Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nelson Oliveira 17:44 - Apr 25 with 8980 viewsDafyddHuw

Not only did he score, but lovely dummy run across goal to give Gylfi room to score, and excellent assist for Jack Cork's goal.

Too late though, I'm afraid.
Nelson Oliveira on 16:23 - Apr 26 with 2111 viewsDavillin

Nelson Oliveira on 09:27 - Apr 26 by SwansNZ

Dav will be along to give some stats to prove Jonjo is a liability.

Your obsession is not charming. You talk about my proving him a liability far more often than I do.

Lay off. Find someone else to stalk and provoke.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Nelson Oliveira on 16:39 - Apr 26 with 2093 viewsswancity

Nelson Oliveira on 16:23 - Apr 26 by Davillin

Your obsession is not charming. You talk about my proving him a liability far more often than I do.

Lay off. Find someone else to stalk and provoke.

But he Is right you boring old fart

We all know that stats have limited use but you seem to make a career out of it

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Nelson Oliveira on 00:34 - Apr 27 with 1945 viewsdameedna

Nelson Oliveira on 09:16 - Apr 26 by monmouth

Looked a serious class act to me. Whatever Monk has done has worked there by the look of it. JJS could have a massive season next year I think.

JJS ball retention and tackling is superb, passing is sublime, along with Williams we have two long ball passers. Williams pass to Dyer that lead to the first goal and is one of the best passes I have seen this season and we need a couple of players with this ability.
Olivera scored a good strikers goal and also made one for Siggy after the tackle by Shelvey via Montero. Stood his ground on the penalty spot and did a lot of running down the channels. Newcastle were a bit unusual, for years we have lacked height.
Let's see how he goes next game. Could get keen for a place.
Nelson Oliveira on 10:02 - Apr 27 with 1873 viewsDull1Thomas

Nelson Oliveira on 00:34 - Apr 27 by dameedna

JJS ball retention and tackling is superb, passing is sublime, along with Williams we have two long ball passers. Williams pass to Dyer that lead to the first goal and is one of the best passes I have seen this season and we need a couple of players with this ability.
Olivera scored a good strikers goal and also made one for Siggy after the tackle by Shelvey via Montero. Stood his ground on the penalty spot and did a lot of running down the channels. Newcastle were a bit unusual, for years we have lacked height.
Let's see how he goes next game. Could get keen for a place.

I think we all see what we want to see in Jonjo.
For example, he has been credited (by some) with stunning tackles that won the ball leading up to goals; as opposed to him winning the ball, which was his all day long, but his slowness of body and mind allowed Newcastle players half a chance of getting to them. The passes he gave following each incident were short, quick and to a player in space - exactly what was required but not what he has been doing all season. Yesterday he was solid and a team player who maintained his position and discipline in a formation that suits the team looking to win a game. He didn't roam, so players around him weren't crowded out, which led to more room to stretch the opposition. Too many games have drifted by us when Siggy or Ki have had to cover Jonjo when he's gone walkabout and can't / won't get back to his position; it was noticeable yesterday that Siggy had a good game. I have no problem with him in that situation, but he needs to maintain that degree of discipline.
However, it seems to me Monk has been trying to keep Jonjo 'on-side' by letting him think he can play like Steven Gerard ... he can't.
Shelvey (in a diamond formation) is given freedom to roam but usually ends up frustrating himself, his team mates and a large section of the crowd; he wanders around, tries impossible passes through opposition players and his long balls are rarely accurate and are hit far too often - teams are expecting him to play that ball and move an extra player wide to double up on wingers, his tackling is weak, heading almost non-existent.
For many his occasional good pass and increasingly rarer good shot are enough to give legendary status for me he can be an asset but is more often a liability.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins step down?

