Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
English / Welsh bilingual signs 20:02 - Apr 26 with 8809 viewsDarran

These two have made me smile everyday for a month.
What a load of shite.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 19:05 - Apr 27 with 1154 viewsHumpty

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 07:25 - Apr 27 by Andy1300

What is the point when half the time there isn't a welsh alternative word.

English works fine and it will stop a lot of confusion at busy motorway junctions etc

Not to mention having everything sent out in duplicate from DVLA etc.

When I called the DVLA to opt out of the welsh version I was told to speak to that lot in Cardiff bay.

I emailed them, stating the case that in these times of austerity, it would save us, the welsh tax payer money by only having 1 of something sent to me instead of 2, the reply I got was more or less, tough, you will keep getting 2 , just put the Welsh one in the bin.

Well done to all those fighting for the Welsh language to be imposed on us non welsh speaking majority
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 7:28]

I always cope quite well at motorway junctions despite some welsh words on the signs.

Maybe it's you.
English / Welsh bilingual signs on 19:05 - Apr 27 with 1154 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Question from a foreigner:

Does anyone know of any Welsh folks (presumably from somewhere like a remote part of Gwynedd) who don't speak English, or are limited at it?

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 19:10 - Apr 27 with 1141 viewsperchrockjack

Some parts of Wales were like rural Kentucky.

Very very few didn't know any Welsh.

My aunt spoke only Welsh until she went to senior school.

Florida will be bilingual soon

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 19:14 - Apr 27 with 1135 viewsTummer_from_Texas

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 19:10 - Apr 27 by perchrockjack

Some parts of Wales were like rural Kentucky.

Very very few didn't know any Welsh.

My aunt spoke only Welsh until she went to senior school.

Florida will be bilingual soon

But they all speak English too in rural Wales, right? Or are some at all limited at it?

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 19:17 - Apr 27 with 1126 viewsNeiltheTaylor

When I was a kid, you'd hear of odd places way out west where there would be some old lady who only spoke welsh when she went to hospital etc. bit like Cajun in Louisiana.

Not so much now though.

Like someone else said further up, now there is multi lingual signs and translations everywhere in the U.S. And UK these days for different reasons! So the people who slag our native tongue while Bangladeshi translated tax forms are required, or the option to have a Spanish speaker on a phone enquiry etc. these days are mind boggling.

When you go, you'll probably find it pretty endearing. It's home.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 19:23]

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 19:32 - Apr 27 with 1112 viewsTummer_from_Texas

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 19:17 - Apr 27 by NeiltheTaylor

When I was a kid, you'd hear of odd places way out west where there would be some old lady who only spoke welsh when she went to hospital etc. bit like Cajun in Louisiana.

Not so much now though.

Like someone else said further up, now there is multi lingual signs and translations everywhere in the U.S. And UK these days for different reasons! So the people who slag our native tongue while Bangladeshi translated tax forms are required, or the option to have a Spanish speaker on a phone enquiry etc. these days are mind boggling.

Thanks - yes, it's one of the things I'm looking forward to experiencing when I come visit.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 19:41]

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:39 - Apr 27 with 1065 viewsunion_jack

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 19:17 - Apr 27 by NeiltheTaylor

Not so much now though.

The thing is that some Bangkadeshis or Spanish don't speak English hence why they need translation. Whether that is right or wrong is another argument.

I don't think there is anyone from Wales who does not speak Englush.

I get infuriated with bilingual letters. If I want it in Welsh, I'll askfor it in Welsh. Don't waste my money!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:41 - Apr 27 with 1063 viewsunion_jack

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 08:28 - Apr 27 by yescomeon

I'm a non-welsh speaker but I am glad to see it there. Always shows me I am home and I feel instantly more comfortable when the signs are again bilingual. The survival of the Welsh language is a bloody miracle and should be celebrated and shown off.

It's not a bloody miracle though is it?

You could keep a brain dead person 'alive' for ever on artificial respiration. That's how Welsh has survived. Propped up and forced down throats by politics and funding.

