Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
English / Welsh bilingual signs 20:02 - Apr 26 with 8829 viewsDarran

These two have made me smile everyday for a month.
What a load of shite.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:47 - Apr 27 with 1323 viewsAndy1300

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:23 - Apr 27 by lifelong

We could reduce the cost and have everything in Welsh.

Could do but majority wouldn't understand it

Number 1 team in Wales

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:49 - Apr 27 with 1315 viewsBanosswan

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:59 - Apr 27 by Andy1300

Yes I am but having been brought up in an English speaking community I am not bothered about speaking welsh.

Why do they have to announce everything in welsh at the football and rugby matches?

Everybody will understand the English version

What English speaking community?

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:49 - Apr 27 with 1315 viewsAndy1300

Not only do councils waste money on bilingual signs, they don't get the translation checked either, causing the signs to be scrapped and new ones ordered at even more cost to us tax payers.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 23:51]

Number 1 team in Wales

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:50 - Apr 27 with 1309 viewsAndy1300

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:49 - Apr 27 by Banosswan

What English speaking community?

Gendros.

I went to Gendros and Penlan schools where I was taught in English

I only knew 1 person that spoke Welsh and he went on a bus to a Welsh school.

He couldn't speak to any of us in Welsh as none of us could understand a word
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 23:52]

Number 1 team in Wales

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:52 - Apr 27 with 1306 viewsBanosswan

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:50 - Apr 27 by Andy1300

Gendros.

I went to Gendros and Penlan schools where I was taught in English

I only knew 1 person that spoke Welsh and he went on a bus to a Welsh school.

He couldn't speak to any of us in Welsh as none of us could understand a word
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 23:52]

Penlan school which is now a Welsh school?

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:54 - Apr 27 with 1300 viewsAndy1300

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:52 - Apr 27 by Banosswan

Penlan school which is now a Welsh school?

A new school.

There are more welsh schools around now due to pressure and funding

That wasn't the case 40 or so years ago.

It wouldn't be the case now as union Jack has stated

Number 1 team in Wales

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:56 - Apr 27 with 1287 viewsBanosswan

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:54 - Apr 27 by Andy1300

A new school.

Sounds like a conspiracy to me.

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 01:16 - Apr 28 with 1243 viewsEvanski

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:46 - Apr 27 by Andy1300

Yes I do, I also realise that we can all speak English too.

As I have said, I have no desire to see welsh disappear, just give people the choice and save a heap of money in the process

Road signs need to be clear and having them in both languages is just cluttering them up

But the whole point of bilingualism is giving people choice. Many people in Wales choose to have their services in Welsh. There are many people in Wales who hardly use English because they're first language Welsh speakers and live in communities where the majority use Welsh in their day to day lives. Many of them don't feel confident using English - why should they be disadvantaged by having to use English when they don't feel comfortable doing so. As you say, it's all about choice.

I'm not for one moment suggesting that if you don't speak Welsh you automatically want the language to die, I'm just trying to get across the fact that in many communities Welsh is very much a living language, and must be given parity with English. For my part, I not only want the language to survive because it's my first language, but because it's what makes us different, it's the basis of our culture and identity. I wish more people had the opportunity to appreciate the poetry of greats like Dafydd ap Gwilym, Iolo Goch, Guto'r Glyn etc, poets who deserve international recognition up there with Donne, Shakespeare, Keats etc, but never will when not even a majority of people in the very country that they were from can read their works.

I'm not having a dig here mate, each to their own, but your road signage point is just ridiculous. There are many countries and regions in the world (Flanders, Ireland and Quebec to name just three) where there are bilingual signs without people feeling that cluttering is an issue.

Jacs y Canolbarth - Cangen Aberystwyth / Mid Wales Jacks - Aberystwyth Branch

Login to get fewer ads

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 06:57 - Apr 28 with 1218 viewsLohengrin

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 01:16 - Apr 28 by Evanski

But the whole point of bilingualism is giving people choice. Many people in Wales choose to have their services in Welsh. There are many people in Wales who hardly use English because they're first language Welsh speakers and live in communities where the majority use Welsh in their day to day lives. Many of them don't feel confident using English - why should they be disadvantaged by having to use English when they don't feel comfortable doing so. As you say, it's all about choice.

