Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The "Professional" Foul 21:26 - Apr 17 with 2252 viewsNogginthenog

Should Ref's give a red card for a deliberate foul ? The so called "taking one for the team" type of foul. I think it needs outlawing from the game.
The "Professional" Foul on 21:31 - Apr 17 with 2246 viewsNeathJack

Not for me.

I do however think a penalty should only be given if, like a red card, the foul in the box has denied an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

I hate seeing penalties awarded for innocuous offences that are out of proportion to the offence committed.
The "Professional" Foul on 21:39 - Apr 17 with 2219 viewsSwansNZ

The "Professional" Foul on 21:31 - Apr 17 by NeathJack

Not for me.

I do however think a penalty should only be given if, like a red card, the foul in the box has denied an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

I hate seeing penalties awarded for innocuous offences that are out of proportion to the offence committed.

"I hate seeing penalties awarded for innocuous offences that are out of proportion to the offence committed. "

Like our second penalty v Reading in the play-off final. Although, I quite liked that.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

The "Professional" Foul on 21:40 - Apr 17 with 2211 viewsNeathJack

The "Professional" Foul on 21:39 - Apr 17 by SwansNZ

"I hate seeing penalties awarded for innocuous offences that are out of proportion to the offence committed. "

Like our second penalty v Reading in the play-off final. Although, I quite liked that.

That was a nailed on goal stopped by a leg breaker mun
The "Professional" Foul on 21:43 - Apr 17 with 2204 viewsswan_si

if a player commits a foul that leads to treatment being required, therefore the fouled player would have to leave the field, then i reckon the guilty player should be sent off for the same length of time as the fouled player, a fouled player could be off the pitch for 5 minutes or more (Michu's head wound for example) having treatment, the team of the fouling player as a numerical advantage, don't seem right to me.
The "Professional" Foul on 21:56 - Apr 17 with 2175 viewsDavillin

The "Professional" Foul on 21:43 - Apr 17 by swan_si

if a player commits a foul that leads to treatment being required, therefore the fouled player would have to leave the field, then i reckon the guilty player should be sent off for the same length of time as the fouled player, a fouled player could be off the pitch for 5 minutes or more (Michu's head wound for example) having treatment, the team of the fouling player as a numerical advantage, don't seem right to me.

1. I agree in principle, and have felt that way for years. My only concern is the fouled player "simulating" a long period on the sideline in order to get the opposing player -- assuming a good one -- off the pitch.

2. Also, I have long felt that the "blind-side hit" from behind, with any part of the offending player striking the head or back of the neck should result in immediate dismissal on a red card and a longer suspension than normal.

Cynical and cowardly might be an understatement. There are some players who are making a career of it. i truly hope the day does not come when a player suffers a broken neck because of it..

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

The on 22:03 - Apr 17 with 2165 viewsswan_si

The "Professional" Foul on 21:56 - Apr 17 by Davillin

1. I agree in principle, and have felt that way for years. My only concern is the fouled player "simulating" a long period on the sideline in order to get the opposing player -- assuming a good one -- off the pitch.

2. Also, I have long felt that the "blind-side hit" from behind, with any part of the offending player striking the head or back of the neck should result in immediate dismissal on a red card and a longer suspension than normal.

Cynical and cowardly might be an understatement. There are some players who are making a career of it. i truly hope the day does not come when a player suffers a broken neck because of it..

damn players, they are spoiling the game.

[Post edited 17 Apr 2015 23:08]
The "Professional" Foul on 22:44 - Apr 17 with 2120 viewsJackFish

The "Professional" Foul on 21:31 - Apr 17 by NeathJack

Not for me.

I agree with that. Commit an innocuous foul just inside the box and the punishment is way worse than the crime.
The "Professional" Foul on 00:40 - Apr 18 with 2056 viewssully49

I agree with the reasoning behind the question and with what the replies to this particlar thread. Taking one for the teams is widely accepted, rightly or not, and almost everytime it occurs the player accepts a yellow card, unless a goal stopping infrigment occurs then its red.
Unfortunatley there are so many more things happening these days this particlar offence will be low down on the list.
Should we now be looking at introducing sin bins?

