Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back 20:35 - Apr 18 with 3386 viewsmarchamjack

By the way, all these comments made on the basis that we're having possibly our best PL season so far which is great and I'm fully behind Monk as manager (if not the current style of play which I am really enjoying less and less) and mindful of our injuries/suspensions.

Ki - just behind Fab for me as player of the season, but go to to say (and not just today) but his season seems to be tailing off and looks increasingly tired. Not surprising really what with Asian Cup campaign too. Anyway, looks tired.

Olivieira - tried hard, but as we all know I think, a reserve striker at best. If he wasn't here next year I'd not give it a second thought.

Rangel - love the guy, but thank goodness we now have Naughton is the fairest thing to say.

Routs - how Montero (now he's fit) or Dyer can possibly be kept out of the team by him I find hard to understand

Gylfi - real fish out of water with this diamond we're playing, feel sorry for him

Shelvey - one of his more frustrating performances, but that's him as a player and he's clearly never going to change

Fab - kept us in the game til his fumble at end. The man is sheer class MOM

Others not mentioned were, ok (ish).

Worst part - Leicester weren't even very good. Theire effort/application won them that game. Poor team, still think they'll go down.

Last thought - thank God I'm not going to Newcastle! Think I'd just go for the weekend on the Toon and forget the game between 2 teams who might settle for a nil nil before the game kicks off.

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 21:09 - Apr 18 with 2601 viewsunion_jack

You made some good points but IMO let yourself down with the 'Leicester weren't that good " remark. I think they were very good and played a high octane game giving us no time on the ball whatsoever. We weren't good because they didn't allow us to be.

Leave out the churlish remarks and accept the better team, for whatever reason, won the game.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 21:20 - Apr 18 with 2554 viewsmarchamjack

Wasn't being churlish at all

In my view they were poor, are poor, will go down

They certainly weren't 'very good' as you say, in your view in fairness. They really 'wanted' it more than us and deserved to beat us today, no problems with that. But very good they ceratinly are not, even today.

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 11:03 - Apr 19 with 2093 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Can't agree about Shelvey, he put in some great passes and two good shots on goal which were saved by their keeper who played really well.
Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 11:38 - Apr 19 with 2036 viewsjruss1

Shelvey gave the ball away time after time. Either aimless long balls or 'Hollywood' passes that had no chance of working. We need to go back to 4 3 3 so we can get the best out of most creative player - Gylfi like the opening months of the season and our best winger can start. Makes no sense to stick with a diamond now.
Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 12:34 - Apr 19 with 1972 viewsMattG

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 11:38 - Apr 19 by jruss1

Shelvey gave the ball away time after time. Either aimless long balls or 'Hollywood' passes that had no chance of working. We need to go back to 4 3 3 so we can get the best out of most creative player - Gylfi like the opening months of the season and our best winger can start. Makes no sense to stick with a diamond now.

This, for me.

It would also help with the fact that, to my eyes, both Ki and Shelvey are running on empty by around the hour mark. Rotate those two and play two wingers.
Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 12:46 - Apr 19 with 1954 viewsJethroJack

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 21:20 - Apr 18 by marchamjack

Wasn't being churlish at all

In my view they were poor, are poor, will go down

They certainly weren't 'very good' as you say, in your view in fairness. They really 'wanted' it more than us and deserved to beat us today, no problems with that. But very good they ceratinly are not, even today.

Agreed...Leicester have been bottom most of season because they don't have enough premier league quality...what they did have yesterday was enthusiasm & some pace...Vardy, Allbrighton, Mayrez....but even this has been sporadic throughout the season.

On the basis that "any team can beat any team on their day in the premier league" it beats me why people get so negative when we come up short.

3 things made the difference yesterday...

1. Bafe, Kyle & Tayls missing.
2. Leicester were desperate for the points & we weren't.
3. Home advantage, they made some noise fair play.
Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 12:53 - Apr 19 with 1937 viewsStarsky

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 12:46 - Apr 19 by JethroJack

Agreed...Leicester have been bottom most of season because they don't have enough premier league quality...what they did have yesterday was enthusiasm & some pace...Vardy, Allbrighton, Mayrez....but even this has been sporadic throughout the season.

On the basis that "any team can beat any team on their day in the premier league" it beats me why people get so negative when we come up short.

3 things made the difference yesterday...

1. Bafe, Kyle & Tayls missing.
2. Leicester were desperate for the points & we weren't.
3. Home advantage, they made some noise fair play.

