Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vetch Field... 20:55 - May 1 with 9493 viewsTNT

... Your top three memories?

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Vetch Field... on 04:00 - May 2 with 2536 viewsStarsky

Anyone remember the open day in 1974 at the vetch (close season)?

It was billed as "a pageant of sport"

I had a great time.

It's just the internet, init.

Vetch Field... on 06:19 - May 2 with 2517 viewsjackal

Vetch Field... on 21:51 - May 1 by builthjack

The toilets
The bovril
The pasties

All petty awful

They all smelled the same.
Vetch Field... on 08:02 - May 2 with 2478 viewsdgt73

What about Lee bracey's performance against Liverpool in the FA cup in 1990. Outstanding.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Vetch Field... on 08:05 - May 2 with 2472 viewsbuilthjack

Vetch Field... on 06:19 - May 2 by jackal

They all smelled the same.

The funny thing is there was always long queues for all of them lol

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Vetch Field... on 08:20 - May 2 with 2458 viewsSlugster664

When I was a kid in the Double Decker feet stamping and 'singing' before the North Bank took over singing their 'rude' songs lol

Growing up, walking up the ramp to the NB to what always seemed an amazing atmosphere

On Boxing Day (83/84??) Myself and 4 other 15/16 years old, walking around the city centre thinking we're one of the 'lads' when about 40 scummers turn the corner and start chasing us down The Kingsway haha We got to The Vetch pretty quickly!

STID

Vetch Field... on 09:34 - May 2 with 2420 viewsjazzswan

Vetch Field... on 21:30 - May 1 by morningstar

I can't really work out how individual performances or goals can be included in best memories of the Vetch, but each to their own. For me it's:

Swansea v Chesterfield
Swansea v Leeds
Swansea v Hull

yep! same 3 games!
Vetch Field... on 10:12 - May 2 with 2394 viewsWhiterockin

1. First match in the old first division v Leeds.
2. Watching George Best play for Northern Ireland against Wales.
3. Tommy Smith kicking Ardiles 6 foot into the air.
Vetch Field... on 10:24 - May 2 with 2378 viewsepaul

Every memory mentioned in the thread since 75!!! to many to narrow down to 3

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Login to get fewer ads

Vetch Field... on 10:29 - May 2 with 2374 viewshydraulicjack

1 max tompsons volley
2 leeds ist game in div 1
3 robbie james shot v lincoln from 40 yds stayed 3ft off floor and nearly broke the post

worst memory losing 1.0 to bristol rovers after battering them all game

********************TRUST NO-ONE************************

Vetch Field... on 10:51 - May 2 with 2363 viewsunion_jack

Vetch Field... on 23:31 - May 1 by TNT

and... they are...

otherwise, post your bollocks elsewhere.

Let me get this right then.

I pick up Kilkenny on his error and then make a tongue in cheek quip about the sneaky edit and you think it's bollocks.

Seriously, this site must be a massive disappointment to you as threads seldom stay on topic.

I'll do what I want thanks.
[Post edited 2 May 2015 11:02]

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Vetch Field... on 10:57 - May 2 with 2361 viewsSwansNZ

3-0 v Bournemouth, Easter 1977 - my first game
2-1 v Cardiff, New Years Day 1980
5-1 v Leeds, 1981

I agree with pasties and bovril, standing on the wooden sleepers on the old East terrace.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Vetch Field... on 11:01 - May 2 with 2359 viewsDr_Winston

1. Hull
2. West Ham
3. Getting the f*ck out of there

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Vetch Field... on 11:44 - May 2 with 2320 viewsGixerJack

Standing on the pitch applauding Wrexham supporters after beating them in the Welsh cup final. (The last game)

Singing "where were you on Saturday" to the crowds walking around the pitch at a friendly against Man Utd.

Ruining a pair of new suede boots in 4 inches of piss in the toilets
Vetch Field... on 12:54 - May 2 with 2295 viewsEdmundo

1. Beating Man ure 2-0 in our first season in 1st div.
2. The win over Hull

3. The final game win over Shrewsbury

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

Vetch Field... on 23:07 - May 4 with 2157 viewsTim_Harry

1) Like most Swans fans, James Thomas's third against Hull has to be right up there. I thought he was mad for shooting when it seemed easier to take it on further for an easier shot. Never been happier to be proven wrong!

2) The atmosphere against Panathanaikos. The West Ham game has been mentioned here, but I was stuck in the East Stand for that one so never really got to be in the thick of it. I remember my friend's father, who was a very straight-laced, posh sort of chap, being amazed by it all. Someone kissed him on his bald head when we went 1-0 up. He wasn't used to that sort of behaviour!

3) My first ever game. Alan Shearer is absolutely spot on in that advert when he says that the biggest game is always your first. Mine was Arsenal home in 1981. My old man has always been a rugby man, but he couldn't resist taking me to the Vetch for this one. I remember it vividly. Walking up the ramp and seeing the pitch and the whole stadium for the first time is a great moment. I say 'whole stadium' like it was massive. Of course it wasn't, but for a six year old who had never been to a football ground before it really was huge. Oh, and Max Thompson's tap-in wasn't bad either!

