeks ago, seemingly unaware he was given the chance to manage Celtic with no previous experience.

Ince had a go in the Premier League and wasn't great. Hughton did ok at Newcastle without setting the world alight. Keith Curle and Chris Powell have both managed outside the Prem and I'm sure there are plenty of others.

The problem is, no black manager has really hit the heights yet and as Dr W says, once one does, this perceived stigma will go away. Let's see what happens if Rio decides he wants a go when he hangs up his boots, I'm sure he wouldn't struggle for job offers.
Login to get fewer ads

Black managers on 10:21 - Apr 16 with 1874 viewsDull1Thomas

Mr WIlliams?

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins step down?

Black managers on 10:35 - Apr 16 with 1855 viewsScoobyWho

Black managers on 08:12 - Apr 16 by Dr_Winston

There's certainly going to be some resistance amongst the Dave Whelan's of the world.

I think it's going to take one successful black manager to open the floodgates. Problem is most of them have been uniformly awful. John Barnes has probably set their cause back ten years single handed.

I agree wholeheartedly, Barnes confused the fact he is a sh1t manager with the fact he had been discriminated against. He then states he has never been given a chance at a top club, here is a quote when he managed Celtic.
' I've joined the biggest and best club in the world, nothing betters this '
This is more about his incompetence than discrimination.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Black managers on 10:46 - Apr 16 with 1835 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Black managers on 11:16 - Apr 16 with 1796 viewsjack247

Black managers on 10:21 - Apr 16 by Dull1Thomas

Mr WIlliams?

It won't be Ashley Williams, not unless Garry is here for a good few years. Really can't see anything in this West Ham link, if they get rid of Sam they are gonna want a big name who plays pretty football to boost their fanbase in readiness for their new stadium. They will either keep hold of him or break the bank
Black managers on 11:23 - Apr 16 with 1783 viewsshandyjack

i find it hard to get my head around the fact that a chairman would get a list of applicants and think ' oh he's the best man for the job but i can't give it to him because he's black'

Their are plenty of white managers who can't get a job, in the lower league there seems to be a case of a few managers are shunted around clubs limited chances of any managers. How many chances have Peter Taylor, Phil Brown, Michael Appleton and Gary Johnson been given b different clubs down the bottom. I'm sure other non experienced managers are out there who could do a better job.

i'd argue that there is more a case of not enough inexperienced managers being given a chance than not enough black managers.

Poll: Expectation for the season

Black managers on 11:25 - Apr 16 with 1778 viewsfather_jack

Black managers on 11:16 - Apr 16 by jack247

It won't be Ashley Williams, not unless Garry is here for a good few years. Really can't see anything in this West Ham link, if they get rid of Sam they are gonna want a big name who plays pretty football to boost their fanbase in readiness for their new stadium. They will either keep hold of him or break the bank

how many black players have actually done their licences tho?

DRINK, FECK, GIRRRRLLSSS!

Black managers on 11:36 - Apr 16 with 1761 viewsAquinas

I don't buy into it at all.

There is certainly no discrimination against black players, I find it hard to believe that this all suddenly changes when it gets to management.

They can do their badges like anyone else. Theirry Henry will walk into a job.

Just because you're a good football player doesn't give you a right to be hired. Tony Adams, Roy Keane etc were great players but average managers (so far).

It doesn't help having the biggest idiot on the planet (Sol Campbell) as one of the leading voices for the movement.
Black managers on 02:01 - Apr 17 with 1549 viewsmacthejack

Who was the french bloke doing his badges in Wales? Was it Makelele or Viera or someone? I reckon either of those could make a very good fist of being a manager.
Black managers on 02:57 - Apr 17 with 1534 viewsStarsky

Well all i can say is the QPR manager

It's just the internet, init.

Black managers on 10:08 - Apr 17 with 1425 viewsLeonisGod

Black managers on 11:36 - Apr 16 by Aquinas

I don't buy into it at all.

There is certainly no discrimination against black players, I find it hard to believe that this all suddenly changes when it gets to management.

They can do their badges like anyone else. Theirry Henry will walk into a job.

Just because you're a good football player doesn't give you a right to be hired. Tony Adams, Roy Keane etc were great players but average managers (so far).

It doesn't help having the biggest idiot on the planet (Sol Campbell) as one of the leading voices for the movement.

I believe the figures suggest there is a problem. A lot of black players are doing their badges apparently, but very few are then finding jobs. I don't know the reasons for this, but the figures suggest it is something worth looking at.

Looking at what happens in the PL is misleading as you've got to be very good to keep a job in this league. We have had black managers in the PL and they've all been crap, as have plenty of white managers. But if black managers/coaches are not being offered jobs at any level through the football pyramid then there could well be a discrimination problem.
Black managers on 10:42 - Apr 17 with 1407 viewsUxbridge

The Rooney Rule is fine for what it is, but it wouldn't solve anything in British football. The lack of ethnic minority coaches is a much bigger reason for why there are statistically fewer (and it's not massively fewer in fairness) ethnic minority managers than you'd expect given the player base of the last 20 years.

Look at the top managers in the PL for example. All worked their way up through the ranks, most having worked at smaller clubs first. Parachuting someone in to the big job without that experience is a thing of the past anyway.

If you wanted to implement a Rooney Rule, you'd have to do it at a lower level to be effective. The question is whether there's discrimination at that level or not. Must admit I'm not sure there is, or at least no more than the normal sort of discrimination that impacts every other aspect of life.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2015 10:44]

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Black managers on 14:26 - Apr 17 with 1332 viewssully49

I

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

Black managers on 16:41 - Apr 17 with 1280 viewsClinton

Huge red herring*
If you are good enough you will get work.
football is a cut-throat, results-driven business with huge turnover of managers. Any half-decent manager regardless of race will flourish.

*Other colours of herring are available.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Black managers on 16:59 - Apr 17 with 1271 viewsicecoldjack

What ever happened to the best man for the job ?

There probably are still some "dave whelen£ types still out there but im also quite sure that if there was a black Mourinho out there 99% of clubs would be falling over themselves to recruit him .
Black managers on 18:13 - Apr 17 with 1243 viewsC_jack

It's all a bit sad, really. Sol Campbell especially is doing my head in without his pathetic whining. John Barnes saying that black coaches don't get second chances made me laugh though, considering the absolute cluster f**k he made out of his time at Celtic and Tranmere, who on earth would touch any manager with those records, with a bargepole.

They need to get off their f**king arse (That's you Sol, especially) and prove to the game why they should be given a job, not moaning and using their skin colour as an excuse as to why they're not good enough.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Black managers on 18:16 - Apr 17 with 1238 viewsC_jack

Black managers on 02:01 - Apr 17 by macthejack

Who was the french bloke doing his badges in Wales? Was it Makelele or Viera or someone? I reckon either of those could make a very good fist of being a manager.

Vieira and Ginola have been on the course over the last few years.

Vieira could well be an outsider to be the next Citeh manager, he'll have a crack at the caretaker role for certain if they bin Pellegrini before the seasons done.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Black managers on 18:21 - Apr 17 with 1230 viewsDarran

Black managers on 02:01 - Apr 17 by macthejack

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024