Natural selection would show us all how wanted it is.

Login to get fewer ads

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:49 - Apr 27 with 1056 viewsAndy1300

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:39 - Apr 27 by union_jack

The thing is that some Bangkadeshis or Spanish don't speak English hence why they need translation. Whether that is right or wrong is another argument.

I get infuriated with bilingual letters. If I want it in Welsh, I'll askfor it in Welsh. Don't waste my money!

Glad I'm not alone in this waste of time and money.

Almost every welsh person can speak and read English, a minority can speak and read Welsh.

I don't struggle at junctions by the way but a lot of people who are not welsh do.

Signs are over complicated with welsh and English.

Govt paperwork should be in English unless requested otherwise, think of how much paper and money would be saved just by doing that
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 22:50]

Number 1 team in Wales

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:49 - Apr 27 with 1054 viewslifelong

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:39 - Apr 27 by union_jack

if you don't want it in Welsh move to England.
English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:52 - Apr 27 with 1043 viewsunion_jack

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:49 - Apr 27 by lifelong

Really? Is that the best you can come up with? Really?

It's a waste of money and it is confusing, especially at road signs. Tail WAGging dog.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 22:52]

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:52 - Apr 27 with 1042 viewsAndy1300

Why though?

Give people the choice.

I am proud to be Welsh but have no inclination to speak Welsh.

I get on quite well without it.

Number 1 team in Wales

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:53 - Apr 27 with 1037 viewsDarran

He does have a bit of a point though,councils are in their arses and they're sending everyone two letters when one in English will suffice.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 22:59]

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:54 - Apr 27 with 1034 viewsAndy1300

Going back to the original post .

Look at the signs in the photos and tell me they are not pathetic and a waste of money

It's the same in both languages, what's the point in that?

Number 1 team in Wales

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:55 - Apr 27 with 1029 viewslifelong

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:52 - Apr 27 by Andy1300

Why though?

Give people the choice.

I am proud to be Welsh but have no inclination to speak Welsh.

I get on quite well without it.

You're proud to be Welsh yet you insult the national language that has been used on these Islands for centuries.
English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:56 - Apr 27 with 965 viewsunion_jack

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:53 - Apr 27 by Darran

He does have a bit of a point though,councils are in their arses and they're sending everyone two letters when one in English will suffice.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 22:59]

I hear it's the same in Italy with pressure on the Roman City Council to send everything out in Italian and Latin!!!

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:59 - Apr 27 with 950 viewsAndy1300

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:55 - Apr 27 by lifelong

You're proud to be Welsh yet you insult the national language that has been used on these Islands for centuries.

Yes I am but having been brought up in an English speaking community I am not bothered about speaking welsh.

Why do they have to announce everything in welsh at the football and rugby matches?

Everybody will understand the English version

Number 1 team in Wales

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:06 - Apr 27 with 938 viewslifelong

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:54 - Apr 27 by Andy1300

Going back to the original post .

Look at the signs in the photos and tell me they are not pathetic and a waste of money

It's the same in both languages, what's the point in that?

Yes, I will concede that, but, I, unlike some people on this site, would hate to see the Welsh language die out.

I have spent some time in some public service premises in Cities such as London, Bradford and Leicester and in some of them you don't just get two separate choices of languages but 5 or 6.

In London there are 1.7 million people who don't use English as their first language with many thousands of them unable to speak it at all.
English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:10 - Apr 27 with 929 viewsunion_jack

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:06 - Apr 27 by lifelong

Yes, I will concede that, but, I, unlike some people on this site, would hate to see the Welsh language die out.

I have spent some time in some public service premises in Cities such as London, Bradford and Leicester and in some of them you don't just get two separate choices of languages but 5 or 6.

In London there are 1.7 million people who don't use English as their first language with many thousands of them unable to speak it at all.

Hence, possibly, the need for translation.

That is not the case in Wales. Everyone bar none speaks Englush.