Nelson Oliveira on 11:32 - Apr 27 with 1847 viewsJackSomething

Nelson Oliveira on 10:02 - Apr 27 by Dull1Thomas

For example, he has been credited (by some) with stunning tackles that won the ball leading up to goals; as opposed to him winning the ball, which was his all day long, but his slowness of body and mind allowed Newcastle players half a chance of getting to them. The passes he gave following each incident were short, quick and to a player in space - exactly what was required but not what he has been doing all season. Yesterday he was solid and a team player who maintained his position and discipline in a formation that suits the team looking to win a game. He didn't roam, so players around him weren't crowded out, which led to more room to stretch the opposition. Too many games have drifted by us when Siggy or Ki have had to cover Jonjo when he's gone walkabout and can't / won't get back to his position; it was noticeable yesterday that Siggy had a good game. I have no problem with him in that situation, but he needs to maintain that degree of discipline.
However, it seems to me Monk has been trying to keep Jonjo 'on-side' by letting him think he can play like Steven Gerard ... he can't.
Shelvey (in a diamond formation) is given freedom to roam but usually ends up frustrating himself, his team mates and a large section of the crowd; he wanders around, tries impossible passes through opposition players and his long balls are rarely accurate and are hit far too often - teams are expecting him to play that ball and move an extra player wide to double up on wingers, his tackling is weak, heading almost non-existent.
For many his occasional good pass and increasingly rarer good shot are enough to give legendary status for me he can be an asset but is more often a liability.

Everything you wrote there is evidence that you were correct in your first sentence.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Nelson Oliveira on 14:55 - Apr 27 with 1767 viewsDavillin

Nelson Oliveira on 10:02 - Apr 27 by Dull1Thomas

Now you're in for it!

First will come the name-calling, then the aspersions on your football knowledge. Never a post like yours with sound reasons for your viewpoint.

Welcome to the domain of the foolhardy and the brave.

[p.s. You're dead right.]

Nelson Oliveira on 18:23 - Apr 27 with 1693 viewsStarsky

Nelson Oliveira on 14:55 - Apr 27 by Davillin

Now you're in for it!

First will come the name-calling, then the aspersions on your football knowledge. Never a post like yours with sound reasons for your viewpoint.

He's not right at all. He just agrees with your opinion about Shelvey.
Which I totally disagree with.
I'm not dead right either.

It's just the internet, init.

Nelson Oliveira on 18:29 - Apr 27 with 1680 viewsperchrockjack

Swancity now I remember.

Boring a much misused word.and dav ain't.

Feck, some Chung called me that once

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Login to get fewer ads

Nelson Oliveira on 18:47 - Apr 27 with 1660 viewsJackSomething

Now you're in for it!

To complete the comparison, you have to ignore the posts that politely point out all the reasons that you're wrong. Oh, and deny that a brilliant goal from the halfway line was any good because you're so irrational about JJS.

Nelson Oliveira on 18:53 - Apr 27 with 1654 viewsWxmJax

Nelson Oliveira on 17:59 - Apr 25 by Tummer_from_Texas

Any guesses what Benefica's price tag would be?

probably around £1m

I don't think they could afford to give us any more than that.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Nelson Oliveira on 20:13 - Apr 27 with 1617 viewsDull1Thomas

Nelson Oliveira on 18:53 - Apr 27 by WxmJax

probably around £1m

I don't think they could afford to give us any more than that.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nelson-oliveira/profil/spieler/72768

£3.5 mn

This site is usually light too. Something in the back of my mind recalls £6 mn being mentioned by Benfica for a mvd to another club (Deportivo but might be wrong about that though).

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins step down?

Nelson Oliveira on 21:41 - Apr 27 with 1585 viewsDavillin

Nelson Oliveira on 18:47 - Apr 27 by JackSomething

To complete the comparison, you have to ignore the posts that politely point out all the reasons that you're wrong. Oh, and deny that a brilliant goal from the halfway line was any good because you're so irrational about JJS.

The last thing you could ever call me -- if you knew me in the least -- is irrational.