I'm not for one moment suggesting that if you don't speak Welsh you automatically want the language to die, I'm just trying to get across the fact that in many communities Welsh is very much a living language, and must be given parity with English. For my part, I not only want the language to survive because it's my first language, but because it's what makes us different, it's the basis of our culture and identity. I wish more people had the opportunity to appreciate the poetry of greats like Dafydd ap Gwilym, Iolo Goch, Guto'r Glyn etc, poets who deserve international recognition up there with Donne, Shakespeare, Keats etc, but never will when not even a majority of people in the very country that they were from can read their works.

I'm not having a dig here mate, each to their own, but your road signage point is just ridiculous. There are many countries and regions in the world (Flanders, Ireland and Quebec to name just three) where there are bilingual signs without people feeling that cluttering is an issue.

Very well put indeed.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 08:09 - Apr 28 with 1194 viewslifelong

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 19:04 - Apr 27 by perchrockjack

Wrong.

When I have a dig, as you call it, you d better stay away from me.

I can be pretty brutal.

In no way would I slag off my country per se .i am offering an opinion I know many share.

Try this rig. Wales is a beautiful,land, we aren't a bad lot although painfully insular.

You can criticise your own but God help anyone else doing it. Scouser so, I remember are cracking at this. Rip the city to shreds but being proud, they ll splatter anyone else doing it.
I'm very proud of my roots ..ask proses or Lorraine but I ain't blind or stupid.

You still go to chapel

In the very sentence where you say you wouldn't slag off your country you do exactly that.

Go and have a lie down on the beach, are Lani's restaurants still going in Lanzarote? They used to do a mean steak when I was last there about 15 years ago, they're Italian restaurants on a Spanish Island with waiters that speak Spanish... Hope your not too outraged?
English / Welsh bilingual signs on 10:18 - Apr 28 with 1159 viewsyescomeon

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:41 - Apr 27 by union_jack

It's not a bloody miracle though is it?

You could keep a brain dead person 'alive' for ever on artificial respiration. That's how Welsh has survived. Propped up and forced down throats by politics and funding.

Natural selection would show us all how wanted it is.

That is just not true. Maybe in Swansea or wherever you are from it is the case, but I grew up in Pembrokeshire and many of my friends are Welsh speakers, in fact when I was in Swansea University two of my very close friends were Welsh speakers who would find it strange to talk to their family in English (unless of course a non Welsh speaker is about). I also lived up in Bangor for a bit and would get the bus over to Anglesey for Uni and I could get from my house to the university and only hear Welsh used. It is a living language and whilst everyone who speaks Welsh can speak English many people may be more comfortable or prefer to use Welsh. The should have that option, whilst you should have the option to not receive communications in Welsh if you don't want to.

Upthecity!

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 11:06 - Apr 28 with 1143 viewsperchrockjack

I seen it right but. Looks rather common now.

We re on princesa yaiza where everyone just ignores each other which is nice.

Not a welshie in sight, nor a scouser or even a Geordie.

Did you know me kids all got Welsh names.

Btw, you re wrong ...again. But love ha t bits

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 19:45 - Apr 28 with 1073 viewsHighjack

On the stretch of M4 near where I live there's a big electronic sign that flashes up warning messages like don't drink and drive, tiredness kills etc. It also sometimes has messages warning drivers of deadly hazards ahead.

Only problem is it flashes the message up in English then flashes it up in Welsh separately, so if a driver comes around the bend while it's in Welsh and they don't speak Welsh they've got to carry on hurtling down the motorway completely and utterly oblivious that the sign may say "Bridge snapped in half, death imminent" or something similar.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 21:24 - Apr 28 with 1052 viewsunion_jack

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 19:45 - Apr 28 by Highjack

On the stretch of M4 near where I live there's a big electronic sign that flashes up warning messages like don't drink and drive, tiredness kills etc. It also sometimes has messages warning drivers of deadly hazards ahead.

Only problem is it flashes the message up in English then flashes it up in Welsh separately, so if a driver comes around the bend while it's in Welsh and they don't speak Welsh they've got to carry on hurtling down the motorway completely and utterly oblivious that the sign may say "Bridge snapped in half, death imminent" or something similar.

That will be the message from WAG next.

"Not speaking Welsh may seriously harm your health"

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 21:46 - Apr 28 with 1044 viewsAndy1300

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 19:45 - Apr 28 by Highjack

Have you noticed on some stretches there are 2 bloody signs, one for English and one for welsh

Now that's a waste of money

Number 1 team in Wales

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 02:44 - May 1 with 948 viewsHumpty

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:52 - Apr 27 by union_jack

Really? Is that the best you can come up with? Really?