Hi Jethro,

Point number 2. Why weren't we?
Why did they behave like an abused wife?
Surely our players have enough Hwyl for a game this?

We play Newcastle soon. That should be even. Both teams not desperate for points.

It's just the internet, init.

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 14:49 - Apr 19 with 1838 viewsJethroJack

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 12:53 - Apr 19 by Starsky

Hi Jethro,

We play Newcastle soon. That should be even. Both teams not desperate for points.

Hi Starsky...these things are relative & usually at this level, the outcome of games are down to small margins. What do you reckon would have happened if we were bottom & they were (just) trying to beat a previous points total?

(frankly, not sure where your abused wife analogy comes from)

Using other examples, why did Wigan beat City in the Cup Final a few years back & why did Arsenal struggle to beat Reading, a poor Championship side? Is it because the Gooners have been there & done that & it was another old boring game at Wembley, so Reading were more "up for it".

Surely, that's the beauty of sport, level of performance is affected by a variety of factors.
Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:55 - Apr 19 with 1837 viewsJethroJack

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 12:53 - Apr 19 by Starsky

Hi Jethro,

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 15:12 - Apr 19 with 1810 viewsStarsky

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 14:49 - Apr 19 by JethroJack

Hi Starsky...these things are relative & usually at this level, the outcome of games are down to small margins. What do you reckon would have happened if we were bottom & they were (just) trying to beat a previous points total?

Using other examples, why did Wigan beat City in the Cup Final a few years back & why did Arsenal struggle to beat Reading, a poor Championship side? Is it because the Gooners have been there & done that & it was another old boring game at Wembley, so Reading were more "up for it".

Surely, that's the beauty of sport, level of performance is affected by a variety of factors.

My point is...

You're using analogies with Arsenal and Man City.

We're not those clubs though are we? We're different from them, miles apart.

My point was we've punched above our weight for years. We shouldn't have the attitude of the 2 clubs above. We're supposed to be the upstarts.

The media and every expert out there told us that we were going to get a beating off Leicester.

They said we would probably be 'on the beach'. Surely Garry Monk would get the team mentally prepared to match them with our own backs to the wall mentality?

However, we ignored the media warnings and took the beating anyway.

That hopefully clarifies my previous analogy.

Jethro I don't want argue with you because since you got DYSS out of your system you been one of my favourite posters on here.

I felt this way when West Ham beat Laudrups Swans and I now feel this way after getting shafted by the bottom side in the League.

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 15:30 - Apr 19 with 1790 viewsjojaca

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 15:12 - Apr 19 by Starsky

My point is...

My point was we've punched above our weight for years. We shouldn't have the attitude of the 2 clubs above. We're supposed to be the upstarts.

The media and every expert out there told us that we were going to get a beating off Leicester.

They said we would probably be 'on the beach'. Surely Garry Monk would get the team mentally prepared to match them with our own backs to the wall mentality?

Jethro I don't want argue with you because since you got DYSS out of your system you been one of my favourite posters on here.

I felt this way when West Ham beat Laudrups Swans and I now feel this way after getting shafted by the bottom side in the League.

I would like Gary Monk to have the balls to change things tactically very early when Plan A is obviously not working. He seems to wait until the hour mark, but sometimes that's to late. Learn from master, Mourinho is on the ball for full 90 minutes and would not hesitate to take a player off after 15 minutes, if tactics were drastically not working. How many managers to you see select a Zouma to just man mark Felliani for whole game stopping United's biggest threat.

Even when you know, you never know?

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 15:44 - Apr 19 with 1761 viewsdobjack2

Not going away and with highlights not giving a true reflection, away from home are we trying to keep it tight for an hour and then giving it a go in the last half hour irrespective of the opposition?
Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 16:04 - Apr 19 with 1739 viewsStarsky

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 15:44 - Apr 19 by dobjack2

Not going away and with highlights not giving a true reflection, away from home are we trying to keep it tight for an hour and then giving it a go in the last half hour irrespective of the opposition?

I thought we might change our tactics depending on the opposition and current circumstances.

Imagine if GM had told the team that Leicester we're gonna come at us either everything they've got.

I mean, what would happen if we countered that with us going after them with everything we had?

I'm sure we'd have come out of it with our heads held high.

I wasn't looking for a result here. I was looking for some Hwyl and passion.

Not indifference. I don't think the post match interview helped me either.