That "brilliant goal from the halfway line" was pure luck. How many other similar long shots has he made and missed, some by a country mile? I haven't counted -- won't waste my time and energy trying to try to convince the JJS-lovers -- at least 20? 25? All wasteful and all giving away possession, as is his way.

I haven't seen a single post that "point out all the reasons that I'm wrong" about Shelvey, They're mostly insults and name-calling, with a few pure falsehoods thrown in. Someone called him Swansea's "best passer," for example. I can't remember all of them, and don't want to.

Find someone else to haunt and stalk.

Nelson Oliveira on 22:09 - Apr 27 with 1555 viewsJackSomething

Nelson Oliveira on 21:41 - Apr 27 by Davillin

The last thing you could ever call me -- if you knew me in the least -- is irrational.

That "brilliant goal from the halfway line" was pure luck. How many other similar long shots has he made and missed, some by a country mile? I haven't counted -- won't waste my time and energy trying to try to convince the JJS-lovers -- at least 20? 25? All wasteful and all giving away possession, as is his way.

I haven't seen a single post that "point out all the reasons that I'm wrong" about Shelvey, They're mostly insults and name-calling, with a few pure falsehoods thrown in. Someone called him Swansea's "best passer," for example. I can't remember all of them, and don't want to.

If you call rebuttals to your regular and unwarranted criticism of one of our players stalking, then guilty as charged.

He hasn't tried shots like that many times at all and calling a finish of that precision lucky illustrates your lack of understanding of the sport. In my opinion of course.

I've made quite a few posts spelling out why I think you're wrong about Shelvey, all without name-calling if I remember correctly. Strangely you always seem to leave the thread/forum at that point. Coincidence I'm sure.

Out of curiosity, did you consider Trundle's lob against Yeovil to be lucky?

Nelson Oliveira on 03:11 - Apr 28 with 1503 viewsdameedna

Now you're in for it!

Slowness of body and mind? Shelvey? He was virtually strolling around the Newcastle midfield whilst keeping the ball.
Nelson Oliveira on 06:39 - Apr 28 with 1484 viewsDr_Winston

Nelson Oliveira on 21:41 - Apr 27 by Davillin

You don't like being challenged much do you? That response was very Perchyesque.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Nelson Oliveira on 09:04 - Apr 28 with 1414 viewsSwansNZ

Nelson Oliveira on 06:39 - Apr 28 by Dr_Winston

You don't like being challenged much do you? That response was very Perchyesque.

Oh no, not another stalker

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Nelson Oliveira on 13:22 - Apr 28 with 1355 viewsDavillin

Nelson Oliveira on 22:09 - Apr 27 by JackSomething

If you call rebuttals to your regular and unwarranted criticism of one of our players stalking, then guilty as charged.

He hasn't tried shots like that many times at all and calling a finish of that precision lucky illustrates your lack of understanding of the sport. In my opinion of course.

I've made quite a few posts spelling out why I think you're wrong about Shelvey, all without name-calling if I remember correctly. Strangely you always seem to leave the thread/forum at that point. Coincidence I'm sure.

Out of curiosity, did you consider Trundle's lob against Yeovil to be lucky?

Not at all a coincidence, nor an admission of "defeat."

I leave the thread when I have said what I have to say and see no point in continuing back-and-forth posting of the same opinions - any other poster's and mine.

I can't remember Trundle's lob against Yeovil, sorry. Nor can I remember virtually every goal ever made for very long after the final whistle. Pratley's shot from the half-line into an empty net is the only exception I can think of. Don't remember the opponent. And I'm happy to have that characteristic, by the way, and would be happier still if no-one ever brought up Shelvey's "wonder goal" again so I don't have to repeat myself. Perhaps that's my introduction to the special room in Hell reserved for me.

Nelson Oliveira on 13:56 - Apr 28 with 1334 viewsJackSomething

Nelson Oliveira on 13:22 - Apr 28 by Davillin

Not at all a coincidence, nor an admission of "defeat."