It's a waste of money and it is confusing, especially at road signs. Tail WAGging dog.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 22:52]

I'm not a Welsh speaker but strongly believe people who live in Wales should have to redo their driving tests if they're confused at road junctions if some Welsh words are on the signs.

They should also never be allowed to drive on holiday in a foreign country.

Less stupid people on the roads will be a benefit to all, particularly Welsh people and people who live in countries who's first language isn't English.
English / Welsh bilingual signs on 03:59 - May 1 with 940 viewsHumpty

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:54 - Apr 27 by Andy1300

A new school.

Look. Stop worrying. I'm pretty sure your kids will still be able to get an education in English if you want that. Like mine did.

It completely baffles me that so many non Welsh speaking Welsh people have such a furious antagonism to the Welsh language. I don't speak it myself but I read the letters in the Evening Post and wonder what the f*ck are these people so scared about?

"Yeah but I have too many letters in my post and some of them are in Welsh. And I can't cope with roundabouts if they are Welsh roundabouts and sometimes I crash into shops which costs the taxpayer money and stuff! And sometimes I hear them speaking it and I wonder if they are talking about me and calling me a c*nt! They do that see. And sometimes they're all chatting away in English in the pub that I'm outside and can't actually hear, but as soon as I'm in there and can hear they all start calling me a c*nt in Welsh. I think they do anyway as I don't speak Welsh and I don't know their Welsh word for c*nt. It's probably c*ntio. But I've heard they do it. A bloke from Liverpool told me!"

F*cking grow up people FFS!
English / Welsh bilingual signs on 08:46 - May 1 with 920 viewsperchrockjack

Scousers eh.
Just when you thought it was safe to get back into the water.

Fflint/flint

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:37 - May 1 with 869 viewsowainglyndwr

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 07:51 - Apr 27 by Andy1300

Amazing.

It would make no difference to my life if it wasn't there though

In fact, it would make a positive difference by not having to read the shite
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 7:51]

Its shite to you because you dont have or understand the culture of us Welsh people.
The language was here way before english.
Cymru am byth
English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:54 - May 1 with 853 viewsAndy1300

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:37 - May 1 by owainglyndwr

Its shite to you because you dont have or understand the culture of us Welsh people.
The language was here way before english.
Cymru am byth

So I take it that you are assuming I am English then.

You would be wrong.

I am welsh but don't need the shite language that is spoken in some parts.

English works just fine for me thanks

By the way, my main gripe is with the total waste of money producing everything twice, what a total waste of tax payers money.

Now get back into your cave and speak welsh to the other cave dwellers

Number 1 team in Wales

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:55 - May 1 with 852 viewsunion_jack

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 02:44 - May 1 by Humpty

I'm not a Welsh speaker but strongly believe people who live in Wales should have to redo their driving tests if they're confused at road junctions if some Welsh words are on the signs.

Less stupid people on the roads will be a benefit to all, particularly Welsh people and people who live in countries who's first language isn't English.

But the first language of Wales is English. Like it or not. WAG may want parity but numbers suggest otherwise.

And signs are confusing when they are in the same typeset next to eachother. I'd have more tolerance if the Welsh was in a different font, a Celtic style maybe like in Ireland I believe.

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:56 - May 1 with 851 viewsAndy1300

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 02:44 - May 1 by Humpty

What a pathetic post

Number 1 team in Wales

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:06 - May 1 with 835 viewsunion_jack

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:56 - May 1 by Andy1300

What a pathetic post

It took me a lot more words to say just that!

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:07 - May 1 with 835 viewslifelong

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:54 - May 1 by Andy1300

So I take it that you are assuming I am English then.

You would be wrong.

I am welsh but don't need the shite language that is spoken in some parts.

English works just fine for me thanks

By the way, my main gripe is with the total waste of money producing everything twice, what a total waste of tax payers money.

Now get back into your cave and speak welsh to the other cave dwellers

How can you class yourself as Welsh and then post that last sentence.

Very sad.
English / Welsh bilingual signs on 10:28 - May 2 with 783 viewsperchrockjack

Because ,rig, like me he s so pissed off with language fascists.

Language is about communication. No more.

If Welsh is Wales only attribute then God help us.
It surely divides more than unite, another reason Andy seen his arse.

I d stay away from bagillt as thecwaybthevlocals pronounce it would shock you.

So, let's cull this faux issue and get on with what Wales should be doing and attracting and creating well paid jobs.
As lovely leannecsaid, we re the poorest. That ..is..shameful

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024