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

Login to get fewer ads

The "Professional" Foul on 04:54 - Apr 18 with 2002 viewsNogginthenog

The "Professional" Foul on 00:40 - Apr 18 by sully49

I agree with the reasoning behind the question and with what the replies to this particlar thread. Taking one for the teams is widely accepted, rightly or not, and almost everytime it occurs the player accepts a yellow card, unless a goal stopping infrigment occurs then its red.
Unfortunatley there are so many more things happening these days this particlar offence will be low down on the list.

If my suggestion of a red card is considered too draconian I would agree with the sin bin too.
The "Professional" Foul on 08:42 - Apr 18 with 1936 viewsjojaca

I don't like the double punishment of the goalkeeper getting sent off for bringing a player down in the box and conceding a penalty. A yellow card and penalty is sufficient for that offence.
There have been loads of games the last few years where I have switched channels because of the referee sending player off earlier, it's spoils the game has a spectacle. At least with rugby, teams are only disadvantaged for ten minutes. But sin binning players in football would not work.
Football should have an appeal system like tennis and have a video ref to review incidents. Biggest hatred I have in football at the moment is diving, they should be analysed after matches and punished if guilty. The player I can't stand for play acting is Oscar from Chelsea, the sooner the he leaves the Premier League the better.

Even when you know, you never know?

The "Professional" Foul on 08:56 - Apr 18 with 1919 viewsAndy1300

The "Professional" Foul on 22:44 - Apr 17 by JackFish

I agree with that. Commit an innocuous foul just inside the box and the punishment is way worse than the crime.

In that case, don't foul in the box

Number 1 team in Wales

The "Professional" Foul on 10:00 - Apr 18 with 1883 viewssomersetsimon

The "Professional" Foul on 00:40 - Apr 18 by sully49

There were a couple of times in the Hull game where their players deliberately hacked one of ours down to prevent an attack, but in areas where there were covering defenders so no red card.

Compare this to incident with Bartley at Blackburn where it looked to be a genuine 50/50 tussle for the ball. If the foul had gone our way there wouldn't have even been a yellow for the Blackburn player. However, under the rules, the slightest, most accidental foul by a defender in that position gets a red.
The "Professional" Foul on 10:04 - Apr 18 with 1880 viewslibertine

The "Professional" Foul on 21:43 - Apr 17 by swan_si

what about if the player is out for the rest of the season for instance

a scenario could be foul your opposition so none of their best players are working therefore you would end up getting a higher position in the league
The "Professional" Foul on 10:17 - Apr 18 with 1869 viewsmonmouth

If a penalty and given and scored there should by no red card as well. If the penalty is missed it should be red.

Penalties should be for serious deliberate offences only, they are directly game changing. Watching Narch last night running into the box and throwing themselves over at any 'contact' and systematically appealing every time the ball hit any part of a defender was pathetic, and the result of the current culture.

Mind you, I wouldn't give free kicks for players getting knocked over easily either. Get down the gym you lazy turd and stand up. That Jerome smeg was at it throughout the whole game last night.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The "Professional" Foul on 10:43 - Apr 18 with 1854 viewsDr_Winston

When there are rules as complicated and open to interpretation as offside in the game, I don't see the sense in adding additional layers to what currently stands as a fairly (albeit not completely) straightforward process.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The "Professional" Foul on 11:45 - Apr 18 with 1833 viewsLeonisGod

I wouldn't go as far as a red, but maybe this is where a sin bin system would be useful?
The "Professional" Foul on 11:52 - Apr 18 with 1829 viewsHighjack

Sin Bins would be an absolute nightmare, there's enough timewasting in the game as it is, imagine a team taking ages to take throwins and goal kicks in the 6th minute to wind down the clock so their team mate can come back on.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The on 14:45 - Apr 18 with 1771 viewsDavillin

The on 22:03 - Apr 17 by swan_si

damn players, they are spoiling the game.