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 16:46 - Apr 19 with 1703 viewsDull1Thomas

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 16:04 - Apr 19 by Starsky

I thought we might change our tactics depending on the opposition and current circumstances.

Imagine if GM had told the team that Leicester we're gonna come at us either everything they've got.

I mean, what would happen if we countered that with us going after them with everything we had?

I'm sure we'd have come out of it with our heads held high.

I wasn't looking for a result here. I was looking for some Hwyl and passion.

Not indifference. I don't think the post match interview helped me either.

Some interesting points and counter points made - nice to see a debate about opinions and not a slanging match. For me the problem yesterday was one we've had all season lack of ambition to win. OK I know all the stats about our results etc - but we have spent much of the season trying not to lose rather than trying to win and have spent many hours defending a one goal lead or even a 0 - 0 before being stung in to action.
Leicester are a powder puff team but gave them the ball and said attack us we're happy to hoof & hope (I like that description). By the time we started getting the ball down and passing it through them it was too late.
The formation was wrong from the start. Having seen Leister in the last few weeks there was only one way they would play - all out attack mainly through the middle but with plenty of energy to defend. So, break up the attacks high up the push (Leon & Cork in from tot the back four)
then pass and pass and pass (frustrate them) but we didm;t have the formation and we have lost the ability to keep possession.
The team for me didm't seem to know what was expected of them & a bottom of the league team with the worst home record bossed us and outplayed us like we were a League of Wales outfit. A weak performance even by the stander dog some our previous games this season. We really were lucky they were so poor in front of goal or it could have been 6.
Fab - weak in hos 6yard box, clearances & distribution
Rangel - did well for me (goal 1 could do little as he was blocked by a LC player and barged by Cork)
Fed & Ash OK
Amat - like a fish out of water, wrong position & wrong side - a poor decision by Monk IMO
Cork - out of position far too often and got skinned too often
Shelvey - saying nothing I wouldn't have him carrying the water let alone play
Ki - covering for Amat and Shelvey no wonder he blew up after 55 / 60 minutes but I would have kept him on.
Siggy - another weak performance
Routledge - MoM for me as he was trying, with almost no support, to make things happen
(Ki, Shelvey, Routedge, Siggy, Nelson & to an extent Cork seemed to have been given a 'free range' brief - they had no shape from the off)
Oliveira - I'm not sure what he cold have done with no supply and no support. While I don't think he's going to be with us long I would condemn him on yesterday's game.
Montergo showed a bit of class and Emnes and Dyer failed to make an impact.
Poor all round.

As it was only the week before last Ash was hailing the squad as the best ever I am starting to worry about next season. Quite a few clubs have paid us more respect than we deserve but will take note of our performances against Leicester, Stoke West Ham etc, teams that press us, and they will see we have no answer. The much hailed plan B diamond shape seems to be used to accommodate petulant players rather than as a tactical ploy.
Yesterday we were only without a striker who has been thoroughly castigated until a couple of weeks ago and a left back who blows hot and cold - yet we were unable to cover this two positions..
As it stands, outside our first 14 there is no one who can come in as cover.
As has been said above had a Laudrup team performed like that many would have asked for his head on a plate. At one point when we were mid table, in the FA Cup and doing well in the Europa Cup Laudrup had 9 players unavailable.

Sorry for the ramble but I really am despondent.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins step down?

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 17:11 - Apr 19 with 1666 viewsunion_jack

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 14:49 - Apr 19 by JethroJack

I am genuinely dumbfounded that people cannot comprehend this. I truly am!!!

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 17:14 - Apr 19 with 1659 viewsDarran

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 17:11 - Apr 19 by union_jack

I am genuinely dumbfounded that people cannot comprehend this. I truly am!!!