I have no problem with Welsh being spoken but I have an enormous problem with the social engineering going on at political level to appease the minority.

As I said earlier, leave it be and see what happens.

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:15 - Apr 27 with 911 viewsAndy1300

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:10 - Apr 27 by union_jack

Hence, possibly, the need for translation.

That is not the case in Wales. Everyone bar none speaks Englush.

I have no problem with Welsh being spoken but I have an enormous problem with the social engineering going on at political level to appease the minority.

As I said earlier, leave it be and see what happens.

Exactly

Number 1 team in Wales

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:18 - Apr 27 with 904 viewsAndy1300

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:06 - Apr 27 by lifelong

I have not said that I want to see the language die out.

My gripe is with having everything in both languages at the extra cost.

We don't "need" it in both languages

Let people choose the language in which they want to correspond

Number 1 team in Wales

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:22 - Apr 27 with 898 viewsEvanski

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 19:14 - Apr 27 by Tummer_from_Texas

But they all speak English too in rural Wales, right? Or are some at all limited at it?

You'll still find the occasional Welsh monoglot on the western fringes of Wales. Typically these will be well advanced in age. As recently as the 70s (maybe even the 80s) there were vast swathes of west and north Wales where 90+ % of residents were first language Welsh speakers, and people simply weren't exposed to the English language on a regular basis. My other half is from Gwynedd (the north western extremity of Wales) and her written English is bloody atrocious! I recommend that you visit Gwynedd when you come over, stunningly beautiful part of the world.

Andy - Welsh being 'imposed' on you is just phucking priceless. You do realise that you're in Wales yeah? And you do realise that Welsh is centuries older than English? Don't you think that perhaps English has been, and is being imposed on us? Who knows, maybe in 50 years or so people will be wondering why English letters are being sent to everyone when everyone speaks Urdu. That said, I do agree that sending bilingual letters to you when you've requested English only is just daft.

Jacs y Canolbarth - Cangen Aberystwyth / Mid Wales Jacks - Aberystwyth Branch

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:23 - Apr 27 with 897 viewslifelong

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:18 - Apr 27 by Andy1300

I have not said that I want to see the language die out.

My gripe is with having everything in both languages at the extra cost.

We don't "need" it in both languages

Let people choose the language in which they want to correspond

We could reduce the cost and have everything in Welsh.
English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:30 - Apr 27 with 894 viewsKilkennyjack

Its pretty moronic to say we have no money when we choose to spend £100 billion on Trident renewal. Its a choice - and some would choose the welsh language, the nhs, our conventional forces, scrap bedroom tax, have fair funding for wales, and/or scrap student loans. Also save more money by scrapping the out of date house of lords. Don't fall for the old 'divide and conquer' bollox. One Cymru.

Beware of the Risen People

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:46 - Apr 27 with 875 viewsAndy1300

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:22 - Apr 27 by Evanski

You'll still find the occasional Welsh monoglot on the western fringes of Wales. Typically these will be well advanced in age. As recently as the 70s (maybe even the 80s) there were vast swathes of west and north Wales where 90+ % of residents were first language Welsh speakers, and people simply weren't exposed to the English language on a regular basis. My other half is from Gwynedd (the north western extremity of Wales) and her written English is bloody atrocious! I recommend that you visit Gwynedd when you come over, stunningly beautiful part of the world.

Andy - Welsh being 'imposed' on you is just phucking priceless. You do realise that you're in Wales yeah? And you do realise that Welsh is centuries older than English? Don't you think that perhaps English has been, and is being imposed on us? Who knows, maybe in 50 years or so people will be wondering why English letters are being sent to everyone when everyone speaks Urdu. That said, I do agree that sending bilingual letters to you when you've requested English only is just daft.

Yes I do, I also realise that we can all speak English too.

As I have said, I have no desire to see welsh disappear, just give people the choice and save a heap of money in the process

Road signs need to be clear and having them in both languages is just cluttering them up

Number 1 team in Wales

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024