I leave the thread when I have said what I have to say and see no point in continuing back-and-forth posting of the same opinions - any other poster's and mine.

I can't remember Trundle's lob against Yeovil, sorry. Nor can I remember virtually every goal ever made for very long after the final whistle. Pratley's shot from the half-line into an empty net is the only exception I can think of. Don't remember the opponent. And I'm happy to have that characteristic, by the way, and would be happier still if no-one ever brought up Shelvey's "wonder goal" again so I don't have to repeat myself. Perhaps that's my introduction to the special room in Hell reserved for me.

Fair enough.

Although I can't promise not to mention the wonder goal next time someone is (in my opinion) over-critical of Shelvey...

Perhaps we should just be happy Shelvey's number one fan hasn't seen this thread and called you a c*nt as he usually does.

Nelson Oliveira on 17:27 - Apr 28 with 1263 viewsDr_Winston

Nelson Oliveira on 09:04 - Apr 28 by SwansNZ

Oh no, not another stalker

Dav's a decent enough sort but tries to apply the same level of statistical analysis that the main American sports lend themselves to to football. Stats can play a part, but the game is about more than that.

Statistically a player like Shelvey probably doesn't look all that good if you're taking it all into consideration (tackles won, passes completed and all such) but ultimately only the goals scored and created count for a player like him.

And when you get right down to it, even they don't cover the moments of genius, and it has to be said, occasional madness that Shelvey provides. The moneyball approach doesn't work in this game.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Nelson Oliveira on 18:36 - Apr 28 with 1223 viewsDavillin

Nelson Oliveira on 17:27 - Apr 28 by Dr_Winston

Dav's a decent enough sort but tries to apply the same level of statistical analysis that the main American sports lend themselves to to football. Stats can play a part, but the game is about more than that.

Statistically a player like Shelvey probably doesn't look all that good if you're taking it all into consideration (tackles won, passes completed and all such) but ultimately only the goals scored and created count for a player like him.

And when you get right down to it, even they don't cover the moments of genius, and it has to be said, occasional madness that Shelvey provides. The moneyball approach doesn't work in this game.

Thank you for your kind words. It's what I would expect from you.

One comment and two questions:

I remember when I first started posting my pitifully mild "stats," I was met with the objection that stats "don't apply" [my lwords] to football; and at the time, mine were virtually the only ones about. Now, however, stats on British football have exploded in number and kind, and are everywhere, including a number of dedicated websites. "Forward-looking managers" are even using them in their work. As I understand it, those "man-bras" we see our players wear in training are gathering stats. Either that, or they're all in trans-gender corrections [Lord, I hope not].

Do you think it's a worthwhile "stat" to compare "goals scored and created" with certain "negatives," such as giving away possession in several forms, failure to receive passes directed to a player, etc., or do they stand on their own?

What is "the moneyball approach," please? Usual cross-Atlantic synaptic lapse, I suspect.

Nelson Oliveira on 18:53 - Apr 28 with 1206 viewsDr_Winston

His misplaced passes bother me a lot less than the unnecessary disciplinary issues, which he's clearly trying to rectify.

Shelvey's a risk taker. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Given the conservative style of our play over recent months I'm not going to condemn a player with a penchant for trying to create chances. If he gives the ball away five times and creates a goal with the sixth then it's worth it.

I remain convinced that he's a Number 10 or nothing.

Nelson Oliveira on 19:14 - Apr 28 with 1179 viewsUxbridge

Nelson Oliveira on 20:13 - Apr 27 by Dull1Thomas

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nelson-oliveira/profil/spieler/72768

£3.5 mn

This site is usually light too. Something in the back of my mind recalls £6 mn being mentioned by Benfica for a mvd to another club (Deportivo but might be wrong about that though).

If the figure I heard is correct, and I rather suspect it is, that is very light and will lead to any permanent deal being absolutely no go.

I quite like the kid in a third choice backup kind of way. He's a way upgraded version of Shechter really.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024