Me too and if anyone wants to bet me there won't be similar kinds of results at the arse end of next season I'm open to offers.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 17:24 - Apr 19 with 1649 viewsEdmundo

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 16:46 - Apr 19 by Dull1Thomas

Some interesting points and counter points made - nice to see a debate about opinions and not a slanging match. For me the problem yesterday was one we've had all season lack of ambition to win. OK I know all the stats about our results etc - but we have spent much of the season trying not to lose rather than trying to win and have spent many hours defending a one goal lead or even a 0 - 0 before being stung in to action.
Leicester are a powder puff team but gave them the ball and said attack us we're happy to hoof & hope (I like that description). By the time we started getting the ball down and passing it through them it was too late.
The formation was wrong from the start. Having seen Leister in the last few weeks there was only one way they would play - all out attack mainly through the middle but with plenty of energy to defend. So, break up the attacks high up the push (Leon & Cork in from tot the back four)
then pass and pass and pass (frustrate them) but we didm;t have the formation and we have lost the ability to keep possession.
The team for me didm't seem to know what was expected of them & a bottom of the league team with the worst home record bossed us and outplayed us like we were a League of Wales outfit. A weak performance even by the stander dog some our previous games this season. We really were lucky they were so poor in front of goal or it could have been 6.
Rangel - did well for me (goal 1 could do little as he was blocked by a LC player and barged by Cork)
Fed & Ash OK
Amat - like a fish out of water, wrong position & wrong side - a poor decision by Monk IMO
Ki - covering for Amat and Shelvey no wonder he blew up after 55 / 60 minutes but I would have kept him on.
Routledge - MoM for me as he was trying, with almost no support, to make things happen
(Ki, Shelvey, Routedge, Siggy, Nelson & to an extent Cork seemed to have been given a 'free range' brief - they had no shape from the off)
Oliveira - I'm not sure what he cold have done with no supply and no support. While I don't think he's going to be with us long I would condemn him on yesterday's game.
Poor all round.

As it was only the week before last Ash was hailing the squad as the best ever I am starting to worry about next season. Quite a few clubs have paid us more respect than we deserve but will take note of our performances against Leicester, Stoke West Ham etc, teams that press us, and they will see we have no answer. The much hailed plan B diamond shape seems to be used to accommodate petulant players rather than as a tactical ploy.
Yesterday we were only without a striker who has been thoroughly castigated until a couple of weeks ago and a left back who blows hot and cold - yet we were unable to cover this two positions..
As has been said above had a Laudrup team performed like that many would have asked for his head on a plate. At one point when we were mid table, in the FA Cup and doing well in the Europa Cup Laudrup had 9 players unavailable.

You should try following Kairdiff dull1, sure that would make the most negative supporter despondent about the future 👍

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 17:26 - Apr 19 with 1645 viewsunion_jack

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 17:14 - Apr 19 by Darran

Me too and if anyone wants to bet me there won't be similar kinds of results at the arse end of next season I'm open to offers.

I think we could clean up on here Dar!

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 18:55 - Apr 19 with 1574 viewsJethroJack

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 15:12 - Apr 19 by Starsky

My point is...

I understand why you're upset, Starsky, I wasn't too happy either driving home from the KP. But I tend not to get too carried away game to game, because the outcome of each one is influenced by loads of factors. I'm sure GM did his best to fire up the boys, but that's no guarantee it'll work.

Judging by some of the over-reaction on here after a defeat, you'd think the team can't be arsed if they win, lose or draw.
Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 19:18 - Apr 19 with 1532 viewsraynor94

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 16:46 - Apr 19 by Dull1Thomas

Fed & Ash OK
Poor all round.

How on earth can you be despondent? you told me last week you were 60 years of age, you must have been suicidal in the seventies, we have just lost a game to a team who desperately needed the points more than us, sorry but you are a tad ott

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 19:30 - Apr 19 with 1510 viewsScoobyWho

Up one week, down the next, welcome to the life long journey of a jack.
If people are finding this era disappointing, it's probably time to find another way of getting a rush.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 20:53 - Apr 19 with 1418 viewsfootball2301

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 11:38 - Apr 19 by jruss1

prick
Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 20:54 - Apr 19 with 1415 viewsfootball2301

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 12:34 - Apr 19 by MattG

This, for me.

It would also help with the fact that, to my eyes, both Ki and Shelvey are running on empty by around the hour mark. Rotate those two and play two wingers.

another prick
Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 20:55 - Apr 19 with 1409 viewsfootball2301

Fed & Ash OK
Poor all round.

you really are a prick
Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 21:03 - Apr 19 with 1386 viewsmonmouth

Ki and other thoughts from today having just got back on 20:55 - Apr 19 by football2301

you really are a prick

I'm liking your work these days, in substance if not in style.

FWIW I think Shelves can be our go to man; he is the only one in our midfield that looks like he can make something happen. I wish he'd do some more direct running with the ball actually. You can see defenders panicking and it opens up space. Anyone who would pick Sigurdsson before him at the moment is, IMHO, barking at the moon.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024