[Post edited 17 Apr 2015 23:08]

Let me see if I understand your snappy reply: You think I'm overstating the seriousness of hitting someone from behind where the player cannot expect and prepare to be struck, and hitting the back of his head or the back of his neck?

One of the hits considered "deadly" in unarmed combat is the blow to the back of the neck.

Perhaps I misunderstood your post and it's not terminally misguided after all. If so, mea culpa.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

The "Professional" Foul on 17:14 - Apr 18 with 1745 viewsJackFish

The "Professional" Foul on 11:52 - Apr 18 by Highjack

Sin Bins would be an absolute nightmare, there's enough timewasting in the game as it is, imagine a team taking ages to take throwins and goal kicks in the 6th minute to wind down the clock so their team mate can come back on.

Then combine it with playing 30 minute halves where the clock stops when the ball goes out of play.
The "Professional" Foul on 17:29 - Apr 18 with 1727 viewsmonmouth

The "Professional" Foul on 17:14 - Apr 18 by JackFish

Then combine it with playing 30 minute halves where the clock stops when the ball goes out of play.

I'd love that. But I'd still make it 40-45. For 50K a week I expect a fit athlete.

The on 17:37 - Apr 18 with 1718 viewsswan_si

The on 14:45 - Apr 18 by Davillin

Let me see if I understand your snappy reply: You think I'm overstating the seriousness of hitting someone from behind where the player cannot expect and prepare to be struck, and hitting the back of his head or the back of his neck?

One of the hits considered "deadly" in unarmed combat is the blow to the back of the neck.

Perhaps I misunderstood your post and it's not terminally misguided after all. If so, mea culpa.

no, i don't think you overstated the seriousness of hitting someone from behind, therefore, i think you misunderstood my snappy reply. mea culpa?

The on 17:54 - Apr 18 with 1700 viewsmonmouth

The on 17:37 - Apr 18 by swan_si

no, i don't think you overstated the seriousness of hitting someone from behind, therefore, i think you misunderstood my snappy reply. mea culpa?

Tua culpa?

The "Professional" Foul on 12:19 - Apr 22 with 1551 viewsDewi1jack

The "Professional" Foul on 17:29 - Apr 18 by monmouth

I'd love that. But I'd still make it 40-45. For 50K a week I expect a fit athlete.

This.
Having a siren to sound the end of the game (independant timekeeper) as in Rugby League. Or the independent time keeper radioing the ref, to tell him time is up.
What exactly is the 4th official for, because they don't seem to add on any time for time wasting and the amount of time they add on (in some cases) seems made up from the top of their head. Either that, or they love watching us as well!!
Sin Bins for players where the offence is not deemed serious (time wasting, minor foul etc.) would give the ref a further option when his hands are "tied" by the rules (goalie accidental foul in the penalty area- Penalty and 5 or 10 min sin binning, rather than a red and a penalty)
Sin bin first, then yellow, then red. If the foul is bad enough then yellow and sin bin or red
Diving a straight red. Or when the ref has been conned, the player diving/ conning the ref given a straight 5 match ban, when it's reported and proved to the FA

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

The "Professional" Foul on 12:48 - Apr 22 with 1534 viewsTom1912

The "Professional" Foul on 10:17 - Apr 18 by monmouth

If a penalty and given and scored there should by no red card as well. If the penalty is missed it should be red.

Penalties should be for serious deliberate offences only, they are directly game changing. Watching Narch last night running into the box and throwing themselves over at any 'contact' and systematically appealing every time the ball hit any part of a defender was pathetic, and the result of the current culture.

Mind you, I wouldn't give free kicks for players getting knocked over easily either. Get down the gym you lazy turd and stand up. That Jerome smeg was at it throughout the whole game last night.

The penalty is to give the opportunity taken away from a team by foul means, back to them.

The red card is the punishment and therefore the deterrent to stop players doing it.

Your system would see an increase in fouls and penalties.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024