It's tempting to put Gary Stanley's goal against Man City here. '101 Great Goals' was a very popular video back in those days and I was chuffed to be able to say that I was there to see one of the goals in it. Absolute screamer.
Vetch Field... on 09:38 - May 5 with 2063 viewsDewi1jack

Max Thompsons goal v the Arse
Ardilles being "given a warm welcome to Britain"
Beating Sliema Wanderers and looking at the Arses record and thinking "we can beat that!"

How the 'ell do you get it down to just 3?

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Vetch Field... on 10:26 - May 5 with 2040 viewsraynor94

Arsenal 1968
Luton (what a arse twitcher that was!)
Leeds

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Vetch Field... on 11:46 - May 5 with 2017 viewsSwaneeRiver

Spurs League Cup (Ardiles and all)
Bolton League Cup (1976 I believe)
Tosh's first game
Curtis 5 minute hat trick v Crewe
Chesterfield Promotion clincher
Hull game of course
Most matches between 1975 and 1983 were memorable
Also many in the years between then and the last ever game
Really too many to narrow it down to three
Vetch Field... on 11:53 - May 5 with 2013 viewsTaliesin

The glow above the stadium when walking down from the Wyndham.

The scummer dry humping a model of a Swan which was there because Mal Pope(?) was doing a spot..

The Copper with a dart sticking out of his head - needless to say we were playing Cardiff

Curtis' goal against Leeds

Friday night games.

Taking my son to his first match when he was 19 days old

My boy kicking his ball into the Away end goal after the last game. Moments later the posts came down for the last time. The last 'goal' scored at the Vetch.

Watching the North Bank being pulled down.

3 memories? There were so many, so , so many.

I miss her!
Vetch Field... on 12:02 - May 5 with 2005 viewsDull1Thomas

Vetch Field... on 22:26 - May 1 by morningstar

I remember the reserve games as a kid. I used to walk around to the north bank, sometimes I'd be the only one on there, as only the centre stand would be open, and if Ton Pentre (for example) were playing in red, I'd stand there alone imagining we were playing Man Utd! Heh heh! Great days!

I'd forgotten the reserve games and even schoolboys (youth or something) - there seemed to be game on every Saturday afternoon.
You could just turn up and see if there was a game on and get in.
And as a kid you could get up close to the players (and actually see what was going on) by sitting on the concrete edging in front of the North Bank without any hassle.
The, wait tip about 6 o'clock for the sporting post to see how we'd got on away from home along with a complete set of results.

Thanks for jerking that memory.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins step down?

Vetch Field... on 14:30 - May 5 with 1973 viewsthe_oracle

1. First game v Grimsby 1968 .One and only game my father took me to.
2. v Liverpool either first or second season in first division. During a quiet moment I shouted "Michael Robinson (who was playing wide close to the North Bank) you are a tw@t" He turned round looked at me and said "well that's not very nice is it". heheh.
2 1/2 Beating and hammering the Villa 1981/82 an evening game when they were league and European champs. I walked out shaking my head thinking f*ck me we just battered the best in Europe.
3. Playing there in a Swansea Senior League cup final in 2003 at the ripe old age of 45. Had the home dressing room. We won 2-1!
Vetch Field... on 16:09 - May 5 with 1921 viewsDewi1jack

Vetch Field... on 03:53 - May 2 by Starsky

8-0 mun not 9-0

8-1 mun

Even the mickeys wanted our lad released and fair play to Grobbelar

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Vetch Field... on 16:15 - May 5 with 1917 viewsCheddarjack

1 A Swindon Town fan getting a clip around the ear from a swans fan who must have been in his seventies and then slipping down the railway sleepers on the east bank into the awaiting arms of two of South Wales constabularies finest in the league cup in 1977.
2 Southend United's goalkeeper getting hit by on the back by an empty can of mushy peas in 1978.
3 Having to change my one year old son Jack's nappy in the police room under the North bank against Carlisle in 1996,the room emptied within seconds due to the smell.
Vetch Field... on 16:42 - May 5 with 1894 views3swan

So many but here's 3

Arsenal in the cup
The Leeds 5-1

The one that comes first to mind, is the game against Rushden when the whole ground ignored the game most of the time with 'We want Petty Out' echoing around the ground.

He knew his day had come
Vetch Field... on 18:08 - May 5 with 1851 viewscbrace1

I was very fortunate that my Father dragged me to the vetch at the age of 6. First game was 16 years ago, if my memory serves me right we beat Macclesfield 1-0 thanks to Walter Boyd. How cold was the East terrace!!! To answer your question:
1.) Beating Hull 4-2
2.) Beating P.N.E 2-1 (fa cup)
3.) the smell of the North Bank (weird I know)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024